Jacksass Gives Northern Lights A Go

Jacksass

Hey all.
Going to try a grow in the middle of a Canadian winter.
Keeping a consistent temp is the only thing I'm going to be worried about as the weather is fluctuating 20 degrees a day.
Anyways I received some free northern lights auto seeds that I'm going to use as the test subjects . So if it goes sour I won't be to upset with the loss.
Be back a bit later to give more info.

Hey. What part of Canada are you from? I'm in Nova Scotia. I hear ya on the temperature fluctuating. Crazy temp swings. My grow tent is in a heated part of my basement so I don't seem to have too much of an issue with temp in the tent.

Let's get started with some info.
Tent is 5 by 3.
4 " intake.
5"exhaust.
Roughly 350 watts led.
Promix medium with extra perlite in 5 gal pots.

Nutrients ? Haven't decided which way to go.
The temp issue is this , my tent is in the same room as my Wood stove. It's the only place I have room for the tent. With the stove going the room itself gets to 30 to 35 degrees Celsius , so unfortunately I have to pull from the great outdoors.
So the seeds are now in paper towel , they cracked yesterday. I should be able to plant tomorrow.
If you need any more info feel free to ask any questions.

Sounds good Jack,
So what kind of LED fixture will you be running? Your grow space being 5x3 may suite a lengthways fixture best. Do you already have the fixture, or do you yet have to purchase it?
If you are pulling in cold air that potentially could be -20 degrees on a real bad day, perhaps you should find a way to diffuse this incoming air so it doesn't expel over one particular part of the tent and chill a plant or a pot.
Maybe a dampener kinda like how your woodstove works. It would control how much air is pulled from outdoors and indoors combined to help control the incoming temp? Food for thought.

hey I from Canada two and would like to sit in I bought a 4 inch duct inlet that I have my exhaust duct line attached to to blow my air outside of my house it had a damper built into it I removed it because I didn't need it but it works perfect for me it was only $10 at home depot

Thanks for your input guys.
I do have a vent on the inside of the tent that can be opened or closed for the intake. It will be an everyday thing watching temp and adjusting the vent.
For my lights I'm using 4 ft. T8s. There are 4 full spectrum bulbs and 4 bloom bulbs and 2 cheap 20 watt led for sidelight , which may work or not but they are there.

here is a pic of what I was explaining
Screenshot_20190124-123354_Chrome.jpg

Hey, going to sub up for this grow. Northern lights is always a nice strain to see grown out. I'm also in Canada, Saskatchewan actually and originally from Nova Scotia. Nice to meet you all!

Struggling with the winters up here can be hard, especially since you have a wood stove. Is there a cooler area in your basement or other part of the house you can draw cooler air from with ducting instead of outside? If it's anything like it is here this morning we were sitting at -31 feels like -40 so you wouldn't want to be bringing in air like that from outside. You will end up with a ton of frosty condensation all over the place and the air will just be way too cold, likely be an even worse situation.

If you're looking for a nice and easy nutrient line to start out with, I highly recommend the general hydroponics trio of the Flora series. Micro, grow, bloom. 2 additives that really help are rapid start for root production and armour si for silica, this will help strengthen branches and also help with stress related changes in the room. I run the whole line up except a couple of bottles, I haven't had any issues with it.

Cheers and best of luck, will be around to help out some of need be.

Congrats, now just to wait on them to break ground.

That really sucks, bad place for storage of that kinda stuff hey.

That's still going to be pretty hot for seedlings. 29 is certainly much better than 34 but still a tad high. Im sure it wouldn't effect them much but I would strive for 24-26 at least until they are a few weeks old. It can also be strain dependent, some strains do well with heat and others not so much.

Back
Top Bottom