In The Lab

Re: "In the Lab" with Doc Bud

Hey Docbud, I was just wondering what type of ac do you use?
I am changing grow locations and setting up in a 3wx6Lx7h space. I will most likely be using around 1000 watts of air-cooled hid with sufficient venting. Any suggestions on size and brands.

Hey Docbud, I was just wondering what type of ac do you use?
I am changing grow locations and setting up in a 3wx6Lx7h space. I will most likely be using around 1000 watts of air-cooled hid with sufficient venting. Any suggestions on size and brands.

For a small space like that a window mount is more than adequate. I have 4 1000's in my flower room and 12,000 BTU window mount does the job just fine.

I've also got a minisplit in the new veg room. Overkill! But very nice.

Get the AC that looks like it might work, and then buy a bigger one.

Transplanting

Vegged plants Should have roots to the point where no dirt falls out when you pop out the root ball. To accomplish this, please see a few posts up on Watering Technique for Vegetative Growth.

So, Here's the root ball.
IMG_35603.jpg

Steps
1.)Fill final pot with soil
2.)Dig a hole large enough to accommodate the root ball.
3.)Sprinkle "Root Zone" (in the kit) into the hole
IMG_3558.jpg

4.)Score the roots. See pic below.
IMG_35611.jpg

5.)Plant it, push soil in from sides, compact by hand.
IMG_3562.jpg
IMG_35632.jpg

6.)Water it in with 1 pint of transplant water. Soil can be pre-wetted so the transplant water isn't washed away with furher waterings.

The procedure is very similar with clones, just on a smaller scale.

Speaking of clones, Here's what high brix clones look like. Very green and healthy, rapid rooting and growth. These were taken 6-10 days prior.
IMG_35682.jpg
IMG_35674.jpg
IMG_3573.jpg
IMG_35711.jpg
IMG_35742.jpg

One of the things I like to do for small clones is nip off the roots and let them continue in the dome till they're a bit larger. They veg much better that way.

IMG_35785.jpg
IMG_35791.jpg

When I take a fresh clone, I cut it back pretty far, leaving just the apical meristem, one fan leaf and stalk. By the time they root, they have fresh new growth, usually in about a week for faster strains, 12 days for slow ones. They don't seem to skip a beat as far as growth goes. I believe this is due to spraying them with "Stress" which has natural PGR's and trace minerals, along with active biology.
IMG_35651.jpg

IMG_35641.jpg

2 weeks later, the transplanted clones should look like this:
IMG_35862.jpg
IMG_35853.jpg

Nice pics Doc, got the soil cooking. Happy Holidays

Good man!

Just follow the instructions. You've got more than an ounce of "Transplant," enough to do the intial seedling/clone AND enough for the veg to bloom transplant. The first time you mix it up, us half an ounce in half a gallon of water. That's 4 pints right there, which can stretch enough to do 6 small pots. Next time, use the rest and you'll have enough to do 8 plants, or 6 larger pots with a bit more than a pint.

The important thing is the synergy between the "Root Zone" and the transplant. They are designed to work together to colonize roots ASAP.

Also, when you do your sprays, mix up half a batch (16oz). You'll probably get two sprayings from that while in veg, AND have enough for the clone dome.

great instructional journal Doc.

Question on starting direct into the 5 gal pots I have been using lately. I have either sowed direct into the 5 gals, or transplant few day old seedlings in to them. That's just the way it has to be some time if no separate veg room is available. The room serves dual purpose.

They seem to be healthy and all that. Started right under the Digital + 600w.

Any way, is their any real disadvantage to me using the larger pots from the get go?

And do I just mix the Root Zone in the top few inches of dirt if I do seed direct in the soil of a big pot?

great instructional journal Doc.

Question on starting direct into the 5 gal pots I have been using lately. I have either sowed direct into the 5 gals, or transplant few day old seedlings in to them. That's just the way it has to be some time if no separate veg room is available. The room serves dual purpose.

They seem to be healthy and all that. Started right under the Digital + 600w.

