Help

You mentioned in the beginning that you feeding RO then you said your tap is about 350ppm. Which are you using RO or Tap? I'd feed ever so lightly every watering. They shouldn't need calmag this early or rather i've never run into issue. I use a one part powdered nute and even then I don't need calmag.

Also I looked at the first set of pictures. Water more slowly so you're not soaking the seedling in your nutrient mix. You want the medium to have the nutes, not on your seedling/s.

Hi.

Make sure you feed nutrients every day. This is the biggest mistake people do with coco. In veg the pH can be as low as 5.2 and plants like it lower unless you are using a product like AN PH Perfect then it's not as important.

Don't worry about your run off. Just feed in the region of 700ppm daily and set pH between 5.2 and 6.2.

You CAN NOT over water coco. Unless it is sitting in its own run off then that can cos all kinds of problems. In coco never let the medium dry out completely. Doing so do will damage the roots badly.

So in essence never give plain water until its time to flush. Always give nutrients daily ( its hydroponics not soil). And keep pH between 5.2 and 6.2. If you think you've over fed or messed pH up, just run a nutrient mix of 500ppm through at the correct pH. Finally you should only need to use calmag if growing under led if you are using tap water.

Hope this helps. Check out my 'how to grow in coco with feed schedule' it's designed with beginners in mind.

@Cultivator

Wow thanks this is a lot of info and broken down really well I am also going to have a look at your other journals!

Just looking for some clarification regarding "Finally you should only need to use calmag if growing under led if you are using tap water."

I am using tap water and a 600 W LED so based on what you said I should add some calmag, correct?

Normally in coco you don't really need to add calmag when using tap water as most water companies add calmag to their water, at least in Europe anyway. But led puts more demand for it. There is science behind it but without complicating things you should always add calmag when growing under led.

Add 50-100ppm of calmag to the water, then add base nutrients.

@Cultivator About to feed them using your schedule. I'm starting at the "first transplant" week

I just mixed it up.
My tap water is 0.7 EC
Added calmag 0.2 EC (total E.C 0.9)
Added 1.0 EC veg nutes (total EC 1.9)
pH 5.3

Does this sound correct (pH reading is a little on the lower end, left the mix to sit and will make a final adjustment to 5.8)

That should be fine. I've had starting water of 0.9ec in Spain and I grew some of my best plants with that water. I'd just bump ec 0.1 with calmag, can always add more if needed. I like to use the minimum amounts. You won't need to readjust pH. 5.3 is fine. I set my pH once per week when I do my tanks and allow it to fluctuate. I'm doing multiple 1000litre tanks and it's fine. Only adjust down if it goes about 6.4.

Curling, drooping, and brown edges and tips have almost completely disappeared overnight. Even the plant suffering from bad chlorosis has its leaves standing up now. Thanks so much, not just for helping me here but all you do in this community, I've been reading through your journals and there's so much to learn! @Cultivator

thanks for telling me not to spray the leaves, im pretty sure some of the odd colouration and droopiness in them is from me using nutes as a foliar spray. @Shaggn
20210214_140717.jpg
20210214_140704.jpg
20210214_140712.jpg
20210214_140658.jpg

Hey guys I am seeing what appears to be white pistils on one of my seedlings any ideas whats going on here? Is it cause of all the stress from the nute lockout and stuff?
20210215_230715.jpg

More than likely stress related if that's even what they are. I don't think I've ever seen that before on a seedling. Could also be the leaf sets for those nodes. We'll see over the next couple days.

@Shaggn @Cultivator i was thinking of adding a 1mL of h2o2 3% at my next feed to help clear out any built up bacteria in the coco. At one point one of the seedlings had a twin and it died from "damping off". Any input as to whether its a good idea? Mixed reviews on forums... wondering if you guys have some personal experience with it?

And also do you guys think I should just kill these seedlings and start fresh? I have more seeds and maybe at this point trying to save these is more of a waste of time and nutes, than it is beneficial? If ill never get a decent harvest should I continue to pump nutes into them? Just wondering your opinions I know ultimately its a choice I have to just make.

Back
Top Bottom