Making Gummies Question Efficiently

Doctor Trevor

Today was my second or third bout with making gummies (raspberry flavored).

I'm concerned with the unusable leftovers. There seems to be a lot (see delicious photos). Any tips on how to reduce the left over?
EDIBLE1.jpg
297030460_5360573490655743_3636526901960161395_n (1).jpg

Spatula and an appetite?

Hi Doc. You might try using a different pot that isn’t so wide bottomed. I make mine in a small pot using a silicone whisk and spatula, and then pour them directly into a squeeze bottle to fill the molds. The stuff is super hot when I do that so I’m able to squeegee most of the mixture from the pot into the bottle with the silicone spatula. My loss usually happens when I squirt them into the molds…but I’ve learned to start with the big ones first. :cheesygrinsmiley: What is your recipe?

I use the recipe from the MBM cookbook:
1 cup of tincture;
12 ounces raspberry jello;
2.5 ounces unflavored jello;
1 cup mango juice;
2 oz honey;
.5 tb tartaric acid;
.5 mango flavoring.

Reduce the tincture over low heat, stirring regularly. Add fruit juice. Stir and heat until thick.

Mix the rest together and let it bloom.

Mix all together in pan 7-10 on medium/low heat for ten minutes.

Put into molds.

I like the squeeze bottle idea...

I use the recipe from the MBM cookbook:
1 cup of tincture;
12 ounces raspberry jello;
2.5 ounces unflavored jello;
1 cup mango juice;
2 oz honey;
.5 tb tartaric acid;
.5 mango flavoring.

Reduce the tincture over low heat, stirring regularly. Add fruit juice. Stir and heat until thick.

Mix the rest together and let it bloom.

Mix all together in pan 7-10 on medium/low heat for ten minutes.

Put into molds.

I like the squeeze bottle idea...
There is a much easier, less ingredient, potentially better(?) recipe floating around here. Lemme find it for you.

This is the recipe I started with (from @Carcass):
You'll need:
1 pkg sugar free jello mix (0.6 oz size)
1pkg regular (with sugar) jello mix (3 oz size)
2 packets plain gelatin
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup infused oil

Put all the dry ingredients in a pan, add the water and corn syrup.

Heat it on medium heat,stirring constantly,till it just starts to boil around the edges.

All the powdered stuff should be well dissolved before adding the oil...

Add the oil and keep stirring till it just starts to boil again,then remove from the heat.

At this point,you're gonna say "this shit aint working-the oil is just floating on top"

So, to remedy this, you keep stirring while the mixture cools just a little- as it cools it will thicken up a bit,
and the oil will start to mix in- this is what you want.
Once all the oil is mixed in, it's time to make some gummies...

Now, you need to hurry just a little so it doesn't set up before you get it into the molds.

Pour the mix into a squirt bottle (put a glove on,it's hot) , fill your gummy molds,and stick them in the freezer.
I make an alcohol tincture in the MBM and I flip the water and infused oil amounts because I think the alcohol based tincture is stronger. I've made the recipe over and over and have also made it per instructions with olive oil and coco based infusions. It's a solid recipe I believe created by @Carcass. Good luck!

It's a solid recipe I believe created by @Carcass. Good luck!
Thanks for the mention, Boo!
I can't take all the credit for the recipe, though- it is based on a recipe by @Preston9mm - I just made a few modifications to simplify it a bit!
Good advice, Boo- to use a smaller pan- it's a lot less messy, and way easier to pour into your squirt bottle (I use the top 4" of a 2 liter Coke bottle for a funnel)
About the only waste will be what's stuck in the squirt bottle after you fill your molds- and that's not much, maybe 4 or 5 grams worth..(1 or 2 gummies)
@Doctor Trevor - I've been making gummies for a couple years, so if you have any questions about the process, just give me a tag ! :high-five:

Thanks for the mention, Boo!
I can't take all the credit for the recipe, though- it is based on a recipe by @Preston9mm - I just made a few modifications to simplify it a bit!
Good advice, Boo- to use a smaller pan- it's a lot less messy, and way easier to pour into your squirt bottle (I use the top 4" of a 2 liter Coke bottle for a funnel)
About the only waste will be what's stuck in the squirt bottle after you fill your molds- and that's not much, maybe 4 or 5 grams worth..(1 or 2 gummies)
@Doctor Trevor - I've been making gummies for a couple years, so if you have any questions about the process, just give me a tag ! :high-five:

I too use Preston's recipe (link below)

Recipe here

I use a condiment squirt bottle from the dollar store. The recipe almost completely fills my bottle. I wrap the bottle with a towel while dispensing since it's still molton lava hot. Makes 105 3.5ml gummies.

I made an insulating sleeve for the squirt bottle, out of a piece of windshield shade material- works well, and keeps the mixture warm a bit longer, so you've got a little more time to fill your molds-...although, you get pretty fast when you've made a few thousand gummies...

-...although, you get pretty fast when you've made a few thousand gummies...

I hear that. I hate when my sister passes through and gets her standard 4 batches (420 gummies, what a nice number). When I'm in production mode it takes me about half hour a batch, not including the half hour I stick them in the freezer to solidify. That's making, pouring into molds, removing from molds, and tossing in Sour Patch coating. I've got 3 sets of molds so I can work on another batch while others are cooling.

Today was my second or third bout with making gummies (raspberry flavored).

I'm concerned with the unusable leftovers. There seems to be a lot (see delicious photos). Any tips on how to reduce the left over?
I make them too. I have found that if I reheat the pan very slowly, the gummy stuff gets liquid again and I can get more out. I also have switched to using silicone ice cube trays.I can pour faster and cut them out after they are firm if I need to. The ice cube trays also have tops, which is really handy when stacking the in the frig to cool.

My recipe is simple. One box regular jello, one tablespoon unflavored gelatin. Put in small pan. Stir til mixed. Add 1/4 cup water. Stir. Put on low heat and stir. Heat until right before it boils. Stir in 1/3 cup infused coconut oil. Keep warm while you stir in oil, then remove from heat. Keep stirring so it doesn’t separate until it is the consistency of thick syrup. The pour into silicone ice cube trays. Refrigerate til cool. If you keep the mixture warm, like in a double boiler, you have more time to work with molds. But at this point I have given up on all the fancy stuff. When they are cooled, I pop them out on a baking sheet and leave them out a day to dry. That way they don’t stick together as much. Then put them in a jar marked medical and keep away from kids. Everyone in my house knows green gummies are medical marijuana and I put the ”recommended dose” on the label too. Hope this helps!

I generally keep my gummies in a tupperware-esque container in the fridge. One morning I got up and decided to reheat some meatballs I made for dinner, the night before. I put the wrong container in the microwave.

guess what happened....

Good question. I read somewhere as long as you don’t heat to a boil it should be okay. To me that makes sense since the thc is encapsulated in the oil and the jello. That’s why you don’t want to microwave the coconut oil infusion to liquify it.

But I guess you are already SOL since you nuked it and got your brick!🫠

I'm about to make my first batch of gummies. I made some CBD chocolates using the CBD gummy mould I got along with one that has the Canadian pot symbol used on legal packaging.

I've done a lot of reading about how peeps are making them and the biggest PITA I've seen is keeping everything hot. Also this putting it in squirt bottles to fill each one separately seems fine when you're doing 50 or so but my moulds make 192 - 4ml gummies so no freakin' way I'm filling each one at a time. That's 768ml of mix to fill them all.

Keeping the mix hot is easy enough. I just kept the chocolate in the double boiler pot over some simmering water but took a bit of thinking to come up with a way to keep the mould hot while filling but this worked great.

A couple years ago I was hunting around for a silicon sheet to blast BHO onto and the only thing I could find was a cookie sheet, rack and silicon sheet package for $30 so I bought it and the wife has been using the rack and cookie sheet since. Turns out the rack is just the right size for my moulds so I put the sheet on a double burner hot plate with some water in it and put the mould on the rack on top. Had to play around with the temp controls but got it so it keeps the mould at around 160F then poured the chocolate on top and smoothed it out with an icing scraper from the store I bought some ingredients at. The Bulk Barn in Grande Prairie, AB.

Turned out I didn't need to use the variac to keep the heat steady but had it on hand. That's good Belgian chocolate I'm cooking up there! :)

MouldHeat02.JPG

Just dump it on and spread it around. The first 3 rows on the right side were sprayed with Pam as I'd seen that mentioned in some threads I've read while researching this stuff. Don't!

CBDchocoD.JPG

Can scrape it clean so the candies are all separate when they come out.

CBDchocoE.JPG

I put a sheet of parchment paper on top when done and accidentally froze them while cooling in the freezer but other than going a bit white on the outside after being out of the mould for a day doesn't seem to have hurt them. Seem to work pretty good and the people I've shared them with are quite happy. I was giving them infused coconut oil but this is much more user friendly.

CBDchocoFirstBatch200622A.JPG

When I set up the hotplate I levelled it with a small spirit level and monitored the heat with an infrared laser thermometer. I used CBD oil made the QWISO way and diluted it with about 5ml of MCT oil. I guesstimated about 20mg for each candy using 50% CBD in the oil but really won't know for sure until I finally process all the pot in the freezer and send a sample off to a lab in Vancouver to get some real numbers to work with.

I do have a recipe for making the gummy mix with Jell-O and have got 6kg in 3 flavours and all the other stuff I believe I'll need but if anyone has any other recipes for doing fairly large batches with Jell-O I'd be happy to see them.

I got the Jell-O from amazon . ca for around $8/kg in case anyone needs some. Lots cheaper and easier than cleaning out the local grocery store for those little packages. Full sugar ones and not the artificial sweetened crap. It's already crap enough! :D

:peace:

Love and respect to all. I make cococanna oil in my MBM and use it to make gummies.

2/3 c oil, melted in dbl boiler
add
4 pack Knox unflavored gelatin bloomed into
1/2 c water or juice
2 t liquid lecithin
1 t lemon juice
add
I small box strawberry jello dissolved in
1/2 c boiling water or juice
Whisk for 10 minutes - no less
I use a candy funnel to get into molds.
Stainless bowls makes pulling leftover gum
off easily. I've switched to small cubes instead of the leaf design.

Stay stoneder

20220407_131358.jpg

20220407_123113.jpg

20220407_123106.jpg

Back
Top Bottom