Indoor Grow July 2009 : AustralianQ1 CaliGDP CaliSSH CaliOrange DutchWidowSkunk

DGMGH, these new plants are looking really good. I look forward to their growth in your pics. I wish I had access to some good strains, but everything around here is all bagseed. nothing name brand. I may have to contact some old friends in California and see if they can get some good strain seeds and send them to me discreetly.

:smokin: :peace:

DAY 26

Hi everyone,

Latest group shot in the grow room. Have decided to switch to 12/12 a week earlier than expected and will be doing so as of Sunday. Really impressive growth this grow, however growing so many different strains requires a lot of vigilance as they all require different nutrient strengths, PH, etc.

Day_26.JPG

Day_26_1.JPG

Day_26_2.JPG

Looking good for sure. I see one thing about the light you have there, your going the right route with hps, yet you can see in the last pic the "brighter" area of your canopy. Those outside plants don't get as much light. With those big pots eating up a lot of room your plants are loosing out a lil.

IMO 400/600 watt would be much better

G'day DeadTour09,

Thanks for the comments most appreciated. On Sunday I introduce another 400Watts so my combined total will be 1000W as I have the 600W going now.

As I am growing all of these from seed this time, I am not sure who is male or female yet, so when I find out I move them out of the way then get the females closer to the light.

In the clone cupboard I have some Bubblegum and some special seeds I got off a very close friend of mine and they are all waiting to see who is male or not.

The WidowSkunk I have as a single plant but I also have 2 in the 1 pot to encourage a male as I like to breed and cross. Part of the fun!! Of these 2, they are both starting to show male signs already but I am going to let them go a bit longer as I have never grown this before and it may just be a sexual abberation. The WS is definetly a shorter growing plant and it I think would be an ideal cupboard or grow cabinet plant.

See ya

DG,

Here's to hoping you have many females in the batch. :) I would like to hear what different Nutes and ph you use for the various strains. Most of the information posted here lists one pH range for growing in Soil and a different one for growing in hydro. I definitely am planning to be more detailed in choosing my soil medium for my next grow and begin using nutes starting when they are 2 weeks old. So I would love to hear what Nutes and strenghts you are using on the different strains.

:peace: :smokin:

Hey DGM!
Nice lookin plants man!
that Q1 is lookin killer!!

nice the WS is takin on the the indica aspect, oooooo it's gonna be stinky-dank'kah indoors i bet!! :p

DG,

Here's to hoping you have many females in the batch. :) I would like to hear what different Nutes and ph you use for the various strains. Most of the information posted here lists one pH range for growing in Soil and a different one for growing in hydro. I definitely am planning to be more detailed in choosing my soil medium for my next grow and begin using nutes starting when they are 2 weeks old. So I would love to hear what Nutes and strenghts you are using on the different strains.

:peace: :smokin:

G'day Wolfie,

As for the growing of various different plants and varieties, it is becoming a bit of a nightmare to get it right for all of them at the moment! Every variety is starting to show different nutrient requirements and PH.
In an effort to see what works best, I started them all off on the same Organic tea solution I make myself from composted waste, the Q1 is used to this and powers along nicely and run the PH at 6.8.
The Californians seem to like a bit more Nitrogen and the PH to be lowered to 6.3 and the CaliOrange in particular seems to be a bit hungry for magnesium. The WidowSkunk is the biggest headache for me at the moment as I lowered the PH to 6.3 and then increased the nitrogen but as it appears to be a really Indica strong pheno (you are so right Fattis-Rattis) I am getting used to growing it, as everyone else is showing the hybridisation that I am used to showing.

Thanks in particular for the advice on the grow must be given to Canbismxmus for the heads up on the PH and the medium being used appearing like it will suck more nitrogen. :thanks:

Day 28

This is the last day of 18/6 for the family. I have been up to the Hydro Store and they were supposed to have my custom Adjusta-shade ready but it didnt arrive yesterday! Have been advised it will be there tomorrow, so I am going to be a day later in switching to 1000Watts.

WidowSkunk is already starting to show pre sexing, the GDP is as well.
Am seeing small pollen sacks emerging but am not pulling them out as this happens to the Q1 and it doesnt mean that the plants are male by a long shot. In fact, feminised seeds do this quite often, all I do is knock them off the plant or keep 1 or 2 and collect the pollen for breeding.

On a side note, the guy at the hydro store was SO stoned he could barely keep his eyes open when he was talking to me!! It was so funny!

Day_28_1.JPG

Day_28.JPG

Day 30

Was bound to happen, but the 3 WidowSkunk plants I have growing have all turned out to be Male! Not the ideal situation, but I have taken the tips of each and done a quick smoke to see which 1 is the strongest as at 29 days. I will be using the pollen to cross into the CaliOrange as it is a very Sativa dominant pheno, and it may turn out to be a very interesting hybrid. The plants are outside and still growing, just not in the grow room. Have replaced the single WS with a Bubblegum clone so it's all good!!

Now lets just hope the CaliOrange is female..................

Day 30

Was bound to happen, but the 3 WidowSkunk plants I have growing have all turned out to be Male! Not the ideal situation, but I have taken the tips of each and done a quick smoke to see which 1 is the strongest as at 29 days. I will be using the pollen to cross into the CaliOrange as it is a very Sativa dominant pheno, and it may turn out to be a very interesting hybrid. The plants are outside and still growing, just not in the grow room. Have replaced the single WS with a Bubblegum clone so it's all good!!

Now lets just hope the CaliOrange is female..................

Hey DGMGH!

I'm onboard for this show!

Thanks for the tip on sampling the males in order to select the best one. That will come in handy in the future.

Also................

"The WidowSkunk I have as a single plant but I also have 2 in the 1 pot to encourage a male as I like to breed and cross."

So you've noted that having more than one plant in the same container encourages males? That would also come in very handy for my future grows.

regards,

SS

SS,

As a general rule, I try to plant 2 in 1 pot, as it should encourage a male and female as both plants rootballs and feremones are together. This time it didnt work but out of the last say 10 times I have done this, it has, so I will keep doing it to a variety that I would like to get pollen from and then cross as part of the breeding programme.

Smoking the male tips is a good indicator of potency, but I also like to check other signs such as general growth and vigour, nutrient uptake, speed of the growth, etc. So these have to be taken into account as well for the direction you are looking to get to with the breeding.

I have bred into a strain a characteristic from a male that didnt show great potency, but had really great vigour and colour, so it just depends again on what you are looking to utilise.

Theres a really great book out there called "the Cannabis Breeders Bible" you can get it on amazon or any other big book store. Borders has it, but Barnes and Noble wont (because they dont carry anything about MJ)
Really a great book to check out. It gets a little technical at times but if you get through it you wi;ll be rewarded with some excellent knowledge. Looking great DGMGH!!!

GreenIsland,

You're half right, the breederes bible rocks, tons of great info, Barnes&Noble does sell mj books though, that's where I got mine.

DGMGH,

The seedlings are looking fantastic! They love that light, my seeds were right there with yours, but mine are outdoors, so they are not developing as quickly. One thing the breeders bible mentions about seedling sex, is that environmental stress tends to produce more males. I've topped seedlings before they showed sex, and 4 out of 5 turned into males, not the desired affect by any means. Iratic photo period, and large temperature swings are also significant stress factors. Not that you are, or have done, any of the forementioned, just noteable info. Things are looking great, I'll excited to see the flowering cycle! Keep up the good work.

hmmm, the three Barnes and Noble stores we have here dont have any MJ books, and when asked about it they said they dont carry them. It could have something to do with the individual owners of the stores, but the three around me dont carry them. Its sad but Im pretty sure I remember them saying that those books had like a ten times more likelyhood of being stolen,... and so they dont carry them at all because they only lost money on them (MJ books) as apposed to making money. And I could totally see that too. Thats awesome you still have MJ books at your barnes and Nobles, here its just not available.

Closeup of early sexing Day 31

Cali Grand Daddy Purple

Closeup_GDP_1_day_31.JPG

Cali Super Sliver Haze

Closeup_CASSH_1_day_31.JPG

By the looks of it, these 2 may be male, but it is still to early to be truly sure.

Back
Top Bottom