Hey guys! Need help!

Quick question. In the 2.5x3.5 foot closet, is the mars old hydro 300 enough? Too much? Is the flower/veg switch at all important for anything other than power efficiency?

Is that the Mars 300 that is really 130W, or is it a true 300W from the wall? The little Mars 300 won't cover it. I'd say it might work for a single plant, but it really only covers about 1.5 feet.
The bloom switch usually adds some red spectrum. I'd run all LEDs for both veg and bloom as long as you can control the heat.

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah - one plant for that lamp, IMO.

Yeah - one plant for that lamp, IMO.

Really? Wow! I'm actually surprised. I've been under the impression that LEDs are more efficient than HIDs delivering a higher lumen number per watt. I use a 400W HID for bloom and have been wanting to replace it with exactly that light. I usually have 2 or 3 in different stages of flower and can fit everything under it just fine.
Hmmmm... now you got me wondering.... Perhaps I'll consider it for the veg room instead.

Check this video out. This chick sounds pretty stoked. You can watch a few of her vids from the day she got the light to the harvest. It's a lot more than 1 plant but she has some other cfls set up looks like

I have that exact Mars LED. You could grow more under it, but the plants won't get much light, IMO. I also use a 600W HPS and there is no comparison. MarsHydro publishes the coverage as 1.5 ft. x 1.5 ft. for bloom. I find this optimistic. But even if it is correct, how many plants can you fit in 1.5 feet? If they are small enough, you could get more than one, but they would have to be bonzai.

The problem isn't so much the amount of light, but the footprint of that light. LEDs are highly focused and directional. By the time the footprint spreads out enough to cover a larger area, the lamp has to be too far away to provide the amount of light we want. You might get away with two of those panels in your 2.5' x 3.5' closet, but I'd go with three.

I also find the heat not much of an advantage. With a cool tube HPS fixture you can pull heat out of the cabinet very effectively. Most LEDs don't offer that ability. All the heat ends up in the cabinet and then has to be exhausted.

Love my cooltube. It's cool to the touch all over. Provides me a nice heat source in the winter.
Thanks for the real world words!
I've been watching the tri color strip LEDs. I'm thinking of getting an extra glass tube and putting a bunch of them on the inside the tube. They have heat issues, but in a cool tube mounted directly to the glass... could be an interesting thing.

You're way stressing a grow journal. Just smoke a bowl, start a new journal, and don't worry so much about the things you don't know, put in what you do know. If followers have questions, we'll ask... we're not so shy and sometimes quite boisterous. Just a happy place to give you a more personal helping hand. Jump right in baby.... don't be one bit afraid!
Hope you help me in couple weeks. You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for helping us just starting. This forum is the best on internet. My opinion from studying last 6 months. Im here to stay. Thanks to all you good folks

Sent from my SCH-R530X using 420

Back
Top Bottom