LED Jack Herer Experiment

Tokin Roll

Are you posting a journal on your Golden Tiger? I tried with mowi years ago but it lifted the entire frame off the ground crooked and looked like a multicar pileup crashed into a fence. The fence definitely lost! Would love to see how to do it right with an unruly sativa. Lambs bread should be rooted in a day or two so would love to fallow along with a similar plant.

I am using a SOGish lattice of jute cord. Because my clones start out with the lower branch curve like this ( one side is always fuller. I lay the top down under the SOG and the lower branches go strait up through. It helps with leveling out the canopy and provides support for the buds. So not really lollipop, SOG, scrog or any established method. Just gentile suggestions to the plant.

My goal was to get repeatable consistency for this grow. I know the 100wat Vipar light will be better than the 100wat DIY light but I want to quantify how much better. I give away most of what I grow to retired veterans on a fixed income. Several of them feel they are a burden no matter how much I tell them it is my pressure. I grew up in VFW hall and have known these guys since I was a kid. I am trying to find the cheapest setup with easy success. Had a guy grow a stick with a single 2 gram bud. He was so proud of his success. If they can grow enough Herer for there lung issues it will be a step towards self sufficiency and pride for them. I am still going to supplement herer if needed and grow the sativas for there PTSD. I use them for my own medical needs.

I've spent the last 6 months or so working on this. After this harvest I am donating the experimental equipment and all the instructions to them. They don't know but I cleared it with there wives. There failure could be devastating but success will go a long way.

Trimmed off some undergrowth and old fan leaves Tuesday. She hit 20 inches on Friday. Flipped the lights to 12/12. Res was 240 PPM ph 5.8 and 1 gallons low. Topped up the res with 1 gallon Flower nute. Haven't had time off to move her to the flower room and bigger res.

First picture is the original plant at 20 inches veg time comparison was within days.

first jack.jpg

20220211_191935.jpg

20220211_192028.jpg

48 hours latter in 12/12. She is always eager to get into flower.

Should have mentioned the lower branches still on her are not staying. I took clone cuttings but they have not rooted yet. I always leave a few extra on the plant just in case they don't root. They are my second chance at clones. For some reason I occasionally have problems getting clones to root. Normally in a few days I have roots out of the rockwool cube. Jamaican has been sitting for 2 weeks. I broke the stem on one putting the dome back on yesterday. Pulled it out of the cube and it had a single 1/4 inch long root. Same technique, same supplies, same temp, same humidity, and same strain but some just don't want to clone. Have no idea why.

20220213_123744.jpg

20220213_123921.jpg

I took clones last night and they were not loving the root riot i had it in and were almost all drooped and lame. The ones I put into shot glasses in water a week ago are happy as clams though. Go figure. How wet do you keep them in the rockwool?

The dome keeps the the cubes pretty moist. When I pulled the clone that I damaged I squeezed a teaspoon or two out of the cube before throwing it in the trash. I presoak the rockwood In ph water with 1/4 strength flower nutes. Scarify, cut, hormone dip then into the cube. Other than that, light misting the leaves every other day or so with a foliar dilution of kelp extract. Seed warmer mat under the tray. Dome stays 78 to 80 deg. The clones are still perky and deep green like before I cut them from the mother. Just no roots yet. I looked at my notes and I took those cuttings a month ago.

I clone two times every three months with my rotation schedule. Abought twice a year I get a plant that just takes for ever to root. The clones from other plants root just fine right next to them. just bugs me that I can't figure out why.

When I have and they have started to flower like that before cut, roots took forever for it to turn back to veg and start thinking about roots. 24 hr light doesn't sound bad, how much light are they getting?

The more I think about it, lighting is most likely the source of my inconsistency. I changed the environment without thinking about it. I normally set the domes in the veg room several feet from the lights. The viper is a beam not a flood so the clones are not getting as much light sitting off to the side. I switched the veg room to 12/12 for Jack since my clones are not ready. Of course they went into flower. I feel stupid now.

I built a cloning chamber years ago with fans, lights, and heaters that always worked well. The only difference with the domes I am currently using is they have no built in lights. My mother, mother-in-law, aunt, 2 uncles, and 2 sons are green house horticulturists. That cloning chamber gets barrowed a couple times a year including currently. Thinking back it has always been when I don't have the cloning chamber and the veg room is full of plants blocking the light.

When I took the Jamaican clones the mother was still in veg. The first Jack clones I took for this grow didn't make it. I set the clones out of the way while I cleaned and left them by the rooms fresh air intake vent. It was warm that day. That night it dropped to 5deg outside. They were chilled to 51 deg F. Had to take another cutting from the mother in week 2 of flower. That is why the first picture on here she was in full flower as a clone.

Got 3 inches of ice last night so I have a day off to reconfigure the rooms today.

Moved her and the light into the flowing room. She all but drained the 4 gallon in her old res. In flower I use a 20 gallon res but only start with 15 gallons of flower nutes. If she shows any deficiencies I can top up with appropriate nute mix without swinging PH or PPMs.

Not allot of new flower development, just longer stamens.
The next comparison is the stretch. This light has allot of blue spectrum. So far it has stretched an added 2 inches. The DIY lights totaled an average of 12 inches of stretch.

The clones are by themselves in the veg closet with 4 T8 fluorescents 2 foot away for the last 24 hours. The Lambs Bread has a few white dots of root emerging from the cube. The Jack clones aren't as happy with the change. They are a bit wilted. I turned off the seed mat now that the room is a constant 79deg. I am not setting up another zone and if they don't recover I still have undergrowth on the mother that needs to go.

20220218_165335.jpg

20220218_170213.jpg

20220218_170025.jpg

20220218_170525.jpg

I now have one healthy Jack Herer clone and one Lambs bread clone rooted. This weekend I can trim the undergrowth and move the clones into hydro. Staying with just one of each so I have room for a third genetic for restocking inventory. Running low on Thai and Mowi but Tokin Roll has got me thinking Golden Tiger may be a good solution.

She has only stretched to 26 inches tall and 36 inches wide. Res is stable with no change, 6.0 PH at 290PPM. My starting dechlorinated water is 110PPM. Of that 110 start 70PPMs are calcium and magnesium. buds are starting to fill in.

jacksidejpg.jpg

jacktopjpg.jpg

jackbuds.jpg

As a side comparison figured I would share bud pics of the lambsbread. One is the DIY and the other is the viparspectra. Vipar is the noticeably bigger and frostier bud.

lambviparjpg.jpg

lambDIY.jpg
Beautiful, excellent work @Sativa1970
You got to love the @ViparSpectra :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill

I threw a bigger P4000 Viparspectra into the mix along with my bigish qb's on the jack i'm growing now. It should be interesting to see how the outside edges fully flower vs the centers. Plants seem to love it. That comparison pic does tell a lot!

Didn't update last week due to a defectives data cord and not much to update. She drank down 5 gallons out of the res but PPM and PH were still at 300 and 6.0. Added 10 gallons to bring the res all the way to full. She finished her stretch from 20 inches to 34 inches. No change in stretch from the previous grows.

I grow this strain for the CBD and CBG not THC. Trichomes are developing nice heads with a few starting to turn a bit cloudy. In the next 1 to 2 weeks the trichomes will be fully clouded and the pistol tips will start to turn. That is when I harvest. Before the plant converts CBG into THC. I know, sacrilege to chop early but it fills the medical need better this way.

20220312.jpg

20220312jpg.jpg

20220312jbudpg.jpg

Time for an update. The rooms look dark and barren now. Everything was flushed last weekend and harvested during the week. Down to just two small clones for the moment. A Jack and a Jamaican.

She finished Wednesday, right at 5 weeks just like the previous grows. A member on here shared how to tell when to harvest for high CBG. Wish I could remember his name to give credit where due. The trichome pic is not great but the best I could do holding focus on a phone, microscope and bud, under a light. When the pistols just start to turn and the trichomes average to almost clouded you harvest if CBG is your goal.

She was a little tangled and tossed in the picture after pulling her out to get a better view.34 inches tall and 36 inches wide. I stripped all the fan leaves, chopped and hung. Next week trim and scale.

jacktrichjpg.jpg

220322jackready.jpg

220322jackbuzzed.jpg

20220322jack pistols.jpg

Time for an update. The rooms look dark and barren now. Everything was flushed last weekend and harvested during the week. Down to just two small clones for the moment. A Jack and a Jamaican.

She finished Wednesday, right at 5 weeks just like the previous grows. A member on here shared how to tell when to harvest for high CBG. Wish I could remember his name to give credit where due. The trichome pic is not great but the best I could do holding focus on a phone, microscope and bud, under a light. When the pistols just start to turn and the trichomes average to almost clouded you harvest if CBG is your goal.

She was a little tangled and tossed in the picture after pulling her out to get a better view.34 inches tall and 36 inches wide. I stripped all the fan leaves, chopped and hung. Next week trim and scale.

jacktrichjpg.jpg

220322jackready.jpg

220322jackbuzzed.jpg

20220322jack pistols.jpg
Hey @Sativa1970 Hope you are well my friend.
Is there a reason you are chopping so early.
She is weeks maby a month fom finishing.
There is nothing to harvest.

Stay safe
Bill

I
Hey @Sativa1970 Hope you are well my friend.
Is there a reason you are chopping so early.
She is weeks maby a month fom finishing.
There is nothing to harvest.

Stay safe
Bill
I know it is strange and I thought the same thing. I was talking to a member when I was growing the first batch of Jack herer. They had been making a cbg tinctures and said they had the best results when harvesting at vary early stage. The CBG breaks down as the THC increases.

I ran the first plant until it had a few amber. I gave it to the people with respiratory problems and migraines. It did help them.
On the second grow I took buds from weeks 4 through 9. Dried and cured them separately. Placed each week into color labeled bags for 4 different people. Had them try a different bag each day to find what worked best for them. They all said blue (week 5) worked best for there condition but it had almost no euphoria.

My wife used an asthma inhaler once or twice every day. My uncle had lung and throat cancer so 7 times a day for the last 2 years. My wife has used her inhaler one time since that harvest (covid infection) and my uncle dropped down to only needing his 2 or 3 times a day.

I know it goes against conventional growing but can't argue with the results. I get half the harvest but they use 75% less. 4 people using it every day and I am still sitting on 12oz cured.

Back
Top Bottom