Growing A Legend: An Auto Tribute To Jack Herer

Mexican marijuana

Plus there is whole other story to stigmatize cannabis with the label "marijuana"...I never used it ("weed" is quicker and easier) but never thought about it much either until States started legalizing and I read more of the history of politricksters crafting laws to block it. I am training myself to refer to it now as cannabis...

Last weekend my wife and I went to a local 'supper club" where you eat with a dozen other people (family style)...often you don't know half of them and it's a cool way to meet new people (and talk about different things). One lady older than me asked "what do you grow at your farm?" and I calmly replied "pigs, chickens, and cannabis!" Big smiles from her and all the stories came out...her kids and husband are "into edibles"...

Even in a legal State people still have that stigma that it is wrong (somehow)...

"I know it's good, I bought it from a NEE-GRO" - Spalding (Caddyshack)

I try to use the term cannabis but usually weed is what comes out.

Yeah there's still lots of stigma with this, even in Canada, but it's mostly the old-school self-righteous religious drinkers and cigarette smokers that look down on it I think.

I worked law enforcement for many years in the Navy... To the point where I taught at the academy. I would bounce assholes like that from the academy on the regular. They were just future problems waiting to happen. It takes a pretty level head to be a legit cop but sadly, too many morons slip through the cracks. I can only imagine the civilian sector is just as bad if not wayyyyy worse (my opinion)
I have found that the military is just a microcosm of society. Its the same as the civilian world, just a smaller scale. There are liars, thieves, cheaters, etc just like in the civilian world.

Plus there is whole other story to stigmatize cannabis with the label "marijuana"...I never used it ("weed" is quicker and easier) but never thought about it much either until States started legalizing and I read more of the history of politricksters crafting laws to block it. I am training myself to refer to it now as cannabis...

Last weekend my wife and I went to a local 'supper club" where you eat with a dozen other people (family style)...often you don't know half of them and it's a cool way to meet new people (and talk about different things). One lady older than me asked "what do you grow at your farm?" and I calmly replied "pigs, chickens, and cannabis!" Big smiles from her and all the stories came out...her kids and husband are "into edibles"...

Even in a legal State people still have that stigma that it is wrong (somehow)...

"I know it's good, I bought it from a NEE-GRO" - Spalding (Caddyshack)
I used to call it pot when I didn't smoke it....even a year and a half ago. Now I am very particular to refer to it as cannabis to anyone not on this site. I might use weed but I do my best to make a point of trying to use cannabis. No need to help the machine with any further brainwashing.

I have found that the military is just a microcosm of society. Its the same as the civilian world, just a smaller scale. There are liars, thieves, cheaters, etc just like in the civilian world.
Oh yeah.
I've seen gangs & dope dealin' on the ship. Heard about plenty of murders, rape & all kinds of other crap.
It used to be a lot worse when courts would send people to the recruiter instead of a jail sentence. They seem to have dialed that back a whole bunch in the last 15 years or so.

Sounds about right. And don't forget about the druggies.

Oh yeah.
I've seen gangs & dope dealin' on the ship. Heard about plenty of murders, rape & all kinds of other crap.
It used to be a lot worse when courts would send people to the recruiter instead of a jail sentence. They seem to have dialed that back a whole bunch in the last 15 years or so.
I went through Basic with a few guys who were sent there by the court.

LOL......microcosm covers it.

We had gays, druggies, gang members, smellies, jocks, nerds, all of it. If its in society....its in the military. The only difference is that sometimes things are hidden a little better.....especially when I was in (1989-2011). I talk to buddies that are still in and I am so thankful I am out now. I have buddies that are MGySgt's and SgtMaj's and they tell me about having to deal with sexual harassment complaints of men on men and issues with Transgenders and other stuff that just wasn't an issue when I was in. We had enough to worry about training for mission accomplishment without any of those additional distraction. So much of their time is wasted on personnel issues instead of leading Marines.

I went through Basic with a few guys who were sent there by the court.
That program was coming to an end when I joined in 89. We had a guy at my first duty station that just didn't fit in as a Marine. I asked him why he joined and his response was "It was either 8 years in the pen or 4 years in the Corps.....both are prison so I picked the shorter sentence"

Been doing the same thing here since I was fifteen and read Jack's book. I also watched Woody Harrelson's "Grass" the same year. I wrote a high school paper on why they should legalize it, and the only reason I found to refer to it as "marijuana" instead of "cannabis" is to differentiate between the product (dried cannabis flowers) and the plant ( cannabis ). That's why I would rather use "slang" like weed or pot, since they have just as much validity as "marijuana".

Sometimes you just can't escape the fact that it's the most popular term to refer to it in the "proper" vernacular. I feel like sometimes people think you're just trying to be euphemistic when you say "cannabis" instead of marijuana. Like when someone says "spirits" instead of liquor. Then to try to explain to them that you're just trying to be accurate and that "marijuana" is really just a term invented out of this campaign of oppression, people kind of tune out.

But I feel like the more we use the term cannabis, and go out of our way to say "cannabis flowers", the more people will come to realize that is the proper term and it's not a euphemism. I just kind of feel funny saying it sometimes. I don't think it helps that they are calling it "medical marijuana" because people love alliteration.

However, taking a plant science class, my instructor did point out that in a clinical standpoint, there is need to differentiate between the botanical reference of "cannabis" as a plant, and the social and cultural representation of "cannabis" as the product we consume, especially from a taxonomy standpoint. For example, what we call "hemp" is just Cannabis Sativa L. that produces <= 1% THC, but what the government classifies as "marijuana" is just Cannabis Sativa L. that produces > 1% THC. Meanwhile, no actual consumer or smoker in their right mind would call that "weed", so "drug cannabis" just seemed to crop up in the scientific community to refer to Cannabis Sativa L. that produces quantities of THC significant enough to be sough after as a recreational drug.

Also since this thread is in tribute to Jack, I'd just like to point out, you can read Jack Herer's book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" for FREE on his website. Chapter 4. and 5. cover this all pretty well.

Emperor « JackHerer.com

RIP Jack Herer

Been doing the same thing here since I was fifteen and read Jack's book. I also watched Woody Harrelson's "Grass" the same year. I wrote a high school paper on why they should legalize it, and the only reason I found to refer to it as "marijuana" instead of "cannabis" is to differentiate between the product (dried cannabis flowers) and the plant ( cannabis ). That's why I would rather use "slang" like weed or pot, since they have just as much validity as "marijuana".

Sometimes you just can't escape the fact that it's the most popular term to refer to it in the "proper" vernacular. I feel like sometimes people think you're just trying to be euphemistic when you say "cannabis" instead of marijuana. Like when someone says "spirits" instead of liquor. Then to try to explain to them that you're just trying to be accurate and that "marijuana" is really just a term invented out of this campaign of oppression, people kind of tune out.

But I feel like the more we use the term cannabis, and go out of our way to say "cannabis flowers", the more people will come to realize that is the proper term and it's not a euphemism. I just kind of feel funny saying it sometimes. I don't think it helps that they are calling it "medical marijuana" because people love alliteration.

However, taking a plant science class, my instructor did point out that in a clinical standpoint, there is need to differentiate between the botanical reference of "cannabis" as a plant, and the social and cultural representation of "cannabis" as the product we consume, especially from a taxonomy standpoint. For example, what we call "hemp" is just Cannabis Sativa L. that produces <= 1% THC, but what the government classifies as "marijuana" is just Cannabis Sativa L. that produces > 1% THC. Meanwhile, no actual consumer or smoker in their right mind would call that "weed", so "drug cannabis" just seemed to crop up in the scientific community to refer to Cannabis Sativa L. that produces quantities of THC significant enough to be sough after as a recreational drug.

Also since this thread is in tribute to Jack, I'd just like to point out, you can read Jack Herer's book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" for FREE on his website. Chapter 4. and 5. cover this all pretty well.

Emperor « JackHerer.com

RIP Jack Herer
I grew up calling it "dope" but I don't use the word marijuana except when referring to my dad's "medical marijuana" card. I try to call it cannabis in conversation about my growing, and my family thinks "dope" is outdated so I've gone to calling it weed like they do.

And on the topic of changing the words we use to talk about what we do - to gain legitimacy in the world - here is an advertisement I passed today on the way to work. It's for the MedMen dispensaries, and they want to elimiate the word "stoner."

Change the language, change the minds.

Stoner definitely has a derogatory ring to it in my ears.
Haha! How about "burn out" lol... That's what my grandparents called me through High School & College.

That program was coming to an end when I joined in 89. We had a guy at my first duty station that just didn't fit in as a Marine. I asked him why he joined and his response was "It was either 8 years in the pen or 4 years in the Corps.....both are prison so I picked the shorter sentence"
So did he leave the Marines as a reprobate or did it clean him up?

So did he leave the Marines as a reprobate or did it clean him up?
Well he wasn't my favorite person so I never held a high opinion of himself. He tended to be more concerned with his own well being than in being a Marine.

Woohoo! Guy's pulling out of Ontario in a few hours. I seriously thought I'd be starting to feel anxiety by about now but it's nothing but pure excitement. I'm probably going to start a thread shortly so I'll post the link to it here.

Well he wasn't my favorite person so I never held a high opinion of himself. He tended to be more concerned with his own well being than in being a Marine.
Yeah, it's not like he was there of his own free will. That would be different.

I was one of the nerds myself. Kinda still am.

Back
Top Bottom