I'm with Sueet and don't think you need any humidity packs for vacuum-sealed weed. But you should keep burping even after the jars reach 62% (not for long though if your room is 45%!). I don't want to seal my jars up for curing until they've been drying for a total of 3 weeks from chop. That's when I feel like the chlorophyll is burned off enough to seal.

I'm with Sueet and don't think you need any humidity packs for vacuum-sealed weed.

if you jar it at the right time they're not essential. if you miss that point though you're screwed. it's easier if you have a decent stable ambient rh. i've jarred at 13% ambient. you're not gonna get real cure at that level unless you know how to incorporate a humidity pack properly.

if you get an ambient rh up in to the 50s it gets easier. anything above 60% becomes the opposite. at that point i recommend a bag or fridge cure as mold becomes an issue. turkey bags are good in that scenario as well.

But you should keep burping even after the jars reach 62% (not for long though if your room is 45%!). I don't want to seal my jars up for curing until they've been drying for a total of 3 weeks from chop. That's when I feel like the chlorophyll is burned off enough to seal.

i shoot for a minimum 3 wk cure as well. working stuff out in the jars is where piles of quality is gained.

Almost every one of my harvests is dried in ambient RH over 60!

i'd kill for that. if it's 60% here it's raining or a flood. :p

at 34% right now.

Do your folks mind you taking over the fridge for the low and slow? :)

hell no, i'm on my own.

they got 3 fridges stuffed. they're just in it for the pills and creams....:p
i've only squeezed one small fridge dry in the last 3 or 4 yrs.

edit : actually up late making mom some topicals lol

Me again! Raining and wet here House is at 61% RH.Several batches recently dried, now in Jars buds are hanging out at about 68 to 72 in Jars, Is that too moist? Should i put them in a bag till the moisture absorbs? I've been burping this batch for 3 days. I bought a bunch of mini hygrometers but none of them are very accurate! I can tell the buds are moist though. Also i'm using 1/2 gallon 64 oz mason jars, i have 15 of them in total filled with weed. thats a lot of weed for 4 plants no? Are the jars too big?

I prefer turkey bags for the burping period because the allow you to lay the buds out flat to get more air exposure than when stacked in jars. If the RH in the house is 61% I would put the bud back on the racks to try to get the RH down in the flowers to the mid-60s. That's hard to do in jars as high at 72%.

When the RH in my house is in the mid-60s I actually lay the turkey bags flat, put the hygrometer on the front edge of each bag to hold it down, and aim a fan at them!

i believe you said get them to 70 (or lower in the grow closet ) then jar or bag. However if after you do that and it they rise to above 70, ( lots of rain here) then put back on the rack or bag- Is that right?
I'm concerned about knocking off terpenes, putting them in an out of jars so often.

One they start curing and have been burping but the humidity rises , dont you have to go back to square one and start the 3 weeks in jars all over again curing and burping?
Our weather has done a 180 from dry to super wet weather in a few days. RH here today is sticky and 67.

and God bless you for your faithful replies Shed!

I'm concerned about knocking off terpenes, putting them in an out of jars so often.
Trichomes. :) Terpenes float away on the breeze! If you're careful then you won't knock off any more trichomes by putting them back on the rack than you would rolling them in the jars twice a day before burping. It's tough with the RH goes up, but I don't like to close a jar of buds over 70% RH.

If you don't want to transfer them, lay the jars on their sides and point a fan at them. If it's 61% in the house that would work well.
One they start curing and have been burping but the humidity rises , dont you have to go back to square one and start the 3 weeks in jars all over again curing and burping?
Not at all! While burping to 62% is ideal, it's not the reason to burp. The reason to burp it to refresh the air in the jars and allow the chlorophyll to burn off before they're sealed for the cure. You could hang for a week and burp for two and still find yourself at 68% RH. Then you would either need a mini-dehumidifier or rice balls to get the jars down to 62% for the cure, and you could do that in a day.

ALREADY dumped them all back on to the mesh drying rack back in the closet, I doubt there will be any trichomes left after the 3rd time doing this. Oh well :( . So should i just leave them there with a fan for a few days or get rice balls and re jar?

Bovedas are for maintaining RH, not for changing it. They work very slowly over a pretty narrow range.

they work both ways. they are the transsexuals of weed curing lol.

they will pull moisture out or add it accordingly. but they 'should' be used within a +/- 5% range. in reality i've used them well past that range in either side. more like +/- 10%.

you have to make sure to manage the cure and the burping periods carefully. i change it depending on the rh% going in to the jars. i always get it stable and jar it with a boveda for 8 wks after stable with minimal checking.

i also recommend using some cheap hygrometers to monitor the rh in the jars. mine aren't all exceptionally accurate, but between them i get a good idea, which is all it takes.

Rice balls will suck the moisture out quickly and then you remove them.

great way to avoid mold if you've jarred too wet. it will bring a jar down much faster than a boveda but watch them hard.

Funny I would give the same advice when trying to use Bovedas to any heavy lifting in a jar too wet! I've seen folks rot their buds waiting for a Boveda to lower the RH in a jar.

that's where the burping comes in. it can't go in too wet though. anything past a point i will either rice ball or pull out for 24 - 48 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom