'Marijuana' is a stupid term.

Brubeck69

That word is at least four decades out of date. It is thrown around far too much and simply serves to perpetuate the ignorance. Even the people who want cannabis legalized insist on calling it 'marijuana'. Sorry but it just makes me cringe when I hear that word. Where I come from (Scotland) you would be considered a total fool if you went around calling it that. Nobody uses that word, its straight out of antiquated bullshit like 'reefer madness'

The backward, ignorant idiotic attitudes towards weed flying around in the US disgusts me. It is consistently demonised by so-called educators and the dull gray minds of the spoon fed masses that worry too much about shit like swine flu. Try going into any bar and telling people you smoke weed here you may as well be telling them you are a card carrying member of al-queda.

Its just mindbending some of the crap people spout if you ask them about pot. I especially detest the bullshit 'drug-test' culture in the US, as if the fact you enjoy weed affects your ability to do your job in some way and you must answer to your stupid boss for what you do with your own body in your own free time. It's like something out of fucking Nazi Germany, and everyone just accepts it !

My point is that as long as folk continue to call it 'Marijuana' which is derrogatory with very negative connotations and stigma, we have no hope of changing the attitudes of the ignoramouses that stand in the way of decriminalisation. We need to use the correct scientific term, Cannabis, before we have any hope of making progress in the right direction.

Oh, and yes yes the ignorant masses know it by marijuana and most wont know what cannabis is..blah blah blah. I think thats a good thing, and one of the best reasons for a change in the terminology. You cant justify perpetuating that stupid word to me just because of ignorance on a national scale. Its time for change. Even if its only a name.

Uncle Sam has used propaganda to warp a few generations of citizens.
People would believe anything Uncle Sam said.
After learning the truth about cannabis, it is difficult to trust Uncle Sam on anything.
The government credibility is damaged. Our government believes in control.

I agree. I always try to remember and use the word Cannabis rather than marijuana. We don't change it when we find it in articles or article titles (they don't belong to us) and we don't change it in members posts (we'd have time for nothing else).

Lets all show the plant we love the respect its due and make an effort to call it by its name -> Cannabis

when i speak of the suject to the uninlighted folk's i tell them i take cannabis like that take that pain pill the doctor gives them.It is up to us to educate the people close to us and then work outward to teach other's.This state of proabition will not stand up to the rising tide of change we demand from the people we elect to work for us.My shirt on election day said very simply"I use cannabis and i vote".oh well i sound like im ranting again time to go vape some bubblegum kief.God bless the good old U.S of A... peace:allgood:

Uncle Sam has used propaganda to warp a few generations of citizens.
People would believe anything Uncle Sam said.
After learning the truth about cannabis, it is difficult to trust Uncle Sam on anything.
The government credibility is damaged. Our government believes in control.

Our government is based on control of everything. Who in hell gave them this power? Truthfully they made it that way while we were just fucking around being duped. I may not live to see it, but the overthrow is coming. Believe it or not they have already made preparations for it. It's in the news today.

Brubeck69 - I was just curious as to what your intentions are here?

You say you are Scottish ( sorry I think you mean you let the British control you! ) and yet your address is Long Island? I think Americans, regardless of their governments flaws and mistakes are very much in love with their country and it seems you have attacked them a bit. Remember, they, unlike us, are free from the British!!

In Australia, the term Marijuana isnt used often, but the media use the Cannabis leaf in television reports when discussing all things drug related, even when they bust a meth*mphetamine lab!! That is the real problem in my view. The demonisation and association of this plant with all of the other drug problems.

My 2 cents worth...............

I hope this dose not make me unpoular here but i like my country not the dumb people that lead us into unjust wars but the people here who can grow learn teach help and do so much more.oh well...peace

I love my country too. I did two combat tours in Vietnam. It was there I learned allot about our Government then and our policies then. Whole lot of lying went on.

I get want to get back to Government by the people, not just Government for the Corporations and wealthy. :peace:

Marijuana is a common traditional Mexican term for weed. The cannabis culture in the States was heavily influenced by it's neighbor to the South for a good century. It could have just as easily been mota or grifa (aka "reefer").

Much of the reason it's called Marijuana is America's mini-war with Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa. (The guy had the balls to invade New Mexico.) His army's marching song was a popular tune on both sides of the border at the time,"La Cucaracha". The chorus ends with "Marijuana es fumar!" ie; "Marijuana is the smoke." Villa got a lot of publicity in his times and the word Marijuana became the word for weed in the press.

I like it,it gives the weed a strong rebellious image and it's transnational. Everyone but the deads ears perk up when the word Marijuana is said no matter where you are.

I love my country too. I did two combat tours in Vietnam. It was there I learned allot about our Government then and our policies then. Whole lot of lying went on.

I get want to get back to Government by the people, not just Government for the Corporations and wealthy. :peace:

respect and thank you sir Those of us who have never seved dont know what it is a man like you has seen and felt.To serve your country is still veiwed by me and my family as a great honor.I dont mean just in the militry(a lot of marines at the family tabel)but to volenter,mentor,or what ever else it is you can do.For me as a carpenter its habitat for humanity.I swing my hammer and get good money for it so the least i can do is help with my labor to get someone on the path to a better life mabey it's karma oh well... peace:allgood:

respect and thank you sir Those of us who have never seved dont know what it is a man like you has seen and felt.To serve your country is still veiwed by me and my family as a great honor.I dont mean just in the militry(a lot of marines at the family tabel)but to volenter,mentor,or what ever else it is you can do.For me as a carpenter its habitat for humanity.I swing my hammer and get good money for it so the least i can do is help with my labor to get someone on the path to a better life mabey it's karma oh well... peace:allgood:

Your a good person my friend. :peace:

When the mexican immigrants were pulled over by police and caught with weed the cops associated it with only the mexicans and called it Marijuana as the spanish term. It is a stupid term and gives the impression that weed is some foreign mexican drug when really it's world wide grown and smoked.

Much respect for your 2 tours in 'Nam. I worked with a green beret who served in '65 0n the Cambodian border. I also so lost one of my close buds there to friendly fire in '69. Another close friend was badly hurt on the DMZ from Russian rockets fired at his Marine platoon in '68. As for our government, Liars, Thieves, and Politicians Oh My. :peace: :thanks:

i heard joe rogan say something like marijuana was originally the term for some type of mexican tobacco, and people eventually evolved the term out of racist dogma to mean cannabis. so it really isnt marijuana... it's cannabis. i hate the way rednecks say "marijuana." lol. especially the dudes on Cops and other police officers... it makes me a little angry. agitated. like it's bad or something. lol. and who gave them the power? WE DID, unfortunately. we being the majority of americans. we should have elected Ron Paul!! and Obama needs to quit dancing around answers in preelection speeches (as well as the majority of other politicians.)

Much respect for your 2 tours in 'Nam. I worked with a green beret who served in '65 0n the Cambodian border. I also so lost one of my close buds there to friendly fire in '69. Another close friend was badly hurt on the DMZ from Russian rockets fired at his Marine platoon in '68. As for our government, Liars, Thieves, and Politicians Oh My. :peace: :thanks:

Much respect to you too my friend. What terrible way to go. You are so right about our so called leaders. :peace:

There's an excellent documentary floating around on Showtime, 'In Pot We Trust'. Part of the message, aimed mainly at medical uses, and individuals that condone it's benefits, and speak out for changing the terminology.

Personally, I think we have an over abundance of, well, stupid people that believe the boilerplate bullshit that's presented by the governments stand on our beloved cannabis. Trying to teach people to enlighten personal feelings regarding issues that they've already been programed to fear is a very long term task.

As far as the current administration, DEA crack downs on MMJ outlets in California have been told to stand down. We finally have a President that understands the bullshit lies because he has the balls to admit smoking MJ.

Mind set change will come in time, but it's going to take progressives in Washington to pull it off.

Back
Top Bottom