Homer's Legal 4-Plant Max Perpetual Minimalist Garden In Ontario

PWM is dependent on the driver used. Some, like the Meanwell drivers can use it, others can't.

It's not an ethernet connection, despite using ethernet cables and connectors. They use these as they are commonly available, and low cost items. They have re-purposed them to carry the signals required for their control systems. At least one pair of connectors is for the 0-10VDC dimming signal. You need to contact Next to find out which ones, and the polarity required.

That 0-10V controller you show has a very poor connection diagram. The controller needs a power source, and I only see half of the connections required for one. Perhaps a current tap is used.

I strongly suggest contacting Next. I suspect they'd be only too happy to guide you. They have grow controllers, but they have far more functionality than what you need to control the light.

Thanks for the help Old Salt and yes I know I need to talk to Next to find out the wiring but I can't really do much now since I am going for surgery next week so I am just researching out of curiosity.

Yes, I understand they are using ethernet connectors but it is not an ethernet connection. According to the spec sheet for the driver says, " Constant current/ 0-10V dimming/ clock dimming(CLK)/ PWM dimming", so I assume I can use it with a PWM or 1-10v?

From the specs, it also says the output is from 53.5 to 24V and 600 to 8000mA so it seems if a 0-10v dimming is used it dims by limiting the amperage much more than the voltage so is that why there isn't a lot of color shift?

Thanks for the help Old Salt and yes I know I need to talk to Next to find out the wiring but I can't really do much now since I am going for surgery next week so I am just researching out of curiosity.

Yes, I understand they are using ethernet connectors but it is not an ethernet connection. According to the spec sheet for the driver says, " Constant current/ 0-10V dimming/ clock dimming(CLK)/ PWM dimming", so I assume I can use it with a PWM or 1-10v?

From the specs, it also says the output is from 53.5 to 24V and 600 to 8000mA so it seems if a 0-10v dimming is used it dims by limiting the amperage much more than the voltage so is that why there isn't a lot of color shift?

The color of the LEDs is due to the elements used to manufacture them. It is not dependent upon the voltage/current used to drive them. The same color of light is produced regardless of the voltage/current. Increasing or decreasing the voltage/current will only increase or decrease the intensity of the light produced.

I wouldn't mess with it yet. Moon has a controller sold as an accessory (MSSL200) to control these drivers. I don't know if it's a digital control signal sent to the driver, or if the driver can accept an analogue control signal. Playing around could destroy the drivers.

Yes, for sure I would not mess with it till I am certain of the wiring, I am just a dumb millwright but I not an ironworker, lol...

I believe these use an analog controller but I will not hook up anything till I am certain. Thanks for the info about the MSSL200. I think you can use any 1-10v but I will look into that. This driver is actually programmable so maybe that is why they sell a matched controller?

The color of the LEDs is due to the elements used to manufacture them. It is not dependent upon the voltage/current used to drive them. The same color of light is produced regardless of the voltage/current. Increasing or decreasing the voltage/current will only increase or decrease the intensity of the light produced.

Ok, that is good to know. I read online that the reason PWM's are used with LED's is because reducing the voltage changes the K value but I take your word for it. Maybe that was with non-dimmable LED's or it was just plain wrong. Explains how they get away with using a 1-10v controller.

Now I know I have dimmable drivers and dimmable LED's so if I do need to dim I know it can be done!! Which is great news. :thumb:

I may be completely wrong but I think I have the wiring figured out for a dimmer with this driver. Being a dimmable driver the output power is determined by how much voltage is supplied to the dimming input line. One volt supplied will give 10% power and five volts 50% etc.

Some dimmers get the power to input the 1 to 10 volts by using the main input voltage but I think this one supplies the 10V with a separate line called the passive dimmer power supply from a lead from the driver so all one has to do to dim it is to put a potentiometer between the passive dimmer power supply line and the dimming input line?

Here is a little diagram that was on the driver website.

Capture4.JPG

Unlike the diagram, I posted earlier where the power for the dimmer comes from the main power input line because it only has 2 leads since there is no passive dimmer power supply line.
Annotation 2019-08-10 074110.png

As I said I think I have it figured out but I will call the company on Monday to be sure.

Ok, that makes sense. The driver has an output supplying the voltage for the 0-10V dimming module.

Yes, I hope I am right because it would be pretty simple to hook up. These 0-10V dimmers are kinda pricy so I may look into just getting a potentiometer if that is the case.

Here is my Dinamed on the left after 3 weeks and 6 days into flower and my Critical from Royal Queen on the right at six weeks and six days. The Dinamed seems pretty happy and flowering nicely. It seems happy with 5mg/gal but was burning at 6.2. I went way overboard with the nutes on the Critical but it seems to have recovered. I peaked at 7.8g/gal with it and let to go too long before I cut back to 6.2. I am being more conservative and vigilant with my nutes but still trying to find that sweet spot right before tip burn.

fgf.jpg

My Critical; not the best but doing ok; not very stinky or sticky.

ftg.jpg

My Dinamed has turned out to be doing surprisingly well after the dwarf it was in veg.

gtjb.jpg

My OG Kush is doing great. Nice and healthy at four weeks and three days. She is up to 4g/gal.

12.jpg

12w.jpg

And my baby, I have high hopes for, my Sensi NL at 6 days looking a little bewildered but heathy. I recently tried smoking some WW one night and NL the next night and I really do prefer Indicas so I am happy I got my NL from Sensi.

11.jpg

I haven't mentioned it in a while because it has been so steady but I give a lot of credit to my plants' health to the environment I am able to keep in my basement. With my air running and the dehumidifier some I am able to keep it between 77 and 78F and 45 to under 50% humidity. Plants of all ages seem to be happy with that.

i9.jpg

You're Dinamed is a beast!

Thanks, Penny. All of my Dinafem strains have had good structure; the White Widow, Dinafem and my OG Kush is off to a good start. But yea that Dinamed was a real dark horse the way it was such a dud in veg but took off in flower. I think it is looking promising.

Thanks, Penny, it is pretty sweet. I could not have asked for a better prize. I love the fact it will just about cover my whole growing area so the whole thing gets nice even light!!
Damn!!!! I gotta work harder on my journal.:( Nice winnings Homer. congrats.:thumb:

Tada!!!
1.jpg

3.jpg

Plugging this monster in I was quite impressed with the intensity of light it throws off!! My old light is a
VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 600W LED which draws 260W but this behemoth only draws 600W but seems to give off waaaaayyyyyy more than twice as much light. Very impressed so far.

Because it is so bright and I am only budding 2 plants at once I am thinking of hooking up a Pulse width modulation (PWM) controller as a dimmer because it is good for 5'x5' in flower but my area will only be about 3'x3', that way I should get a nice even light over my whole area. According to the company, who were efficient and helpful, they are dimmable LED's.

CongratZ Homer! What a light

Everything looks great Homer but the sprout looks a little light burned? :goodluck: with the hospital visit!

Thanks, Shed!! She is looking a little confused as I said but it isn't light burn instead the membrane from her seed shell stayed attached to her for quite a while so her cotyledons didn't open properly but she seems to have recovered ok and I think she will be fine.

Thanks again, Shed, very kind of you; I go in tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to it but looking forward to getting it over and getting my life back.

CongratZ Homer! What a light

Thanks Dutch!! I feel lucky and grateful!! Looking forward to getting her hooked up!

Looks like I've got some reading to do, I followed along with your previous grow and haven't been around since the early Spring. Things are looking great!

Thanks, JCTJ. I hope you enjoy the read. Things are going a lot smoother than in my first journal, lol.. :thumb:

Thanks, JCTJ. I hope you enjoy the read. Things are going a lot smoother than in my first journal, lol.. :thumb:

I'm all caught up now! Definitely liking the simplicity and success of mega crop for your grow. Might have me trying something new next round.

Back
Top Bottom