Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

What would Sunday be without a

PROJECT 28 REPORT!

The hardest part by far of a weed grow is the first 30 days...and here we are. Day 31 is always special. I judge everything I've done and set all future expectations firmly on this day because now we know what we will be working with. The hardest part, starting and establishing a nice group of healthy plants, is DONE.

Now for the fun part...growing buds with those plants!

Since this is the first grow I have ever done that contains only one variety of cannabis, I expect variables to be minimal this run. The usual differences in growth rate, height, and especially maturation aspects between different varieties is almost unworkable on some grows but this one I feel like everyone should do exactly the same thing the whole way. Or will they?

I guess this grow will once and for all show the variety of phenotypes in my Blue Hyena F1 variety. Even though I've grown this five times now, it's hard to tell from grow to grow if a plant is different since all so far have been pretty similar. But now, with 9 total plants, it is highly likely that all major variations will be represented and I will be studying it all very carefully to note any differences in specimens. My hope is there really aren't many, or even any, phenos...just one predictable, strong, pretty girl.

If the garden contains all very similar plants I will feel confident it's a good candidate for the growing market. My intention is to do my absolute best to develop a prime quality seed here, not simply to attempt to cash in on the seed market with something that isn't top shelf. A lot depends on this grow besides producing the actual seeds for the line. If there is anything in this group that I don't like I won't put it out there because again, I don't want to waste any grower's hard-earned time. Or money. I want to capture the essence of this big, high-producing sativa and share her with the world. She has to be an absolute 10 in my estimation before I will let her fly...and anything less will nix the effort.

We will all see together if what we have is worthy.

So now it was time to top the main 6 girls, then scrog.

I use a frame around my grow that has tiny nails on the top side, easy to scrog with heavy cotton twine (best choice, doesn't hurt the plants like other types of line or wire do) and it also gives me flexibility on the scrog design which this time around I need.

I string a section, then tighten, then tie. I want to leave the middle open for the development of a smaller seed/pollen mother which I can remove to blossom in another tent, then collect the pollen there. If I scrog the whole thing I can't remove the one plant so I got stoned and a little creative...

I think it will work. Within days I will have to begin working with branches...how fast they grow!

That done, we go forward with phase two. Healthy, happy, all is well. I'm always a little suspicious when things are going too perfectly so we'll keep an eye on things...

Now for breakfast. Hmmmm...Kandy Kush, or Tahoe OG?

Looks like a day on the couch...!

Peace, Hyena

Healthy happy baby girls... :thumb:I like your DIY... What are you doing next month;) would love some guidance (I am a woman, so read build it all lol) on how you did that :)
Just joking, but I will ask more details when I am up and running.

Hiya HM,

Another interesting subplot to your grow with seed production. Looks like fun. Ladies are off to a great start. Have you a male going also?

Healthy happy baby girls... :thumb:I like your DIY... What are you doing next month;) would love some guidance (I am a woman, so read build it all lol) on how you did that :)
Just joking, but I will ask more details when I am up and running.

I would always help you any way I can Birdie.

Hope things are all working out the way you want. Patience and persistence.

Glad you are here!

Peace, Hyena

Hiya HM,

Another interesting subplot to your grow with seed production. Looks like fun. Ladies are off to a great start. Have you a male going also?

No male, going to reverse one of the small ones and harvest pollen in a separate tent. Sounds so simple...but so did marriage.

We shall see together.

Peace, Hyena

Looking good here Hyena. I’ve been on hiatus for a couple months moving my home. It was quite a journey for this old man.

With my pillowcase in mind I so loved your reflection on Halloweens many years ago.

Great to hear from you Jim. Appreciate that. Special times being a kid. Seemed like it was forever but it really went by in a flash, eh?

Keep me posted on your next project and stay tuned!

Peace, Hyena

Girls are looking great, good luck on this grow.

Thanks Zincite, so far so good...

The hard part is over but that doesn't mean I won't screw it up.

We will see.

Peace, Hyena

I would always help you any way I can Birdie.

Hope things are all working out the way you want. Patience and persistence.

Glad you are here!

Peace, Hyena
:hug: getting there HM.
Soon free :hug:

Ahhhhh Monday...depressing...unless there's a

PROJECT 28 REPORT!

Since I am trying to stagger the ages of my plants a good portion of success is simply luck, and it now looks like luck has favored my grow. Yay luck! Looks the same as skill! :yahoo:

I have exactly what I wanted: six primary plants all on the same schedule, all apparently homogeneous, plus three more plants about 10 days behind the others.

This week will be the first week of scrogging the six main plants as they all strain upwards and outwards. The pots on the left are 4-5 inches higher than the right side, since I designed this as a gravity-based fluid return system. That means I have to scrog the left side first.

But before that, the first small defoliation. Only 4-5 fan leaves on my double plant total...I have tried it both ways as some may recall, and I think aggressive defoliation for its own sake makes plants too tall and increases the space between nodes on branches for no reason. Just my take from two experiments but I'm sure some probably swear by brutal defol since I've seen the shocking pictures and those plants turned out great too, I just think fan leaves are food producers and so in general, I like to poke branches through them and sometimes supercrop them (yes, that works well as I showed last grow) but as much as they don't obstruct too much I leave them. Pun intended. :rolleyes:

Before defol:

And after:

Only five fan leaves removed total. Point is, you can do a lot of re-arranging and minimal removing of food-producing big fan leaves, and still achieve the goal of maximizing new branch exposure. I want my girls to eat.

These girls on the right side are not far from the same treatment...

It's kind of nice to only have to work with one part of the entire scrog initially setting the paths for the branches. It has allowed me to take a little more time routing things before plants begin fighting everywhere for space.

Here's the amazing (possibly best?) specimen of them all, in the center ring:

That is one popping, healthy Blue Hyena. I suspect her perfection is the result not of some difference from the others but her center-rear spot which has the highest lumens per square foot on the grid. Yes, I have measured. My lights can be moved a bit but the geometry in general means some natural variance in total lumens if divided into zones and center rear is brightest by about 15% compared to the ends (not counting light supplementation, which I add at some point on the left side). So I think the center girl is simply getting the most to eat.

Now, remember little wrong way sprout with the burned-off growing tip? Here she was:

And now:

Incredible to think this little survivor might be my choice for pollen mother! I want to see how it does the whole way of course but who knows? The magic power of life. Which, as Jeff Goldblum said in Jurassic Park, "always finds a way".

He's not a great actor in my view but he was great in that part. The first movie. The other three or four sequels have simply been uninspired rehashings of the exact same story, with more and more politically-correct themes and overt liberal crap from racial stuff to global warming just for the sake of sticking it in there. I suppose they know their audience. I appreciated the apolitical original, which was well-cast top to bottom and a great script. But at 58 I don't live for movies and especially the artistically desolate trend of endless remakes. Come on, Hollywood...have an original idea again before I die.

Was that too much get off my lawn? :laugh: Sorry, I'm stoned.

That was my breakfast so forgive my ramblings. What was I saying?

Talk witcha soon.

Peace, Hyena

HAPPY ELECTION DAY!

One of the aspects of human life I find endlessly amusing is the tendency of human beings, no matter how educated or enlightened, to look at things from a tribal perspective. From politics to religion to race to sex to whether dabs or flower are better, we are all inexorably tied to our past, almost all of which was spent living in tribes of one sort or another, and fighting endlessly with every other tribe about every possible thing. That is who we are.

So, elections are a blast. Forget that more than half of voters are embarrassingly, pathetically, tragically uninformed about most of the issues that face our country. Forget that there IS good and evil, and that sadly a lot of nice, well-meaning people can't even begin to tell the difference. Forget how hard it is to swallow that the least-informed dope out there has a vote that counts as much as my uber-informed, well-reasoned one. Elections are still so much fun.

Who even talks about the actual issues? And what happened to common sense?

Just a few observtions from the tree...

-I find it ironic that the people protesting the police are also the first ones to call them when they are in need.
-If it makes sense to have a fence around your yard, why wouldn't you do the same with your country?
-How long until everybody understands everything that is "free" from the government for one person, was taken by force from someone else?
-Russian collusion? Seriously, if any collusion has taken place I hope it's this...

Nah...we COULD be all logical about stuff, but it's much more fun to misrepresent everything and just call your opponent filthy names. A lot of peoples will still vote for ya. Sadly.

No matter your tribe, enjoy today and please vote. Unless you're stupid. Thanks.

Peace, Hyena.

Hiya HM,

Well said. I hate discussing politics for the reason that many people aren't educated about issues, and talk like common sense is far from them. I get passionate about the level of apathy in our nation, and it's changing everything about our country in a bad way. You made very nice points, especially about the moron's vote counts the same as everyone else. I guess that's the nature of the beast. Bottom line: Go Vote!

Hiya HM,

Well said. I hate discussing politics for the reason that many people aren't educated about issues, and talk like common sense is far from them. I get passionate about the level of apathy in our nation, and it's changing everything about our country in a bad way. You made very nice points, especially about the moron's vote counts the same as everyone else. I guess that's the nature of the beast. Bottom line: Go Vote!

But the ultimate irony in life is, to stupid people...smart people are the stupid ones.

All about your point of view I guess...

Someone once told me pot makes you stupid. I put down my joint and took a break from doing a trigonometry problem long enough to call him a fuckhead.

Peace, Hyena

But the ultimate irony in life is, to stupid people...smart people are the stupid ones.

All about your point of view I guess...

Someone once told me pot makes you stupid. I put down my joint and took a break from doing a trigonometry problem long enough to call him a fuckhead.

Peace, Hyena
:laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::nomo::rofl:I would have given a million bux to be there

Hey hey all...

PROJECT 28 REPORT!

This will be an abbreviated report based on the fact that we are going out of town for three days. The girls will be on their own for the first time this weekend. No wild parties please.

Everybody looking good. Thought I would start my tucking. Tucking you ask?

Early on, I'm a big fan of big fans...leaves, that is. I like to leave them on if possible since they make food and food is good.

Here's one plant before...

And after...

I didn't remove any leaves...just tucked and supercropped the main fans so the branches get more light but the fans still produce extra food for the plant. I think some momentum is lost when you rip a bunch of big fans off the plant too early. No science, just common sense. Which is not so common actually...

Look at that middle back girl...she's amazing already.

Even if I wanted to, I can't avoid pinching off a few of the amazingly large fan leaves. Already bigger than my hand for God's sake!

Kwaazy fun. I'm starting to get back in the swing of this after almost four months dark.

Now a quick three days in Northern Michigan, my new favorite state since they just voted to fully legalize our favorite weed. We will go there and smoke a celebratory fatty. I mean I will...the wife doesn't smoke. Yes, the sad truth is, she only tolerates that I do...for 28 years and counting. Some chicks dig weed and that's fun, but in the long run I have found those women only love me for my big fat...bag of weed. Then in the morning, they're gone...

Along with most of my weed. I'm pretty lucky my wife doesn't smoke come to think of it. Got these piles of nugs all to myself. Time to roll one and roll North!

Have a great weekend!

Peace, Hyena

Back
Top Bottom