How cold to get the color purple?

Savvage61

After you been growing here at 420 for 6 mo or so (in my case) I learned that in order to get all dem purrty colors requires growing in cooler temps My next grow I am growing some blackberry moonrocks dark purple buds the grow after that I have fruity pebbles, Hard rock candy. and blue dream all 3 known for their colorful buds I currennt get my temps runnin 69 lights out to 80 Lights on which isnt bad BUT it isnt color changing I cant afford a portable AC my wife says $300 bucks can be used on junk like bills and other responsible crap (yes she controls the cash thank God) But I intent to run my meanwells outside the tent with hopes od dropping another 5 degrees I also have 8 1 gal jugs of Ice I am willing to put them in the tent 4 at a time during lights on and switch them out everyday (in a 4x4 tent) will it work? time will tell. But how cold does it need to be to get the colors I want. I am learning it is fun to and smoke your own weed But I am enjoying the grow just as much as the smoke part

How long they been in Flower? The do the fall colors on their own towards the end of their life, they will do it at any temp if they are prone to it and you got a pheno that is. Cooler temps just helps them or they throw them out a little harder it seems, but not a requirement to get colors.

It's all dependent on the phenotype of the seed. You can get most strains to give you a little purple if the temps are low during flowering, other strains it's not so dependent, and will happen in most any temp. I've had plants grown side by side,same strain and seed supplier, one was so purple it was almost black, the other was light green.

How long they been in Flower? The do the fall colors on their own towards the end of their life, they will do it at any temp if they are prone to it and you got a pheno that is. Cooler temps just helps them or they throw them out a little harder it seems, but not a requirement to get colors.
I am in the planning stage .I am thinking the temps would drop when I flip. I just want to make sure I am ready when I start the grow the 2 girls I have now are herbies Godzilla cookies AUTOS which are also to have purple buds they also have some that are lime green next to purple ones(In pics i have seen) I been using Purpinator from the start and my tops have 1/3 purple hairs and they run 70-80 degrees F and for my world wide farming friends thats fahrenheit (the correct type of temp measurement ( JK I love ya'll from the Great white north to land down under and beyond we are all bonded together by a string A HEMP STRING

It's all dependent on the phenotype of the seed. You can get most strains to give you a little purple if the temps are low during flowering, other strains it's not so dependent, and will happen in most any temp. I've had plants grown side by side,same strain and seed supplier, one was so purple it was almost black, the other was light green.
Yup. Purple is a recessive trait which can be expressed with any stressing. Don't know how cold temps became the ONE.

Outdoors i can see colors seeping in around the 60degree mark...if the night temps dipped into that chilly feeling you're gonna see colors. They're called anthocyanins and plants express in various amounts of saturation irregardless of temps.one strain may blow up in 55f and the one next to it still a drab green.
I dont recommend ice water in the soil, but i would definitely consider ice packs around a potted plant to lower rootzone temps without the drench....see if that tips off colors without having to cool entire growspace. If not you will have to brute force A/C the space to chilly status.
And it doesnt have to be sustained, if you dip temps 2 or 3 nights in a row that will trigger color and then go back to normal grow temps...the colors hang on for a while, but fade back to green. That's a whole another story on anthocyanin and chlorophyll...blah blah dont worry. Cold temps, few nights in a row.

I have had the buds start to turn purple outside and the night time temps would drop into the low 50s to upper 40s. Growing in the house I noticed the purple color starting and the inside of the tent never got below 63 to 65. But, they looked 'cool' no matter which way.

Don't let your wife find out about the jugs of ice. Using 16 of them would cover most of the floor in the tent and lower the air temp for the first foot or two up a degree, maybe 2. When she starts to calculate how much it costs to run the freezer every day to freeze and re-freeze the water she might cut off your .... entire grow.

My thought is that whatever temp you drop the air to the plant and the roots drop to the same temp or very close. Cool temps could slow down the growth which could mean smaller buds or fewer trichomes. Trading that for the purple does not sound worthwhile.

Using the Purpinator sounds like the best option and it does help with overall feeding on top of purple colors.

Mmm ?

Some genetics or strains from various seeds breeders will express the purple colouring in late flowering more so than others whether that be indoors or out doors & totally a breeding linage question.

Whilst I only grow indoors, I had one seed breeder (Humboldt) Headband 707 & Bubbas Gift both shared purple colouring in final harvest with night time temps no lower than 19c or 66f with the odd other.

I did come across another lady member of this site which I can not remember there name at the moment or any recent activity who used an AC unit to bring temps down during lights off who managed some pretty impressive results !

not much but i have some color.temps 69 nite 70-73 during the day

purp.jpg

when the root zone temp reaches under 12c - 10c for more than 24hrs at a stretch, the plant will exhibit fall colours with little or no coaxing.

it's the dropping root zone temps that trigger it. not air temp.

when the root zone temp reaches under 12c - 10c for more than 24hrs at a stretch, the plant will exhibit fall colours with little or no coaxing.

it's the dropping root zone temps that trigger it. not air temp.
Ah thnx...i only can go by what ive witnessed. I knew cold was key but rootzone or air i did not know.

Ah thnx...i only can go by what ive witnessed. I knew cold was key but rootzone or air i did not know.

if you heat the media (root zone) to proper temp and have enough light you can grow at 40 below.

I have had the buds start to turn purple outside and the night time temps would drop into the low 50s to upper 40s. Growing in the house I noticed the purple color starting and the inside of the tent never got below 63 to 65. But, they looked 'cool' no matter which way.

Don't let your wife find out about the jugs of ice. Using 16 of them would cover most of the floor in the tent and lower the air temp for the first foot or two up a degree, maybe 2. When she starts to calculate how much it costs to run the freezer every day to freeze and re-freeze the water she might cut off your .... entire grow.

My thought is that whatever temp you drop the air to the plant and the roots drop to the same temp or very close. Cool temps could slow down the growth which could mean smaller buds or fewer trichomes. Trading that for the purple does not sound worthwhile.

Using the Purpinator sounds like the best option and it does help with overall feeding on top of purple colors.
...ive decided im gonna try once or twice to make my own Purpinator...i have 3 plants in late flower now and no cold in near future to skew results...now's the time to try it.
Reading Purpinator info im gonna try a soil drench last 2-3weeks in one of them and see if i can get some color to pop. Ill try a low ph epsom salt dosing first. I think a potassium mix would be more effective but i dont have any on hand.
Edit...geek stuff
Most minerals are made up of a cation (a positively charged ion) or several cations and an anion (a negatively charged ion (e.g., S2–)) or an anion complex (e.g., SO42–). For example, in the mineral hematite (Fe2O3), the cation is Fe3+ (iron) and the anion is O2– (oxygen).

I think i want insanely high ion stuff idk

Reading Purpinator info im gonna try a soil drench last 2-3weeks in one of them and see if i can get some color to pop.
Maybe add your own Purpinator to another one of the plants several weeks earlier. The question being, how long does it take for the stuff to start working. Sometimes it seems to take a couple of weeks before the first signs show up that something is changing in the plant.

Maybe add your own Purpinator to another one of the plants several weeks earlier. The question being, how long does it take for the stuff to start working. Sometimes it seems to take a couple of weeks before the first signs show up that something is changing in the plant.
PH and cellular activity is stupid fast...like can't be measured fast...the time constraint is from the time consuming task of getting the stuff one molecule at a time from soil, to plant stem, up and into leaf.
Purpinator provides the correct amount of magnesium for chlorophyll development. As magnesium is the central atom of the chlorophyll molecule, the proportion of magnesium available to plants is dependent on the supply of magnesium. In the plant leaves the plant’s mature epidermal cells contain about 15% chloroplasts, cytoplasm/cell wall 5%, and the vacuole 85%. By regulating the epidermal cell’s vacuoles pH and magnesium content, anthocyanin production can be increased providing more color to the plant’s phenotype.

i copied Plant Therapy spray formula on RIU...i want this as a second trophy :p

Et.al. putting a call out...personal request. Can someone that owns a bottle of Purpinator please measure the PH of the bottle contents, unmixed please?

Back
Top Bottom