Love Ganja's DIY Medicine Indoor Soil With Strain TBD - Virgin Grow Nov 2023

loVE GANja

420 Member
Good evening, everyone!

I’m new to the site so thank you for welcoming me and my journal.

About me

Now in my mid-40s, I built a career in the HealthTech industry. My cannabis use started in the mid-teens and saved me from PTSD-related suicidal depression. Without cannabis, my senses go into overdrive, and I feel ready to explode. The green medication shifts my energy away from the dumpster fire part of my brain.

America’s archaic attitudes and laws amplify the problem. For decades, I hid my medication use as a shameful secret which could trigger immediate job loss and family abandonment. When I looked myself in the face, I wondered… Is cannabis causing my problems like the therapist suggests? Am I a drug addict? Does my indifference to the laws prohibiting healthcare workers from cannabis at work make me an immoral person?

In my mid-30s, while questioning my worth as a human who consumes weed every hour, my PTSD became unmanageable. So, I stopped cannabis- thinking that it was the solution. Over four long years after stopping, my mental state deteriorated, and I started planning my death again. To outsiders, my life looked great and only the muzzle of my shotgun saw the depths of my wounded soul. Eventually, I decided I might as well smoke a joint before dying.

Holy ganja saved my life a second time. Since childhood, I tried dozens of pharmaceuticals, and only cannabis brings comfort to my soul. I now accept that PTSD will haunt me forever. Happiness is something I stopped chasing long ago. Now, I wake up daily to serve my community, do good, and help others. I know consuming a forbidden plant is okay if it gets me through the day.

Why I’m Here

420 and his magazine waged a social media campaign to spread cannabis awareness across the globe 30 years ago, long before Facebook and Instagram. Because of our cannabis crusaders, I have the privilege of registering for a government-sponsored medical marijuana card. The teenage me, who bought nickel bags of swag from the crack dealer, is awed by the safe medical grade kief available 5 minutes away without any robbery risks.

For years, I paid an average of $100 per week on medication. This cost buys small stale buds with questionable fertilizers & insecticides. The distributor probably upsold the choice nuggets and crystals. 420 Magazine and its grower community helped me recognize that I can DIY a higher-quality medication sustainably. Gardening is also a passion I developed during COVID. Why wait any longer to grow the plant I love the most?

The Challenge
Within the next month in my living room and a budget of $550, I will start a clone. My desire is to test if the average patient can afford and maintain their own supply. Over the coming weeks, I will start perusing 420 Magazine’s sponsor catalogues to select materials. I am staying organic and vegan. Please stay patient with me because my job keeps me very busy, though I will try to post once a week. Any advice you have is welcome! Thank you for letting me share.

Welcome to 420 Magazine :ciao: I am a frugal grower myself.
It is way better to grow your own

Yay!

I placed all the orders to start growing in the coming weeks. A sea of merchants and self-proclaimed experts makes shopping overwhelming. Thankfully, 420 Magazine provided all the direction I needed on its sponsor list.

Seeds

One of the biggest lessons from my research is the importance of seed selection. Although marijuana naturally proliferates under the sun, only an artisan breeder can produce cannabis cup-worthy seeds. Each strain has a unique heartiness, yield, medicinal effect, temperament, and lifecycle. So, breeders face the challenge of finding the right balance.

Seedsman Seeds attracted me with its shopping card sorting and filtering capabilities. They made it easy for a first-time indoor tent grower to understand the product. Then, the Cannabis Seeds section sucked me in with its master class nuggets of education strategically near the seeds where it is most useful. I got a great deal on 3x Dark Devil (Sweet Seeds) auto-feminized and 3x Do-Si-Dos (Royal Queen) auto-feminized using the 30% off sale posted on 420 Magazine a few days ago. And they even threw in 3x OG Kush (Seedsman) for free and emailed me a beautiful 100-page manual with step-by-step instructions on how to grow cannabis and manage common problems.

Lights, Tent, and Fan Combo

Selecting lighting from an oversaturated market is tricky. I struggled to make a decision before noticing that most of the products are also sold on Amazon. Strong user testimonials, ratings, and photos made Mars Hydro the clear frontrunner for me. They deserve extra kudos for bringing a nug contest to the Amazon marketplace.

Do not buy on Amazon, buy on the Mars Hydro website where prices are much lower. Since I am starting a budget grow, I ordered the Mars Hydro FC-E3000 LED Grow Light + 3.3’x3.3’ Complete Gow Tent Kit which includes everything necessary to start except the plant. It felt nice to checkout without additional fees for tax or shipping.

Fertilizer Combo
Last, I purchased a 5-Star Grow Kit from Sierra Natural Science, Inc. which was on sale. The kit includes natural and certified organic fertilizers and pesticides for all cannabis growing phases. As a vegan, I like Sierra Natural Science’s commitment to a safer environment for humans, animals, and the planet. SNS’s fertilizer descriptions do not include ingredients like bone meal or dried blood often found in formulations. I learned so much about cannabis cultivation from SNS’s site. One surprising lesson was about urine growing- a practice as old as man. Next week, I will test it on my succulents to see if the results are noticeable.

Next Time: Unboxing and Soil

While I’m waiting for the deliveries, my next step is to research soil composition and PH balancing. Thankfully, the three sponsors above provide a plethora of resources. Expect an update when I am ready for unboxing. Thank you for your support and please share anything you think might help!

Welcome to 420 Magazine :ciao: I am a frugal grower myself.
It is way better to grow your own
Thanks! Out of curiosity - will you share your estimated upfront costs and monthly maintenance and yields? It will be nice to have a benchmark. This is the first time I've gotten really excited about journaling - lol.

Welcome to 420 Magazine! Plenty of good peeps around here willing to share wisdom and gardening skills. I grow in Living Organic soil. I do use non-vegan amendments such as crustacean meal and insect frass, I also keep a worm bin and use the castings/vermicompost. What medium will you be growing in? Good Luck on your future grows!

:hookah:

You look pretty organized on paper, I am not
When it became legal in Canada I started with a 100 watt cree 3070 running @30 watts
just to see what leds could do compared to HPS

Costs are what you want to put into it, costs the price of a seed to plant outside.

5 years ago, leds were just coming on the market big time after the purple ones. I built my own lights Hard to compare with today's prices of mass produced led lights now

I don't write a lot of things down. I can tell you I use to pay $240 a month for weed & have not much choice. Now have too much & spend a tenth

Now I know what's in it or on it & have lots of choices. Electric is still within reason as I don't obsess about my environment I don't grow the biggest or best plants but everybody says it's better than store bought
Been smoking since the 80's & it gets me high as f**k

Cold Brewing by Brewster
In here are highlight of a winter & summer grow

Hey everyone! I’m waiting for a seed delivery and preparing my soil. But the Mars Hydro grow kit arrived right away, so I want to share an update.

PXL_20231011_214042705~2.jpg

The package is large and heavy.

Mars Hydro Grow Kit

So far, I am impressed with the Mars Hydro FC-E3000 3x3’ tent grow kit. Its price of $480 equals a one-month supply of medical grade cannabis from the store. Although, I bet you can find this product cheaper. Mars Hydro runs frequent sales which are different on Amazon and its website. Save money by watching the prices and buying when they drop.

Tent
Mars Hydro tent kits start at 2x2’ for under $300. However, I chose the 3x3’ kit because it includes better lighting. Also, more space means more plants.

PXL_20231012_055517699~2.jpg

Mars Hydro is a fitting name for this space capsule.

The tent is sturdy and well-crafted. Its long zipper gives easy access to roots on all sides. Multiple peep holes, vent openings, tie straps, and storage clips are strategically placed. Yet, most buyers will struggle with a faulty manual, which has illegible small print, missing details, and typos.

20231015_125456-COLLAGE.jpg

The instruction manual has serious quality issues.

Lights
Splurging for a larger 3x3’ tent seemed worthwhile for the Mars Hydro FC-E3000 LED lights. At 1000 umol/m2/s, half the full sun’s intensity, the FC-3000 maximizes plant growth with a high photosynthetic photon flux density (PPFD) to stimulate CO2 conversion. The full-spectrum bulbs have a high energy efficiency rating of 2.8 umol/j and includes dark red. I expect the 300w setup to raise my electricity bill by $70 per month at 18 hours per day for 50¢ per kWh. However, PGE loves to surprise me, so we see what they decide. I appreciate that the lights are dimmable, repositionable, expandable, and easy to hang.

PXL_20231014_022504141~15.jpg

Will this view make my plant babies happy?

Fan and accessories
The Mars Hydro fan and accessories seem average in quality. Even if they are not my preference, the fan and planter bags will work for my first grow. However, I am sourcing better meters and timers from Amazon.
PXL_20231012_025710156~3.jpg

Along with the tent, lights, and fan, the kit arrived with many accessories.

One item that seemed tacky and unnecessary was a large sheet of stickers. To test what others think, I put them at a bus stop after dark. They were gone after two bus passes, which proves they are not complete trash afterall.

PXL_20231012_030105383~2.jpg

Would you use these stickers?

Customer Service, Packaging, and Installation

Right after order submission, a Mars Hydro representative emailed me because they need a physical street address for delivery. I had given them a PO box because of the neighborhood porch pirates. Two days later, my shipment arrived. When I emailed thank you, they again responded promptly and courteously. Meanwhile, I’m still waiting for the orders of seed and fertilizer made the same day.

Even though Mars Hydro ensured their merchandise was secure for shipping, they did so with a lot of Styrofoam and single use plastic. After unboxing, half the shipment contents was merchandise, a quarter was recycling, and the remaining quarter went to landfill. Mars Hydro should commit to environmental sustainability.

PXL_20231012_023222940~2.jpg

Each package contained layers of Styrofoam and plastic wrapping.

The kit assembly was simple and took about an hour. Although, I sped through the process by skimming the instruction manuals. Disassembling, cleaning, disinfecting, and setting everything up again after each grow cycle seems completely manageable with the Mars Hydro system.

Only after completing a full plant lifecycle can I fully evaluate this tent system. So, we will see what happens. Crop quality depends on the lights. According to Dr. Bruce Bugbee, cannabis is the only plant which increases production with intensifying lights. Other plants plateau under the full sun, whereas hemp continues to grow. So, the final plant cola size will be the critical quality measure.

Screenshot_20231015-124009~3.png

Dr. Bugbee explaining the relationship between light intensity and cola size.

I set a goal of $550 for this grow. Below is a breakdown of my costs so far. As you can see, I am not good at sticking to a budget. In this case, I gave permission to set myself up for success. Next time, expect an update about my soil mixture, amendments, and seed germination.

Price Breakdown for loVE GANja's Virgin Grow

Seller
Product
Contents
Rationale
Price
Mars HydroGrow KitFC-E3000 LED lights, 3.3x3.3' tent, fan, and accessoriesAffordable, versatile high-intensity full-spectrum lighting. Kit is easy to adapt and clean.
$479.99​
AmazonPH MeterDigital meter suitable for soil and water with an extra probeThe soil must remain within optimal levels for the plant to thrive.
$ 59.99​
Seedsman SeedsDark Devil auto fem by Sweet Seeds3 seedsEasy to grow, well reviewed, strong medicinal effect, & prize-winning. Reportedly fun to grow because of its variety.
$ 27.72​
AmazonCO2 BagMycelium that produces enough CO2 to feed a 4x4' room for up to 3 monthsBoost yields.
$ 26.88​
AmazonSurge Protector with TimerSurge protected outlets- 4 with and 4 without digital timers.
$ 25.99​
AmazonHumidifier2.0L cool mistRegulate the air moisture.
$ 25.00​
Seedsman SeedsDo-So-Dos auto fem by Royal Queen3 seedsEasy to grow and well-reviewed.
$ 24.15​
Sierra Natural Organics5-Star Grow KitStarter kit of plant food, vitamins, and pesticideOrganic, natural, earth-friendly formulation to meet the cannabis plant's needs at every stage of the lifecycle.
$ 19.99​
Local shopPot guards6x 12 inch durable plastic traysCatch runoff to simplify clean-up.
$ 19.74​
AmazonFan6" clip-on, 2-speedSoil level air circulation enhances CO2 absorption & prevents diseases/pests.
$ 17.00​
AmazonLow stress training plant clips30 piecesHorizontal growth and even canopies increases yields.
$ 15.95​
Local shopCompost1 CFEnrich the soil.
$ 13.49​
Local shopCoconut Coir1 CFRetain water and promote soil drainage.
$ 13.49​
AmazonHygrometer thermometerDigital temp and humidity meter with notification alertsMeter with graphs and remote monitoring.
$ 11.99​
Local shopWatering Can2 gallon with detachable spout
$ 11.99​
local shopWorm castings8 QTEnrich the soil.
$ 10.99​
AmazonLiquid Silica1/2 pintFortify and moisturize the roots. A little goes a long way.
$ 9.99​
AmazonDurable Trellis NettingFor 3x3' tentHold up top-heavy plants.
$ 8.99​
Local shopPerlite8 QTImprove drainage and root aeration in the soil.
$ 8.99​
Local shopSeed Starting Pots22 x 3" organic biodegradable potsPromote stronger sprout root development.
$ 7.99​
Local shopHorticultural charcoal2 CT plant derivedRetain water, remove impurities, and reduce odors in the soil mix.
$ 7.99​
Local shop3 gallon planter2 x 8" round organic biodegradable planterExtra planters in case all 6 seeds sprout.
$ 7.98​
Local shopHorticultural sand2 QT organicPromote drainage in the soil mix.
$ 5.99​
TOTAL SPEND
$862.27

You look pretty organized on paper, I am not
When it became legal in Canada I started with a 100 watt cree 3070 running @30 watts
just to see what leds could do compared to HPS

Costs are what you want to put into it, costs the price of a seed to plant outside.

5 years ago, leds were just coming on the market big time after the purple ones. I built my own lights Hard to compare with today's prices of mass produced led lights now

I don't write a lot of things down. I can tell you I use to pay $240 a month for weed & have not much choice. Now have too much & spend a tenth

Now I know what's in it or on it & have lots of choices. Electric is still within reason as I don't obsess about my environment I don't grow the biggest or best plants but everybody says it's better than store bought
Been smoking since the 80's & it gets me high as f**k

Cold Brewing by Brewster
In here are highlight of a winter & summer grow
Thanks for the info! I'm impressed you built your own lights. The prospect of surplus weed is exciting and I can't wait to get high like I did on the swag weed the first time I tried it in the 90s.

Welcome to 420 Magazine! Plenty of good peeps around here willing to share wisdom and gardening skills. I grow in Living Organic soil. I do use non-vegan amendments such as crustacean meal and insect frass, I also keep a worm bin and use the castings/vermicompost. What medium will you be growing in? Good Luck on your future grows!

I love your name! I'm a lifer, too. I started veganism for the animals, stayed for the environment, and will continue for my health. Now I'm learning how much junk goes into cannabis soil and plants that I had no idea about.

For my medium, I'm planning to adapt Dr. Bugbee's classic soil mix because California banned vermiculite out of asbestos concerns. For my next journal entry, I will go into the details. Thank you for the warm welcome!

I like your name as well “Io vegan ja”… I became vegan for my health, the animals come second to that but become more important to me as time goes on. I am also in California. I use perlite for aeration, vermiculite helps the soil hold moisture. Rice hulls and pumice are also good amendments for aeration. I started in a 3’ x 3’ tent and still grow with 4 - 20 gallon pots of Living Organic soil in a approximate 3’ x 3’ space with great success. Check out my current journal, Link below. Tag me when you start your journal.

Happy growing!

Grow Plan for Indoor Autoflower Feminized Cannabis

Research Note
Dr. Bugbee’s Cornell SIPS Indoor Hemp Production seminar from 2022 provides a great introduction to the novice tent grower. In it, Bugbee condenses decades of agricultural research into simple hacks to maximize indoor hemp production. My grow plan combines Dr. Bugbee’s recommendations along with several seed trader sites like Seedsman and Royal Queen.

Auto-fem Cannabis
Because autoflower strains originate from colder climates with shorter days, they develop on a time interval. This contrasts warmer climate seeds that flower when light changes. Until recent years, autoflower’s inferior medical value made it unpopular. However, breeders have elevated the variety to a competitive level.

Autoflower’s simple life cycle makes it ideal for a virgin grower. The seed can deliver high yields quickly with relatively little understanding of lights and nutrients. Though, autoflowers are also susceptible to overfeeding. Indeed, most growfluencers recommend low and slow diets for autoflower, and to only feed when hungry.

Soil Mix
I am using Dr. Bugbee’s classic Cannabis soil recipe: 1-part vermiculite, 2-parts compost, 1-part coco coir, and ½ cup worm castings for each 4 gallons. Vermiculite is not available locally. Instead, I substituted 1-part perlite, 1-part horticultural sand, and 1-part garden char to help with drainage and water retention. My soil will not include other nutrient dense amendments because autoflowers are picky eaters.

Fertilizer
I will stick to the Sierra Natural Science diet because it is well reviewed and contains everything necessary. The only supplement I will add to weekly feeding is liquid soluble silica. According to Dr. Bugbee, indoor soil lacks the silica that strengthens cell walls and provides disease resistance in outdoor soil. To increase hardiness, indoor growers must add silica.

1697910415365.jpeg

Sierra Natural Science packages all the nutrients necessary for a grow cycle in its 5-star kit.

1697909737833.png

Dr. Bugbee describes how silica fortifies the plant’s cell wall like a rhinoceros to form an impenetrable defense, unlike the spindly cell on the right.

Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
Another lesson from Dr. Bugbee is about carbon dioxide (CO2). When hemp growers push their crop with bright lights, the plants need more CO2 for photosynthesis. Bugbee cautions that indoor plants will suffocate if you push them without enough CO2. To boost my indoor environment, I am hanging a mycelium bag above the lights so they drop air down for my babies to breathe.

1697909075509.jpeg

CO2 is heavier than oxygen, so the mycelium bag should hang above the leaves with adequate circulation.

Training
One of the simplest methods to increase yield is training. Hemp branches naturally grow upright with a central cola. Spreading the branches out wide increases circulation and light absorption, nurturing many large colas. I will test low-stress training clips to spread my ladies. Because training throws off the plant’s center of gravity, I am using a scrog net to support top heaviness (🤞).

1697908997061.png

Low-stress training (bending and cutting branches) increases cola yield.

1697908950940.png

Amazon markets several plant training solutions.

Germination
The Seedsman order arrived on Monday (10/16) and already I have 6 plant babies! They will relax under diffuse direct window sunlight until I see enough green to know their roots are strong enough to handle bright Mars Hydro lights. Then, they will head into the tent.

1697908904515.jpeg

The seeds arrived from Seedsman in fancy commercial packaging. Sweet Seeds even added an extra Dark Devel Auto for free. I soaked the seeds and soil in 1-part hydrogen peroxide and 2-parts water to sanitize and aerate them.

October 18, 2023 – 2 days after seed arrival
Say hello to my beautiful babies:

Queen (Dark Devil) made a grand entrance and is absolutely demure.

Spike (Dark Devil) came out on day two, but her growth stalled after germination. She’s back in the nursery while we pray for recovery.

Junior (Dark Devil) looked like the runt of the litter on day 2, but is standing tall and erect now.

October 19, 2023 – 3 days after seed arrival

Shy Mariah (Dark Devil) was not ready to show her face yet on day three.

On the third day, Samantha (Dosidos) arrived with a curtsy, exposing her delicate red neck.

Carmella (Dosidos) was the only baby who seemed petulant after sprouting on day three.

Day 14
420 Magazine’s sponsors delivered. All seven seeds from Seedsman sprouted- even Spike, whose growth stunted for a couple of days after germination. The internet gives a lot of conflicting information about ideal environmental conditions for growing cannabis. Initially, I followed guidance to ease the plant babies into the tent. Instead, my little suckers came out screaming for tough love. I’m learning that because cannabis seeds originate from every region of the globe, each strain has unique needs. So, maybe someone else's babies might like the coddling treatment.

Tent Woes
My sprouts started off leggy and top-heavy after germination- not in a good way. They toppled over and turned away from the light. To toughen them up, I topped them with more seed soil and staked the stems. In retrospect, I believe the problem was all environmental.

A small room with a tentDescription automatically generated with medium confidence

The thing now lives in the garage because it is too loud and hot in the house.

Not the Good Kind of Hot
Cognizant that electronics generate heat, I installed the Mars Hydro light control and a fan outside of the tent. Still, unzipping the door felt like stepping into a sauna and the temperature was stressing the plants. When I checked at midday, temperatures peaked at over 90 degrees. The Mars Hydro inline duct fan did not help, even after adding several circular fans inside the tent.

Environmental Improvements
Instead of spending more money, I moved the tent into the garage where it gets more airflow. Then, instead of pointing the fans toward the plants, I directed them at the light to diffuse heat. Finally, the most effective intervention was setting a fan atop the tent to push in air. The robust circulation effectively limits overheating. Honestly, the grow kit had to move into the garage anyway because it is too loud in the house.

A black kettle on a black surfaceDescription automatically generated

A $20 fan from Target atop the tent provides better air circulation than the Mars Hydro inline fan.

Thirst For Light
Second, my sprouts were leggy and top heavy because they were hungry. I used online misinformation to gently nurture cannabis sprouts until developing enough strength for transplantation. Instead, my babies broke through the seed ravenous. I decided to crank my Mars Hydro FC-E3000 intensity from 25 to 75% then lower it from 20” to 12” above the plant canopy. Overnight, the sprouts doubled in size and started supporting their own weight.

A collage of a plantDescription automatically generated

Junior from Saturday to Sunday and Monday. On Saturday, Junior was toppling over. Now, with higher-intensity light, Junior’s size is doubling by the day.

A Note About Feeding and Measurements
I’m discovering that each of my plants has its own feeding requirements depending on its size and placement in the tent. For example, the plants furthest away from the fans dry out faster and more. Therefore, I’m sticking my finger in the soil to decide when to feed the Sierra Natural Science nutrient-enriched water. Right now, I’m adding approximately 2-3 cups per pot per day. Because the root system is still shallow, I want to keep the upper soil level moist enough to endure 8 hours of intense light and circulation at a time.

To simplify documentation, I am only noting measurements outside of the normal range. Although I regularly test other environmental factors like pH, air humidity, and soil moisture, they are unremarkable. As I’m getting ready to post this journal, I peeked at the plants 6-hours after the photoshoot below and they doubled in size again. I pray that I am on my way to a bountiful crop.

The Next Step
My lights follow the PGE energy efficiency schedule with power from 12 AM to 3 PM daily. Around 9 PM and 7 AM each morning, I check the plants and feed them as necessary. Over the next week, I will increase the Sierra Natural Science nutrient mix from germination to grow.

Day 14 Photoshoot

A plant in a potDescription automatically generated

Junior (Dark Devil autofem by Sweet Seeds) started as the runt but is now the biggest, day 14.

I think Mariah (Dark Devil autofem by Sweet Seeds), day 14, is pouting because she was too far off to the side away from the light.

A plant growing in a potDescription automatically generated

Carmella (Dosidos autofem by Royal Queen), day 14

A small plant in a potDescription automatically generated

Queen (Dark Devil autofem by Sweet Seeds), day 14, was with Mariah in the corner away from the light. Next time, everyone gets equal treatment.

A small green plant in dirtDescription automatically generated

Samantha (Dosidos autofem by Royal Queen) is a stunner, day 14.

Betty (Dosidos autofem by Royal Queen), day 14

We almost held a funeral for Spike (Dark Devil autofem by Sweet Seeds), who made a comeback, day 14.

I like your name as well “Io vegan ja”… I became vegan for my health, the animals come second to that but become more important to me as time goes on. I am also in California. I use perlite for aeration, vermiculite helps the soil hold moisture. Rice hulls and pumice are also good amendments for aeration. I started in a 3’ x 3’ tent and still grow with 4 - 20 gallon pots of Living Organic soil in a approximate 3’ x 3’ space with great success. Check out my current journal, Link below. Tag me when you start your journal.

Happy growing!

Thanks so much for the friendly advice! I peeked at your set up and you seem legit. I'll tag and read it when I have more time. When I started this hobby, I didn't realize how much time it would take in the beginning. Hopefully the plants will need less attention as time passes. Happy gardening and halloween!
:volcano-smiley::passitleft:

Thanks so much for the friendly advice! I peeked at your set up and you seem legit. I'll tag and read it when I have more time. When I started this hobby, I didn't realize how much time it would take in the beginning. Hopefully the plants will need less attention as time passes. Happy gardening and halloween!
:volcano-smiley::passitleft:
It is definitely a labor of love! And you get bud at the end, Bonus!!! Autoflowers are great, I have real good luck with them. I completed my last harvest beginning of September, 4 Auto's yielded 24 ounces of dry bud. Great to see you are off and growing! Happy Halloween!!! Pic below from my last grow, Sour Apple x Mint Jelly Autoflower from Humboldt seed Co.

🧟‍♂️ :passitleft:🧟‍♀️

Bigger Every Time I Look
Thank you, 420 Magazine and its sponsors! I am so happy with my Mars Hydro grow tent kit, Seedsman Seeds, and Sierra Natural Science plant nutrition. So far, they exceed my expectations.

The FC-E3000 lights are the set-up’s MVP and stay on from 12 AM – 3 PM to match the PGE energy saver schedule. Also, the tent seals in the light. Fully cinched, no beams escape from it. However, the plants need circulation so some light leakage is necessary.

What I like most about the Mars Hydro kit are the custom set-up options. At first, my tent topped 90 degrees even with the inline duct and multiple other fans. The two strategies that managed the heat have been installing electronics outside of the tent and laying a fan atop the tent to push in air (see my last post for a picture). Now all of my plants are thriving.

1699114933755.jpeg

My grow tent hides from the neighbors behind a privacy screen in the garage.

1699114911911.jpeg

Without the privacy screen, the tent screams green gold to neighborhood thieves.

1699114874727.jpeg

Installing electronics outside the tent reduces interior heat.

Seedsman Seeds
Seedsman Seeds are certifiably fresh. All seven of their seeds sprouted within 2 days. One seed stunted early because I did not recognize its hunger for bright lights. After cranking up the μmols, every seven of my babies are doubling in size every couple of days.

I plan to order a dry pouch of everything in the 5-Star Grow Kit because of its tremendous results. My supply on hand should last a few more weeks except the Sierra Natural Science 209 Systemic Pest Control which will run out soon. Not only do my plants look well-fed, but I have not seen any trace of bugs. Indeed, this is my first experience with perpetually moist indoor soil without fungus gnats.

Day 18 Photoshoot

Queen (Dark Devil Auto, Sweet Seeds), day 18

Samantha (Dosidos Auto, Royal Queen), day 18

Spike (Dark Devil Auto by Sweet Seeds), day 18

Carmella (Dosidos Auto, Royal Queen), day 18

Junior (Dark Devil Auto by Sweet Seeds), day 18

Betty (Dosidos Auto, Royal Queen) has yellowing on the older leaves, day 18. Is it from the initial trauma when I mismanaged the tent?

Mariah (Dark Devil Auto by Sweet Seeds), day 18

The Family

Stretching, Trimming, and Topping

Since the last week, my plants doubled in growth every day. The stems are sturdy with little space between the nodes. And clusters of baby leaves are unraveling beneath each fan leaf. Thank you, Seedsman Seed, for guiding me to the best genetics to match my skill set.

Too Much Bush?

Dense green cannabis proliferation is always welcome in my tent. However, when I compare mine to other week 3 pics on 420 Magazine, mine look chunkier. The likely reason is that I’m following a Mars Hydro recommendation to hover my FC-E3000 bulbs 8 inches above the plant canopy because they have higher resistance to light burn. So, is it possible to have too much bush?

For once, the internet voices agree that tight foliage signals a sticky crop. Where they disagree is how to proceed. Many say to let autos grow naturally because too much stress will stunt development. They especially caution new growers against roughing up autos because of the short window when they can tolerate stress before flowering.

Super Bush Hazards: Larf and Bud Rot

Natural growth is, well, natural and normal. However, letting the bush grow abundantly also poses risks. The first is larf or fluffy underdeveloped buds. Larf is normal at the plant base because the canopy blocks its light. Unfortunately, when the vegetation is too tight on top, leaves can block light from the buds and cause the whole yield to become larfy.

The second danger of a tangled crop is rot. Already, the tent environment is prone to mold without adequate ventilation because of high temperature and humidity. Compact bundles of leaves around the flowers will increase the likelihood of bud rot. Adequate light and circulation are both necessary for each bud to thrive.

Training

To give my ladies the best advantage, I decided to train them. First, I tried using low-stress training clips, which failed because they are not designed for super-bushy growth (more about this later). Then I tied down the branches to encourage horizontal growth, but it was not enough. The fan leaves kept eclipsing the developing buds. So, I took the gamble of lollipopping and topping the girls. Lollipopping means trimming growth near the plant’s base and topping means snipping the tip to encourage a double shoot. Even though I just finished training them, all my girls are back to rapid development.

The plants doubled in size every day.
Carmella (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen)
11/06/23 – day 20 (above) & 11/08/23 – day 22 (below)

I can’t fit a finger between the branch nodes.
Thick, 11/07/23 - day 21

The first time, I removed leaves with less than 7 tips from the bottom.
First defoliation, 11/09/23 – day 23

Then I went back to remove the leaves missing 7 tips from the lower middle.
Second defoliation, 11/10/23 – day 24

The clips do not work well for a super bushy plant because it crushes leaves without space between the nodes. The tie-down method works better and gives more control.
Plant clip review

Week 4 Photoshoot

Betty (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen)

Remember Betty’s ailment from last week? It didn’t go away on its own, so Royal Queen Seeds helped me to diagnose a nitrogen deficiency. In retrospect, I should have started the Sierra Natural Science blend for the grow phase earlier instead of following the chart. My seeds developed early, germinating within 2 days and entering the vegetative stage before the second week.
Betty (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen) with a nitrogen deficiency, 11/06/23 – day 20

Betty (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen) before the training. Her nitrogen deficiency was already clearing up after switching to the SNS growth formulation and topping the soil with worm castings.
Betty (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/08/23 – day 22

I could not resist topping her because she spread out and made it too easy.
Betty (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/09/23 – day 23

After.
Betty (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/11/23 – day 24​

Before.
Carmella (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/08/23 – day 22

Topping.
Carmella (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/09/23 – day 23

I wanted to see how much stress Carmella could take and she recovered quickly.
Carmella (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/09/23 – day 23 (left) & 11/10/23 – day 24 (right)

After.
Carmella (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/11/23 – day 25​

Junior (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds)

Before.
Junior (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/08/23 – day 22

Topping.
Junior (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/10/23 – day 24

After.
Junior (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/11/23 – day 25​

Mariah (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds)

Before.
Mariah (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/08/23 – day 22

Topping.
Mariah (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/10/23 – day 24

After.
Mariah (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/11/23 – day 25​

Queen (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds)

Before.
Queen (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/08/23 – day 22

Topping.
Queen (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/10/23 – day 24

After.
Queen (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/11/23 – day 25​

Samantha (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen)

Before.
Samantha (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/08/23 – day 22

Topping.
Samantha (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/09/23 – day 23

After.
Samantha (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), 11/11/23 – day 25​

Spike (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds)

Before.
Spike (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/08/23 – day 22

Topping.
Spike (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/10/23 – day 24

After.
Spike (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), 11/11/23 – day 25​

The Family

Natural growth.
11/08/23 – day 22

After LST, topping, and lollipopping.
11/11/23 – day 25​

Week 4: Heading Into Preflower

Over the last couple of weeks, I broke every online rule for the novice autoflower cannabis grower. I topped, sometimes twice. I couldn’t stop myself from heavy defoliation and still trim every day. Also, long after their prime, my ladies are manifolding. No doubt that Mars Hydro FC-E3000 deserves credit for ample photosynthesis energy. And now, I am giving the girls a reverse lollipop – maybe something I made up?

Lollipopping means removing the bottom third branches where the sun doesn’t shine, Instead, I am trimming from the top to pass light for a bottom-heavy plant. With heavy defoliation, low-stress training (LST), and daily 90-degree rotation, every bud site in my tent basks under light. Even with the abuse, Seedsman Seeds’ babies are growing strong every day. If these plants survive my torture tent, I will harvest one node at a time from the top to give the bottom flowers extra blossoming time without interference if necessary.

No More Bush

Since my last entry, I trimmed my plants daily to remove all leaves blocking light from bud sites. To prevent branches from covering each other, I am spiraling them out. Now, the weeds look more like trees.

Watering and Nutrition

In week 3, when investigating Betty’s leaf discoloration, I stuck my finger knuckle deep into the soil after watering to discover it was dry. Water was not penetrating deep but was instead running off the top over the sides. Dry soil can become hydrophobic, repelling water. To fix this problem, I dripped water on the plants for several hours, one cup at a time. Nobody has hours for slow watering, so I have a drip irrigation system arriving next week.

While vegging, each girl drinks at least a liter every other day. With the Sierra Natural Science 5-Star grow formula at full strength, the leaves started darkening. To prevent overfeeding, I now only use 1/3 of the nutrients. To offset the change in pH, I’m adding seaweed juice to lower it to 6.5 which adds easily digestible trace minerals. Plus, I still supplement liquid silica to strengthen the roots.

First Month of Grow

Betty, Carmella, Junior, Mariah, Samantha, Spike, and Queen are all 33 days old today. To celebrate their first half of life, we will take a quick walk down memory lane.

Betty (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), days 1-33

Carmella (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), days 1-33

Junior (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), days 1-33

Mariah (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), days 1-33

Samantha (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), days 1-33

Spike (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), days 1-33

Queen (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), days 1-33

The Family, days 1-33

Day 33 From Seed Photoshoot
Betty (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), day 33

Carmella (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), day 33

Junior (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), day 33

Mariah (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), day 33

Samantha (Dosidos auto by Royal Queen), day 33

Spike (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), day 33

Queen (Dark Devil auto by Sweet Seeds), day 33

The Family, day 33

Week 5: Giving Thanks

In 1994, as a 17-year-old spending the night in jail for cannabis residue possession, I never imagined the freedom that I have today. Thank you, 420 Magazine, @420 and the activist community for pushing marijuana legalization across the globe. Buying marijuana seeds online from Seedsman and inviting city inspectors near my garden for Tesla charger permitting seemed impossible, even in my wildest dreams. Yet, it is a normal day of 2023 life in the Bay Area.

While a lot could be better, like the world conflicts, national instability, social-media clickbait culture, and the pandemic, I am grateful to wake up each morning to the glorious life, light, and hope radiating from my Mars Hydro tent kit. When the world struggles to find peace, I have 3x3 square feet in my garage.

Over Stretching

This week, the plants became tired of stretching, and I removed their ties. The heaviness from growing buds combined with LST started weakening the stems. Now, my goal is to support the stems to carry a heavy load. So, I will install trellises over the next week. This way, the babies can direct energy to the bud instead of fortifying the branches.

pH and Watering Mishaps

Mid-watering, my digital pH meter ran out of a rare-sized battery unavailable at local stores. Out of desperation, I purchased a test kit from the gardening center only to discover it was unreliable. Now, I’m using feminine aisle strips from the pharmacy measuring between 4.5 - 6. So, I’m not confident my pH is on point.

Also, the drip irrigation system does not calibrate to each plant’s unique feeding and watering needs. I am still using the Sierra Natural Science 5-star grow solution at 1/3 strength, but the smaller plants need a little less. As a result, I am still hand watering. My hope is to solve these kinks by next week without inconveniencing the ladies.

Week 5, Day 38 Photoshoot

The Family

Week 6: Nute Burn and Trichs
Blackstrap Molasses and Yarrow Tea

I’m glad that nobody reads my journal so I can try experimental techniques without any peanut gallery. After Thanksgiving, my plants looked dry even after watering. So I fed my plants blackstrap molasses and yarrow tea after reading a Royal Queen Seeds blog post. Two hours later, every node started unraveling new leaves.

24 hours after teatime, the stretch was obvious.

Nute Burn

I got too excited after seeing tremendous growth and fed the girls more tea with their weekly feeding. The combination was too much, and the stretching stopped. Now they are stunted and just drinking water with a little fresh aloe pulp until they start stretching again. Hopefully, I didn’t cause too much stress at the start of flowering. Although, these girls are proving resilient.

Week 6 Photoshoot: Trichomes

Even with high stress training, extreme defoliation, and overwatering, the Seedsman Seeds are still producing fat buds. This week, a few of the dark devil autos even started showing their shine.

The Family

Larf Shot

Back
Top Bottom