Hypo Hippy Take Two: Hydro and Soil Combo Grow

Hiya, sorry to hear about the res after such beautiful pics of the other buds. It sounds like you've done just the right thing as far as grabbing clones. A few weeks delay is not the end of the world.

Do you think you have the probs solved with the res? I'll throw a few hints that I find kept my res from getting bad. Recently I moved rooms, neglected my res for a few days and she got a little soup. So things I did to fix it:

#1 - Keep temps below 75. Period. If this means dropping in frozen 2 litres that's ok. If you use bottles - fill them 2/3 full with water then squeeze them till the water reaches the top then close them. This will leave room when they freeze and thaw to expand. Better to use those blue ice pack things if you have them. Basically if your room temps are in the right range, it shouldn't take much to compensate in the res.

#2 - No Sweet, Molases, Gravity, or other sugar based bud enhancers. If you are using these - res temps below 75 are mandatory. You will see soup within hours otherwise.

#3 - H2o2 - Don't be afraid. Within reason and common sense - you can use lots of Hydrogen Peroxide. It'll kill the soup and leave a black shit behind. That's fine - its the dead organisms. You can see it working in your res, just like on you - it will bubble where it finds bacteria. It kills them by providing an aerobic (lots of oxygen) environment - which is actually better for your plants. The only disadvantage is it will kill friendly micro-zoos as well so its better as a treatment rather than a prevention.

#4 - Hygrozyme - this stuff is great for your roots and helping the res. And it does not kill friendly bacteria and you can use it with organic nutes.

#5 - Hydroguard - this stuff prevents the slime and algae in the res. Again, safe with organics as far as I know (I use it) and it does the trick I think. I don't use much at all cause I control the other factors as well, but a little in there definitely reduces the slime factor when you reach in and pull out a pump hose or whatever.

Wow - that was more than I intended. Sorry just medicated. :smokin:

All in all - great grow(s) in progress - keep it up.
:thumb::yummy::Rasta:

+Reps for keeping a cool head and getting clones.

Hi papa

Thanks for all the info,for sure i need a lot more of your great advice.Item #2 may have been the culprit.I had used root 66 and sugar daddy (tecnaflora) 350ppm,tap water(70ppm),res temp68 constant.I will try again (this fall).Also #4 & #5 sounds like a necessity.Thank you very much for your input,keep it coming please.:peacetwo:

004357.JPG

gladys clone-recovering

003371.JPG

lucille clone-recovering

luc-clne.JPG

lucilles clone switched from hydro to soil-looking better:cheer::cheer:

The pictures above are the clones i have been trying to kill lol, for about 5 weeks,they may make it in spite of me.But i'm still a newbie:Rasta:

Re: Hypo Hippy Take Two: clone Soil Grow

well the hydro didn't work out,i checked the res and the ph had plummeted to3.2 and snotty slime was all in it, so i dumped it. I did take the best clone (ww) and potted it to soil,mabe it will work out.The heat has hit here,i moved the soil clones to the a/c room,as soon as the ww has recovered i'm goin to flower them and quit for the summer.lol I will be back it oct with a couple of winter grows.any way stay tuned lets see if i can make something out of the clones.:peacetwo:

DWC can work well in summer temperatures but care must be taken to provide oxygen. When the temperature of a solution rises, its ability to hold dissolved oxygen decreases. Less oxygen means unhealthy roots and an environment in which nasties will thrive but plants will not.

One important tool for DWC in general becomes even more important: The aquarium powerhead.

The one pictured above will draw the liquid from the bottom - they are often meant to work with an under-gravel filter, but should come with a simple plastic tube which can be attached. The clear airline enables such devices to inject a great deal (relatively speaking) of air into the liquid through a venturi effect just before being expelled. The flow diffuser is adjustable so that one can "steer" the aerated liquid.

They work well in combination with air pumps and stones (etc.) and both approaches should be used. The bulk of the oxygenation process takes place at the liquid-atmosphere barrier (think of wave-action in the ocean) and these devices can certainly create a very roiled surface.

They are available in many different flow rates. For a 10- to 13-gallon reservoir, something with a rate of 170gph would be adequate in most cases if the powerhead is complemented with air stones or the like.

They are cheap, generally last a couple of years, and are relatively quiet.

Powerheads are wonderul things, and a great tool to use in DWC. However TS, Hypo's main problem is geography...and the hell hot Dirty South. You combine the explosive heat and humidity of a deep south spring/summer, and the radiant heat of HID lighting, and you have a situation that can only be handled by a res chiller. Hell, I only grow hydro in the winter/very early spring...I'm finishing off my last hydro grow for the year right now...and then I kick back over to dirt.

He'll get it come late fall.

Powerheads are wonderul things, and a great tool to use in DWC. However TS, Hypo's main problem is geography...and the hell hot Dirty South. You combine the explosive heat and humidity of a deep south spring/summer, and the radiant heat of HID lighting, and you have a situation that can only be handled by a res chiller. Hell, I only grow hydro in the winter/very early spring...I'm finishing off my last hydro grow for the year right now...and then I kick back over to dirt.

You're probably right. When I grew in the summer months, the hottest I ever noticed a grow-room having gotten to upon my return was 104°F and the reservoir, being under the canopy, was probably cooler (at the time the only temperature that I thought to even worry about was at canopy-level, lol). That was at the end of the "day" and the starting temperature was usually only around 80°F.

And even with the mad oxygenation methods that I used, yields were still off from cooler grows. And transpiration was a bitch, lol, which upped the humidity level to "sticky." I went through a lot of water. Wish I'd thought of throwing bottles of cold water into the reservoir back then. But the root mass was seriously compromising the volume that I had for the nutrient solution... So I cannot really say whether I would have used them or not. Probably a small one or two if I could keep them from coming into direct contact with the roots.

It wasn't exactly fun, but it was doable. Nothing like growing a small bedroom closet in the upper story of an old uninsulated farm-house in the middle of August after you decide to straighten your window a/c unit so that it'll drain correctly (was coming home in the evening to find that it had completely frozen up like an ice-cube) and end up pushing the thing right out of the window <WHOOPS!>. Thankfully, there was no one walking up my sidewalk at the time, lmfao. The next summer I moved that grow into the basement with the others.

You're probably right. When I grew in the summer months, the hottest I ever noticed a grow-room having gotten to upon my return was 104°F and the reservoir, being under the canopy, was probably cooler (at the time the only temperature that I thought to even worry about was at canopy-level, lol). That was at the end of the "day" and the starting temperature was usually only around 80°F.

And even with the mad oxygenation methods that I used, yields were still off from cooler grows. And transpiration was a bitch, lol, which upped the humidity level to "sticky." I went through a lot of water. Wish I'd thought of throwing bottles of cold water into the reservoir back then. But the root mass was seriously compromising the volume that I had for the nutrient solution... So I cannot really say whether I would have used them or not. Probably a small one or two if I could keep them from coming into direct contact with the roots.

It wasn't exactly fun, but it was doable. Nothing like growing a small bedroom closet in the upper story of an old uninsulated farm-house in the middle of August after you decide to straighten your window a/c unit so that it'll drain correctly (was coming home in the evening to find that it had completely frozen up like an ice-cube) and end up pushing the thing right out of the window <WHOOPS!>. Thankfully, there was no one walking up my sidewalk at the time, lmfao. The next summer I moved that grow into the basement with the others.

Hi TS,very funny story,

thanks for the info on the power head,nice to know.Actually i don,t think heat was my problem when i gave up,but i'm sure it was going to become one later.I had 2 10 inch stones, with a 60 gal aquarium pump running in a 10 gal res.The res temp had been 68f in a a/c room. After i had some kind of slime develope, i gave up until late fall. I will in the mean time research and try again later.Thanks for stopping by.:peacetwo:

you got it southern,these 90's the last couple of days ain't shite compared to whats coming lol,but that said i would'nt live any where else:thumb:

Hey just flew through your first grow, good end product i hope i can come close to replicating. thanks for stopping by and im deffinetly in for this grow. Good luck

Thanks mountain,the babies are doing pretty good.I would like to start a grow without issues,lol. iguess if was easy anyone could do it:smokin::grinjoint:

CLONES_0033.JPG
raptor claws

CLONES_0022.JPG
wwclone in bondage

CLONES_0011.JPG
ww clone in bondage :roorrip::roorrip:

The clones are in second week of feeding,3/4 strength under the 400w mh light on a 18/6 schedule

They look to be recovered and really growing well. :welldone::bravo:

Is the variegation gone now? Couldn't really tell, but it looked to be.

:peace: brother.

Thanks mountain,i see your about to start flushing.I believe the variegation is subsiding,will probibly, start flowering in a week or so.I ordered some fem. papaya & bubbleious will start them this fall. thanks for stopping by.

Hello Hypo, it's been too many days since I visited your place! Just read back a little and saw that you are getting the best advise as usual through Southernweed and others. Great job on the clones by the way.

Your worried about hot weather and I'm looking at a high here of 47 F! I'm stuck with a bunch of babies and no place for them to play yet! Hope it all works out for us, again!

:Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom