Hempy Headquarters

Small perlite will wick best. Mixing sounds interesting. You could also use the hydroton in the reservoir.
:ganjamon:
Right. I've got a big bag of it left over from an aquaponics project and it seems to hold moisture pretty well. That's different from wicking moisture to be sure, but probably worth the experiment.

I can chime in on hydroton/perlite mixes. I had a butt ton left when I switched from DWC to hempy. And you know, I paid for it so why not? Best uses I have found for hydroton is in the rez level, helping to reduce those pesky hole clogs and as a top to hold moisture in when it's hot. Im breaking my bag out again now as I'm going on vacation. It's hot as hell and I'm going away for 7 days... Speaking of which, does anyone have plans for a simple auto-watering system I can whip together in a week? I'm going to go search
This is all just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

@Lazarus13
Okay, this is what I did a couple of years ago. Keep in mind that it isn’t strictly hempy. ;)

Equipment:
30 gallon “rubbermaid” tote

Black flexible hose that fit the output on the pump (1/2”ID?)

Pond pump (I used this one)
2540981F-380B-47B7-A719-3059930B5FE3.jpeg

2 Hose clamps (one around the folded over end of the hose and one at the output of the pump)

I drilled 4 holes in the hose at the location of each plant (the hose was flexible enough to loop around the inside top of each pot).

Since it was hempy, I just ran the pump a couple of minutes a day to refill the reservoir in each pot.

I'm worried I may have over watered my hempy. r/sarcasm

She's about 6 days old, I just moved her into this hempy cup with 100% horticulture grade perlite. Watered the surrounding area with 1/4 strength nute solution, until runoff.

8 hrs later and she was not looking happy so I unpacked her a bit from the perlite, is it possible the coco jiffy puck is keeping the little roots water logged? Guess I'm not sure anymore exactly how much water I should be giving at this stage, perlite seems to be retaining a lot.

20210710_121333.jpg
The pucks are fine if you water with a dropper. I also leave the top third above the surface. Just back fill as the roots show on the sides. Forces the tap to go deep.

The pucks are fine if you water with a dropper. I also leave the top third above the surface. Just back fill as the roots show on the sides. Forces the tap to go deep.
Good to know, thanks!

So you're saying use the dropper to keep the puck wet, or the perlite surrounding the puck?

Hey Hempy-ites,

I've decided to join your little corner of the growing world and start a Hempy container.

I'm in the process of conducting several experiments relating to making my own organic fertilizers (link in my sig) and am at the point where I want to try them out in a basic substrate to see just how effective they might be on their own.

I was going to use a simple seed starting mix of 50/50 peat and perlite, but the pH issue with peat brings its own challenges and, after reading through @FelipeBlu's Outdoor 2020 grow journal, I was inspired to give straight perlite a go.

I considered this method a few years ago when I first started growing but wanted to grow organically and there are several issues to maintaining an organic hempy pot, so I decided to go with soil. I grow in a cabinet with very limited real estate and therefore my pot sizes max out at well below the minimum 7 gals suggested to maintain the microbeasties and be able to load enough amendments to sustain a plant thru harvest.

My soil grows have been lackluster at best due to the small pots sizes and my habit of overwatering, so this might be a great solution for me if it works.

Soooo, today I took a cut, dunked it in aloe and stuck it in a little perlite Hempy propagator cup w/dome which I misted and plan to leave alone for a couple of days. Assuming I can grow roots on this thing, my journey into the abyss will commence.

I may end up proving the accepted wisdom that organics and hempy reservoirs are not a great combination, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

So, in the name of science, I will take the leap!

@FelipeBlu
I ran something similar last time I went away. Something went awry and 10 gallons of nutrient solution flooded my tent. My cobbling time is limited cuz, you know... Life. So I took the lazy route and ordered a small all-in-one automatic system. I tested it out and it will serve it's purpose. Fingers crossed.
I know BtzGrow from chatting on here a while back. I'm so infrequent on here anymore... So damn busy all the time. I'm going to post some pics before I leave next week

All right. Two days in and I can already see this Hempy stuff is going to be a problem. I've already started a cut in a hempy cloner, plan to transition one of my soil plants to hempy today, and find myself looking at every container I see in my house or the stores and imagine what a plant would look like in it sitting in my cabinet.

Sure, it's fun and exciting now, but I can already see my fascination with this approach could quickly become unhealthy. Does anyone know of a Twelve Step program for Hempy if I find myself in need?

All right. Two days in and I can already see this Hempy stuff is going to be a problem. I started a cut in a hempy cloner, plan to transition one of my soil plants to hempy today, and find myself looking at every container I see in my house or the stores and imagine what a plant would look like in it sitting in my cabinet.

Sure, it's fun and exciting now, but I can already see my fascination with this approach could quickly become unhealthy. Does anyone know of a Twelve Step program for Hempy if I find myself in need?
This post gets me.

I've already purchased 6 slim waste baskets, that I have no intention of using any time soon.

But damnit, they'll fit so we'll together when I do, lol.

This post gets me.

I've already purchased 6 slim waste baskets, that I have no intention of using any time soon.

But damnit, they'll fit so we'll together when I do, lol.
I've often found that striking while the stuff is in front of you is usually best. I can't tell you how many times I've seen something for my grows that would be perfect for a few months down the road when I'm ready for it only to go back and find it no longer there.

So, at the risk of further enabling your behavior, I think you did the right thing.

:headbanger:

You’ve got to be very careful with this as organic stuff can stay too wet in hempy pots and cause root rot.

:passitleft:
Thanks, DrD.

I'll try to be thorough in stripping out the soil, but it's also part of my experiments to see what will work for me.

Back
Top Bottom