Hang drying vs. box drying?

tk86high

Happy October, Tis the season to harvest (in most parts of the world).

So Whats better hang drying or box drying ?

Ive done box drying and buds were ready for curing in 3-5 days depending on size. What about hanging ?

Maybe somebody could say some pros or cons of each?

Thanks

I haven't had the opportunity to do either .... yet. But, I am leaning towards hang drying. Actaully, I am leaning towards hang drying using a hanging net drying rack. The reason I want to do this is for better air flow. If you lay anything on a surface, whether that be a hard surface or something like a paper bag. You are going to trap moisture between the bag and the nug. I would be afraid to get mold. But, if you hang it, air hits it on all sides. I believe you would get a better dry that way. But, that is just my own personal theory. You would have to do a side by side to compare.

I've done both with similar results. Hang drying is a 1 step program where box drying you need to be more aware of mold and flip the nugs a few times. Either way, I'm jealous that you are harvesting and I am germinating..

Well I guess there is really no difference , So i think ill go with boxes , hanging and drying seems an effort, thought there would be some more pros to hang drying it . but i guess its just an old skool technique as thats how older generation dried their clothes so they thought to dry their weed buds the same way. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Hanging allows a slower cure. If you are in a low RH enviroment it would be better to hang for a slower dry. I suggest both ... a box to hang in. This way dust, bugs and so on are limited while hanging

I actually follow the Buckshot method and hang dry in a box. The other advantage of using a box is that you can control airflow by opening or closing the flaps. I cut a hole on the side of the box toward the bottom and then just open the top lid of the box to regulate how much air passes through. Not a very scientific method, but it does give me some control.

For my first harvest, I built some simple screen racks to fit in my dresser drawer. I didn't have the privacy to hang them out for all to see. That worked great, but just remember to open the drawer and turn the buds as much as possible to prevent mold. I had no problems with it. I have also threaded floss inside of a big cardboard box to hang dry, which worked well. I would say do whatever you need to depending on your situation, but always allow for plenty of air exchange and keep them out of the light. And always: patience, patients!

I recently had great success using both methods. I did 5 days of hang drying with a little circulating fan moving air around the basement. Temps were a steady 72 degrees with about a 45% RH. Then, after the hang dry, I placed the buds in a shoe box with the cover about 50% on for 2 days. After that, into the jars the buds went. 3-4 weeks later - I got some nasty, stinky, potent sour diesel. :circle-of-love:

I think using both methods is a good idea. The hang drying gets most of the moisture out but the box extracts just a little more before doing the jars. Ill be doing this from now on.

Ive done both .........when box curing I was told to turn the buds every day which knocks off some of the trichomes maybe because of how I do it ...I always have an empty bow , place it over bud box and flip .....I had a piece of glass under boxes and scraped up some beautiful natural hash ....
Once buds are hung , no need to touch them for a week I will continue to do both

I've done both with similar results. Hang drying is a 1 step program where box drying you need to be more aware of mold and flip the nugs a few times. Either way, I'm jealous that you are harvesting and I am germinating..
What about hanging them in the box, for example with some sort of cross bar or string to hang them on inside of the box🤔 just an idea

What about hanging them in the box, for example with some sort of cross bar or string to hang them on inside of the box🤔 just an idea

you need watch your rh like a hawk around cardboard. it can act as a desiccant. works best in higher rh.

No doubt, I know that, just wondering if any one tried hanging then inside instead of laying them

i have a cardboard wardrobe box i set up as a drying cabinet if needed. there are a few who've done it. some folk add little fans and / or line the box with plastic.

Back
Top Bottom