Hempy Headquarters

Yeah! It took what felt like forever for me to get a hang of the nutrients, ph, and medium I wanted to use. Hempy is soooo easy. I’ve been nagging my friend to try one over DWC, and he finally caved. I think I’ll put together a hempy starter kit for him

Now that's friendship. :battingeyelashes: I use more expensive nutrients, but I pay that price to gain freedom from pH adjusting. If I never have to do that dance again in this lifetime I'm a happy camper.

Now that's friendship. :battingeyelashes: I use more expensive nutrients, but I pay that price to gain freedom from pH adjusting. If I never have to do that dance again in this lifetime I'm a happy camper.

I’m working toward refining my process, then maybe I can invest in better nutes than the flora series.

Still trying to figure out what works best for cloning for me, and trying to establish a mother plant or two. (I have strawberry kush and green crack ear marked for this right now. They’re both seedlings atm)

Plus, I already bought a few gallons of flora series bloom and micro, so I’ll wait til the end of those to try something new.

Keith, how do you sterilize your perlite? I work the perlite out by hand. Tedious doesn't begin to describe the process. Lol!

Good day to you Sue! :hug:

After I pressure wash it, I rinse it with plain water several times, then I soak it in good old H2O2 for a couple of days.
If using standard 3% H2O2 I'll use about six 16oz bottles and about 3 gallons of water, if using 35% H2O2 (be CAREFUL) I'll cut it to about 2% H2O2 with 98% water by volume. It fizzes a little, gets the algae and root bits clean neutralized, and makes the perlite ready for reuse.

I do rinse it very well after the H2O2 soak and stirs, and let it dry for a few days. No worries like bleach or other harsh chemicals that are so difficult to get fully removed from the perlite. A little H2O2 isn't a problem for roots, but I've killed a few plants using other sanitizing agents with residual chemicals still in the perlite. :laugh:

Peace
Keith

Hey everyone, just stopping in to say hi and post a pic. Finally got my garden healthy and nearing a harvest of the plants on the left.
,Herbinator, I'm very impressed with the size of the plant marked S2. What species is S2? What size is the container and is the plant a different strain that what's in S1? Were they started close to the same time?

,Herbinator, I'm very impressed with the size of the plant marked S2. What species is S2? What size is the container and is the plant a different strain that what's in S1? Were they started close to the same time?

Right!? It’s actually just bag seed, so I have no idea on it’s genetics. The buds on it are the size of golf balls, but they don’t smell like weed almost at all. It’s growing in a large Clorox wipes container converted to hempy. They both were started to flower within a couple weeks of each other I’d say.

Here’s some better pics of it and the rest of the current crop...

These shelves work great as a scrog (an idea I found through google image search).

I don’t have a more recent pic of them after I put them under the scrog, but these were right after putting them under. They’ve already adjusted and are all growing nicely, up toward the lights.

These are my strawberry kush and green crack that I plan to use as mother plants...

Right!? It’s actually just bag seed, so I have no idea on it’s genetics. The buds on it are the size of golf balls, but they don’t smell like weed almost at all. It’s growing in a large Clorox wipes container converted to hempy. They both were started to flower within a couple weeks of each other I’d say.
Thanks for sharing the info. I'm really interested in the idea of growing with HempyBuckets to squeeze a few extra plants into the tent at once. Also, since I'm using Regular Photo's I will want to be able to easily discard any males at the earliest without losing an entire grow. I was very lucky with the single plant I have going at the moment. She finally showed herself but more than 3 months into the grow. That's a long time to gamble on a single plant in the tent. I've also done a clone experiment for sexing that was very successful and showed the sex at about a months time. Will use that hopefully in the future.

Thanks for sharing the info. I'm really interested in the idea of growing with HempyBuckets to squeeze a few extra plants into the tent at once. Also, since I'm using Regular Photo's I will want to be able to easily discard any males at the earliest without losing an entire grow. I was very lucky with the single plant I have going at the moment. She finally showed herself but more than 3 months into the grow. That's a long time to gamble on a single plant in the tent. I've also done a clone experiment for sexing that was very successful and showed the sex at about a months time. Will use that hopefully in the future.

