Kali Mist CFL Scrog Grow Journal - 05-19-13

After further researching hydrogen peroxide, I found that its supposedly quite beneficial for most plants. It's a source of oxygen, Increases plant Vigor, Counteracts pathogens, and prevents diseases.

As of now I am planning on letting my soil completely dry out to make life difficult for the larvae, I'll then water with 1 part hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) and 3 or 4 parts water. I dont have anything to cover the plants soil with so I may have to use DE (Diatomacous Earth) on top of the soil to kill any adults that will try to lay eggs, problem is DE takes about 1-3 days to kill the adults as its the infection of being cut open by DE that kills the insects, not the DE itself. Which means the adults will still be able to lay the eggs thus possibly starting the whole process over again.

Any Suggestions? Thoughts?

Think your on the right track buddy. Since you have a serious infestation I suggest you go full bore and use all methods to see if you cant get it whipped quickly. ;)

Think your on the right track buddy. Since you have a serious infestation I suggest you go full bore and use all methods to see if you cant get it whipped quickly. ;)

Thank you, your feedback means a lot to me spimp. I think my biggest challenge will be eliminating them from all the houseplants too. not so much my girls. I'll be keeping close tabs and post up a guide or something in the future

Thank you, your feedback means a lot to me spimp. I think my biggest challenge will be eliminating them from all the houseplants too. not so much my girls. I'll be keeping close tabs and post up a guide or something in the future

And if you have any pets I would ban them from your room, if not already. Insects love their fur as transport vehicles.

You will get it dude, just declare war and use the power of the human mind on them, they got numbers, but we got chemistry. And then after you kill them all, buy a bunch of lady bugs.

Also if you think you have a pH problem what is pH of soil and or/runoff? I scanned recent posts a bit but could not find.

And if you have any pets I would ban them from your room, if not already. Insects love their fur as transport vehicles.

You will get it dude, just declare war and use the power of the human mind on them, they got numbers, but we got chemistry. And then after you kill them all, buy a bunch of lady bugs.

Also if you think you have a pH problem what is pH of soil and or/runoff? I scanned recent posts a bit but could not find.

Oh its on like donkey kong. These critters are goin down. PH is currently at 6.8 as of a few days ago. There was 1 instance awhile back where I caught the PH below 6 and caused nute lockouts, that was the beginning of all my problems lol. Since then it has been fixed almost immediately. I have a close eye on the PH though cause I have a feeling it could drop sharply with all the flushing lately. I believe soaked medium causes PH to fluctuate a lot more, just a theory of mine.

At the very end of my harvest I will write down all the problems I encountered, How I fixed them, and what I can do going forward to keep things running smooth.

With regards to pH, just an idea, use tap water since you seem to have low pH problems, my tap is in high 7.0's so it all evens out with the ferts and other pH lowering things going on in soil. Unless you already doing that. But seems like you got it back to good range anyhow.

With regards to pH, just an idea, use tap water since you seem to have low pH problems, my tap is in high 7.0's so it all evens out with the ferts and other pH lowering things going on in soil. Unless you already doing that. But seems like you got it back to good range anyhow.

Hi crawdaddy, thank you kindly for chiming in and helping out :) I feel that tapwater advice to rectify a low ph problem isn't good advice.

PH straight from tap can vary from location to location. An interesting fact is tap water PH can fluctuate by 2 points in a single day. Fortunately for me my ph is always at 7 from the tap and is very hard high GH and KH.

hard water can be contributed to many things but most commonly high mineral content. Another interesting Fact is hard water over time raises PH :)

I hope I didn't offend you and I really do appreciate you taking the time to help out sir

I recently learned that 'soft-water' is really bad for MJ as well. Seems soft water has been ;softened; with... SALT. No bueno.

That sounds fairly accurate, my guess for that would be most of the things we use in cannabis or in life are naturally acidic ie: fertilizer, peatmoss, bark, wood, etc.. so using soft water will just contribute to a lower PH.

A Peat moss Buffer is the best water softener/PH decreaser I know of. Lime and Crushed Coral is the most alkaline buffer I know of. Its used in fish tanks all the time. Its interesting actually to see so many similarities in growing out cannabis and caring for aquariums/cultivating freshwater plants.

from what I've seen personally Salt generally contributes to hard water and raising PH.

There is a general rule in chemistry as to how salts affect solution pH. If the salt of a strong base and weak acid is dissolved in water it will form an alkaline solution, whereas, the salt of a weak base and strong acid will form an acidic solution. The salts of a strong acid and strong base or a weak acid and weak base will both form a neutral or near neutral solution. For example, sodium sulfate (Na2SO4) will form a neutral solution when dissolved in water because it is the salt of a strong base and strong acid, whereas, tri-sodium phosphate (Na3PO4) will form an alkaline solution because it is the salt of a strong base and weak acid.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and Hope this helps!

That sounds fairly accurate, my guess for that would be most of the things we use in cannabis or in life are naturally acidic ie: fertilizer, peatmoss, bark, wood, etc.. so using soft water will just contribute to a lower PH.

A Peat moss Buffer is the best water softener/PH decreaser I know of. Lime and Crushed Coral is the most alkaline buffer I know of. Its used in fish tanks all the time. Its interesting actually to see so many similarities in growing out cannabis and caring for aquariums/cultivating freshwater plants.

from what I've seen personally Salt generally contributes to hard water and raising PH.

There is a general rule in chemistry as to how salts affect solution pH. If the salt of a strong base and weak acid is dissolved in water it will form an alkaline solution, whereas, the salt of a weak base and strong acid will form an acidic solution. The salts of a strong acid and strong base or a weak acid and weak base will both form a neutral or near neutral solution. For example, sodium sulfate (Na2SO4) will form a neutral solution when dissolved in water because it is the salt of a strong base and strong acid, whereas, tri-sodium phosphate (Na3PO4) will form an alkaline solution because it is the salt of a strong base and weak acid.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and Hope this helps!

Im convince you know WAY WAY moreabout this than I, but since Im kinda a science dork Ill through in my random thoughts and you can explode them with your experience :rofl:
I think the salt in water softening is more about the ion exchange than the dissapation and breakdown of molecules. Its not the addition of salt like you speak of in the chemistry example, its the negatively charged 'resin' in the filters and the mass amount of weakly charged sodium that pushess the heavily charged ions into the resins. Heres a cool pic I found of it.
9808HIHWC.gif

BTW, Im only half here mentally so im sure I f'd this up pretty good :rofl:

Im convince you know WAY WAY moreabout this than I, but since Im kinda a science dork Ill through in my random thoughts and you can explode them with your experience :rofl:
I think the salt in water softening is more about the ion exchange than the dissapation and breakdown of molecules. Its not the addition of salt like you speak of in the chemistry example, its the negatively charged 'resin' in the filters and the mass amount of weakly charged sodium that pushess the heavily charged ions into the resins. Heres a cool pic I found of it.
9808HIHWC.gif

BTW, Im only half here mentally so im sure I f'd this up pretty good :rofl:

Hiya spimp, In that example,You sir are spot on - 100%, my above reference is a general rule of chemistry of the effects of salt on PH, as stated above :) In other words.... Drum Roll Please.... We are both correct!

There are multiple ways to soften water and for consumption in living organisms, it will almost always involve a process known as Ion-Exchange. As you said the salt is exchanged for the hard minerals Ca, Mg thus softening the water. Interestingly, Reverse Osmosis softens water too and actually removes salt in the process (its primary function)

I'm sure this is old news to you but Ion-exchange is used extensively in small water systems and individual homes.

In case others are wondering, The simplest explanation of how this process works. (same site that spimps image is from :) )

The typical water softener is a mechanical appliance that's plumbed into your home's water supply system. All water softeners use the same operating principle: They trade the minerals for something else, in most cases sodium. The process is called ion exchange.

The heart of a water softener is a mineral tank. It's filled with small polystyrene beads, also known as resin or zeolite. The beads carry a negative charge.

Calcium and magnesium in water both carry positive charges. This means that these minerals will cling to the beads as the hard water passes through the mineral tank.

Source - How It Works: Water Softener

I decided to follow your advice spimp.:high-five: I just finished putting a thin layer of diatomaceous earth on every single plant. I see powder coated flies everywhere >=]

I hope the DE doesnt cause my calcium content to skyrocket. Calcium competes with magnesium for nutrient uptake, an element my plants are really lacking

Tomorrow I water everything with 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide 4 parts water. I'm pretty fearful the hydrogen peroxide will mess things up, so I'll continue researching it. I'm also not thrilled I'm gonna be watering my healthy flowering clone with this solution. I just found out today that heavenly sweet aroma is coming off her.

DE is good stuff not only will it control pests but it also adds silica to your soil and that make for stouter stems. Give up the reps to the Spimp everyone:)

I like the way DE kils the bugs. Very diabolical. :rofl:
As for the cal/mag issue i think you will be more than fine. You did say you were giving a cal/mag supplement?

No supplements, I just ordered Maxibloom nutes which has all the macro and micro nutrients in it. I gave a small dose but haven't really begun the new nutes yet. Miracle grow is completely missing Mg and Ca

DE is good stuff not only will it control pests but it also adds silica to your soil and that make for stouter stems. Give up the reps to the Spimp everyone:)

I did not know that about the silica. Thanks for sharing fish cakes. Yes + reps for spimp :)

I just repped not too long ago, gotta wait

Back
Top Bottom