It is completely your choice how to do it. I leave my leaves on til they're all floppy and loose, because they contribute moisture to the whole and it helps it take a bit longer to get dry. You have to base it on your circumstances tho, obviously that would be a terrible choice for someone with too much humidity.

Hi everyone, SO I have one of my plants now curing in glass jars and the humidity has creeped up to 68% (yes i'm opening 2 time a day leaving open for 15 min per jar and burping. (they are in a dark area also) would this be a good time to add the 62% BOVEDA packs to help them cure properly? The article i just read said to add them right way to your jars and you no longer have to burp them, i wanted to get everyones thoughts on this. I'm using 1/2 gallon and gallon jars. Photos from today …thanks in advance

BEE7CAFE-C76A-4ADA-84B1-BEECD01E4B5C.jpeg

7A7B44F4-0C4E-4044-ABDB-3D8850265013.jpeg

now curing in glass jars and the humidity has creeped up to 68% (yes i'm opening 2 time a day leaving open for 15 min per jar and burping.
Curing is a different process from burping. Burping is part of the drying process to get the buds down to 62% RH in the jars while allowing the chlorophyll to escape. Curing happens after the burping is complete, about three weeks after chop.
would this be a good time to add the 62% BOVEDA packs to help them cure properly?
No. Boveda packs are to maintain the RH in the jar, not change it. The jar should be as close to 62% when you seal it for the cure as you can reasonably get it.
The article i just read said to add them right way to your jars and you no longer have to burp them, i wanted to get everyones thoughts on this.
The article is wrong. The burping process is part of the dry as I mentioned. The drying process allows the burn-off of the chlorophyll in the flowers, and the burping process refreshes the oxygen in the jar and allows the gases to escape. After about 3 weeks post-chop you have gotten the majority of the chlorophyll out and you can seal them for the cure at 62% RH. Curing is when the microbes in the plant munch down on the sugars, starches, and nutrients making for a smoother and better tasting smoke.

Short circuiting this process is what makes people think they've done something wrong with the grow, when in reality, they've just done a poor dry/cure.

Curing is a different process from burping. Burping is part of the drying process to get the buds down to 62% RH in the jars while allowing the chlorophyll to escape. Curing happens after the burping is complete, about three weeks after chop.

No. Boveda packs are to maintain the RH in the jar, not change it. The jar should be as close to 62% when you seal it for the cure as you can reasonably get it.

The article is wrong. The burping process is part of the dry as I mentioned. The drying process allows the burn-off of the chlorophyll in the flowers, and the burping process refreshes the oxygen in the jar and allows the gases to escape. After about 3 weeks post-chop you have gotten the majority of the chlorophyll out and you can seal them for the cure at 62% RH. Curing is when the microbes in the plant munch down on the sugars, starches, and nutrients making for a smoother and better tasting smoke.

Short circuiting this process is what makes people think they've done something wrong with the grow, when in reality, they've just done a poor dry/cure.
Wow I’m really glad I asked about this should I be concerned that the humidity is so high in the jars or is it OK for them to stay that high and do I just keep the lids open until they come down a little bit?

if you're not hitting back up to 60 - 62% within 24hrs of a burp then you can stick the bovedas in the jars and walk away.
you wanna seal them up when they hit a stable rh.

I’m in love with some really good buds that have 31% wish I could grow something like that!

thc percentage claims are not worth much. it's possible to do but you really have to be dialed in and experienced. if you're outdoor then you can't control things enough usually.

more and more it's become clear that the other cannabinoids have as much if not more to do with effect than thc. thc is one compound out of hundreds in the plant.

Hey Shed a quick Update on the testing, I now have both of my sample results:
Sample #2 was my 1st plant harvested Early On Oct 2nd only had 15.9% cannabinoids compared to my :(
SAMPLE #1 was taken Oct 7th test done with plant still in the pot was close to 20.75%.
I'm tempted to re-test again after my final harvest this weekend, not sure it's worth it it but it sure would be nice to know for next time. Waiting is definitely the way to go after all that hard work. I'll need to bake and learn to make hash with the the low TCH stuff!

I REALLY LEARNED so much though this grow and I appreciate all the advice (I'm not done yet -I have to get through the next harvest and curing stages )

My weak (but educational) early harvest early was a good experience for me and now I have learned what to look for. I I Still got Karen's scolding me for wet trimming and bud washing vs dry trimming, and i thought about it, I tell ya though I can't imagine smoking BT left on my plants!!! Being able to wash that off makes me feel better. Don't most dispensaries wash their buds before they retail them? hmmm. oh well!

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 3.56.40 PM.png

One of the many reasons to grow your own is to know exactly where your meds come from. I'm sure that large grow operations don't wash their weed. I bet most don't even bother to cure it.

And feel free to spend as much money on testing as you can afford! Or don't! Do a blind test where you don't know which buds you're smoking from one day to the next and take notes. Then at the end of week you can see what you wrote for each set. :)

Awesome, Thanks again Shed!
Wow I’m really glad I asked about this should I be concerned that the humidity is so high in the jars or is it OK for them to stay that high and do I just keep the lids open until they come down a little bit?
Leave them on during trimming (that alone will save you many hours!) and knock them off when you're cutting the buds off the stems and moving to burping (in jars or turkey bags).

Keep the trichome-laden trim for edibles and hash.
So I’m having a really hard time maintaining a good humidity level in my grow closet. So I’m slowly harvesting the rest of my plants, cutting washing and wet trimming letting them hang out side until they are no longer wet to the touch, about 3 to 4 hrs… then putting on hangers leaving them on stems to finish drying . My closet stays pretty good at about 60 to 65 for the first couple of days then it dries out super fast and drops down to like 45 it seems like things are drying a little faster than I would like them to because it’s only about three days until they start feeling really dry. I pulled some out today and bucked the buds off the stems and most felt a little dry. Some a little more moisture than others so I put them in a paper bag for now with a hygrometer. I thought I would check to see what the hygrometer says in about an hour and then decide if they should go right into jars am I doing the right thing here? I really don’t wanna mess up the dry or the cure I want this to be good!

5A782019-1451-45F4-8334-221DE9524D23.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom