Icemud Goes LED - Featuring Top LED Grow - Cherry Pie GSC/OGiesel/SFV OG/UVH OG

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

For growing the best quality meds...LED will definitely do this over traditional lighting types. Another recommendation is to get into High Brix growing.... DocBud is another member here at 420 and is the Godfather of high brix growing. He has come up with a kit that pretty much all you have to do is buy his kit, and a bale of Promix HP, and he has formulated it to grow the best cannabis possible. High brix in general is the amount of sugar a plant is producing. The more sugar its producing and storing, the healthier the plant is and the closer to its genetic potential it has become. By far High Brix herb is the best I have ever had, and will be the only focus from here on out. I approach High Brix with a more trial and error method where Docbud uses scientists and labs to get their much more precisely, which is why I recommend his kit. Also there is probably a few handfuls of growers here who also use it, so plenty of support if you have questions.

The reason I mention this is High Brix weed will give you what you aare looking for, the best possible quality available.

I got my kit Monday. Mixing my medium this weekend and hopefully, popping some beans 1st week of Oct after it's cooked a month. It's not difficult, in fact, it should be easier than traditional AND you get the benefit of growing the best produce. The hardest thing for me (maybe for most) is to realize, and wrap your head around the fact, it's not the same TDS/pH kind of thing most have become used to.

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

Ice we really do think a lot a like. What you explain makes perfect sense and I would expect each additional 6" squared of coverage would require a bigger addition of lights then the previous 6" of coverage took to achieve. The thing is the mars series do not advance like that at all and one step up can be less additional chips then the one before it. Probably some magic in the angles they are pointing them in or something but its not what I was expecting to see so it jumped out at me. This was also the reason I bought the 700w since it appears to be more intense per square foot of listed coverage then the 400 or 900 do based on chip counts and area covered.

Anyway im glad im not the only one that over thinks this stuff.

Agree GovCheese. I think the hardest part of switching to docs kit was getting my head wrapped around how easy it really is. My brain kept wanting to make things more complicated lol.

Have a good day all!

IceMud you are the man! I remember when i first started growing, or researching growing, you came up a lot, on youtube and of course here! Your detailed posts and experiments are great!
Anyway, i just wanted to tell you how great you are ;) for the information that you share and the way that you do it! You are a model human being my friend!

I have recently just flipped to 12/12, so if you are curious, there is a link to my journal in my sig, I'd love to know what you think.

:peace:

Thanks for your work Icemud!

I've been searching the forums a lot about led lighting, organics, and supersoil. There's a lot of great information in your threads. Thanks for sharing! I just purchased a mars 2 1200w I'm running it in a 4x4 tent. Germinating blue lavender and cookies and cream. I will be making a grow journal in the next couple days. It would be awesome if you could chime in and give me some tips along the way!

I see you have problems with kickstarting seeds, could it be your supplier? I'm in uk and last ones I bought from "herbies" all popped in 24 hours. I soak for 12 hours in tap water ( we got soft water where I am) then put them in kitchen roll/tissue, when they have popped and the tap is poking out 10mm/half inch, I stick um in 1 inch rockwool cubes, soaked in quarter strength gentle grow solution called formulex (dunno if you get that over there) but any grow solution at 2.5 strength will do I reckon.
I just cover them over in a propagator and wait till root starts to show at the bottom of the cube. Then I put the cubes in a home made bubbler (it's a plastic sandwich/lunch box) holds just 2 litres of water and half strength allowing an inch under the cubes for the oxygen and they fly out the blocks like Usain bolt after about a week, it never fails, did I read u use a heated mat? I bought a heated propagator once and it cooked them, I dunno whether that maybe adding to your problem. Using this method you could then transplant to your soil mix in pots knowing you already have roots to feed the seedling instead of wondering whats happninunder the soil.
I aint tryin to teach grandmother to suck eggs here Icemud as your led grows are bangin, I'm following you and another dude on uk420 under leds. One comment that does recur is under leds the girls like more magnesium (they all seem to use cal/mag but are in coco) but with your eclectic soil mix they may well be ok and foliar spraying will cover them. If I knew how to put up a pic I could show you roots on a 12 day old seedling using this method.:Namaste:
Nughead.

Here you go I sussed how to do it, this seedling has been in the cube for 12 days 14 days from popping.

seedling 12 day old bubbled.

Ask, how to prune and care only way so thick and strong?
Time set switch LED lights is how to set? 24/0? 18/6?

Here is a quick update, In my other journal I harvested my GSC but I wanted to throw the remaining plant into my tent and see what happens, if she re-vegges or not. That is really the only update for today other than the plants are looking great. Here is some pics!

DSC08098.JPG
DSC081011.JPG
DSC081021.JPG
DSC081031.JPG
DSC08104.JPG
DSC08105.JPG
DSC081061.JPG
DSC08107.JPG

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

I have started some high CBD plants myself. For your relief how do you use it? Smoke? Vape? oil?

Thanks

Supergroomer

Hey, the tents I use are really nice...there slightly bigger than a standard 2x4...they are the hydrohut 2x4 silver edition which actually measure closer to 28"x55"x78" which is more of a 2.5'x5'x7' area. They might work for you well. I would highly recommend them, I bought one and its been going strong for 4 years, and I liked it so much I bought a 2nd one.. the only issue I had was a little threading came loose on the zipper which i had to just sew in some new thread...

I'm not aware of a strain just called SFV, but I love SFV OG. SFV OG stands for San Fernando Valley and from what I read, SFV OG is one of the cuts from the original OG...as well as others like Larry OG, Tahoe OG, Raskal's cut and others.... not sure how true it all is but seems to be the common ground.

I believe CBD is really good for Epilepsy, so you may want to seek a high CBD strain. Most of the medical benefits are associted with CBD and not THC, so you may want to do a little research to see what others with Epilepsy choose to work. I'm growing Harlequin right now which is a 1:1 THC/CBD ratio...I had severe back pain to the point I was about to take some pills, but decided to try the Harlequin instead, and within 15 minutes, the pain was completely gone.. I am one that doesn't like to take pills unless absolutely necessary, and I was very happy to know Harlequin worked better. :)

Try looking at Medicann Blue Blood. I got the beans for Herbies. It has 15-20% THC and 10% CBD.

Supergroomer

Again Ice Thank you so much, you are correct on the SFV, it is San Fernando Valley, the stuff I was getting was called SFV private reserve, and could never get a clone off that plant, only the SFV OG.. When they tested the SFV PR it came in at like 26% thc with a high CBD, its just hard to get ahold of.. Even the collective that supplies me with it is currently out and charge you your first born for a nub of it... The SFV OG is close tho, and always in stock im sure what you cranked out would match anything I purchased.. That's why im so excited to get going...

That Lighting setup you have is just sick!!! My gut is telling me it would pay me back 3 fold down the road! and like you said it would indeed cover a 4x4 but one light? scares me.. But makes sense at the same time. One Fixture, less hassle, controllable dimmable.. Do I need to order the controller as well? I know im a pain in the ass! But my Gut says go with that, and supplement if needed. Give me the link and that code fack it, that light seems to kick some serious ass!

good to see you again icemud!!!!

looks like these mars2's did nice for you..i was checking them out, but was a little scared when i saw a few people saying stuff burned out on them, they look like good lights and at a very good price.. would you recommencement them Ice?? did you have any trouble with them??

looks like these mars2's did nice for you..i was checking them out, but was a little scared when i saw a few people saying stuff burned out on them, they look like good lights and at a very good price.. would you recommencement them Ice?? did you have any trouble with them??

Well I will put it this way... The Mars II worked decently for a "economy based" LED grow light. Yes they work, but since this grow I actually have used other brand LED's and have seen the difference. If affordability is your main priority, then Mars will probably suit your needs well, but if you are looking to "invest" in a good grow light, I would highly recommend the ones I currently am using, the Advanced LED XTE series.

As far as trouble with the Mars.. I didn't really have any with the Mars II.... but here are the things that I wasn't fond of... the fans were very noisy.. the light was bright, but when I checked it with my PAR meter it wasn't really optimal for cannabis (400w model) at far distances over 1' really, which then minimized the coverage area to about 1 1/2' x 1 1/2' for optimal lighting.... The lights were very very heavy too for a smaller wattage light and are much heavier than the other 2 brands I have used. The panels ran fairly hot, though not the hottest running LED's I have (case temp) but they were definitely higher than the new Advanced ones I am running. Now...theses again are fairly small "gripes" but for a very cheap entry level grow light, it was good. Like I said though, if you want to invest in a better panel... check my current journal and you will see what I am running now and very happy with.

thank you for the info ice!!

You are welcome :) Happy LED shopping!

Re: Icemud goes LED: Featuring TOP GROW LED: Cherry Pie, GSC, OGiesel, SFV OG, UVH OG

Hey there icemud. I'm not sure if this is the right place or not, but being that I'm new here, I can't pm u yet.
I've been trying to decide between the marsII and the reflector series. I've been reading through the threads on it here in the forums and someone mentioned asking you since you have experience with both
Could you please help me in comparing them? I know the marsII has 5W and the reflector 3W, but I've been reading many different opinions on which is better.
I'm under the impression that the extra power in the 5W only matters if ur growing tall plants over 5FT. But at the same time I see a lot of guys here happy with them, I'm not concerned about small differences in quantity. What in after is quality
Have u used the reflector for both veg and flower?
Also another thing I considered is the extra heat with the marsII. My room is small (2.5ftx4) with only fan ventilation. Nothing serious. I wouldn't want the marsII overheating the room
Thnks!!

What Dyou think? Thnks!

Re: Icemud goes LED: Featuring TOP GROW LED: Cherry Pie, GSC, OGiesel, SFV OG, UVH OG

Hey there icemud. I'm not sure if this is the right place or not, but being that I'm new here, I can't pm u yet.
I've been trying to decide between the marsII and the reflector series. I've been reading through the threads on it here in the forums and someone mentioned asking you since you have experience with both
Could you please help me in comparing them? I know the marsII has 5W and the reflector 3W, but I've been reading many different opinions on which is better.
I'm under the impression that the extra power in the 5W only matters if ur growing tall plants over 5FT. But at the same time I see a lot of guys here happy with them, I'm not concerned about small differences in quantity. What in after is quality
Have u used the reflector for both veg and flower?
Also another thing I considered is the extra heat with the marsII. My room is small (2.5ftx4) with only fan ventilation. Nothing serious. I wouldn't want the marsII overheating the room
Thnks!!

What Dyou think? Thnks!

Hey Happy Joy!

I have only used the Mars II for flowering but never the reflector. The reflector series is great for a veg light, but I haven't used it for flowering so really can't compare. The Mars II is ok for flowering, for a economy priced light. Since I used the mars II, I've tried a few other LED lights and I can honestly say the Mars II is OK for a cheap economy priced panel, however when compared to something like the XTE series by Advanced LED that I currently am using, not even a close comparison as the XTE blows the mars II out of the water, but also is about 3x more in price but also the yields are much much better, quality is much better and the longevity of the Advanced LED panels is much better.

As far as heating the room, any source at X amount of watts emits Y amount of heat, meaning that if you have a 100w cfl, 100w led, 100w HID, they all emit the same heat by the laws of physics, so therefore any Draw of X amount of watts will add the same heat load as another light using X amount of watts..

Now as far as the mars II for 5' plants. I checked the PAR PPFD and the mars isn't really designed for tall bushy plants as the PPFD lacks severely when compared to other LED brands of the same wattage. This has a lot to do with the mars II not using secondary lenses which help focus the light into tighter beam angles allowing for the PPFD to carry further. If you plan on growing 5' plants, best thing would to be looking for a LED that has secondary lenses. If you can't afford better lights, then mars will do, however if you are looking for the best, I would highly recommend advanced LED XTE series. Can't beat premium cree and osram chips vs cheap epistar and epiled chips

Hey Happy Joy!

As far as heating the room, any source at X amount of watts emits Y amount of heat, meaning that if you have a 100w cfl, 100w led, 100w HID, they all emit the same heat by the laws of physics, so therefore any Draw of X amount of watts will add the same heat load as another light using X amount of watts..

Now as far as the mars II for 5' plants. I checked the PAR PPFD and the mars isn't really designed for tall bushy plants as the PPFD lacks severely when compared to other LED brands of the same wattage. This has a lot to do with the mars II not using secondary lenses which help focus the light into tighter beam angles allowing for the PPFD to carry further. If you plan on growing 5' plants, best thing would to be looking for a LED that has secondary lenses. If you can't afford better lights, then mars will do, however if you are looking for the best, I would highly recommend advanced LED XTE series. Can't beat premium cree and osram chips vs cheap epistar and epiled chips

thnks for ur time and reply!
as far as the heating thing, ive read in many places that even though they put out the same wattage, that the 5W leds have hotter drivers, and do actually put out more heat, than the 3W drivers and leds.

the thing is, that im not looking at growing plants over 5feet tall. ive got some sativa strains (maui and durban), but ill be lst'ing them. i would for sure spend more for one of those premium lights if i could, but right now even the mars is abit above my budget.
i really dont need quantity at all, but its a bit of a letdown, to think that the quality of my plants would be compromised using them.
my budget is around $250-300$ max right now. i would even consider buying a better small light and growing just 1 plant if its such a big difference in quality...

using the marsII 400W or the reflector 144X3 on just two or three medium sized plants in a room thats 2.5x3feet wont give sufficient results? i could always supplement with CFL's to fill the gaps?

do you think that the mars reflector or marsII will still give better results than a CFL setup of equivelant watts? am i wasting my money on the mars lights?
thnks again for ur time:thumb:

thnks for ur time and reply!
as far as the heating thing, ive read in many places that even though they put out the same wattage, that the 5W leds have hotter drivers, and do actually put out more heat, than the 3W drivers and leds.

the thing is, that im not looking at growing plants over 5feet tall. ive got some sativa strains (maui and durban), but ill be lst'ing them. i would for sure spend more for one of those premium lights if i could, but right now even the mars is abit above my budget.
i really dont need quantity at all, but its a bit of a letdown, to think that the quality of my plants would be compromised using them.
my budget is around $250-300$ max right now. i would even consider buying a better small light and growing just 1 plant if its such a big difference in quality...

using the marsII 400W or the reflector 144X3 on just two or three medium sized plants in a room thats 2.5x3feet wont give sufficient results? i could always supplement with CFL's to fill the gaps?

do you think that the mars reflector or marsII will still give better results than a CFL setup of equivelant watts? am i wasting my money on the mars lights?
thnks again for ur time:thumb:

When comparing electronic devices... a 100w light vs 100w toaster vs 100w AC unit all will add the exact same heat load to the room. The diode size doesn't matter. If its 180w, whether its 3w or 5w diodes, if it is using 180w of energy, the heat load to the room will be the same. That's physics, the laws don't change.

In all honesty, you should ask this question in the Mars thread, where you will have hundreds of Mars LED users that can comment and will probably get a more concise opinion on whats better for your garden.

I don't think that Mars lights are a waste of money, as I said they are good for a "economy priced" LED and have literally hundreds of happy users. The reflector series will give you a more even coverage in a 2x4 area than the mars II would because of its size and design. LED's are very directional light sources (like a spotlight) so the beam doesn't spread well, therefore to get good coverage a larger panel design or multiple panels are usually key for optimal lighting. I haven't used the reflector series to flower, and when I tested it with my PAR meter, the numbers weren't impressive to say the least. I still use my 144x3w in my extra clone/veg tent because its great for veg, but like I said before, I have never flowered with it so I probably can't give the best opinion as to what is better. Based on the PAR readings, I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't impressed with the Mars II either as far as the PAR readings. I would highly suggest asking the question in the Mars thread, where there are a lot of people that are fans of the Mars II lights and you most likely will be able to get more of a group answer.

I wish I could give you more guidance, but in my opinion, its better to save up and get some Advanced LED lights, which will last much longer and are far brighter than the mars II

Back
Top Bottom