InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Of course you can mix RSO into olive oil. It's done all the time by folks who make QWET.
You just approach a point where you have cannabis oil cut with evoo (or your fat of choice) instead of the other way around.
Cannabis oil as in RSO? We've been talking about infusing flower into oil. You're not infusing if you have already stripped the THC (RSO) and are just dissolving it in a carrier oil for dilution purposes.

I actually don't know what you mean. I wasn't being sarcastic! I don't know what you mean by "pooling like solvents" either. :hmmmm:

The discussion we were having had nothing to do with cannabis oil, so the RSO thing isn't applicable. Like I said, that's dilution not infusion.

We were wondering how many times you could infuse the same x type of oil with new bud before the oil would refuse to take up any new cannabinoids. Other discussions I've read on the topic seem to revolve around the difference between short, medium, and long chain triglycerides, which is well beyond my pay grade.

Okay, in that case let me clarify what I said earlier. There should not be a limit to infusing oil with flower so long as you introduce water into process. By taking advantage of the hydrophobic nature of cannabinoids you can pool them into the oil. Yes, eventually you probably would create a third layer (Water, oil mixed with cannabinoids, and straight cannabinoids(RSO)) if you go on Infusing more bud and more bud. But we use LSL, which forces those oil layers (and the water layer actually, if you’re not careful) together.

what I said about precise infusion increasing total volume of oils, I just mean if you could Infuse at the perfect temperature so that your efficiency approaches 100%, you’d most likely find you’ve added to the total volume of your non-polar solvents (oils).

Wait now you’ve got me thinking. Is RSO just using crude cannabis oil as the solvent to carry the THC (and other cannabinoids)? In which case, you’re not actually just adding THC but some amount of crude oil to your carrier oil... I think I understand now why there’s no limit.

In conclusion; the saturation point of a carrier oil cannot be tested by straight plant extract but isolate alone. If your infusion is turning green then it’s picking up crude oil from the plant material and increasing total volume of carrier oil, not just cannabinoids.

This conversation is over my head. lol! I love food though :D

what's good intheshed! wait which shed am i referring too? :morenutes:

Though, I do see the mistake I made in my initial post. I used RSO synonymously with THC. THC being transferred from plant material to carrier oil is not the same as adding RSO to carrier oil because RSO is carrier oil. What I said made the assumption that RSO is pure THC.

I really hope someone else makes sense of what I mean :laugh:

You can, Kirby. It's great for them. The only coveat is to watch for a cal/mag deficiency. Happy Smokin'

I found this article on the Ardent website that says this:

Is “Infusion Boosting” possible?

Many of you have asked, and we finally have the lab results to answer! After decarb and infusion in the Nova or FX, can the infused oil be re-infused again with additional decarbed plant material to make it more potent? The short answer is YES. This is thanks to “infusion boosting.

We decarboxylated a gram of material in the Ardent FX and infused it into an ounce of canola oil. The final product yielded 89mg of CBD in our infusion. We then added another gram of FX decarboxylated plant material into the oil after the first infusion, ran another infusion cycle and strained the oil, which yielded 170 mg of CBD in the final product. An excellent infusion rate, nearly doubling the amount of CBD with very little loss (only about 8mg).

Next, we decided to test the limits of our infusion. For efficiency purposes, how much flower could we pack into an ounce of canola oil? We infused 3 grams of decarboxylated material into one ounce of canola oil, and yielded 283 mg of CBD in our infusion. When we re-infused another 3 grams into the pre-infused oil, we yielded a total of 532 mg CBD in our infusion. Here again, with infusion boosting we nearly doubled the amount of CBD and other cannabinoids, but with so much flower packed into the oil, and twice, you can see there was a bit more loss in the second experiment.

They include lab results in the article, so if you're interested, do a google search for "infusion boosting" on the Ardent website. I don't want to post a direct link here for obvious reasons.

I re-measured them so @BeezLuiz can have something to enter on his spreadsheet. :)
Thanks, Shed! I always love to play with data. :yahoo: How's this?
Sheds Growth.jpg

Do you enjoy smoothies or a salad with vinaigrette? It can also be used as a finishing oil in pastas and added to a plethora of foods at the end of cooking, provided the temps aren't too high.

Thanks, VG.

I do like smoothies and salads but tend to have them more when the weather is hot. I could maybe figure out how add oil into a soup, stew or casserole recipe instead. My biggest problem is getting the correct dose per servings. Since I need such strong infusions, I sometimes get more fat in my diet than I would like. I had planned on adding dry, ground and decarbed bud (dust) in my last casserole but I decided that dosing might not be consistent and therefore, didn't even try it.

Is RSO just using crude cannabis oil as the solvent to carry the THC
What percentage THC is RSO? What's the rest made out of?
In which case, you’re not actually just adding THC but some amount of crude oil to your carrier oil.
Is THC oil actual oil or do we just call it that?
In conclusion; the saturation point of a carrier oil cannot be tested by straight plant extract but isolate alone.
We aren't looking for the saturation point of carrier oil using extract though. That's a different experiment.
what's good intheshed!
I did a bit of thinning this morning. Pics in a bit!
Hay guys I have a question.... Is it OK to water with rain water. I have it in my room for the plants I have in Coots mix. They have a Big barrel of it so if I can use it that would save Many trips to the store.
See this ↓. I know that Amy, Van, and Boo all use rainwater, and I bet Bode as well :).
You can, Kirby. It's great for them. The only coveat is to watch for a cal/mag deficiency. Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode!
I found this article on the Ardent website that says this:
They include lab results in the article, so if you're interested, do a google search for "infusion boosting" on the Ardent website. I don't want to post a direct link here for obvious reasons.
Thanks BL! I posted a link to one of Nova's studies on this yesterday and this is good info from people with access to a lab. :thumb:
Thanks, Shed! I always love to play with data. :yahoo: How's this?
Sheds Growth.jpg
Perfect, thanks! And it keeps you out of trouble too. Idle hands and all...
I sometimes get more fat in my diet than I would like. I had planned on adding dry, ground and decarbed bud (dust) in my last casserole
I'd say the fat you get from the capsules might be better than the amount of calories from food you would need to eat to get the same doses. Unless your casserole was 50% buds. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I knew it was gonna happen, but still....
Sorry BL! Between the winter two and the GA3 experiment and the aphids, I figured I really had no need for those mothers. The year of the sativas is almost over and there are more seeds in the fridge if I ever need to revisit those.

If my wife had the palate to say "I really like the x plant better than the Golden Tiger/Carnival/Fruit Punch/Chocolope/ Power Plant/Durban Poison/Colombian Gold," then I would have a real reason to keep one. But since they all get her high, why go through the effort of keeping them alive?

2021 I'll be back to sativa-leaning hybrids, so we'll find new strains for the new year!

More like clear cutting, Shed!
A bit... :)

Is THC oil actual oil or do we just call it that?
Afternoon Shed, THC at room temperature ranges between a thick resin to oily, depending on which form it is, ei D9, D11 etc....THCA on the other hand is a crystal at room temperature.

What percentage THC is RSO? What's the rest made out of?
Alcohols (ethanol or IPA) strip all the VOCs (Cannabinoids and Terpenes) as well as plant waxes (lipids). So any oil made this way, or tinctures, will contain any terpenes and other Cannabinoids with the THC, and unless winterized, the waxes will be in there as well.

This is why hash and oil made from the same plant will taste different but often have similar effects.
Hash only consists of the bulbous trichome heads, but there are other trichomes that contain terpenes not found in the bulbous heads. These terpenes get picked up by the solvent extractions.

Hope this helps :)

Afternoon Shed, THC at room temperature ranges between a thick resin to oily, depending on which form it is, ei D9, D11 etc....THCA on the other hand is a crystal at room temperature.
The results of QWET are THCa (since 178ºF will not break the acid bond) and are thick resin/oily. I thought crystal THCa was produced with pressure and increasing heat.
the waxes will be in there as well.
So the waxes would be what Chef is referring to as the oil in RSO?
This is why hash and oil made from the same plant will taste different but often have similar effects.
Interesting, thanks Celt!

Back
Top Bottom