LED Grow Test

re: LED GROW TEST. 126W hydro grow led VS. 180W

Amazing bud, almost too good to be true.... Nice info...

Irish, I'll apologize to you here for my statements to others in your other copy of this. Sorry bro. I couldn't keep my mouth shut.

dont apologize say as you want and when you want i dont care at all. sorry to post question about my grow on ur thread, i just cought that. my bad bro i didnt realize that wasn't my thread.lol

Hey Irishboy,

Just wanted to say +Rep to you for this thread. You're keeping everyone on the edge of their seat! Looks like we're getting a bit off topic every now and then, but thanks for being so cool. Props man!

Done!

Hey Bux,

When I looked at it initially I just read through the results page and several posts to either side. Since then I went back and read through the entire thread (wow, that was a lot of reading!); my Spanish is a little rusty, but with a little refresh and the use of Google Translate, here's what he did:

(All were grown from long-used clones SOG-style, started under Metal Halide for veg, flowered exclusively with LED. Replaced his usual 600W HPS with two rectangular LED units (see below) over a 1m^2 (10.76 sq ft) garden area.)

First Grow (Harvest - July 14 2009)

Strain: White Russian
224W LED
381g total/224 = 1.7 g/watt
25 clones, avg 15g/clone
Finished in 66 days (about 2 days earlier than he's used to with HPS for this strain)

Second Grow (Harvest - Dec 3rd 2009)
Strain: Chronic
Finished in ~65-66 days (same flowering time as with his HPS grows)

Lighting: Had issues during flowering and had to adjust midway through, to wit:
Weeks 1-5: 224W LED
Weeks 5-7 (Day 36-50): 192W LED
Last two weeks: 242W LED

He's using two 112W (16 x 7 row) boards, they're called '120W' units but that includes fans - the actual 1W LED's are 224 total, according to Mr. X. Two rows (32w) dropped out of one unit, probably from a loose solder, on day 35; he ordered a 50W LED UFO to compensate. It arrived 14-15 days later and he finished with the good panel, the faulty panel, and the 50W UFO. (Will be sending the unit back to be fixed under warranty...)

Out of that, he pulled:

428g total
25 clones, avg 17g/clone

If you just average the three wattages he had during flower, you get ~215W, which gives you 1.99 g/watt.

Looking at the actual grow, the last two weeks didn't add all that much weight, it basically just ripened them; most of the weight was added over weeks 4-7. So, not really sure how you'd call this one; he was under 200W for the critical period during flowering.

A few of his pre-harvest pics (2nd run) are below:

Mr_X_63d_2nd_run_Chronic.jpg

Mr_X_63d_2nd_run_Chronic_2.jpg

Mr_X_63d_2nd_run_Chronic_Think_in_Purple.jpg

------------------------

Either way, that's pretty impressive, I'd say! If you read the notes, he mentions some high heat issues during his first grow, and wanting to try ~300W in the same space next time. But considering his LED yield vs. his old 600W HPS, he considers it a resounding success.

Mr. X says that with current LED lamps, one may come to expect 2g/watt in 'very optimistic' conditions, but it is 'complicated' (translation?), by which I think he means there are several factors to take into consideration.

He also mentions that, realistically speaking, most growers will max out their performance under HPS around 0.6 g/watt or so, so the increased efficiency is temendous.

Some interesting discussion in the thread itself. Another LED user ('Gud') claims 'considerably' more resin under LED vs. his old HPS, whether from not burning the tops or due to spectrum...

------------------

It turns out some of the foreign language forums are among the most active for LED grows; can't link to it directly, but if you Googled 'Net', 'Cafe', and 'Cannabis', you'd probably find the forum in question...

Hope that helps!

Regards,

-TL

thanks for the post love looking at nice bud pics and great info their. maybe i could get a PM of the link?

Those are the most impressive LED grown buds ive seen to date,
i know the units he is using as well, the 112w units (called 120w),
but does he mention the spectrum of the LEDs, or what generation the lights are?

This seems fishy...maybe I am too easy to become skeptical??

Not to say buds cant be produced, bla blah blah, we are passed that argument here. What I mean is, yeah, whats up with these units? And how!?

-gog-

...realistically speaking, most growers will max out their performance under HPS around 0.6 g/watt or so, so the increased efficiency is tremendous....

Why does he think it's unrealistic for someone to get more than .6g per watt with an HPS? I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say that.

Hey Irishboy,

Just wanted to say +Rep to you for this thread. You're keeping everyone on the edge of their seat! Looks like we're getting a bit off topic every now and then, but thanks for being so cool. Props man!

Done!

Hey Bux,

When I looked at it initially I just read through the results page and several posts to either side. Since then I went back and read through the entire thread (wow, that was a lot of reading!); my Spanish is a little rusty, but with a little refresh and the use of Google Translate, here's what he did:

(All were grown from long-used clones SOG-style, started under Metal Halide for veg, flowered exclusively with LED. Replaced his usual 600W HPS with two rectangular LED units (see below) over a 1m^2 (10.76 sq ft) garden area.)

First Grow (Harvest - July 14 2009)

Strain: White Russian
224W LED
381g total/224 = 1.7 g/watt
25 clones, avg 15g/clone
Finished in 66 days (about 2 days earlier than he's used to with HPS for this strain)

Second Grow (Harvest - Dec 3rd 2009)

Strain: Chronic
Finished in ~65-66 days (same flowering time as with his HPS grows)

Lighting: Had issues during flowering and had to adjust midway through, to wit:
Weeks 1-5: 224W LED
Weeks 5-7 (Day 36-50): 192W LED
Last two weeks: 242W LED

He's using two 112W (16 x 7 row) boards, they're called '120W' units but that includes fans - the actual 1W LED's are 224 total, according to Mr. X. Two rows (32w) dropped out of one unit, probably from a loose solder, on day 35; he ordered a 50W LED UFO to compensate. It arrived 14-15 days later and he finished with the good panel, the faulty panel, and the 50W UFO. (Will be sending the unit back to be fixed under warranty...)

Out of that, he pulled:

428g total
25 clones, avg 17g/clone

If you just average the three wattages he had during flower, you get ~215W, which gives you 1.99 g/watt.

Looking at the actual grow, the last two weeks didn't add all that much weight, it basically just ripened them; most of the weight was added over weeks 4-7. So, not really sure how you'd call this one; he was under 200W for the critical period during flowering.

A few of his pre-harvest pics (2nd run) are below:

Mr_X_63d_2nd_run_Chronic.jpg

Mr_X_63d_2nd_run_Chronic_2.jpg

Mr_X_63d_2nd_run_Chronic_Think_in_Purple.jpg

------------------------

Either way, that's pretty impressive, I'd say! If you read the notes, he mentions some high heat issues during his first grow, and wanting to try ~300W in the same space next time. But considering his LED yield vs. his old 600W HPS, he considers it a resounding success.

Mr. X says that with current LED lamps, one may come to expect 2g/watt in 'very optimistic' conditions, but it is 'complicated' (translation?), by which I think he means there are several factors to take into consideration.

He also mentions that, realistically speaking, most growers will max out their performance under HPS around 0.6 g/watt or so, so the increased efficiency is tremendous.

Some interesting discussion in the thread itself. Another LED user ('Gud') claims 'considerably' more resin under LED vs. his old HPS, whether from not burning the tops or due to spectrum...

------------------

It turns out some of the foreign language forums are among the most active for LED grows; can't link to it directly, but if you Googled 'Net', 'Cafe', and 'Cannabis', you'd probably find the forum in question...

Hope that helps!

Regards,

-TL

Wow where are those LEDs from? I knew my technique with SOG and LED was right but I dont think my LED could produce colas like that. Is it just some china fender?

i agree with you, screw what was claimed, that dosent help us led growers see what the better light is. i think what the fairest way to add up weight is to take the total weight of the blue dreams from each side and add them up to get total weight diff. i dont think its fair to add her Hindu skunk because its a big plant and the PS hindu never had a chance since its a runt. i think BD vs BD is what fair to compare each light. the the hindus own their own. thats how i am going to make up my mind at least, ill put all the weights up on each plant and everyone can add it up how the want. but i think its fair this way? i would love some feed back on this. the light diff is 30% i believe.

that seems like the fairest way to compare lights, you should still post the hindu just for fun but the comparison should come from the bd's. i bet you that led girl will twist the comparison to a way that will explain why hers is still better hahaha. she need to just quite ripping goulable stoners off with her claims

Hay irish it looks like a bigger % of the hairs on the HGL plant are darker if I compair BD#1 126w to BD#1 180w.. Am I see this correcty...Thanks for time and the pic's...

Back
Top Bottom