Any way, is their any real disadvantage to me using the larger pots from the get go?

And do I just mix the Root Zone in the top few inches of dirt if I do seed direct in the soil of a big pot?

For a seed, you only need 1 tablespoon of rootzone in the divit where you plant the seed. If you were going to germinate in the final container, I'd hold back 1 tablespoon of Root Zone for each seedling, and mix the rest into the center of the container, just below where the seed will be planted.

Starting in large pots is a disadvantage. It need not be a large disadvantage, but it could be, depending on the medium and your watering technique. Large pots have larger perched water tables, which means a small plant need only sink a few roots into it and it will have enough water and nutrition for vegetative growth. But the roots will be "lazy" because they need not seek out moisture.....it's all right there and plentiful.

In a small container, the perched water table is the same depth as in the large pot, but the volume of water is far less, especially in tapered containers. The roots are encouraged to branch out everywhere in order to find moisture.

So, you're always better off starting in smaller containers if you can. If not, I'd consider installing a wick. I used them all the time in 3 gallon pots. They're very simple, just a piece of poly stuck 4 inches up the bottom of the pot and sticking a few inches below the bottom. It will drain the perched water table and greatly aid the plant's root system.

Hey doc had a couple of questions for you. I have my soil cooking for my kit right now but in the mean time I was wondering if there were anything you would recommend for the rest of my garden to bring the brix up on it. For instance would the stress foliar spray be good for any plant that was showing stress and you knew you were not over fertilizing. Also would the Brix spray bring the brix up on flowering plants that were not in the kit? Are there any other products you would recommend that would be of help to people doing amended soils to bring their brix up and keep their plants healthy.

Hey doc had a couple of questions for you. I have my soil cooking for my kit right now but in the mean time I was wondering if there were anything you would recommend for the rest of my garden to bring the brix up on it. For instance would the stress foliar spray be good for any plant that was showing stress and you knew you were not over fertilizing. Also would the Brix spray bring the brix up on flowering plants that were not in the kit? Are there any other products you would recommend that would be of help to people doing amended soils to bring their brix up and keep their plants healthy.

How to increase brix:

1.)mineralize the soil. top dress the 6-5-3 rock powders.
2.)increase soil biology with a good tea
3.)keep potassium levels down! IE don't feed anything with potassium over "1," IE 5-7-1 on NPK.
4.)keep cal/mag ratio at 7-10/1. This is best accomplished by getting calcium into the soil.

Foliar sprays work by feeding microbes at the roots, NOT by getting NPK to the leaves. If your soil is mineralized and the biota is happy and active, the foliar sprays MIGHT help, but make sure you're using the right ones.

In homemade, non-tested soil, the only sprays I'd use would be Amaze, PGR and Bloomit.

In purpose built, high brix soil, the sprays are more customized and I wouldn't waste them. They may not deliver any noticeable difference, depending on the soil.

But in the right soil, the sprays work like magic!!! I thought I was getting good results when I was doing 6-5-3 with regular potting soil. My first true high brix crop was an order of magnitude better! The sprays worked much better, the plants were healthier, resin was better, bud structure superb.....better in every way.

All this info can be found on my older journals. This journal is mainly for the kit.

Bottom line:

There isn't any debate over soil composition. We're not all searching for what works....we KNOW what works. The soil ratios must be just so.....no wiggle room.

The only debate is how to arrive at those ratios.

hey doc i believe ive finally came up with the money for your kit. how exactly do i pm u. im sorry even though im young computer things were never my strong suit. and also i have started doing scroggs and love the yield i get. will growing with high brix allow me to keep scrogging? sorry if its a lame question

hey doc i believe ive finally came up with the money for your kit. how exactly do i pm u. im sorry even though im young computer things were never my strong suit. and also i have started doing scroggs and love the yield i get. will growing with high brix allow me to keep scrogging? sorry if its a lame question

Not a lame question bro!

You can SCROG high brix'n all day long. No problem.

You can PM me by clicking on my profile or using the PM icon in the lower right of a forum post.

Back
Top Bottom