Learning to clone sounds like it would be useful for you. I would suggest that route, so you can pretty much guarantee females. I’ve been experimenting with cloning for a few months now, finally getting decent results. Now just cloning and rotating into the flower tent for a relatively steady supply.

Learning to clone sounds like it would be useful for you. I would suggest that route, so you can pretty much guarantee females. I’ve been experimenting with cloning for a few months now, finally getting decent results. Now just cloning and rotating into the flower tent for a relatively steady supply.
I actually put the successful clones that were started in Root Riot's into small cups slightly larger than a Red Solo Cup. Got them at the Dollar Store 3/$1. Only change I would make would perhaps drill the hole at about 1 to 1.25 inch instead of the 3/4" to the bottom of the hole. As it is they basically need to be watered about every 24-36 hrs without me being concerned. If I can figure out what the sex is early enough in the veg cycle(4-6 weeks), it will save materials and time wasted on males earlier. Thanks for the comment.

I actually put the successful clones that were started in Root Riot's into small cups slightly larger than a Red Solo Cup. Got them at the Dollar Store 3/$1. Only change I would make would perhaps drill the hole at about 1 to 1.25 inch instead of the 3/4" to the bottom of the hole. As it is they basically need to be watered about every 24-36 hrs without me being concerned. If I can figure out what the sex is early enough in the veg cycle(4-6 weeks), it will save materials and time wasted on males earlier. Thanks for the comment.

I would leave the hole where it’s at, but next time try adding vermiculite. I water once a day also, but in preparation for the summer coming, I’ve added vermiculite to my hempys in order to help hold a little more water.

I would leave the hole where it’s at, but next time try adding vermiculite. I water once a day also, but in preparation for the summer coming, I’ve added vermiculite to my hempys in order to help hold a little more water.
Actually these little Hempy Cups have a 3/1 Perlite/Vermiculite in them. The water cycle isn't bad but I feel it could use a slight bit more of a reservoir for safety sake. I think the cup actually continues to provide moisture from the Mix, but when the reservoir is empty I wonder if that slows the growth down. They are going into stretch really strong right now also, so there is that.

Actually these little Hempy Cups have a 3/1 Perlite/Vermiculite in them. The water cycle isn't bad but I feel it could use a slight bit more of a reservoir for safety sake. I think the cup actually continues to provide moisture from the Mix, but when the reservoir is empty I wonder if that slows the growth down. They are going into stretch really strong right now also, so there is that.

Ah ok, next step would be to transplant. The hole shouldn’t be too high or it can incubate root rot, from my understanding. Try moving up to a gallon container, or better yet, a 3 gallon. I’ve had great success with 3 gallon and hempy.

Oh - I love your eagle eye. I have actually be looking at the same idea at my neighborhood Dollar Tree. How big is your tiny closet? Asking for size reference to my my 2x2.5 Tent. Talking with Brother @FelipeBlu we have been throwing around the idea of smaller footprint HempyPots and using more of them. Instead of LST or Scrog, just let them get some minimal height and then flip to stretch and flower. What do you think of the idea of spray painting the outside black and letting it cure a bit to get rid of the smell?

BTW, Love the Rum on the counter. :p

Rather than spray paint, I just used leftover indoor housepaint and a brush.

Tiny plants flower well, but don't yield enough for my taste. It's all a ballancing act.

Dildo sized... :rofl: Like you say Rad, it’s a balancing act. I keep looking for the perfect size for the pot.

Today I covered and drilled another pitcher. I’m really liking the way these are looking. I’ve two cuttings waiting on roots that’ll be the residents of these two pots.

Just a little update with regards to my Hempy Cup Clones. They are currently working the stretch and very thirsty. Over all, I'm very please with my first attempt at cloning and the results have been way beyond any of my expectations.
As mentioned in my thread on the subject, I'm considering potting a couple of them up a size to see how it affects yield. Leaving the tallest #1 in it's current cup, #2 into a 32oz Stadium Cup and maybe follow DrDoob's lead with a 1gal painters bucket for the smallest #3 clone. After all this is an experiment, so whatever yield I get will be a bonus.

