Grandpa's 1st Grow - Soil - Tent - 300W LED - Blue Mystic & Northern Lights XL Autos

Re: Grandpa's 1st Grow - Soil - Tent - 300W LED - Blue Mystic & Northern Lights XL Au

UA...thank you. You're right... I have learned quite a lot in these last few weeks. I am simply embarrassed that this one went so poorly. I really can't imagine it going any worse...although I know it could have.
PW...haven't even thought about the next strains... But now that I have... I'm thinking possibly a 2 fast 2 vast from heavyweight seeds. Possibly a red poison or dark devil from Fast buds. I hear all three of these are very easy to grow.

Re: Grandpa's 1st Grow - Soil - Tent - 300W LED - Blue Mystic & Northern Lights XL Au

Thanks for the encouraging words, boom. Like I said my last post... I'm just simply embarrassed. You guys are truly awesome to be still around! Thanks all, and may God bless!

Nice strains for sure, and don't tell anyone but the first 4 plants i tried to grow i killed all 4 of them. Cooked them with nutrients.

PW...lol!
I have more of these three strains also. But I have more than two dozen of the dark Devil's... So at least one of those for sure. I am trying to use my multiples so that when I screw up... I still have at least one.

I think you'll have lots of support with your next grow. The Dark Devil is a really sweet auto, you'll like it i think.

Everything I have read and heard about it... I'm sure I will. I cannot imagine having any more support than I got here... And still blew it. But, I did learn a lot to apply to the next one, so it will have to be better, as you keep telling me. My goal is to prove you and everyone else right.

You will, start out proper and everything else will fall into place.

Nice strains for sure, and don't tell anyone but the first 4 plants i tried to grow i killed all 4 of them. Cooked them with nutrients.
I imagine everyone has a story or two of failure

I've been ruminating and scratching my head about what happened with this grow. I came up with this...

1. What I used was a miserable concoction that flat didn't work. The lava rock that I put in not only made the drainage way too high with the Pearl Light, it especially didn't allow their roots to grow easily and nearly as well as they should have.

Use the KISS method, keep it simple and do not try to re-invent the wheel. Grab a bag of Fox Farms Ocean Forest and if you just feel you must do something to improve the soil, only add perlite and no more then 10% more. Is it the best soil on the planet? No but it works and has a proven track record amongst 1000's of growers.

2. Never should have used the Miracle-Gro. Obviously too hot.

Miracle-grow is great for Tomatoes and a few other vegetable but NOT cannabis. If it was the only nutrient on the planet I might use it on my cannabis but only sparingly. You have way to many better options, use them.

3. The gnats and the lack of pH control, caused by my stupid lack of a pen.

break down and buy one and when you do, take Kelley in with you if you buy it locally and ask them to explain to her how to use it and store it properly.

4. Bad air. Obviously, the one fan was not enough. I will need another 6 inch clip on fan at least blowing air out of the tent directly. Ideally at least one inline fan with a carbon filter.

Ideally you want to exchange the air out of your tent once every 3 to 5 minutes. So if you have a 2 foot by 4 foot by 6 foot tent, that is 48 cubic feet of air in your tent and you need a fan that can move at least that much air every few minutes. A small 4 inch inline fan should do the trick. What this does is brings in CO2 to your tent for your plants so they can breath.

5. Lights. I never thought to keep the lights a certain height above them at all times. The light stayed way too high, even as they matured. So I will now keep them approximately 12 to 14 inches above the top of the plants.

This is one you will have to play with, set it at a specific height above your plants and give it about 4 days, just long enough so you can see a node or two of growth. If the nodes are super close together, give the plants a few inches more between them and the light. If the nodes are very far apart, bring the light closer. Since I do not use the specific light you are growing with you will have to figure out that sweet spot yourself, but once you find that distance where the nodes are nicely spaced, keep the light that distance from your plants. Check and adjust your light height about every 4 to 7 days.

These are the main ones I came up with along with a few minor ones that don't bear mentioning here. I don't know completely if I got it right, so anything that doesn't appear correct, please correct me. I am more than disappointed at my performance this first time out. I refuse not to learn from my mistakes. Again, I want to thank you all for sticking around and helping me out. I will continue to post pictures and make reports until Harvest Time. Any more advice for the next grow would be more than heartily appreciated. This next grow will also be documented here. God bless, everyone!

Everyone has failures, it is not the end of the world, just learn from your mistakes and each grow will get better and easier as you go.
Here are a few tips to help you with your next grow. Plan ahead, unless you have a portable air conditioner for your tent, growing inside in the summer months is very hard because the ambient temperatures are so high to begin with. Start your grow so that when you are growing the outside temperatures are dropping and the average ambient temperatures in the room your tent are in are easy to control. If you start a grow in the spring, plan to flip your plants into flower and finish the grow before the hot weather typically hits your area. If the plant says it flowers in 7 weeks, figure it will take 9. So if the warm weather typically hits your area the 1st of June be sure to flip them into flower no later then the last week of March.
One more thing, I am sure I sent you a few cloth pots, I believe they were 3 gallon smart pots, get rid of the clay and plastic pots and USE the cloth pots. They allow the plant to air prune their roots and establish a better root system.
Are there better ways to grow then what I am suggesting to you? Heck yes but they also require more detail and prep. What I am suggesting is keep it simple, use proven methods, they may not be the best methods known to the industry but they are proven to work. Learn to walk before you try running.

Give Kelley a big hug for me and I wish you both a great summer
OG:circle-of-love:

My first grow 20 years ago was terrible, it only lasted a month or two before I got mites real bad, then had this bright idea to put the plants outside in the middle of a north canadian winter to kill the mites. It killed the plants. Mites probably lived lol. I havent grown since. It is a lesson I still carry with me as your first grow will be a lesson to you. You will enjoy the fruits of this grow and your next one will be even better so, onward and upward.

OG... very sound advice as usual. Thank you, my friend! Especially for taking the time out of your busy day to type that. Like I said, that is Sound Advice and I will make it as easy and simple as possible. You're right. Walk before I can run, and I may never be able to run due to all the detail that is needed even for a simple grow like I have to do. We found three little cloth bags in what you sent, but I'm not sure if they are three gallons size. Seemed much too small for that. There was also one larger cloth bag with handles that seems like it would be closer to three gallons. We have been keeping all the stuff in it other than the bottles of nutrients and insecticides.
I know one thing we'll need to be done before we start again. The 10th must be sanitized and cleared out of those damnable gnats. I am going to assume the best way to do that is let it sit empty and dry for about a week, then spray it down with a light solution of water and bleach, allowed to drive and then wiped out well. Then wait at least a week before putting anything else into it. I am also thinking of adding a little shelf supported by cinder blocks to place the pots on so I can control the light height easier and more effectively.
Oooopps! There I go dot dot dot over-thinking again. Yes, one bag of FFOF and maybe a little bit more perlite, with the FF trio.
Thank you again my dear friend! Hope things slow down for you soon and may God bless! :circle-of-love:

I have read that vinegar and baking soda Solutions work as well as the ph up and PH down. I haven't been able to get solution measurements, however. Is it true that it is just as good? And does anyone know the measurements for solution?
I know I am going to have to use something to adjust the pH eventually, so I am trying to hit something that is as natural and organic as possible for this. If there are nutrients out there that are organic instead of chemical in nature to use instead of the trio, let me know please. I really don't want to go scrambling for things next time. Thanks a lot everybody for the encouraging words! They make a huge difference in a Blind Man's attitude. Believe me! We love you all and appreciate all you say and do. God bless, everybody!

Check out Mighty Grow, they're a new sponsor and have organic nutrients.

UA...thank you. You're right... I have learned quite a lot in these last few weeks. I am simply embarrassed that this one went so poorly. I really can't imagine it going any worse...although I know it could have.
PW...haven't even thought about the next strains... But now that I have... I'm thinking possibly a 2 fast 2 vast from heavyweight seeds. Possibly a red poison or dark devil from Fast buds. I hear all three of these are very easy to grow.
Don't be embarrassed Grandpa, none of us had a perfect run. I'm here with you also and we will make sure your next grow will be a huge hit!!

Thanks for the encouragement and positive thoughts, DA. It means more than you could ever imagine. I will probably soon start to draw out a plan using what I have learned for the next grow.

Back
Top Bottom