Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

Only, it sounds like it tastes better if it is pressed-out first, and then decarbed in the little silicone tubs. Does that sound correct? (Or not correct?)
That's correct! Something else to consider is that it may not even be possible (the squishing folks here can chime in!) to press flowers that have been decarbed, as it leaves the buds with basically no moisture at all. Most folks press their flowers in the 62-68% range as I recall.

Press first, decarb after. :thumb:
I realized I do have an oven here, it just does not work
Grandpa Tokin used to decarb his in a toaster oven. Got one of those maybe?

That's correct! Something else to consider is that it may not even be possible (the squishing folks here can chime in!) to press flowers that have been decarbed, as it leaves the buds with basically no moisture at all. Most folks press their flowers in the 62-68% range as I recall.

Don't confuse bud moisture content with relative humidity. You press a bud with 62-68% moisture content and you end up getting wet. Better to press at 10-15% moisture content in a room with 62-68% RH

Umm, i ordered some "high accuracy" oven temperature gauges off of the Colorado river, so they should be here in two or three weeks. Is that accurate enough? Or is digital preferred? (Most of the digital ones had a probe.)

1691758100648.png

Right now we are using air fryers. It is kind of like a toaster oven, just with a whole lot of wind! I think you can adjust the temperature But I'm not sure.

I think I would like to check out the oven first, and see if I can fix it. it is larger (batch mode), and there's not all that wind. the broiler element kind of works. Maybe later today I can check the heating element. Maybe it is just a bad heating element??? (That would be great!!)

We have also have a crockpot, but that's kind of a longshot, because it's not really adjustable (low, medium, and high). And we have that Ella Bella thing on the way (whatever that is). So we should be able to get something going! (And if not, maybe we can buy one of the ovens we hope to install later, and use that in standalone mode??? The Spirit will give us a song!)

Don't confuse bud moisture content with relative humidity. You press a bud with 62-68% moisture content and you end up getting wet. Better to press at 10-15% moisture content in a room with 62-68% RH
Hi Skirk! Thanks.
OK, I am all washed up with regard to relative humidity, and BUD moisture content, etc.

I grew pot before on the West Coast, Seattle area, Puget Sound basin. There's a little moisture in the air, but not that much, and your bud would get crinkly and dry if you didn't bag it or jar it after it had been drying a few weeks.

right now we are in the Colombian tropics, which is a cool temperate mountain rainforest. (and it is weird because right now the natives say that winter is almost getting ready to end…)
At first I had a fan on everything, and then I took the fan off after I forget how long.
I've had buds drying out in open trays and also in cardboard boxes with the lids half open, and everything still feels fresh, and flexible. I figured that I should seal everything up (to keep it fresh), but it doesn't dry out.
I've been meaning to ask if I should stuff everything in plastic bags, but the purple Kush got some kind of mold while it was still curing, so I threw most of that out, and then I was not sure if I should put stuff in bags or jars or not.

do I need to get an accurate humidity gauge also? Or what do people use to measure humidity before they squish?
they had some five dollar throwaway packs that you could use to equalize your humidity at 62%. I figured I could get a plastic tub, and put maybe a small dish of water in there, assuming we are not already at 62%. But I don't know if that will really work or not.
If capsules is my new thing, then what do I need to do, to do it right? Thanks

I know that the moisture content of the buds isn't the same as RH in the air, but I don't recall anyone in this thread measuring actual bud moisture content. It's always a discussion of what the best RH in the jar is for squishing.

Have you decarbed in the oven and then put the flowers in the press? How did that compare to what happens if you pull the buds out of a 62% RH jar and squish?
Umm, i ordered some "high accuracy" oven temperature gauges off of the Colorado river, so they should be here in two or three weeks. Is that accurate enough? Or is digital preferred? (Most of the digital ones had a probe.)
That gauge is fine, and I think the Amazon is closer to you rather than in Colorado closer to me. :)

I know that the moisture content of the buds isn't the same as RH in the air, but I don't recall anyone in this thread measuring actual bud moisture content. It's always a discussion of what the best RH in the jar is for squishing.

Have you decarbed in the oven and then put the flowers in the press? How did that compare to what happens if you pull the buds out of a 62% RH jar and squish?

That gauge is fine, and I think the Amazon is closer to you rather than in Colorado closer to me. :)
Got it. I misunderstood.

Hi Skirk! Thanks.
OK, I am all washed up with regard to relative humidity, and BUD moisture content, etc.

I grew pot before on the West Coast, Seattle area, Puget Sound basin. There's a little moisture in the air, but not that much, and your bud would get crinkly and dry if you didn't bag it or jar it after it had been drying a few weeks.

right now we are in the Colombian tropics, which is a cool temperate mountain rainforest. (and it is weird because right now the natives say that winter is almost getting ready to end…)
At first I had a fan on everything, and then I took the fan off after I forget how long.
I've had buds drying out in open trays and also in cardboard boxes with the lids half open, and everything still feels fresh, and flexible. I figured that I should seal everything up (to keep it fresh), but it doesn't dry out.
I've been meaning to ask if I should stuff everything in plastic bags, but the purple Kush got some kind of mold while it was still curing, so I threw most of that out, and then I was not sure if I should put stuff in bags or jars or not.

do I need to get an accurate humidity gauge also? Or what do people use to measure humidity before they squish?
they had some five dollar throwaway packs that you could use to equalize your humidity at 62%. I figured I could get a plastic tub, and put maybe a small dish of water in there, assuming we are not already at 62%. But I don't know if that will really work or not.
If capsules is my new thing, then what do I need to do, to do it right? Thanks

if you hang your crop in a small bathroom its easier to control room RH.. hanging 1-2 weeks and into buckets..
with rh packs.. 62% .. takes 2-3 weeks to be ready for some pressing .. u dont want to press early..

varies through out the seasons... i manually control my bathroom rh.. .. Auto room be ideal...

i would not de carb flower b4 pressing yuck.. de carb the rosin after..

if u got lots of cash get one of these harvest and press your rosin in 24 hrs..

Hahaha, yeah!
Actually, the Amazon Basin is downhill from here, so technically we are in the upper Amazon basin here.
I just need them to open a branch office here, haha

if you hang your crop in a small bathroom its easier to control room RH.. hanging 1-2 weeks and into buckets..
with rh packs.. 62% .. takes 2-3 weeks to be ready for some pressing .. u dont want to press early..

varies through out the seasons... i manually control my bathroom rh.. .. Auto room be ideal...
ahhh, small bathroom... good idea.
I will have to work on that
i would not de carb flower b4 pressing yuck.. de carb the rosin after..
👍
if u got lots of cash get one of these harvest and press your rosin in 24 hrs..

That would be nice!! Haha!
no, I only have cash for medicine, and we are working to get this farm up and running. Everything else is deferred.
i have plenty of bud right now. I think I can ajust the air fryer temperature.
I had no time but somehow I got the oven working. I have no idea if it is accurate to the temperature gauge, or not. So I will try to get a temperature gauge and see if I can decarb either in the oven or air fryer, and make dust for now.
Then I need to figure out how to hang and maintain 62% humidity, so I can press and then decarb when the press gets here.
thanks.

Thanks, skirk. (Sorry, going through and re-reading, and I saw that I missed your post before.)

If you're going to be taking capsules, decarbing the flower first is fine (not a low low oven though: 240º for 60 minutes). But if you're going to be using the rosin for anything you will taste, be prepared for that toasted weed flavor to be all over it!
Ok, I am not sure if this is a rosin post, but Shed, you commented here.
240F is @ 115C.
NOT for pressing, but only for making dust (until my press gets here), the air fryer says it will do 110C, which is 230F. Will that work?
I can give it 3 shots of 20 minutes each.
1691930252612.png

Or does it have to be 240F exactly?

Decarb is a function of time and temperature. Increasing one will decrease the other. The cannabinoids will decarb even at room temps given enough time.

I do mine in the Instant Pot 110 mins at 110*C, but that is under pressure so I assume that's another twist in the calculation.

Decarb is a function of time and temperature. Increasing one will decrease the other. The cannabinoids will decarb even at room temps given enough time.

I do mine in the Instant Pot 110 mins at 110*C, but that is under pressure so I assume that's another twist in the calculation.
Hmmm... very good, Azi.
So, if you decarb for less time than that (i.e., partial decarb), do you get a mix of de-carbed and decarbed (original acid forms)?

Hmmm... very good, Azi.
So, if you decarb for less time than that (i.e., partial decarb), do you get a mix of de-carbed and decarbed (original acid forms)?
Yes, but the acidic versions have plenty of their own medical benefits, and some docs say better! So a mix of the two give you the best of both worlds.

The acidic versions hit different receptors in the body so you'd likely get a more robust profile from your harvest! That's what I'm starting to do, mix 'n match raw and decarbed, cbd, cbg, and thc strains.

