Is This Your Homework Larry? Seedsman Skunk #1 In Soil

Yeah I really need to pull the trigger and order some. I just don’t know how long I can keep them alive.
What are your concerns regarding keeping them alive? Only way to kill them is 1) too hot (over 100F), 2) too cold (under 35F), no food (for over a month). Allocating space is always an issue, because the more volume you have the more vermicompost (VC) you will get. At the moment I am using my 1x winter box to keep some alive for Spring. The 40x VC boxes I made this summer are currently sitting in the freshly fallen snow and most likely the worms that populated them are now dead (after a few nights in the teens).

If you are in the US and want to start with worms, private message me and I'll send you some in the mail. All you need is a handful to start. They double their population every 6 weeks. I actually try to go slow (starting now) and then add another box about Feb so I have plenty to seed even more boxes in the Spring.

What are your concerns regarding keeping them alive? Only way to kill them is 1) too hot (over 100F), 2) too cold (under 35F), no food (for over a month). Allocating space is always an issue, because the more volume you have the more vermicompost (VC) you will get. At the moment I am using my 1x winter box to keep some alive for Spring. The 40x VC boxes I made this summer are currently sitting in the freshly fallen snow and most likely the worms that populated them are now dead (after a few nights in the teens).

If you are in the US and want to start with worms, private message me and I'll send you some in the mail. All you need is a handful to start. They double their population every 6 weeks. I actually try to go slow (starting now) and then add another box about Feb so I have plenty to seed even more boxes in the Spring.

Well I would probably just put them directly into my plant bins, 32 gallon bins, and try to keep them happy with my plants. I’m in Canada and have to order from my bug lady.

We will see how it goes.

If you want a handful let me know I've some redwigglers and have no idea how to use their poo.
Thanks Lowded. Appreciate the offer. I know I have a local worm farm and can probably make a connection. Build a relationship with someone I can get fresh worms or worm castings.

Ok, got a little creative and made this image, posted this in the advanced cannabis photography thread (link in my signature). *Note about the thread; it’s for sharing tips and tricks, not just posting sweet photos. Read the thread intro if you are interested

Thanks Lowded. Appreciate the offer. I know I have a local worm farm and can probably make a connection. Build a relationship with someone I can get fresh worms or worm castings.
Thats the ticket there!!

I had more plans to take some images of the bubba so I took out the buds. I realized that they are a bit too moist, around 80%. So I put them in a paper bag to air out while I took photos.

Got a few shots of the Bubba 76 indica leaner. It’s pretty, and stinks.

Here is a close up of the Gift of Fire F2 as well.

WOW those pictures
Following this one now too UrbanAchiever!
I’m kinda lost in all the soil talk but I read it all anyways, I’m happy to see Gaia green soil stuff though, makes me more confident in the soil I purchased.
Looking forward to watching this thread
Stu

Welcome Stu, glad you dig my photos, it’s the only gift I can give, my personality is like oatmeal with sand lol

My soil is still a long ways away from being truly balanced, so there is a lot for me to learn.

Cheers

WOW those pictures
Following this one now too UrbanAchiever!
I’m kinda lost in all the soil talk but I read it all anyways, I’m happy to see Gaia green soil stuff though, makes me more confident in the soil I purchased.
Looking forward to watching this thread
Stu

did you purchase their living soil mix? Thats what i am currently using, my grow store finally restocked!

Urb.. Man ... Those pics... Wow ....
:drool::drool::welldone::passitleft:

Welcome Stu, glad you dig my photos, it’s the only gift I can give, my personality is like oatmeal with sand lol

My soil is still a long ways away from being truly balanced, so there is a lot for me to learn.

Cheers

I sure do like them photos!
Lol oatmeal and sand, I dunno you seem pretty welcoming to me and a lot of people on here.

did you purchase their living soil mix? Thats what i am currently using, my grow store finally restocked!

Urb.. Man ... Those pics... Wow ....
:drool::drool::welldone::passitleft:

6991302D-3A52-45D9-9D4E-C1279CC43AC9.jpeg

That’s right Pjs420

Two minor developments.

1- I amended/top dressed my one bin with a bit of Neem Meal, kelp meal, dried horsetails, plenty of rock dusts, and diatomaceous earth. Covered that with a thin layer of soil and watered. Put the lid back on. This will chill for a few weeks while the seedlings grow.

2- I picked up a heated seed mat on the way to work. I will use this for the seedlings for now but my plan is to place this under each 32 gallon bin. The idea is to keep my roots and soil warm. Alleviating some of the potential issues I have with running such a low temperature grow. Might have to pick up another mat in order to have one under each bin.

My current temps are usually around 69F and 40rh. Temps get higher in veg when I shut the exhaust fan off.

I will add a bucket and wet towel to get the RH up a bit for veg.

I wasn’t quite satisfied with the first version of this photo. Didn’t do it justice. So I went back and actually found a better image in the series to use. I am happier with this.

Might as well mention I checked on the seedlings after work, we have 3 of 4 seeds broken through the soil of the peat puck, credit to the deeper planting as they are seed casing free. The two heroes of our quest, Skunk #1 and...well Skunk #1, are first above ground.

I will take photos in the morning.

Also set up that seedling mat. This may be a game changer when I put them under the soil bins.

Last round I got the soil and plants off the ground by putting them in the bins, which are sitting on plywood, on top of 2x4s. Getting them off the cool basement floor. I had bigger plants this round. Could have been the soil, or bigger container, or slightly warmer roots. At any rate making the cool root zone warm, will have benefits.

But that’s the Sativa talking

If you want a handful let me know I've some redwigglers and have no idea how to use their poo.

Just top dress and/or mix in with your soil and/or add a cup to a gallon or 2 of water and stir, let sit overnight stir and water in.

Very easy... if you have kelp meal add a 1/2 cup with the worm poop and do the same above.

Can add in some Malted Barley ground fine before watering.

Urb 30 gal totes with soil is good just gotta keep em warmer that say 50F. They will make cocoons and die back down below 50F. They will congregate in the middle of you soil if its cold and they will hibernate or freeze and die. The cocoons will hatch as soon as the temps warm up. I always have them and never do anything to grow them other than throw em some kitchen scraps. They prefer warm temps 60-80 is optimal. They will come back if they freeze (cocoons).

Back
Top Bottom