Hypo Hippy's first indoor grow

After reading your question the other day woodsman regarding this dark period before harvest and the fact that some people say do it, I spent the evening researching this and taking lots of notes etc.

My personal conclusion is that it is not necessary at all.

Hypo a belated happy 420 day to you my friend. Mine are similar to your as far as trichs, If I look long enough on Fatleaf, I will find one or two amber trichs, mostly cloudy with some clear. I have also wondered about the dark period. I don't know how I would do it with my grow? they are not going to be harvested together so what to do? All the best bro and we'll make it!

HELLO MR.WOODS
THANKS FOR STOPPING BY.I DECIDED TODAY, AFTER SAMPLING SOME OF GLADYS LOWER BUDS(WOHOO!!!) I'M GOING TO START FLUSHING IN A COUPLE DAYS,THEN LIGHTS OUT FOR 3 DAYS AND CHOP CHOP.MOST OF THE TRICHS ARE MILKY.FOR ME I DON'T WANT A "COUCH LOCK" ,WANT SOME THAT I CAN FUNCTION,LOL.
MAYBE THEY DON'T NEED LIGHTS OUT, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE A CHANCE.:goodluck:

HEY LIONS ,

THANKS FOR YOUR RESEARCH,LIKE I TOLD WOODS I'M GOING TO TRY IT ,DON'T THINK IT WILL DO ANY HARM.ITS ONE OF THOSE "CAN'T PROVE IT " EITHER WAY.THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TROUBLE.:peacetwo:

no probs amigo. no it may not harm, is just not any real evidence that proves it has any benefit. Basically it comes down to some old research that more oil is produced during darkness, Of course since then people add 2+2 and get 5 lol I actually found that original thesis.

There is every reason to summise that you probably lose more than you gain by not having that extra light when the plant is still being productive. Most of us want the thc thrichs not the oil anyway of course. It might give a slightly smoother taste; dependent on what additives etc you have used throughout the grow.

What I mean is, if its 'not taking the chance' then you should probably not be doing it.

Either way it most likely isn't going to make much difference and will save a bit of electric haha

:peacetwo: :thumb:

After reading your question the other day woodsman regarding this dark period before harvest and the fact that some people say do it, I spent the evening researching this and taking lots of notes etc.

My personal conclusion is that it is not necessary at all.

Yeah, if your plants are in the flowering room for 81 days then they're in there for 81 days whether you give them light (which provides the energy for flowering) for 81 days or 78 days. Why waste three days with their little engines not running?

Some very few strains don't ever really seem to finish flowering but instead will keep piling on more trichomes (and flowers) while the existing ones age and degrade and there might be some benefit in the extended-darkness thing if someone wants to make sure that there won't be any new development while they give the existing trichs time to turn amber if you really want a narcotic/couch-lock affect that is "uncontaminated" with any up/active/mental-expansion affect whatsoever.

Yeah, if your plants are in the flowering room for 81 days then they're in there for 81 days whether you give them light (which provides the energy for flowering) for 81 days or 78 days. Why waste three days with their little engines not running?

Some very few strains don't ever really seem to finish flowering but instead will keep piling on more trichomes (and flowers) while the existing ones age and degrade and there might be some benefit in the extended-darkness thing if someone wants to make sure that there won't be any new development while they give the existing trichs time to turn amber if you really want a narcotic/couch-lock affect that is "uncontaminated" with any up/active/mental-expansion affect whatsoever.

Thanks, TS for your reasoning, what you say makes sense.I'm not into narcotic effect.This is the tenth week,i'm going to water today,then flush with final flush in two days.let them dry good then cut'em down for curing.
what you opinion ?:peacetwo:

Happy 420 Hypo! you've made it this far, don't freak out now! just keep on it. WW goes 8-11 wks in my garden, how far are you now? just listen and look at your girls. They will tell you when their done. I had plenty good results just by waiting and patience before I ever bought a Microscope. When they look totally done (lots of red hairs, i mean ALOT! and no possible room to bulk up within the buds to were they poke out on the sides.....then take out the microscope. ...if you wanna get technical.) A bagillion trillion million growers in the 70's and 80's grew killer weed without one. I'm not saying that you shouldnt use one or anything, but just keep that in mind. use that knowledge as a base and work up from there. Who really cares (or will notice in the long run) if you don't wait until the perfect exact mega-perfect-instant.) If your growing for yourself you will still get high/medicated, and if your growing clones of that plant you'll know more about it and how it reacts/yields/how long it takes next time. Personalyy I believe that the "exact time" is a myth. It's more of a good guideline than a rule.

This is just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

I think that's a great little bit of advice. The tris in the scope can be so deceiving even when you can see them.

The one piece I would add is I always like the rule about waiting til you think they're done - then wait a few days or a week more.

If you've flushed - and are on water - there's absolutely no harm in a few extras days at the end if you want.

'Nough said. You're in for a treat!

:cool::cool::cool:

I think that's a great little bit of advice. The tris in the scope can be so deceiving even when you can see them.

The one piece I would add is I always like the rule about waiting til you think they're done - then wait a few days or a week more.

If you've flushed - and are on water - there's absolutely no harm in a few extras days at the end if you want.

'Nough said. You're in for a treat!

Thanks Papa, you're right abt seeing the trichs. i'm going to water and see how they look. I've taken some lower buds,about 3-4 days ago,they smoke real good,looking for more of a social high than a couch lock.I have five clones (3 in soil 2 in the bubbler). I'm sure i'll be happy as soon as i cure them.i know i could'nt have done it without all the helpful info here at 420 mag. Thanks to all:Rasta::Rasta:

The last couple of weeks is sometimes the most difficult as far as trying to time the harvest correctly. I used to wait till at least 3/4 of the hairs were dark. That was before I got a microscope and can look at the trichomes. Now it's twice as hard! Different parts of one bud can have different color trichome! Like Papa said, 'wait till ya think their ready and wait one more week!

The last couple of weeks is sometimes the most difficult as far as trying to time the harvest correctly. I used to wait till at least 3/4 of the hairs were dark. That was before I got a microscope and can look at the trichomes. Now it's twice as hard! Different parts of one bud can have different color trichome! Like Papa said, 'wait till ya think their ready and wait one more week!

Hi woods, well its the 10th week i have started the water only thing,today i'm going to water again then final flush with grotek pina' colada. 90% of both plants pistils are brown,then a couple of weeks or so of curing.The rh (outside) has been 85%, glad i have the dehumidifier.Next, on to the clones,hopefully i'll treat them better lol. good vibes on your harvest my friend.:peacetwo:

Hi woods, well its the 10th week i have started the water only thing,today i'm going to water again then final flush with grotek pina' colada. 90% of both plants pistils are brown,then a couple of weeks or so of curing.The rh (outside) has been 85%, glad i have the dehumidifier.Next, on to the clones,hopefully i'll treat them better lol. good vibes on your harvest my friend.:peacetwo:

Sounds like your right on it Hypo! Your heading for the finish line! Great job and a great harvest to come!

013184.JPG

Gladys clones
014161.JPG

Gladys

02089.JPG
Lucille

016123.JPG

021101.JPG

Harvest in 3-4 days WO HOO

You fella's are to kind,could not have done it with out all the help i received from all my friends here at 420 .Thanks for all your support.:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom