Jon’s 3 Autoflower - 3 Pounds Attempt Grow

White Widow
Day 53

She’s beginning to make some noise too.

B4131BBC-8FCB-427B-A322-3BAA2C3FF3D0.jpeg

Not a fan of the shop vac to change the res. Worked fine til you have roots.
What is the issue with roots? Is it that you can't get a larger diameter hose down into the reservoir?

If that the case you could put a permanent piece of PVC pipe, say 3/4" down into the rez. Then when you want to drain it you could feed a smaller diameter hose down through it and use a syphon to pull the water.

That would be slower but they make the syphons for fish tanks to clean the gravel at the bottom. It's essentially a length of maybe 3/8" clear tubing with a one way bulb or valve in the middle that you squeeze a few times to get the water flowing.

What is the issue with roots? Is it that you can't get a larger diameter hose down into the reservoir?

If that the case you could put a permanent piece of PVC pipe, say 3/4" down into the rez. Then when you want to drain it you could feed a smaller diameter hose down through it and use a syphon to pull the water.

That would be slower but they make the syphons for fish tanks to clean the gravel at the bottom. It's essentially a length of maybe 3/8" clear tubing with a one way bulb or valve in the middle that you squeeze a few times to get the water flowing.
Hmm… good idea @Azimuth - I gotta think on this and see what’s out there. I’m not even ready to ask questions yet. Flying blindish on this one has me stressed enough about bringing in the WWC for a safe landing. I have 5 weeks ish to screw her up yet.

Forbidden Runtz
Rotation Day

I spin her 180 degrees about every three days so that the very corner (least light spot on the tent) doesn’t have the same buds. I literally have no place else to put this plant. The WWC has completely taken over the tent. Anyway, here’s her back side, now front side, lol.

66F540DC-1E0F-4D68-9D0B-CDE4E03D7513.jpeg

I was checking out Dinafem seeds today and find that Growers Choice is not the only house offering XXL auto genetics. Dinafem also has a few. Yay! Choices!

Banana Sherbet Yield Report

Official challenge fail.
I’m not even going to bother with the weighing pictures, too disappointed. The jarred buds were a very pedestrian 11.2 ounces. Didn’t even beat Titan from the last grow. WAY short of a pound. And you know whose fault that is? Mine and mine alone. I wimped out. Of all people I pussied out on my light intensity (sorry, not going to mince words, I really did). The buds are frosty and get you plenty high and even now taste great. But they fail in the density department. Like, significant fail. I took plenty enough product off this scrog to have made a pound had the buds finished as dense as I KNOW they could and should have. But I got scared! My god, am I kicking my own ass. I didn’t want to burn or damage the tall colas so I had the light adjusted more for the tops than for the scrog itself. Rookie mistake. When I was at 35-50% I should have been at 75-80. Light intensity has a huge impact on bud density, and I fricking KNOW this, and I still wimped out. Simple as that. Lesson learned.

The other lesson I learned AGAIN, is that due to my condition, the scrog simply doesn’t work for me. Same problem as before. I can’t effectively attend to the back corner of the scrog. Can’t defol. Can’t do anything above the screen or to a certain extent below once the buds are formed. As a result, the back left corner of the scrog had a significant amount of flarf. As it was with most of the scrog, due primarily to the density lacking a bit, it all looked a bit better than it actually was. So our goal is going to fall flat, as that’s simply way too much a deficit to make up no matter how big the WWC gets. (Lol). I’m don’t know why I insist on banging my head against the wall trying to make a damn scrog work properly, I thought it would add to the variety of growing methods for this journal, true, but that’s not it. It’s like a personal challenge. But I think I have enough evidence now to put it down. I am 100% certain that had I grown this plant in a non scrog situation in the same tent I’d be looking at way denser buds and a significantly higher yield.

Now, the upside. I have 11.2 ounces of killer bud from an auto in less than 90 days. It’s not like I sell weed, so the density issue is not an issue in reality at all. It is, relative to my desires and personal satisfaction, but that’s it. The bud is every bit as good and top notch. Sticky. Stinky. Tasty already. It is my second best auto yield ever, after the 12.75 we took off Titan. It’s not exactly something to sneeze at. So the only disappointment really is the challenge and a bit on the density. Both I can easily live with.

So here’s three pictures that tell the story in my opinion.
1/2. The jars. All these jars are filled. 7 large jars. For 11.2 ounces it should only take 5 jars max. I’ve filled them plenty enough times with dense buds to know. The fact that it takes 7, plus the two smaller jars, tells you loud and clear, FLUFFY, not DENSE.
3. The bud itself. You guys have seen enough bud pictures to be able to see the density issue I describe here. All the bud is exactly like this. Perfect….except for the goddamn density.

So as I said, I’ll share it all, including the epic fails. Lmao. And if 11+ ounces from an auto is an epic fail, it’s a failure I can live with. All we need is for the WWC to be 21 ounces now. :laugh::rofl:

D9500765-E3E7-4532-9CD3-4916EA3247C0.jpeg

1B4C0B3F-A3B9-46D4-9A55-D4B72F113E62.jpeg

E238F240-A027-4AD0-B2D4-4B59E3D2A51B.jpeg

It seems to me that you just need more practice. Better try again.... :cheesygrinsmiley:

And seriously, your "epic fails" are dream results for many if us.
Thanks @Azimuth. The haul was not created without your help and input, so sincerely, thanks. I’m not disappointed at all.

Banana Sherbet Yield Report

Official challenge fail.
Not for us;).
I’m not even going to bother with the weighing pictures, too disappointed. The jarred buds were a very pedestrian 11.2 ounces. Didn’t even beat Titan from the last grow. WAY short of a pound. And you know whose fault that is? Mine and mine alone. I wimped out. Of all people I pussied out on my light intensity (sorry, not going to mince words, I really did). The buds are frosty and get you plenty high and even now taste great. But they fail in the density department. Like, significant fail. I took plenty enough product off this scrog to have made a pound had the buds finished as dense as I KNOW they could and should have. But I got scared! My god, am I kicking my own ass. I didn’t want to burn or damage the tall colas so I had the light adjusted more for the tops than for the scrog itself. Rookie mistake. When I was at 35-50% I should have been at 75-80. Light intensity has a huge impact on bud density, and I fricking KNOW this, and I still wimped out. Simple as that. Lesson learned.
Bah! You followed conventional wisdom from previous grows. Most growers would have done the same. Most also get nervous cranking the light when they're in close proximity. Especially when you're foxtailing and bleaching buds.
It's like droughting- you're inducing stress, and it's hard to stay the course, and sometimes pushing too hard is indeed detrimental...it's a hard balancing act.

But you spotted where you could have improved- and its something that you'll take with you in your future grows. And its something that most growers wouldn't have picked up on.

Try for your next challenge to not take any light readings once their past seedling stage. Honestly do it. Challenge issued brother. You've got the skills to do it, and you will most likely see an increase in harvest weights, especially if you follow the mentality of watching how she responds.

Slight rant warning- feel free to skip.
i consider using a light meter akin to using a soil mositure meter. Or following a watering/feeding schedule. You're ignoring what the plant is telling you, and following a blueprint. Some strains can handle it, so give it to them. :)
The other lesson I learned AGAIN, is that due to my condition, the scrog simply doesn’t work for me. Same problem as before. I can’t effectively attend to the back corner of the scrog. Can’t defol. Can’t do anything above the screen or to a certain extent below once the buds are formed. As a result, the back left corner of the scrog had a significant amount of flarf. As it was with most of the scrog, due primarily to the density lacking a bit, it all looked a bit better than it actually was. So our goal is going to fall flat, as that’s simply way too much a deficit to make up no matter how big the WWC gets. (Lol). I’m don’t know why I insist on banging my head against the wall trying to make a damn scrog work properly, I thought it would add to the variety of growing methods for this journal, true, but that’s not it. It’s like a personal challenge. But I think I have enough evidence now to put it down. I am 100% certain that had I grown this plant in a non scrog situation in the same tent I’d be looking at way denser buds and a significantly higher yield.
Sorry to hear that the Scrog just ain't your thing. But I'm super glad you tried. Never stop challenging yourself :love:
Now, the upside. I have 11.2 ounces of killer bud from an auto in less than 90 days. It’s not like I sell weed, so the density issue is not an issue in reality at all. It is, relative to my desires and personal satisfaction, but that’s it. The bud is every bit as good and top notch. Sticky. Stinky. Tasty already. It is my second best auto yield ever, after the 12.75 we took off Titan. It’s not exactly something to sneeze at. So the only disappointment really is the challenge and a bit on the density. Both I can easily live with.
Titan was a super freak. 313g is still an amazing haul, and still beats the crap out of the majority of most growers' auto yields, mine included.
So here’s three pictures that tell the story in my opinion.
1/2. The jars. All these jars are filled. 7 large jars. For 11.2 ounces it should only take 5 jars max. I’ve filled them plenty enough times with dense buds to know. The fact that it takes 7, plus the two smaller jars, tells you loud and clear, FLUFFY, not DENSE.
3. The bud itself. You guys have seen enough bud pictures to be able to see the density issue I describe here. All the bud is exactly like this. Perfect….except for the goddamn density.

So as I said, I’ll share it all, including the epic fails. Lmao. And if 11+ ounces from an auto is an epic fail, it’s a failure I can live with. All we need is for the WWC to be 21 ounces now. :laugh::rofl:

D9500765-E3E7-4532-9CD3-4916EA3247C0.jpeg

1B4C0B3F-A3B9-46D4-9A55-D4B72F113E62.jpeg

E238F240-A027-4AD0-B2D4-4B59E3D2A51B.jpeg
That was an epic grow, and yield my friend! :adore: :adore: :yummy:

What's her terps smellin like?

Not for us;).

Bah! You followed conventional wisdom from previous grows. Most growers would have done the same. Most also get nervous cranking the light when they're in close proximity. Especially when you're foxtailing and bleaching buds.
It's like droughting- you're inducing stress, and it's hard to stay the course.

But you spotted where you could have improved- and its something that you'll take with you in your future grows. And its something that most growers wouldn't have picked up on.

Try for your next challenge to not take any light readings once their past seedling stage. Honestly do it. Challenge issued brother. You've got the skills to do it, and you will most likely see an increase in harvest weights, especially if you follow the mentality of watching how she responds.

Slight rant warning- feel free to skip.
i consider using a light meter akin to using a soil mositure meter. Or following a watering/feeding schedule. You're ignoring what the plant is telling you, and following a blueprint. Some strains can handle it, so give it to them. :)

Sorry to hear that the Scrog just ain't your thing. But I'm super glad you tried. Never stop challenging yourself :love:

Titan was a super freak. 313g is still an amazing haul, and still beats the crap out of the majority of most growers' auto yields, mine included.

That was an epic grow, and yield my friend! :adore: :adore: :yummy:

What's her terps smellin like?
Damn, thanks @Rexer! Ok I’ll try that next time. Also, I do use a light meter of course. That scrog was getting 1500* ppfd at the tops. But where the bulk of the buds were - far less. I checked it and considered cranking it even more, and I could have pulled the colas all down, but as I said, I was scared. Now I know. Besides, with any training but scrog I never have this issue. I know how to use light. And I easily admit that being conservative this time cost me. But take the White Widow for example, now in the same spot. Light is at 100%. Ppfd is around 1300. Too high. But the plant is responding beautifully so we leave it. Obviously in this case it’s NOT too much. I got you Rexer. Follow the blueprint but also listen to the plant, that’s essentially what you’re saying.

Also @Rexer - super thanks for all your help on this. But your work is not done yet, we still have to bring home the WWC. :rofl: It’s not as if you have a whole grow of your own including a 50 GALLON outdoor plant!!!! Lmao. Again, thank you very much.

Terps? She stinks!!!

Sometimes you get so caught up in stuff you forget what you know. Don’t think for a second that fluffy buds don’t piss me off. Sometimes I need a kick in the ass to get me back to the grower who is Jon. If that makes sense.

So let’s be Jon.

FTFM.

76B4A8F8-60CF-475A-B476-A17BB230B839.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom