InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Good morning Shed I use a potato ricer to give the cheese cloth a good squeezing.
1601994275236.png

Wake and Bake, North America, from the East Coast!
:ciao:
Morning Shed, still in Trim Jail, 5 plants down and 6 more to go. I was hoping for a more spread out harvest, but the majority have come into their harvest window within a week of each other.
I'll be over to your thread today...I want to see all the action!
Good morning Shed I use a potato ricer to give the cheese cloth a good squeezing.
Thanks smokey! I had one of those and completely bent it trying to get the oil out! And it relies on grip strength and the hand size, which I found limited its usefulness.

Even speed clamps rely on grip strength. The advantage to C-clamps or a vice is the leverage they provide, allowing you to get enough pressure to crush the wood if you kept going.

:ciao:

I'll be over to your thread today...I want to see all the action!

Thanks smokey! I had one of those and completely bent it trying to get the oil out! And it relies on grip strength and the hand size, which I found limited its usefulness.

Even speed clamps rely on grip strength. The advantage to C-clamps or a vice is the leverage they provide, allowing you to get enough pressure to crush the wood if you kept going.
The older I get , my grip strength progressively weakens. Wonder why ? :cool:

Even speed clamps rely on grip strength. The advantage to C-clamps or a vice is the leverage they provide, allowing you to get enough pressure to crush the wood if you kept going
Ya I have bent a few of them but so far the best technique I have come up with. I would like to get something like this but not sure I want to spend that much.

Felonious and I bought a rosin press at the end of last year. We haven't made any rosin yet but it's perfect for getting all (or most of) the oil back out of the meds.

Before that, I was just using a metal strainer but was also considering a fruit press or French press.

You wanna grow some Crop King Hash Plant and make oil if you don't mind becoming very stupid for periods of time. With a couple spoonfuls of mine I don't have the desire to even breathe. Excellent to put you to sleep. I wouldn't know how to calculate the potency though.
:cough:
I have heard good things about that strain. Especially for squishing. I will definitely be growing some of that out in the future

I thought I would post the physical results of the oil making process from the last 3 days for the Tuesday update.

As I mentioned before, I took 30g of decarbed and ground Candida and added 8 ounce of grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil works as a topical as well as internally if you are ever looking for a 2-in-1 oil. @Derbybud has great success with it. I'll be testing this as a pain topical oil and it's estimated around 15mg/ml CBD.

I also took 35g of decarbed and ground Berry Bomb and added 10 ounces of unrefined cold-pressed coconut oil (solid at room temp). Coconut oil is good for getting you high faster as it is metabolized first pass by the liver, and straight to the brain! Obviously, this one will be going into capsules, and it's estimated around 9.5mg/ml THC.

When making small batches of oil (less than the 2-cup min for the MB machine), I use jars in the oven.

Pics of the oil in the jars were in yesterday's post.

I cover the jar with tin foil and screw on the outer ring of the lid to hold it tight. Then I put a small hole in the foil to equalize the pressure as it heats:
full

I put the oven at 170ºF (which is the lowest it will go), and try to remember to shake the jar at least every hour - if not more often. Here is what it looks like in case you can't picture it:

full

I had my jars in the oven for 8 hours on Saturday, 8 hours on Sunday, in the fridge overnight, and 8 hours yesterday. Then it was time to strain the mash.

I put cheesecloth over a measuring cup and secure it with a rubber band, which is not an easy process:
20170918_075129.jpg

Then I squeeze out what I can by hand, trying not to burn myself. But hand strength only goes so far and it leaves a lot of oil left in the mash. So this time, and not having a vice, I decided to make a squeezer from a couple of 1x4s and some C-clamps:

A few turns of one, a few turns of the other, and soon the oil started flowing out from the bottom of the cheesecloth. Here is a pic of the CBD oil before and after the use of the press:

That's a 64 ounce measuring cup so it doesn't have fine markings that low, but I'd say it's just under two ounces, which is a large percentage of my 8 ounce start. In the end I got back about 5.5 ounces.

For the Berry Bomb oil I got back about 7.75 ounces out of 10, and then I mixed in just under a tablespoon of liquid sunflower lecithin (LSL). I left it on the counter overnight, figuring the LSL could do a better job as an emulsifier if the oil didn't solidify as quickly. When I got up this morning, it hadn't solidified at all, as coconut oil should at room temps:

Which means that either the infusion process itself or the LSL lowers the temperature at which it becomes solid again. That might explain why my salve needs more beeswax than I thought to make it stable at room temps. I think it took 100 grams/cup total when I remixed it last time.

I hope this explanation of the oil-in-the-oven making process is helpful and not a complete waste of bandwidth! I'll report back with the effect of the oils as I get them.

:thanks: for following along.

had one of those and completely bent it trying to get the oil out! And it relies on grip strength and the hand size, which I found limited its usefulness.
exactly that! And that!

I love the C clamps rig! That poses the same problem for me unfortunately. I gave my vintage c-clamps away as I Can’t manipulate them successfully anymore!

French press.
awesome idea! I’m going to look into that :)

edit: I searched for French press a got a million coffee plungers. I thought it was something different... :hmmmm:

Thanks for the oil making post Shed! A couple of questions if you don’t mind?

1 - what is the ideal lowest temperature if your oven will go lower than 170?
2 - does the mash have to be strained while it’s super hot or can you wait until it’s a little more manageable?
3 - do you think that using an immersion blender on the oil might help it strain a little easier or just make a big mess?
4 - do you use the squished mash for other recipes or do you trash/compost it?

Thank you! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for the oil making post Shed! A couple of questions if you don’t mind?

1 - what is the ideal lowest temperature if your oven will go lower than 170?
2 - does the mash have to be strained while it’s super hot or can you wait until it’s a little more manageable?
3 - do you think that using an immersion blender on the oil might help it strain a little easier or just make a big mess?
4 - do you use the squished mash for other recipes or do you trash/compost it?
Thank you!
1. The MB machine operates at 160ºF, so if you can get to that, do.
2. More manageable is fine, but if you're dissolving LSL in it, warmer is better.
3. I'm not sure how one of those would help with the straining. Don't they just mix things up in a pot?
4. If you don't mind the texture, there is THC/CBD left in the mash (and some oil), so it can definitely be used elsewhere. SweetSue used to bake her THC mash into brownies for an added kick to the canna-butter she used for the batter. I usually dry it out and put it in the salve bin (of course!), but this time I just tossed it as the boxes are overflowing already.

1. The MB machine operates at 160ºF, so if you can get to that, do.
2. More manageable is fine, but if you're dissolving LSL in it, warmer is better.
3. I'm not sure how one of those would help with the straining. Don't they just mix things up in a pot?
4. If you don't mind the texture, there is THC/CBD left in the mash (and some oil), so it can definitely be used elsewhere. SweetSue used to bake her THC mash into brownies for an added kick to the canna-butter she used for the batter. I usually dry it out and put it in the salve bin (of course!), but this time I just tossed it as the boxes are overflowing already.
Thank you! An immersion blender shreds everything in the liquid. I use one to make whole grain mustard after soaking the seeds for 24 hours and also for blending cooked vegetables for soups, etc. I’ve heard that the MB machine has an immersion-like blade in it so I was curious why And thought maybe it was helpful to grind all that stuff up right before you strain it. LSL is Linseed something? :thanks:

Thank you! An immersion blender shreds everything in the liquid. I use one to make whole grain mustard after soaking the seeds for 24 hours and also for blending cooked vegetables for soups, etc. I’ve heard that the MB machine has an immersion-like blade in it so I was curious why And thought maybe it was helpful to grind all that stuff up right before you strain it.
The bud is ground after it's decarbed, or there would be no way to get 8 ounces of oil to cover 30g of flower!
LSL is Linseed something?

I mixed in just under a tablespoon of liquid sunflower lecithin (LSL).
:cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom