Icemud's Grow 4.0 - High Brix Focus with Gas Lamp Routine - V-Scrog

Re: Icemud's Grow 4.0..High Brix focus with Gas Lamp Routine..V-Scrog

Pulling up a seat for this one. Finally nice to see the legend Icemud in action, as I missed the last grow. I am using GLR on my current grow and love it so far.

Hey Tactical...whao the legend... I think you made me blush a lil...lmao :) I will definitely do my best to put on a good show this round, so far the ladies are doing really well and loving there new soil. I love the GLR, such a difference in my electric bills and seems that the growth is the same :)

As promised I started my compost tea bubbling away last night and so here is the ingredients that I used.

1 TBSP calcium carbonate powder
40ml fulvic acid
1 nylon stocking filled with a good tennis ball sized amount of my premixed soil from transplant.
1 TBSP of dry molasses
20ml 2-4-0 Fish hydrolyzed
30ml hygrozyme
1oz cold pressed seaweed
orca benificial bacteria/mycos liquid

I will post some photo's after the lights come on today.

Ice,

Do you have your full power of light come on for the 1 hour of GLR or do you have something small like a CFl or two? Do you just want to interrupt the dark, or actually get some growing going on in that hour?

I used the GLR for veg of my last grow and the growth is terrific. I used the full 600W, but it seemed to burn out a fairly new MHConv in a digital ballast within 2 weeks. I'm not sure if it was the GLR or just a bad bulb. Tossed in the HPS for the rest of the 2 wk veg.

I have HTG's new Digital Plus HPS with 30% more blue that I will probably use from seed on the next grow, but I don't want to wear it out premature if a CFL or two is sufficient for the one hour.

Started showing hairs in a week using GLR.

Also on the subject of teas, here is what I use Organic 8: Bud & Bloom Booster 4-10-7 | Doctor Earth They say to use 1 cup per gallon, but I only use 1 or 2 in a 5 gallon bucket along with Molasses, and some Myco Madness or Stump Tea for the microbes. Nice thick foamy head in 24 hrs.

great journal so far with loads of info, i think i will run the GLR routine for my new grow this week.

Is it possible to run the GLR routine with just a CFL for veg ?

:hippy:

, i'll chime in ice i know your a working man, im a housewife lol,you can use cfls for the one hour but there is a caveat you want that hour to be pretty bright reaching all the plants, your trying to destroy the flowering hormone enough to keep them just this side of flower, i would say at least 42watts of cfl for every 4 sq feet of plants in my 4x2 tent i put 2 23 watt cfls on either side of the 4 foot span across they were about 2 foot apart just centered over the plants it worked well, now i have the 4x2 6 bulb t5 light and just use that, i have always liked fluros for veg , i like mh and hps for flower mh gives off a little uvb that improves resin production and potency

, i'll chime in ice i know your a working man, im a housewife lol,you can use cfls for the one hour but there is a caveat you want that hour to be pretty bright reaching all the plants, your trying to destroy the flowering hormone enough to keep them just this side of flower, i would say at least 42watts of cfl for every 4 sq feet of plants in my 4x2 tent i put 2 23 watt cfls on either side of the 4 foot span across they were about 2 foot apart just centered over the plants it worked well, now i have the 4x2 6 bulb t5 light and just use that, i have always liked fluros for veg , i like mh and hps for flower mh gives off a little uvb that improves resin production and potency

Great info wish I can give you more reps

Thanks BID i will be using a 200w CFL in a 4ft square tent so i should be fine to just run that for the whole veg process ? :thanks:

be very careful with those 200s the word is they get hot n catch fire my grow shop refuses to even order them for customers! it should work for you,however i offer an alternate that you may like and might be safer, with many cfls spread out you will get better area coverage,less plants reaching in 1 direction , i have a thread i did another diy light array let me go find the link

thank you BID will have a read of that now, and thanks for letting me know about them getting hot will keep my eyes on it and make sure its not getting to hot.

:high-five:

i really liked that little thread its got some good info on there, gunna run the 200s this time as i have them both and see if i have any problems with them, if i do i will make up a D.I.Y light strip for them .

:cheer:

Hey everyone!!! sorry it took a few days to reply...

Today is day 13 of veg for the plants and they are looking pretty healthy, all have been LST'd now for the past 3 or 4 days and responding well. The new growth on the plants looks very healthy and already has a slight high brix shimmer/shine to the leaves as well as the new stems are bright green on some of the plants :) Growth however seems to be slow for being 13 days into the grow, maybe I'm just being anxious but I figure I would switch out my Ceramic Metal Halide for my Ushio Opti Blue Conversion MH bulb which has a much heavier blue end of the spectrum. I took some before and after photos and you will see the difference between the 2 bulbs. The Ceramic metal halide bulb is very close to sunlight spectrum, where as the Ushio is very heavy blue tinted...

I made a home made spectrometer and here is what the bulbs through out...
Ushio Optiblue
Ushio_Optiblue.JPG

Ceramic Metal Halide
Ceramic_MH.JPG

HPS 600w USHIO opti red
Ushio_Optired.JPG

Ceramic Metal Halide
IMG_20121024_181403.jpg

Ushio OptiBlue
IMG_20121024_182714.jpg

I think this may help push more vegetative growth so we will see the results in the next few days, I will definitely through the CMH back in in flowering though because it has a very heavy red end to it...

As for feeding, I haven't given them any water since the compost tea a few day's ago and the soil is still pretty moist so I will probably be at least another few days. The humidity has dropped quite a bit so I have my humidifier keeping it around 40-50%. I also added my 1st TNB Naturals CO2 bottle that I won in the contests... I am really excited to have these and however good they do, any added CO2 is helping :) and I very much appreciate the kind gesture from our sponsor and 420magazine!!!

Well since there is not much else to report on, here are the photos!!
IMG_20121024_181312.jpg

IMG_20121024_181320.jpg

IMG_20121024_181403.jpg

IMG_20121024_182714.jpg

IMG_20121024_182721.jpg

Blue Dream
IMG_20121024_181327.jpg
IMG_20121024_181336.jpg

Pre 98 Bubba
IMG_20121024_181339.jpg
IMG_20121024_181345.jpg

Skywalker OG ( I burnt the back one a little by not having my lights high enough when I hit em with a fungicide) OOPS, shes ok though
IMG_20121024_181350.jpg
IMG_20121024_181350.jpg
IMG_20121024_181356.jpg

Ice,

Do you have your full power of light come on for the 1 hour of GLR or do you have something small like a CFl or two? Do you just want to interrupt the dark, or actually get some growing going on in that hour?

I used the GLR for veg of my last grow and the growth is terrific. I used the full 600W, but it seemed to burn out a fairly new MHConv in a digital ballast within 2 weeks. I'm not sure if it was the GLR or just a bad bulb. Tossed in the HPS for the rest of the 2 wk veg.

I have HTG's new Digital Plus HPS with 30% more blue that I will probably use from seed on the next grow, but I don't want to wear it out premature if a CFL or two is sufficient for the one hour.

Started showing hairs in a week using GLR.

Also on the subject of teas, here is what I use Organic 8: Bud & Bloom Booster 4-10-7 | Doctor Earth They say to use 1 cup per gallon, but I only use 1 or 2 in a 5 gallon bucket along with Molasses, and some Myco Madness or Stump Tea for the microbes. Nice thick foamy head in 24 hrs.

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, Thanks Big Irish For helping a brotha out :)

For mine I am using my 600w (dialed down to 400w) HPS for the light inturruption period. You can use a CFL, as long as its bright enough to pass the light compensation point and spark up photosynthesis. The only reason I used the HPS is because I trust the bulb and ballast in firing up more consistantly than my MH bulb and magnetic ballast, and I don't have CFL's running in there. But to answer your question, yes, you can use a cfl to break up the light cycle. In the studies I read the tests were actually done with just a 680nm and a 700nm IR light.

Also on you ballast and MH conversion burning out, it may have not been the GLR that destroyed the bulb. Some digital ballasts can't handle a MH conversion bulb, like my Ushio bulb for example, its made to convert a HPS magnetic ballast to a MH but will not operate in a lot of digital ballasts.. just may want to make sure your bulb is made to work with your ballast.

Very good info Big Irish Dude, thanks for your assistance in helping our members, and keeping my journal alive :) Much appreciation!!

Looking good Ice. Stop by my GDP journal sometime. I am always open for suggestions. :)

Hey Ice enjoying this thread, Just wiondering how yours are coming along and how are they responding to the GLR, i will be using the GLR starting tonight have had my under pure light for the last 24 hours at midnight which will mean they will have been under for 36 hours i will turn it off for 5 1/2 hours and start from there.

Hey Ice enjoying this thread, Just wiondering how yours are coming along and how are they responding to the GLR, i will be using the GLR starting tonight have had my under pure light for the last 24 hours at midnight which will mean they will have been under for 36 hours i will turn it off for 5 1/2 hours and start from there.

The Gas Lamp Routine is amazing, and it is how all indoor growers should be growing. Why use extra electricity and stress your plants with 18 hours of light??? Doesn't make sense to me when most of the plants processes shut down after about 14 hours of direct light. Matter of fact the plant is done with potassium after the first few hours of the day, and many other processes follow trend. In most of the globe, for millions of years, plants never vegged under more than 14-15 hours of daylight at peak summer sunlight, so I have no clue why the last 30 years of indoor growing, how all of a sudden this amount of peak sunlight went up to 18 hours... doesn't make sense to me and so far I have yet to see any factual evidence with controlled studies that proves otherwise. I would use the GLR with no fear my friend, this has been proven though scientific studies to work... you will be very happy you did, and so will your pocketbook.

Hey everyone, not much to report on since the ladies don't need to be fed yet but I did take some updated photos.

I was impressed with how much co2 was produced by the TNB naturals product, it takes about 10 hours to start producing co2 after you fill the bottle with water, and your supposed to shake it 1x per day. I covered the hole in the lid, shook it, and when I removed my thumb, a lot of co2 came shooting out, so I have a good feeling these babies are for real :)

I noticed that my leaves are starting to shimmer a little more each day with that high brix shine so hopefully in the next week I can maybe get some brix readings to see where I'm starting from :)

Other than shaking the CO2 bottle I gave a very light misting to the girls of just R/O water today and a very quick misting of the foliar mix I had mixed up the other day.

Here's the photo's
Full Tent Views
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/IMG_20121026_000004.jpg[/img
[img]https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/IMG_20121026_000012.jpg
IMG_20121026_000101.jpg

Blue Dream
IMG_20121026_000018.jpg

IMG_20121026_000025.jpg

Pre 98 Bubba
IMG_20121026_000031.jpg

IMG_20121026_000038.jpg

Skywalker OG