Kali Mist CFL Scrog Grow Journal - 05-19-13

Hapy Skunkday Crimson:)

I'm seeing growth again in the girls.

As far as the pests go, the soil is dry and needs water but I think I'll let it go another day to let the DE do its job. DE becomes ineffective when moist. The DE seems to be working well, lots of gnats getting coated in the stuff, it takes approximately 24-72 hours to kill most insects and from experience, does a damn good job. I used the potato slice method in addition to the DE recommended by spimp
what this does is attracts the larvae to the potatoes in a couple days and allows you to dispose of a lot at once and to see if any larvae are remaining. I'm using glue traps to control the adults and so far its caught about 20-30 of them. I see a lot less flying around but I found a massive colony in 1 of my bigger house plants. I also used a diluted solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide to kill off the larvae in all my houseplants and vegging cannabis plants. I will monitor their health over the next 24 hours and then decide whether or not its safe to use on my flowering girls.

(Safety precuation)
I forgot to mention yesterday that if anyone does intend on using Diatomaceous Earth for pest control to handle with care. It looks pretty harmless but its bad stuff to inhale and can cause cause a slew of adverse health effects and respiratory diseases such as silicosis, asthma, and emphysema. Researchers believe cancer as well but no evidence. Its not advised to use DE indoors but if you must use food grade DE and use it in a low air movement area as the particles of DE become airborne very easy (its like flower)

For the most effective products and highest safety Nemotodes are your safest bet, it is expensive and sometimes hard to find.

you can powder your dog or cat with DE to help prevent fleas as long as its food grade as Crimson said. that said no powder or dust is good to breath in.
getting it on the flower can be rinsed of come harvest.

So does the DE get on the buds at all? Seems like a bad thing from your safety precaution.

I sure hope not lol. I have all fans off so hopefully that stops the air flow. It can be harmful but its not gonna happen over night. If your familiar with insulation and fiber glass this is basically the same concept sharp shards of diatom like glass particles from insulation. Its safe to ingest just not inhale. Once its wet it can no longer become airborne but also becomes ineffective thereafter

I sure hope not lol. I have all fans off so hopefully that stops the air flow. It can be harmful but its not gonna happen over night. If your familiar with insulation and fiber glass this is basically the same concept sharp shards of diatom like glass particles from insulation. Its safe to ingest just not inhale. Once its wet it can no longer become airborne but also becomes ineffective thereafter

I get it now Crimson, have not used it before but have used fiberglass insulation.

you can powder your dog or cat with DE to help prevent fleas as long as its food grade as Crimson said. that said no powder or dust is good to breath in.
getting it on the flower can be rinsed of come harvest.

It can be used to kill fleas but I wouldnt use it on my animals. I use this stuff mainly outdoors in my garden, kills everything that crosses its path in 72 hours, its like boric acid cept its organic.

I didnt know you could wash buds, does it reduce thc content and increase mold probability? Thats pretty interesting sir fish. Your an encyclopedia of knowledge lol.

Iread somewhere you can dunk moldy buds in hydrogen peroxide and it'll desipate and not kill the plant in flower. Im skpetical but its good to know if true

For the cannabis plants DE was applied by brushing a layer around the top of the soil.

IMG_58621.JPG
IMG_58653.JPG
IMG_58662.JPG
IMG_5863.JPG

The Dracaena fragrans was hit the hardest with pests when we first got it few months back. it had spider mites, mealy bugs, and apparently the fungus gnats which I recently learned can be harmful to the roots of plants. I took care of the spider mites and mealy bugs with straight isopropyl alcohol by spraying the entire top layer of soil with it and generously applying alcohol to the leaves with a rag. This continued for a few weeks and I wiped everything out but left the fungus gnats thinking they were harmless.

Last night I stirred up the upper half of the top soil and applied 8oz of DE and mixed it throughout the entire soil to kill all the immature adults, adults, and larvae. This afternoon I poured a quarter gallon water through followed by 1 gallon of the hydrogen peroxide solution to try and kill off the larvae, hydrogen peroxide doesnt bother the immature adults at all. The soils crap so it dried pretty quick and I decided to mix in the DE again for more killing power. I'll report what I find later in the day.

For anyone who buys plants from Home Depot, my advice is don't. Their plants may look nice but their plants are infested with pests and problems.

IMG_58792.JPG
IMG_58803.JPG

Diluted Hydrogen Peroxide Solution was applied to all the housplants and to the vegging cannabis plants to see how they react to it first within a 24 hour period. Most of the houseplants cheap soil didnt fizz and bubble like the high quality soil in the cannabis plants

IMG_58812.JPG
IMG_5876.JPG
IMG_5872.JPG

Heres a pic of her before applying the solution yesterday, I'll post another once lights come on.

This clone is a tester clone, going in the trash once I'm finished experimenting on it

IMG_58771.JPG

Happy Munchday Crimson!
you can wash your buds after you harvest in a five gallon bucket with water a cup of baking soda and a 1/2 cup of lemon juice. agitating some what vigorously then rinse with clean water followed by a normal drying.
you can also Blanche your harvest like green beans or other greens. but do not use water above 175degrees and then shock them with cold water. as cold as you can with out using ice. a 40 degree difference will do. your harvest will come out looking way better as this realy brings the colors out and will not effect the potency. Oh if you do do the Blanche use lemon and baking soda in the hot water.

Happy Munchday Crimson!
you can wash your buds after you harvest in a five gallon bucket with water a cup of baking soda and a 1/2 cup of lemon juice. agitating some what vigorously then rinse with clean water followed by a normal drying.
you can also Blanche your harvest like green beans or other greens. but do not use water above 175degrees and then shock them with cold water. as cold as you can with out using ice. a 40 degree difference will do. your harvest will come out looking way better as this realy brings the colors out and will not effect the potency. Oh if you do do the Blanche use lemon and baking soda in the hot water.

Morning Sir Fish, that's really cool. Thanks for sharing. when you say bring out colors do you mean colors like purple? I heard a rumor to get that purple effect you drop temps or something

Good weed Crimson!

Good morning Jeff, I've been wondering for some time where your journal went. Sorry really curious, been bugging me. I'm sure you've been asked a bunch of times lol.

Beautiful Plants Crimbo :xmas:

Kudos and Reps for the DE Tutorial pics.

Most people here are doing things for the first time,

so Information and experiences shared and explained are worth more than gold.

Viva el Crimbo !

Ole!

I dont think it will change the actual colors of the tops it just enhances them
Yes purple strains can show better color if the temps at night get around 55 and some just turn color all by them selves with out the cooler temps. that is dependent on the strain:)

Back
Top Bottom