Hempy Headquarters

Wassup Tead!

I have noticed your flower bed of snow in NO, not a normal looking color on the ground there! I thought you might own stock in a perlite manufacturer perhaps? But I get it, cleaning perlite is a not fun task, it takes a couple of hours to accomplish in my world. But since I run about 40 gallons of perlite per tent, and I don't want to buy 10 or more cubic feet of perlite every 3 or 4 months, I clean mine post harvest, I'm frugal! I have developed a little process to clean perlite (no chemicals other than a H2O2 rinse when finished) that has reduced the pain in the ass somewhat, but it's still tedious and a little messy, but at a reduced PITA level.

If I'm using the roots then I have to spend quality time teasing out the perlite trying to save as much root as possible. If not using the roots, I use a large heavy duty plastic storage container, with 1/4 inch holes drilled along the bottom edge for drainage, and a hole cut in the lid big enough for my pressure washer nozzle to fit through. I blast the the heck out of the roots/perlite for about 15 minutes, moving around the container changing angles and it all separates. The small lid hole prevents perlite blowing back and covering me and my backyard. Also, no dry perlite dust to deal with, it's bad stuff for your lungs. I do get a 1/4 inch or so of dust fine perlite at the bottom of the container after cleaning, I save it up and use it in my bead blaster for rust and paint removal (full respiratory gear). One of my hobbies is restoring classic cars and I paint them myself. Fine perlite dust leaves steel as smooth as 1000 grit wet/dry ... way off topic Keith.

Most of the resultant root bits do flush out the bottom holes, and the perlite floats up top. Told you it was "Teadious" ! See what I did there, gave your name to yet another process too. Hempy Teadious Tead! 80 gallons of coarse perlite runs around $120, and I recover maybe 90% of the used perlite from my last grow this way. Some little bits of roots can remain in the recovered perlite, but it causes no problems. I'm not poor, I'm just frugal!

Peace
Keith

Beautiful Grow, very nice harvest it looks like. I'd really like to know the source of the rack/clips you are using for the drying. It looks most efficient. If you could share, it would be a bonus. TIA

Yeah those racks are awesome for drying. I got them on Amazon

DUOFIRE Clothes Drying Rack with 36 Clips, Stainless Steel Laundry Drying Rack

61Ns9H1sh4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Wassup Tead!

I have noticed your flower bed of snow in NO, not a normal looking color on the ground there! I thought you might own stock in a perlite manufacturer perhaps? But I get it, cleaning perlite is a not fun task, it takes a couple of hours to accomplish in my world. But since I run about 40 gallons of perlite per tent, and I don't want to buy 10 or more cubic feet of perlite every 3 or 4 months, I clean mine post harvest, I'm frugal! I have developed a little process to clean perlite (no chemicals other than a H2O2 rinse when finished) that has reduced the pain in the ass somewhat, but it's still tedious and a little messy, but at a reduced PITA level.

If I'm using the roots then I have to spend quality time teasing out the perlite trying to save as much root as possible. If not using the roots, I use a large heavy duty plastic storage container, with 1/4 inch holes drilled along the bottom edge for drainage, and a hole cut in the lid big enough for my pressure washer nozzle to fit through. I blast the the heck out of the roots/perlite for about 15 minutes, moving around the container changing angles and it all separates. The small lid hole prevents perlite blowing back and covering me and my backyard. Also, no dry perlite dust to deal with, it's bad stuff for your lungs. I do get a 1/4 inch or so of dust fine perlite at the bottom of the container after cleaning, I save it up and use it in my bead blaster for rust and paint removal (full respiratory gear). One of my hobbies is restoring classic cars and I paint them myself. Fine perlite dust leaves steel as smooth as 1000 grit wet/dry ... way off topic Keith.

Most of the resultant root bits do flush out the bottom holes, and the perlite floats up top. Told you it was "Teadious" ! See what I did there, gave your name to yet another process too. Hempy Teadious Tead! 80 gallons of coarse perlite runs around $120, and I recover maybe 90% of the used perlite from my last grow this way. Some little bits of roots can remain in the recovered perlite, but it causes no problems. I'm not poor, I'm just frugal!

Peace
Keith

Teadeous.... shame on you!
In the end, it really relates to dollars vs effort. Right now, the dollars seem to be winning the argument and I'm just too damn lazy to deal with it all. I've got a couple of big bags of it ready to go to the local community garden, but someone too lazy to recycle their own mess seems to also have problems getting over there.

It's been great in the raised bed. No snails. Much less bug activity overall. I think it keeps the soil underneath moister.

I like that rack too Doob. I'll keep it in mind for after my trip. All my extra funds between now and mid-May are tied up in vacation plans.

Beautiful harvest. :high-five: Lovin' the colors on the OG Kush. I don't know how your tents look so much more spacious than mine. Lol!

I just took my latest hempy plant, the Malawi destined for a cob cure. I'm not washing her.

I hit this branch with the flash so you could see the concentration of trichomes. :slide:

The expected dry weight is over 3.5 ounces, and the plan is to use about two of them to make cobs. I love growing hempy, don't you? :battingeyelashes:

I like that rack too Doob. I'll keep it in mind for after my trip. All my extra funds between now and mid-May are tied up in vacation plans.

Beautiful harvest. :high-five: Lovin' the colors on the OG Kush. I don't know how your tents look so much more spacious than mine. Lol!

Thanks, I was so worried about the cold but it seemed to do nothing bad and sure did bring out the colors. Those racks worked out perfectly, I was so happy to find them. Hopefully they will be as full when I get to show them to you in person. The spacious tents must be a photo illusion cause yours always look bigger to me. I did get a 4’x4’ to add to the collection when I move to the basement, but I haven’t gotten that close to ready yet. :passitleft:

I've had my eye open for a new pot for my hempy grow, hoping to find something that'd hold about a gallon of perlite and be sturdy enough that I wouldn't have to worry about stability. Yesterday I was inspired to stop into the local Dollar General and found these.

Cornered with duck tape and drilled for overflow, and voilá! Instant hempy pot for under $5.

I'm thinkin' I'll be able to get 3-4 in each tent and the tiny closet. The daughter starts growing her own this week, so I'll be making a few more. Three tents and one tiny closet means 12-16 will do the trick.

My hope is to find a way to limit the plant size without a serious drop of yield. I think this may do it. :battingeyelashes:

Oh - I love your eagle eye. I have actually be looking at the same idea at my neighborhood Dollar Tree. How big is your tiny closet? Asking for size reference to my my 2x2.5 Tent. Talking with Brother @FelipeBlu we have been throwing around the idea of smaller footprint HempyPots and using more of them. Instead of LST or Scrog, just let them get some minimal height and then flip to stretch and flower. What do you think of the idea of spray painting the outside black and letting it cure a bit to get rid of the smell?

BTW, Love the Rum on the counter. :p

Oh - I love your eagle eye. I have actually be looking at the same idea at my neighborhood Dollar Tree. How big is your tiny closet? Asking for size reference to my my 2x2.5 Tent. Talking with Brother @FelipeBlu we have been throwing around the idea of smaller footprint HempyPots and using more of them. Instead of LST or Scrog, just let them get some minimal height and then flip to stretch and flower. What do you think of the idea of spray painting the outside black and letting it cure a bit to get rid of the smell?

BTW, Love the Rum on the counter. :p

Oooo...... we're thinking alike. :high-five: The paint though.... I remember Tead mentioning that the paint didn't hold up as well as he'd expected. I've had great luck with the duck tape, and it's reasonably inexpensive. These are significantly sturdier than the dollar ones. I won't be replacing them for years, I'm sure.

My closet is 13" deep and 30" across the front, with some side spaces. My three tents are 27"x27" each.

My experience shows me that I can get more out of 3-4 small plants than I'm getting from one or two big ones. This pitcher will be perfect for the size plant I'm looking for. I'll focus on getting them quickly to flower and move them through faster. I think I'll have more fun and harvest more flowers. Win/win. :battingeyelashes:

The rum is for a tincture extraction. I much prefer being high on cannabis to an alcohol buzz. :battingeyelashes:

My experience shows me that I can get more out of 3-4 small plants than I'm getting from one or two big ones. This pitcher will be perfect for the size plant I'm looking for. I'll focus on getting them quickly to flower and move them through faster. I think I'll have more fun and harvest more flowers. Win/win. :battingeyelashes:

It's gratifying that I'm on a similar thought path as you. With your experience in these things, I'm pretty sure you are on to a great idea with getting the same or more out of 3-4 smaller vs 1-2 larger. The switching sooner to flower and moving through faster is also something @FelipeBlu and I discussed over the last couple of weeks. We have also been talking about not doing very much LST or Screen training. Only perhaps a screen for support up a little higher.

Thanks for confirming your closet and tent size. That gives me a good reference comparison to my tent.

My current grow is closing in on 4months and may still have another 6-8weeks before harvest. As exciting as it has been in my first grow, it can be a lot of waiting and putting a lot into one plant that fortunately told me it was a she this last Tuesday.

I grew two plants in a 2x2 tent without any issues at all. Then I tried for three and was less then impressed. I’m trying for three again, this time in smaller pots, less veg time, and I’ve done a lot more trimming and training. I recently got a par meter and I now think my lighting was the main issue, I’ve made some adjustments and have high hopes.

The rum is for a tincture extraction. I much prefer being high on cannabis to an alcohol buzz. :battingeyelashes:

Sue,

Please do post about your tincture process if you like the final product. Going for Meds or Heads?
I haven't had time to try it myself after gathering the supplies. I've watched several videos of folks making tincture with Everclear and 151, and most seem to rally around "keep everything nearly frozen" at all times.

I dialed back my current flower tent to 6/18 to force the ladies to finish up soon, lots of Blue Dream to harvest next weekend. Gifting my Veg tent contents to a local co-op grower on Tuesday. I'm really going to miss the recreational legal state status, none of the gulf coast states seem to be recreational legal ... yet. Most likely will occur 3 days after my ashes are scattered to the wind! :laugh: No worries, I've worked stealth growing into an art-form if required, decades of practice!

Peace
Keith

Sue,

Please do post about your tincture process if you like the final product. Going for Meds or Heads?
I haven't had time to try it myself after gathering the supplies. I've watched several videos of folks making tincture with Everclear and 151, and most seem to rally around "keep everything nearly frozen" at all times.

I dialed back my current flower tent to 6/18 to force the ladies to finish up soon, lots of Blue Dream to harvest next weekend. Gifting my Veg tent contents to a local co-op grower on Tuesday. I'm really going to miss the recreational legal state status, none of the gulf coast states seem to be recreational legal ... yet. Most likely will occur 3 days after my ashes are scattered to the wind! :laugh: No worries, I've worked stealth growing into an art-form if required, decades of practice!

Peace
Keith

I’m convinced we’re all going to be stealthy and off the official lists for the rest of our lives. It’s not like we’ll suddenly trust the government or be willing to grow within their ridiculous restrictions, eh? :battingeyelashes:

I bought that bottle because the daughter wants to do a tincture for gummies, something we haven’t yet tried. Rec meds, I guess you could call it. Lol! I still need to scale down a recipe, but when I do I’ll send you a PM. I’ve made them in the freezer before, but with vodka, and I don’t like the taste of vodka. This time I thought spiced rum sounded tastier.

In the freezer it’s a simple matter of leaving it sit for about two weeks, shaking at least once a day. At least that’s the way I made mine. Decarb first.

To me it’s just making CCO without the evaporation, and everything works best if it’s freezing cold before you start. I even strain mine in the freezer.

One of these days I’ll track down some dry ice and give that method of making CCO a go.

I am an incessant student, aren’t I? Lol!

Wassup Tead!

Peace
Keith

Keith, how do you sterilize your perlite? I work the perlite out by hand. Tedious doesn't begin to describe the process. Lol!

Very nice Herb. :high-five: Feels good, don't it? :battingeyelashes:

Back
Top Bottom