Grow Tent Size - 4x2 or 3x3?

Hoping to buy a grow tent on Black Friday. Planning on growing just two plants (autos) at a time. Would you recommend a 4x2 or a 3x3? Any preference between these two? Why?

Thanks!!
Vivosun use code SEVENDUST for a discount
Bigger better you will need it. You will collect plants easy. And run out of room fast.

Hoping to buy a grow tent on Black Friday. Planning on growing just two plants (autos) at a time. Would you recommend a 4x2 or a 3x3? Any preference between these two? Why?

Thanks!!

bigger is always better. 2 sq/ft per plant is a general rule of thumb for an indoor flowering plant.
most of us shovel more than we should into the available growing space. cannabis doesn't really like to be crowded.

The others said it perfectly. Grows tend to expand quickly so I would get the biggest tent you can for your space. Given the two options i’d go with a 3x3 for the extra sq ft.

if you could swing it a 4x4 would do nicely

Would love a 4x4. The tent price is fine. It's the light, exhaust, etc that I can't afford for a tent that size!

the exhaust and circulation fans will be the same between a 3 x 3 and a 4 x 4. as far as lighting i always recommend going one size up for proper coverage and sufficient wattage. so if you swing for a 3 x 3 you should look at which 4 x 4 rated light will fit.

next best is get the 3 x 3 kit and upgrade the light when possible in a grow or two.

the exhaust and circulation fans will be the same between a 3 x 3 and a 4 x 4. as far as lighting i always recommend going one size up for proper coverage and sufficient wattage. so if you swing for a 3 x 3 you should look at which 4 x 4 rated light will fit.

next best is get the 3 x 3 kit and upgrade the light when possible in a grow or two.
well said :high-five:

Lol!
This is reminding me of a question on another site about pot sizes.
If you're going with 2 plants a 2x4 is probably your best choice between the sizes you mentioned, IMO.
2 smaller lights are better than one big one as you can be more flexible with growing strains that grow to different sizes, and you'll get a more even par map.
Bigger tents and lights are great, but they aren't always an option.

If you are set on two plants, I think 4' x 2' would be easier so you're not reaching through pots
But there will come a time when you want to start seedlings while the main crop finishes, or try you hand at clones etc
Given that and the extra volume of air, I'd go for the larger size even if you only use half of it at first

Neither. The 2ft depth is tight if you train them to spread out. The 3x3 you have to arrange the plants on the diagonal to get the most out of the space. As mentioned above with the 3x3 if you want to trim,tie up or otherwise do maintance on the rear one you have to move the other plant.

Spiderfarmer and a few others make a 2.3 x 5. 2.5 would be better but the extra space gives the plant more space.

I have only run a 4x4. I am looking at a 5x5 in addition to the 4x4. Tents look large on the outside but get cramped inside very quickly.

Is 5 ft tall enough for a grow tent?
Debating the 4x2x5 tent from Vivosun.

I picked out (what I think) is a decent 2 plant set up from Vivosun for $320.
Just hoping that the 5 ft height will be enough.
The indoor grow will only be used during the winter.
If growing Autos are shorter, that would be ideal.

Once again, thanks for all the help / feedback!
Greatly appreciated.

more is always better. remember you have to stuff a light, extraction fan, and filter up there. maybe a circ fan or two as well. then plan for long running 3x stretching plants in flower if you love sativas lol.

if you can do taller, great, but work with what you have.

good entry turn key brand for a kit. check if they are one of the sponsors, and make sure to see about board discounts.

there may be other options if you cross shop the sponsors.

it could be tight, but you can make it work with training and grow style. all my plants finish about 3ft and i use shelving units as a floating floor to lift them for easy access.

there's no inherent advantage to autos. photos are easier to manipulate with fewer issues even with aggressive training to keep the canopy low. it can be done with autos though as well with enough experience.

go have a look at @Carmen Ray 's table top grow for inspiration on what you can do low.

Hi there Hawk,

I have found that training the branches outwards into a canopy is the best way for me to keep the plants low in height and redistribute the auxins, making many fat buds instead of one main cola.

I have an auto in full flower atm and it takes up 3.5 ft in height, including light, and 1.75 ft diameter.
I picked out (what I think) is a decent 2 plant set up from Vivosun for $320.

Once again, thanks for all the help / feedback!
Greatly appreciated.
I have been growing autos for 2 years now because I am not set up for photos. I'd recommend give them a try to see which you prefer. There are benefits to both. Autos can be tiny or they can be big, depending on genetics and how well dialed in the grow is. It's up to you to train the plants into the space you are using and I can tell you for sure that is possible.
go have a look at @Carmen Ray 's table top grow for inspiration on what you can do low.
Thank you Bluter!

my first tent was a generic brand off ebay and it was a 3ft x 3ft and under $100 Australian and the quality was good i have since upgraded to two 4ft x 5ft 2 in 1 tents with a 4x4 grow area and a 1ft x 4ft mother/clone section on the end.

my first tent was a generic brand of ebay and it was a 3ft x 3ft and under $100 Australian and the quality was good i have since upgraded to two 4ft x 5ft 2 in 1 tents with a 4x4 grow area and a 1ft x 4ft mother/clone section on the end.
I've always liked the looks of those combination 4x4 1x4 tents. I like the added space tagged on the side. Just enough room for babies, clones, and maybe a small mama plant. I'm gonna have to check out your tent and see how you have it setup. I have a 4x4 and a 4x8. I may consider replacing the 4x4 with a tent like you have.

I've always liked the looks of those combination 4x4 1x4 tents. I like the added space tagged on the side. Just enough room for babies, clones, and maybe a small mama plant. I'm gonna have to check out your tent and see how you have it setup. I have a 4x4 and a 4x8. I may consider replacing the 4x4 with a tent like you have.
Yea I brought 2 of them i actually wanted the other one vivosun had but apparently they stopped making it was a 9ft x 4ft 2 in 1 tent 4ft x 1ft mother/ clone area .

Two things I dont like about the @VIVOSUN 2 in 1 tent is the divider between the 2 area's is a separate piece with Velcro to attach it and it doesn't seal very well around the frame letting light penetrate into and out of the tent and when the divider is fitted you can't see the vertical poles in grow room on the end where mother/clone section is because the vertical poles are used in the mother/clone section to hold the shelf so you can't fit a scrog net or horizontal spreader bars to stop tent sides sucking in from the fan because there's no poles to clip too( pet hate ) . I had to buy 50mtr roll of reinforced aluminium tape to seal tent maybe they should throw a roll in with the tents if that's how they are going to make them.
And im going to have to make some poles where they are missing so I can fit horizontal bars around the inside of the tent to help with sides sucking in from extraction fan.
Oh and another thing I found a little annoying is the windows aren't see through plastic but fly screens and the covers aren't stitched on across the top just Velcro all around and Velcro doesn't line up very well could do with wider Velcro and stitch it across the top ( no need to be able to remove it )

Thanks for all the comments / advice!!

Hopefully, this will be my last Q on buying an indoor setup:
Found a Mars Hydro tent at 4x2x6. So a foot taller and about $35 more expensive than the Vivosun 4x2x5.
I'm assuming that it doesn't matter if I have a Mars tent and Vivosun equipment?
My other option is a Vivosun tent at 4x4x6.7 that's actually cheaper than the Mars tent. IF I go w. the bigger 4x4 tent, but still only plan on 2 plants at a time, can I stick w. the 4 inch inline fan / carbon filter setup or would I have to upgrade to the 6 inch fan / filter?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Back
Top Bottom