In The Lab

Doc,
I just received my kit and picked up the ProMix HP and EWC. I've read and re-read the instructions in this thread. A couple of questions:
1. I didn't measure the included amendment but it appears to be more than a cup. I read on a previous post of yours that you add a cup of amendment to 60lbs of ProMix and 40lbs of EWC but the instructions say to "add the amendment". This is a long way around to ask if the amount of amendment included in the kit is 1 cup?
2. The amounts of fluid used in the drenches and sprays are very small. Any suggestions on tools used to accurately measure these small amounts? a 1/4 oz of anything is tough to get correct and if growing less than 6 plants it makes it even tougher. Suggestions appreciated.
3. Down the road when the grow is finished, do you just empty the used soil into another container, amend and cook again or can it be used again right away?
Thanks, Doc.

Doc,
I just received my kit and picked up the ProMix HP and EWC. I've read and re-read the instructions in this thread. A couple of questions:
1. I didn't measure the included amendment but it appears to be more than a cup. I read on a previous post of yours that you add a cup of amendment to 60lbs of ProMix and 40lbs of EWC but the instructions say to "add the amendment". This is a long way around to ask if the amount of amendment included in the kit is 1 cup?
2. The amounts of fluid used in the drenches and sprays are very small. Any suggestions on tools used to accurately measure these small amounts? a 1/4 oz of anything is tough to get correct and if growing less than 6 plants it makes it even tougher. Suggestions appreciated.
3. Down the road when the grow is finished, do you just empty the used soil into another container, amend and cook again or can it be used again right away?
Thanks, Doc.

Just to help DOC out a bit and give my experience....

1. not sure gonna have to let DOC answer

2. I use 8-10ml drench and 3ml tea per gallon of water. in bloom when adding the extra transplant I use about 1ml extra transplant per plant being fed.

3. some have used the soil right away, but for best results put old soil in a bin, add admendment, EWC and some leaves and roots from last harvest and let cook for another 30 days minimum.

:peace:

I use a simple cheap kit I got from a big-box drug store chain. It included a dropper and a 10ml graduated vial. I use the dropper for Tea and only Tea - it cross-contaminates easily. :cheesygrinsmiley: The 10 ml vial is perfect for drenches and foliars.

:thumb:

Doc,
Thanks, Doc.

The amendment is 1 cup dry measure.....and it's the right amount for a bale of Promix, etc. You've got the right amount....dump it all in.

Measuring drenches need not be exact science. I suggest a graduated shot glass, but droppers and all that work too. I've been doing it so long I pour straight from the bottle into the bucket. I know what a 1oz "plop" sounds like, etc.

The advice everyone else gave is great advice!

Someone mentioned growing in the tub we cook our soil in; doc, what do you think about no-till and is there anyway to implement that system while using the kit?? I've read that no-till systems have incredible hyphae webs that are destroyed when mixing up the soil. I also read about tilling the top 2 inches of soil regularly...shit I can't remember why or the benefits, but certainly interesting.

Someone mentioned growing in the tub we cook our soil in; doc, what do you think about no-till and is there anyway to implement that system while using the kit?? I've read that no-till systems have incredible hyphae webs that are destroyed when mixing up the soil. I also read about tilling the top 2 inches of soil regularly...shit I can't remember why or the benefits, but certainly interesting.

I think what you're describing is the way forward. Beds, indoors and out. It's a fantastic idea.

This is kinda how I started cooking the leaf from veg into that plants pot. That bottom layer of soil has some good webbing in it to begin with. I dont mix or break that stuff up, well at least I try not to. I've liked what I have seen by doing that. My current plant's pot had a ton of leaf in it before I transplanted it. So did the previous one. They seem to dig right in, in under 10 days too.

This is kinda how I started cooking the leaf from veg into that plants pot. That bottom layer of soil has some good webbing in it to begin with. I dont mix or break that stuff up, well at least I try not to. I've liked what I have seen by doing that. My current plant's pot had a ton of leaf in it before I transplanted it. So did the previous one. They seem to dig right in, in under 10 days too.

Breaking up the mycorhyzae when potting up plants isn't too big a problem, because we can recolonize everything pretty quick, as evidenced by how fast the leaves digest. That's about how long it takes for the roots to "take off." Adding the leaf and root material from previous grows and pruning is a great way to increaese humus content in the soil....which out plants like and indoor plants in general.

Curso pretty much led the way on the soil recycling and I'm following him for the most part.

I have noticed that my "rescue" soil is starting to clump and stick to my hands slightly....which is probably a result of using too much of the new Roots! product. I'm thinking about going back to the old formula FOR SOIL COOKING ONLY.

As for raised beds, I've been looking at horse/livestock watering tanks for this job.

Chiming in on the leaf recycling;

Not a brix grow this time, but I am using 3x used supersoil that has been cooking outside in my shed all summer through my last brix grow and fed trim leaf on a regular basis. added some mineral mix, topped off with some fresh soil and currently producing amazing results.
also it has been under LEDs for the past 4 weeks

This is what it's producing. (Kanabbia - Original Berry)
G20_BB_wk4_flwr_1s.jpg

note the explosion in the size of the stalk after trasnplant.
G20_BB_wk4_flwr_1stem.jpg

OK High Brix growers, my first batch of soil is cooking while my current grow finishes. while browsing the high brix journals I'm pretty sure I saw where hybrids may not be the best choice to grow in high brix soil....true or not I don't know. So my question is what strain should I start with? My current inventory of beans are: Barney's G13 Haze, Green House Seeds Super Lemon Haze, Dutch Passion Blueberry, DNA Genetics Chocolope. Freebies include: Sleestack Skunk, OG Kush, Amnesia Haze. I plan on doing 4 plants 2 strains. Suggestions welcomed.

OK High Brix growers, my first batch of soil is cooking while my current grow finishes. while browsing the high brix journals I'm pretty sure I saw where hybrids may not be the best choice to grow in high brix soil....true or not I don't know. So my question is what strain should I start with? My current inventory of beans are: Barney's G13 Haze, Green House Seeds Super Lemon Haze, Dutch Passion Blueberry, DNA Genetics Chocolope. Freebies include: Sleestack Skunk, OG Kush, Amnesia Haze. I plan on doing 4 plants 2 strains. Suggestions welcomed.

Those all sound like they'll do just fine! I don't see much OG except for that freebie. Super lemon haze would be absolutely delicious HB!

No. I've got a sativa and kush strain running in hb right now and they're both doing well. Interestingly enough, the kush is starting to really jump and probably grew 3 inches in the last 2 days. I was scrolling down to post the same as Tavo though. SLH and OG are what I'd like to see...and smoke.

:cool:

Thanks for the input. I'm glad super lemon haze would be good because that is one of my all time favorites. Are there really any strains HB growers stay away from?

not stay away from but stuff that likes heavy ferts are not a awesome right now, i believe Doc has something for that but it needs to be tested first.

Back
Top Bottom