Hempy Transitions

I’ve found the pots I needed to get the grow down to a consistent product. After lots of experimenting with shapes and sizes I’ve determined that in my garden things grow best in about a gallon of perlite. I have some trash cans I use that are about that size growing stunning specimens that yield every bit as much as the larger pots, but do so with a smaller footprint.

Unfortunately, the local store never reordered them and I only have two. I can order online, but then we have to factor in shipping. Hmmmm...... A $4 trash can becomes .....too much for comfort.

So I went looking for something close to them, and found exactly what I’d hoped for in the shape and stability of a Rubbermaid pitcher.

They’re almost identical in height to the favored pots. They come with sturdy handles. I can only imagine how this will make moving them around easier to do.

Very close in diameter.

I'll be losing 3/4" in diameter, so I've decided the larger pots go to the chemovars that are more demanding and tend to grow lankier.

So these are my choices. We plan to run up to 12 flowering plants at any given time, and at the moment I have two trash can pots and four pitchers.

I have no use for all the pots I've experimented with. There are a couple in flowering, but this is most of the pots I'll no longer have to store. :yahoo:

But look at all I'll no longer have to store because I finally decided to go all hempy. :slide:

The bin in the kitchen and those five nice 5-gal pots Stage just sent me. Thank you @Stage. I'll see they find a good home.

I'll no longer need all the fabric pots, in various sizes, now taking up significant space under my workbench.

The two bins in the bedroom.

I may keep that small green bin with the coco. I've a yearning to play with it. :battingeyelashes: But the 14-gal bin of soil below it will move on.

As will these two bins taking up space beside my table.

I'm gonna feel like I can breathe again with all that space. Lol! I'm pleased with my decision to go all hempy. Hempy makes my heart sing. It's high time - pun intended - I accepted the choice I've already made. I've been playing in soil half-heartedly for too long. This....this is fun.

And life is meant to be fun. :slide:

I was just about to ask about Pot and Size when I got home from driving today and here I find this find subject already somewhat answered. Part of my question was about performance based on height or width of the pots or a combo. @FelipeBlu discussed a few weeks back what type of pots would be cheap to acquire and large enough to work and yet still fit several in a 2x2.5 tent. A couple of times we specifically chatted about the 1 gal Tea Pitchers we grew up with. Recently you posted pictures of your purchase from the Dollar type store and we chatted about that again as a very potential idea. One of the comment's can't remember who, said the handles would make it easier to move around.

I feel I'm understanding the need for a wide bucket is not exactly required, but more so the tall size to the Roots to expand and drop down to the reservoir. The roots don't need to spread out and much as gain length to support the height of the plant? That might also support the primary stalk getting thicker and bulky?

I know FelipiBlu is experimenting with a 2.5 gallon Lowes paint bucket for tomatoes in the moment with a 3/1 Perlite and Vermiculite I believe. But this pitcher idea has appealed to me from the very beginning when he enlightened me to Hempy Bucket growing. I think our idea was to not do so much LST and veg for a shorter time of about 1 month and then let the stretch and flower happen after that. Especially with Auto's as he likes to do that could work very well. I'm currently more of a photo type in the moment, because that's the type of seeds I have currently.

Thanks for giving me a bit of a sign as this was really on my mind to ask about this evening. Comment and thoughts all around please. B-)

I cover the handle attachments on the inside with small squares of duck tape to block the light. If you use duck tape the verticle application is much superior for ease of application and aesthetics.

I’m loving these the more I think of it. My best hempy plants were grown in this size, and I think it has as much to do with height as anything.

They’re just the right size. Wick above 8” and it’s not as efficient. I’ve tried wider pots and didn’t get better results, although they took up more room and sprawled more.

This size pot just grows better plants in my garden for whatever reason. I like having standard sized pots too. I’ll be flowering enough at once that standardization makes my life easier all the way around.

It makes mixing nutrients easier too. Everyone gets the same amount of water every time. :slide:

They’re just the right size. Wick above 8” and it’s not as efficient. I’ve tried wider pots and didn’t get better results, although they took up more room and sprawled more. :slide:

Please explain the wick above 8", as I'm being a little dense in the moment. Is that the distance above the bottom of the hole to the top of your Perlite Mix? Also at what distance are you putting your drain hole in to the bottom of the hole. 2 Inches or a little less?

Back
Top Bottom