240F is @ 115C.
NOT for pressing, but only for making dust (until my press gets here), the air fryer says it will do 110C, which is 230F. Will that work?
1691930252612.png

I recall the general guideline used to be 110°C for 110 minutes, and that was oven decarb so you should be good.

Just don't let it cool down between the 20 minute segments.

240F is @ 115C.
1691930252612.png

249f

@el gringuito, did you do any pressing yet? if so, how you liking it?
Regrowth, thanks for thinking of me. The press and everything arrived, but I just got buried under an avalance of new work, and I am not sure when I will be out.
I figured out how to turn off the fan in the air fryer, and decarb, so that means I am able to get what I need for right now--so I am planning to kick the can down the road for the foreseeable future.
When I get some time I will love to do some pressing. And in the meantime, I am making dust.
Its all good. I just have my work cut out for me for a (long) while. Looking forward to then!! 🙏🙏

Solventless Extracts (Rosin) Pressed Here!

Hello everyone, and welcome to Grandpa’s squeeze box. I’ve been receiving quite a few emails lately asking me about my extracts; specifically, about solventless, so I thought I would share exactly what I do again so everyone can see. This little tutorial is all about making solventless extracts some like to call Rosin. Basically, we’re simply going to apply heat and pressure together to extract the goodness inside those trichomes. Everybody ready? Jump on board...it’s going to be a smashing good time!

Before we get started let me explain what equipment I’m using. Every piece of equipment and each component can be purchased on Amazon. I made my device from a 20-ton press, aluminum blocks, a proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller), ceramic heaters, a thermocouple etc. I’m not going to go into detail here about building a diy press. This can all be accomplished with a hair straightener and a clamp too...that’s how I started. Let me also throw in this caveat...this is not a press I would use for commercial applications. This is entirely for personal medicinal use and enjoyment.

To build the press I basically drilled two holes in the top aluminum block and one hole in the bottom block. Two of the holes are not tapped and are used to slide the ceramic heaters into the center of each block. The other hole is tapped in the top block to house a thermocouple so the PID can read temperature. The PID is wired to the heaters, thermocouple, and power cord and I housed them all in a small black box. I had to tap a few more holes in the top block so I had a way of attaching to the press. Because I already had the press the other components cost me about $80-$100. There are YouTube videos on how to build and wire one if you are as inclined as I was:

Enough of that nonsense! You want to see some squeezes...

First off, I should mention that the proceeding is extremely addictive. You may find yourself having fun while you do this...just sayin.

Okay, step one is growing good weed to smash. If you’re having troubles growing enough dank to smoke then you probably don’t want to smash it. I normally have an abundance...yes, yes I do! :ganjamon:

Today we’re using about 10 grams of Grandpa’s GG (in two 5 gram bags). It’s pretty good stuff and is just coated in trichome goodness. I breakup the bud into manageable pieces so they can be stuffed into some 90 micron bags:

I then did a cold pre-press on the two pouches. I use a smaller 6-ton press to do that. I’m using this RAW parchment paper and it really works nicely:

I place the flattened pouch into the parchment and center it in between the two warm blocks. The first run I used 230 F (all readings from my PID. May not be accurate). The second run I lowered the temp to 225 F. I felt like the first one was almost reaching too hot because of the smell...not bad, just hot. If that makes sense. You can see a difference in the Ooze color IMO.

I press until I feel contact with the material and wait 30 seconds. After that I give a full press. I don’t have any gauge to tell me exactly how much pressure is being applied, but I can testify that it is a shit-ton. I smash the hell out of it...duh! I know, not very scientific, but I don’t really care. I get what I get...and it’s oh so good.

Well kiddies, here’s what it looks like coming straight out of the press:

Yummy! All I do is simply gather up the goodness and flatten it out. It’s dabbable immediately and I always sample a little after completed.

I hope you enjoyed watching Grandpa squeeze something. I know I enjoyed it immensely. Solvent-less extracts can be fun for the entire family. Be safe!

Edit: I don’t squeeze a second time any longer, but it can certainly be accomplished. I save the smashed pouches for a later alcohol extraction.
❤️ that shit ! Any chance of pointing me to the specs, so I can make my own? I’ve had a juice box mini sent from🇺🇸to 🇬🇧. But it can only handle two grams at a time . The postage was almost as much as the press. It dose the job, but I need more , bigger amounts. By the way in pressing bubble hash.

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom