Hafta's 100% Sativa Panama Multi-Stage Harvest CST Plus Droughting

I cut one of the exposed popcorn buds to check out the trichomes following decapitation (Phase 1 harvest) and exposure to high intensity light for the first time. I photographed some interesting things. Please chime in if you have seen this before or if you have a guess as to what this is.

These look like flat trichome "bristles". Are they common?

PP1 D13 POPT-1.jpg
PP1 D13 POPT-2.jpg
PP1 D13 POPT-3.jpg

How about double-headed trichs?

PP1 D13 POPT-4.jpg
PP1 D13 POPT-5.jpg
PP1 D13 POPT-6.jpg

How about double-headed trichs?
It does look like some double headers from bifurcating stalks in those pics. Interesting what you can see close up. On mine, I have noticed some trichome heads that seemed to have merged with their neighbours and become larger.

Two weeks .....

I thought I would provide a legend for the timing of the photos.

If you hover over a photo you will see something like this:

F54 D96-1-1
F = number of days in flower (12/12)
D = total days since germination
-1 = number of photo taken that day
-1 = number of version of that photo

PP1 D10 C-1-2

PP1 = Post Phase 1 harvest ( P1 Harvest was performed on F64 D108)
D = number of days since PP1
C = control bud
-1 = control bud #1
-2 = number of photo taken of that control that day

I harvested the middle 2 x 2 area of the cabinet, leaving the outer 6" on each side with original fan leaves and buds. There are approximately 200 popcorn buds exposed. Here is a comparison from PP1 D2 and PP1 D13.
PP1 D1-1 (2).JPG
PP1 D13-1 (2).JPG

Same lighting in each photo.

As you can see, the leaves are coloring up and new trichomes are arriving along with new pistils.

Another first, for me anyway.

I noticed a distinct accumulation of "whiteness" beginning to show on a few buds. It looked abnormal for simply being a concentration of trichomes so I decided to photograph.

PP1 D15-1 (2).JPG

I then pulled out the microscope and discovered .................

Trichome glaciers?

Trichome Glacier PP1 D15 T-4.jpg

Hopefully this is a reaction to the sudden increase of light and UV intensity when the top of the plant was decapitated. I will continue to monitor and update.

It's been 18 days since the Phase 1 harvest and there are some changes happening.
Up to this point the plant has cannibalized a couple of hundred leaves, large and small. That has slowed and the plant is showing it is trying to protect the buds it has.

Trichome production has increased on the buds

PP1 D18-5P (2).JPG

and there are new white pistils showing up everywhere

PP1 D18-1P.JPG

even on one of the original colas. It's getting pretty frosty also.

PP1 D18-4P.JPG

There are a couple of hundred of these

PP1 D18-2P.JPG

@nivek,
I also was surprised by the small internodal spacing and the width of the leaf fingers.
The seed is a Panama Fem from a reputable supplier (who shall remain nameless on a thread).
The always essential "test buds", taken four weeks early and right at harvest, had the Sativa effects.
All that being said, this is the least "airy" Sativa I have grown.:Namaste:
Is the breeder like the highest or lowest card in a deck? If so, that is one I'm growing on this years second run? Hoping for a Punta Roja pheno:cheesygrinsmiley:

Phase 1 is complete.
Phase 1 harvest spent 6 days drying in the homemade dry box, 18" x 18" x 30".

Dry box-1.JPG

Exhaust fan w/adjustable speed for temp/RH control
Seedling temp mat for temp control
Temp/RH readout

Dry box-2.JPG

Five 1/4" dowels to hang branches using paper clips. The box will hold a couple of pounds of newly cut and trimmed branches.

Dry box-3.JPG

Trays for holding wet towels for additional humidity.

It took six days to dry under the following conditions. Target was 75 deg and 40% RH.

1650221404058.png

The buds were removed from the branches and spent a couple of weeks in sealed canisters with Boveda 62% packets. The canisters were opened and emptied daily for air circulation and inspection ( I might have sampled some as well).

Today the buds were spread out one more time and then placed in their forever jars. The final yield from Phase 1 was 172 grams.

Phase 1 Harvest 172 grams.JPG

There are some pretty nugs ........

Phase 1 Nug.JPG

The jars I use are designed for organic substances. They are amber to prevent UV damage and once they are tightened, they seal completely. They also reseal very well. Each 9 ounce jar will hold around 7 grams of cured bud while leaving 25 - 30% head space so the contents can be rolled and turned once a month without opening the jar. The 7 gram content makes sure you are not drying out bud before it can be consumed. The jars are short enough to store in a cool, dry place (like under the bed). Replacement seals can be purchased, so the jars can be re-used numerous times.

Storage jars.JPG

Happy Easter everyone.

@Maritimer ,
I know you have just finished droughting your plant. I hope you haven't harvested yet.

I came across something unique that may have been caused by the GRN's reaction to decapitation. I have found a resin ball on a damaged leaf. When touched with a toothpick it reacts exactly like pine resin. It does not wet the toothpick and settles back to its original shape. I have damaged and torn thousands of leaves and have never seen this type of reaction. Whether the resin is being generated from the roots and sent to the extremities or the plant is extracting the resin from the leaf to protect the buds, it looks like an increase in resin. I will damage another leaf to try to duplicate this.

Perhaps this is a different reaction from GRN and it may be cumulative to droughting. You might consider harvesting the middle 80 - 85% of your plant and letting the remainder go for another three or four weeks.

PP1 D20 Resin-1.JPG
PP1 D20 Resin-2.JPG

It does make for some great photos.

PP1 D20 Resin ball-1.jpg
PP1 D20 Resin ball-2.jpg

Hi Hafta,
Is your garden outside? Sadly, I am suspicious the resin ball was not produced by your plant. Cool photos and great attention to detail.

Hi Hafta,
Is your garden outside? Sadly, I am suspicious the resin ball was not produced by your plant. Cool photos and great attention to detail.
I am growing in a 2 x 3 x 6 cabinet indoors. There is nothing above the leaf but the LED. There is nothing dripping from the LED. The resin is directly connected to the damage on the leaf. See photos below.

PP1 D21 Cabinet resin-1_LI.jpg

PP1 D21 Cabinet resin-2_LI.jpg

PP1 D21 Cabinet resin-3_LI.jpg

Looks clean for sure. Learn something new every day! With your investigative approach to your garden, it should come as no surprise to me that you are finding things others may have missed. I am loving that! Just because most of us are consumers does not mean we all just sit on the couch eating doritos all day. I limit my doritos. lol

at your service Commodore @Hafta :hookah:

Could be guttation?
This is definitely not water seepage. It is the consistency of pine tar (tree sap) and is not coming from the leaf edges or tips. ( I had to look up "guttation"). You can see below where I touched, and lifted the side of it slightly, with the toothpick. It resumed its "spherical" shape once I removed the toothpick. The location of the ball did not change.

PP1 D20 Resin ball-1_LI.jpg

Eventually I will remove it and see what it tastes like.

Phase 2 is complete.
The plant has been in 12/12 for 88 days.
Phase 1 harvest was at 64 days when 85% of the tops were removed. The buds are in jars and the high is very potent and uplifting. It also lasts for three or four hours and the fades away.
As you can see from the photos below, many trichomes have begun to turn amber.
The goal of multiple harvests was to provide two different highs from the same plant, to see the effects of limited decapitation and to help determine the desired time in 12/12 for this strain.
I will remove the Control cola C-2 and approximately 20 - 25 other branches (there are about 100 total branches). The remainder of the plant will be exposed to an attempted droughting.

C-2 P1 harvest day

Post Phase 1 Harvest D1 Control 2.JPG

C-2 P2 harvest day

PP1 D24 C-2-2.JPG

C-2 P1 trichomes

PP1 D1 trich control 2.jpg

C-2 P2 trichomes

PP1 D23 C-2-5T.jpg

Back
Top Bottom