• Big Buddha Seeds - Big Buddha Cheese

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Kiwi Seeds - Mako Haze

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • The Greenhouse-White widow

Votes: 34 33.0%

• Total voters

four20friend

Well I took the time and did some research and thought I was ready for a hydro grow.
I have a hydrohut kindergaren.
a 24" sun system new wave T5 with 3K and 6K cfl's.
I went with the waterfarm complete.
see them here
GENERAL HYDROPONICS
and I am still undecided on what type of light i should get for the 12/12. the kindergarden is not that large.
Measures 140cm x 70cm x 200 cm
4'7" x 2'3"x 625' tall
Hydrohut Mini, Deluxe hydroponic hut & Original hydrohut are variety of hydrohuts
I only have about
I started them in rockwool and just put them in the larger cubes this morning. They are only 11 days from sprout.I am going to keep them in the popagator maybe 2 more days before moving them into the waterfarm.

I started with a ph of 5.5 after watching esoteric hydroponics but after reading more I am moving them up to 6.0 after putting them in the larger cubes.

Four are Kali mist and 4 Northern Lights but after several of my ladies friends checked them out they got moved around and the tags removed so now i dont know whats-what. I guess i will have to wait until flower or some of you point out what look like Kali mist or Northern Lights.

I am now worried they may get too tall when i move them to the top of the hydrohut kindergarden to flower. I only have about 2 feet for growth under the lights.Well i guess i will find out. Any input on how tall kali mist and Northern Lights will get would be appreciated.

any input or pm's are welcome!

Here are day 14 pictures.
precious4.jpg

Even if I don't know much about hydro I can say that everything looks like it's undercontrol, all right..!
As for lights, I recommend a HPS, but only because that is what I am using. I have cfl's (compact fluorescents) in the veg closet and you could also use that to flower. You'll be able to let your plants stretch out more and thy can come up as close as 2-3" from the light without problems.

Oh yeah, about your poll. I voted for WW from GreenHouse. I watched their clips on youtube so many times and this seed bank is definitely amazing. Why WW, it's a classic strain that they perfected over the year, you'll enjoy it greatly I'm sure.

I would like to grow outdoors next spring, I'm thinking of maybe getting Himalaya Gold from GHS.

Props and best of luck.

thanks mota. I hav ea height restriction in the hydrohut kindergarden. only 2 feet of grow room out of the waterfarms. So I dont want them to grow tall at all. I am thinking about a 600 watt hps. With the limited room in the hut I am wondering if I should go smaller with a 400 hps. 400 should cover the entire upper shelf of the hut and the light will always be close. the price is so close between 400 and 600 I may just go for the 600 anyway.

Here are more pictuire from day 16.

day161.jpg

day16b.jpg

I still cant tell which ones are the NL or KM. :hmmmm:

Everything is looking really good man. If you only have that much vertical growth room, you might want to look at scrogging them or lst. Plants will double or triple in size during flowering.

Are the kali mist from serious seeds...if so, ive been looking forward to seeing this grow for a long time.

I've been growing with 400 hps lights since the beginning. Recently I've gotten 1 600 digital ballast. You can definately tell the difference. My buds are actually starting to bleach yellow/white at the tops. I have the light about 8 inches above my plants. I do have the lights very well ventilated though, so the heat really isn't that bad. At most it reaches 85 F at the top of the buds while the bottom of the plant is about 75 F. So, basically what I'm saying is be careful getting a 600. It may be too much for ya.

the price is so close between 400 and 600 I may just go for the 600 anyway.

They are looking good so far..!

Yes, the price is not very different. But I am assuming that the electricity cost might be.. Have you thought about that, I don't know how much electricity costs where you live, but that extra 200w could end up making a difference on the bill at the end of the month. Or maybe not, I don't know to be honnest.

Stix, I currently have a 400w about 20" from the top of my plant.. You have yours at 8", did I read that right? I like to keep the light high enough so I hardly feel any heat from the bulb around the top of the plant. I'm guessing that if you vent properly like you say you do, you can allow yourself to have the light a tad bit closet to the plants.. ;)

berrydizzle, I got the seeds from dopeseeds this sites sponser.they were under the serious seeds section. they came in 5 days(they even threw in free seeds) and all popped.I only have about 2'-4" total so its going to be a squeeze in that kindergarden.I am reading about sog and scrog but not sure how much of a difference it might make. there are two levels in that kindergarden. I might take the shelf out and just keep the mothers someplace else if there is not enough room. after reading your posts mota and stix you guys have me thinking hard about the heat and height. its only

140cm x 70cm x 200 cm
4’7” x 2’3”x 625’ tall

with the waterfram on the top shelf that leaves 2 feet to grow out of the buckets.

I may go with a 600w and let them grow through the shelf from the bottom and keep the mothers somewhere else.that will give me about 5 feet in height.

they are under two 3k t5s and two 6k t5s four total now on the bottom and they seem to be doing well. I will post a new picture later today.

Well I am at day 24 in my grow from seed. After I raised the ph to 5.8 and nutes to 5ml of the flora-micro,grow,bloom per gallon. I checked on them last night and they were yellow all over. I flushed them with just water at 5.5 ph and reduced the nutes to 2.5 ml per gallon. they look a little better today but I just got an intake fan for the hydrohut and put in it there as well so i am wondering if its just the increased airflow.
I am going to transfer them to the waterfarms and keep the nutes at 2.5 ml for another few days. as you can see in the pictures most of the leaves have large amounts of yellow and they are curling under. They also got some burnt tips and one leave has brown spots.
The nutes were not that srong for 24 day old seedlings so I think I may have kept the cubes to wet.If anyone has a watering schedule that worked well for the waterfarms I would appreciate a post or a pm..
here they are.

day241.jpg

so you expert growers out there what would be your diagnosis?:hmmmm:

I suspect you may have had a ph imbalance. I would be inclined to give the seedlings a light (half strength) foliar spray with some veg fert (fish), and some sea tea if you can get it. Sea tea is brilliant for helping stressed plants recover.
Now that you have adjusted your nutrients and ph, watch for healthy new growth. I would also try and let a bit more air to the roots. That may be a part of the problem as well.

thanks moose. I think the cubes were way too wet. I squeezed out a bit of the water but they were heavy even after 2 days without water. I put them in the waterfarms and they are doing a bit better in the Hydroton. the nutes are reduced to seedling amounts. Stoner I have done soil and IMHO its WAY more of a pain in the ass. the "dirt",bugs and leaking water everywhere made my envy hydro.those alone are reason enough for me to stay hydro.

There is another option other then rockwool just to let ya know. I use grow plugs. They work REALLY good. No need to ph balance them at all. I also use Flora Series Nutes. I hope you add 1 nutrient at a time into your water starting with the micro. You can't mix the nutes together then put them in your water. This will cause nute lock. There are also other additives I use along with my 3 part nutes as well.

Gro
Micro
Bloom

Additives

Hygrozyme (I use this throughout the grow. It's a relatively new additive on the market. It's used to enhance the root system. It's expensive but well worth it in my opinion.)

Floralicious plus (This is a new additive as well. It's basically Floralicious Grow and Floralicious Bloom all in one but it is MUCH MORE concentrated. Don't be discouraged by the price. Make sure you take into account the concentration level. I also use this throughout my grow

Diamond Nectar (This one you can probally do without. The concentration level sucks. You will go through this additive much much more quickly then any other nutrient or additive. I still use it, but usually not at its recommended strength. This additive is only required through veg and the beginning of your bloom.

There are TONS of nutrients and additives on the market. Some are better some are worse. I've been using these nutes since the beginning of my Hydro adventure with pretty good results. I have not lost any plants yet. Lemme go knock on some wood! ;) Hydro is definately the way to go IMO. It's so much cleaner and it's easy to maintain good nutrient levels. I can go away on vacation for a week in the middle of my 12/12 and not have to worry to much. Only thing to worry about would be the plants growing into the lights. Ph will flucuate, but not enough to be of consequence in a weeks time once the plants are strong and established.

It's VERY important to keep your resevoir full of oxygen. You should have a air pump (any fishtank air pump will do) and an airstone. keep it running 24/7 in your resevoir.

P.S If I'm not mistaken Kali Mist is a Sativa which grows very tall. I wouldn't let it grow to tall during veg. I would figure that beast will probally more likely triple in size during flowering.

Good Luck!

thanks stix i will grab some of that Hygrozyme. I am using the 3 part system now. I dont have an airstone i am going to grab some for each bucket. they are on a drip now 3 x a day for 15 mins.they look a bit yellow but after reading up it looks like a sulfer prob.i added 1 tbps epsom salts to each gallon.
I will keep you posted here is how they look now

day25a.jpg

If your gonna use epsom salts and hygrozyme make sure you add epson salts when changing your nutes. Epsom salts will attack the emzymes in the Hygrozyme basically making the hygrozyme useless. What you wanna do is, add your 3 basic nutrients then the epsom salt. Wait 2 days before adding the hygrozyme. Epsom Salt should totally disapate in a day.

You may wanna water your plants more frequently then 3 times a day. I run my ebb&flo on 1/2 hour off 1 hour on 1/2 hour off 1 hour and so on during the light cycle. I also run it twice during the dark cycle just to keep the roots from getting dry.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom