MaggiesFarm - 1st Grow - Soil - Indoor/Outdoor - Nirvana Freebies - 2014

Well, the topping went OK this morning. I chopped quite a bit off of both plants, mainly due to the crazy stretch and length between nodes they had going. I don't know how well the cloning will go. I just received my free small grow box I won on another site. It is being set up as a clone box for now. I'll get pics of that once it's going and the clones are inside.

Before and After Pics of FTB-01 and FTB-02 this morning.

FTB-01 Before
CAM001492.jpg

FTB-01 After
CAM001502.jpg

FTB-02 Before
CAM001474.jpg

FTB-02 After
CAM001482.jpg

I didn't take off the big stretch on FTB-02...just couldn't bring myself to lop of that much. I'm going to try some other training stuff with it, maybe some supercropping. These first two freebies are for some experimenting.

Is it normal for a new cloned branch to sort of wilt after you stick it into its rooting plug? I soaked the Rapid Rooters in distilled water overnight, cut the stem at a 45 degree angle, peeled the stem covering back and applied the Clonex, and stuck it in the Rapid Rooter.
Clones are outside under a dome until the clone box is ready later today. Both have wilted.

your clones didnt make it? you have to be extremely gentle with clones. water can not be to cold or to hot, you dont want to bend them at all, and i always bury my clones about 3/4 of the stem sometimes all the way up to the bottom of the first node sticking out on the clone. you also dont want your cube to be to soaked..

were you using a clone machine ? or just soil cubes and hand misting them?

our main volunteer uses one of those big 20 gallon clone totes that makes 30-50 clones. its a mister inside the tank so he doesnt need to address them at all. i like my method, im a hands on guy and i am with my girls at least twice a day. i have had them sag on me before when first planting them, i would stick a bamboo stick inside the cube ur using and ziptie the plant to it (not tight) to help it stand up. you dont want the roots getting any air as this will kill the roots.

Tonight i will have my fiance video tape me taking a clone. i will have it posted on here tomorrow for you hoping it helps you. is there anything in particular you want me to go into detail about? i will try and be as detailed as possible.

20140621_095402.jpg
20140519_211311.jpg

notice the top picture you see a node (fan leaf) at the soil level.. i buried this plant all the way up to that point to give it the strength to stand on its own.

(being an old landscaper at the age of 24) im aware of (weakening) a "Tree" by burying to much of the trunk with soil. it allows for pests to make that tree its home as it is weak. (i cant give you much info on how and why it does this but it does) i figured it was the same for marijuana plants as well until i met a older grower (few years older then i) and he showed me it doesnt matter what you do to these plants, they will come back if you love them. these plants that i bury up to the bottom node point are healthy and bush then normal. i always trim and top them anyhow but to start off looking like that top clone i love to see any day of the week.

The water could have been too warm. It had been sitting outside in a plastic bottle over night. It was fairly early when I snipped them. I was not using any type of clone machine, just Rapid rooter plugs that had been soaking in distilled water. I squeezed out the excess water before sticking the stem in. It wasn't sticking out the other end. I placed the rooter plug into a small plastic cup. I misted them and put them under a dome. They looked pretty sad before I got the dome on them.

I've got a very small hydro unit that came in the grow box I won. Could I use that for clones and seedlings? I guess I could use a Rapid rooter plug in one of the pot and then bury the plug when the roots start to show. Am I on the right track?

Looking forward to the video, Gf!

I had a lot of issues with clones. I think that my water was too cold. I tried clonex with no luck at all, turns out you don't ever want to put clones into the gel bottle. It contaminates the entire lot... So once I learned that I went and got some dip n' grow. I was told that you can pretty much root a 2x4 with this stuff. Also added superthrive to the water, and used an aero cloner. It took me forever, but they made it, 3 out of 4 looking great right now. 4th not so hot, but I think she's pulling through.

My first set of clones I tried dipping into the clonex and then put them into soil, under a humidity dome and sprayed them twice a day. They all died... That's when I decieded to get the aero cloner. I guess I still have a lot to learn about them, but I made a successful run so I'm happy lol. But I was told they should be well rooted in 5 days or so. Somewhat dependent on the strain for how long it will take.

I cut my 45° angles under water, so that I didn't get an air embolism, and split up the center ~1/2" and then scrapped the bottom 1" of the stem. I hear some say not to split and others say split... Idk, I guess it's a personal preference?

Is there a recommended water temp for cloning? I haven't found any info saying one way or the other.

20140526_233436.jpg

that rectangle transparent lid is my rigged cloner... nothing fancy at all (literally two jiffy tubes taped together with the bottom of the top one cut out so i can have a little taller clones.

you dont want any air hitting your clones at all, some will say with the aero pots you dont need a dome. well the other volunteer has a 50% death ratio with his clones, i havent lost one clone out of 27 so far.

all those but one is from clone too , that being the far back right one that is trimmed up and topped in this pic

Sorry for the very late pop, the week was a crazy one, but i see invasion turns your week weird too :ganjamon:

the first pic of last update is so symmetric :) looks like and add.

Good luck

friendly

T.

CO Finest has multiple cloning videos. Check him out on you tube. Has tons of vids for just about everything you need. Practice cloning and you will find a method that works for you. Good Luck my friend.

Shadow, I've been doing a lot of studying up on cloning since the clone failure. I'll check out COF's vids for sure. Thanks for the tip!

Gonna start some LST on the girls(?) this afternoon. Pics coming soon.

Hey MaggiesFarm,

Did you top with the reason of cloning? Just curious as my last 3 I inadvertently topped one and fimmed the other 2. Boy what a difference there was.

Maui

just set up my youtube channel, but i also got my mars 2 today. so tonight will be a busy one, will record my opening of mars 2 as my first video, and will follow it up with my cloning method. As Shadow mentioned, watching other growers is how i got my method. you will find not one persons method works for you, but several combined will work. everything i know goes to several different growers over several years. Watch, Read, Do, Learn.

I&i

Hey MaggiesFarm,

Did you top with the reason of cloning? Just curious as my last 3 I inadvertently topped one and fimmed the other 2. Boy what a difference there was.

Maui

I topped them intentionally to get them to bush out a little. I was trying to clone the tops so I could put them in 12/12 to determine sex. LST was going to start yesterday, but I felt horrible when I got home from work so had to put it off until this afternoon.

just set up my youtube channel, but i also got my mars 2 today. so tonight will be a busy one, will record my opening of mars 2 as my first video, and will follow it up with my cloning method. As Shadow mentioned, watching other growers is how i got my method. you will find not one persons method works for you, but several combined will work. everything i know goes to several different growers over several years. Watch, Read, Do, Learn.

I&i

Gf, I love watching and learning from successful growers. It sure speeds up the learning curve. TIA for the videos!

Yeah, I'd still be using soil instead of ProMix were it not for suggestions from other growers. This method, along with the Growology nutrients, will give me complete control over the growth of the plants and I know the roots are gonna LOVE the added available oxygen. This site is beyond cool, I can't find the words to explain myself, but OUTSTANDING comes to mind!

:thumb: :420:

Chin, neither hydro shop here carries ProMix. Is Sunshine#4 close to the same thing? I guess I could order the ProMix in. Which ProMix are you using?

Seeing what Dennise and others are doing with the Growology system makes me want to start leaning that direction.

something i forgot to mention and i havent seen mentioned. is that when taking clones it seems the higher up the cutting on the plant is the harder it is to cut. i cant not recall where i read this from but im sure google could point us in the dirrections. and tonight ill take a small video clip of the 9 clones i took two days ago so you can see what i mean. 6 of my clones (from the bottom of nycd) are doing great, standing up strong. 3 of the clones (from top of grape apes) are sagging a little. not enough for me to pull them as ive had clones sag before, i mist them and their dome, after a couple to few days of that they are standing back up. u just have to help them stand up in the mean time. greatest thing about clones, is if you are a (cant keep your hands off your ladys) kind of gardener like myself, you will do so much training and pruning in the near future for your own ladys that you have the chance to make as many clones as you want. i was always to scared to cut my ladys, being around other gardeners for a few years watching them (with no problem) chop their ladys up and bend them around helped.

tonight im going to have the fiance help me record a video, i took 9 clones a day and a night ago but the video was to long with not enough information to help. so i still have it saved and will record a new one tonight just taking a clone or two. out of the two i should be able to chop something together. today on my free time i guess ill try and make a intro to my video..

I&i

Gf, I'm looking forward to your vids.

Yesterday afternoon I watered the girls(?) with 1 gal distilled water and 5ml CaMg+. I also started some LST. The heat has been bothering me the last few days so I didn't get any pics. I'll try to do that this afternoon. I've got 5 days off starting tomorrow, so I may pop my Bubblelicious auto fems. I'd like to get that grow done outside, too.

o man, days off are amazing. few and far between. think in 7 months now i have had 18 days off? i dont know i stopped counting. i will get videos up as soon as possible. but i dont want to just throw a unedited 30 min long video up as i could right now of me cloning. i just got the film i wanted to make the loop in the beginning of my videos, i always liked how "the union" opens their movie up. hoping to get a video up within the next two days. in the mean time other growers on youtube have great methods of cloning as well. i cant tell you how many hours i have of research and watching. main volunteer just seen the 15 clones i brought to the shop and decided hes going to get me a 120 cloner machine. never used one of these so will be another method i will video tape in the future.

I&i

Back
Top Bottom