Mars Hydro Grow Journal: TS 3000, Gorilla Glue Auto, 4x4 Tent, 2 Medium, 2 Pot Sizes

I have chlorine in mine. Plants actually require some chlorine. I'm only aware of vit c tablets to remove chloramine
Thank you Sir... I've got some vit c coming. I know other are using fish tank conditioners for example.

Thank you Sir... I've got some vit c coming. I know other are using fish tank conditioners for example.
Interesting about the fish tank conditioner. I wonder if @Virgin Ground knows about any of that. She swims like a fish.

I do. I was a mod for an aquatic forum.
I'd go with the vit C if you need to decholr. Things like Seachem Prime are not safe for consumption. Some products have formaldehyde and other unsavory inputs. I have many posts on this forum warning folks to stay away from dechlor products and suggest they use vit C.

I use municipal tap and don't bother to dechlor for my plants. Even if I'm adding a gallon or two of water to my aquarium (20 gallon) I won't use a dechlor product as the amount of chlorine and chloramine are easily handled by my fish at that dilution. As Mr.S said , plants ( and all other living things) require chlorine to live.

Interesting about the fish tank conditioner. I wonder if @Virgin Ground knows about any of that. She swims like a fish.
Maybe @Emilya might know a little something on this matter... She never chimed in about watering seedlings in big pot. Any words of wisdom on this matter. I watered deep. I had run off from 3 gallon pots. As you can see I didn't water whole pot. Edith clearly didn't like it. I even got a few drops on her.
1E9F2008-036D-49DA-80D4-104D511F15DA.JPG
FC8A8307-EA20-4CB2-BBE8-98C8CF22620A.JPG
3173CD68-0B28-4CE8-AC27-64C22E297C5B.JPG
76E9C758-64F6-4E9A-BF70-720B939FF91E.JPG
99AE784E-5F5F-4BFA-BDDA-330A16C91432.JPG
770E3145-3D40-4CA1-A311-446829D49FDD.JPG

4E858068-4ACF-4556-8679-EABB6427D40F.JPG

I do. I was a mod for an aquatic forum.
I'd go with the vit C if you need to decholr. Things like Seachem Prime are not safe for consumption. Some products have formaldehyde and other unsavory inputs. I have many posts on this forum warning folks to stay away from dechlor products and suggest they use vit C.

I use municipal tap and don't bother to dechlor for my plants. Even if I'm adding a gallon or two of water to my aquarium (20 gallon) I won't use a dechlor product as the amount of chlorine and chloramine are easily handled by my fish at that dilution. As Mr.S said , plants ( and all other living things) require chlorine to live.
I really appreciate that bit of professional info....I ordered some pure powder vit c. Now I must find right amount to use in 5 gallons. I know it's such a small about. Maybe a 5th or so of a teaspoon.

Journal entry: Week 2
Gorilla Glue Autos Experiment

My light is at 50% hanging 24 inches above grow. They have been in their pots since January 18. making them about a week old. Still alive but feeling like I'm watering them too much. I soaked them yesterday.
770E3145-3D40-4CA1-A311-446829D49FDD.JPG
FC8A8307-EA20-4CB2-BBE8-98C8CF22620A.JPG
1E9F2008-036D-49DA-80D4-104D511F15DA.JPG
76E9C758-64F6-4E9A-BF70-720B939FF91E.JPG
3173CD68-0B28-4CE8-AC27-64C22E297C5B.JPG
99AE784E-5F5F-4BFA-BDDA-330A16C91432.JPG

4E858068-4ACF-4556-8679-EABB6427D40F.JPG

@Patient Puffer I'm done looking. My finding is main ingredient in the fish tank conditioner is sodium thiosulfate. Sodium thiosulfate (sodium thiosulfate ) is an inorganic compound with the formula Na2S2O3xH2O. Other than it being inorganic it is used in gold mining, water treatment, analytical chemistry, the development of silver-based photographic film and prints, and medicine. The medical uses of sodium thiosulfate include treatment of cyanide poisoning and pityriasis. I couldn't help looking one more time for more answers. Conclusion: Both ascorbic acid (vitamin c) and fish tank conditioner (sodium thiosulfate) won't harm plants. Tank conditioner is inorganic and Vitamin C is organic.. It comes down to the choice.

@Plant Daddy
That is some astute observations, sir. I thank you immensely for that searching. I was doing some digging as well. I was on the other side, I was looking for it to be bad.

I couldn't find the formaldehyde, but I believe it is a potential. The concern i found noted over and over again was the fact that there are cheap conditioners that only treat the chloramine and break it down leaving ammonia which can be bad.

There are comprehensive treatments that break down chloramines and treat the ammonia left over and gets rid of metals.

Yes it is chemical based. I still have brewed good teas with it. I am on the fence. My bottle of junk says "perservatives" at the end. Well, that could be anything. Formaldehyde is a perservative.

I am unclear for my own choice, but I am deeply moved by your drive to get a definitive answer. That inspires me to dig more.

@Plant Daddy
That is some astute observations, sir. I thank you immensely for that searching. I was doing some digging as well. I was on the other side, I was looking for it to be bad.

I couldn't find the formaldehyde, but I believe it is a potential. The concern i found noted over and over again was the fact that there are cheap conditioners that only treat the chloramine and break it down leaving ammonia which can be bad.

There are comprehensive treatments that break down chloramines and treat the ammonia left over and gets rid of metals.

Yes it is chemical based. I still have brewed good teas with it. I am on the fence. My bottle of junk says "perservatives" at the end. Well, that could be anything. Formaldehyde is a perservative.

I am unclear for my own choice, but I am deeply moved by your drive to get a definitive answer. That inspires me to dig more.
I just find the conditioner so simple to use i droplet form, but actually when I get ascorbic acid dialed in it will be vary inexpensive and an organic way to handle the Chloramines. I'm also reading that it shouldn't move Ph unless too much is used. Hoping to take 6.5 down to 6.2. Hoping not to have to adjust up. I will get it by Saturday and actually can't wait to experiment with it.

See then that was going to be my concern when i flipped to ascorbic acid. It is an acid. Is the amount used negligible enough that it will not affect the pH? Then my next concern or determining factor would be longevity and cost.

The conditioner has an expiration date. Does the acid have a use by date?

See then that was going to be my concern when i flipped to ascorbic acid. It is an acid. Is the amount used negligible enough that it will not affect the pH? Then my next concern or determining factor would be longevity and cost.

The conditioner has an expiration date. Does the acid have a use by date?
I see its about a three years expiration. lol. I've ordered enough for 20 years. I can still use it in a glass of water for consumption.

I have chlorine in mine. Plants actually require some chlorine. I'm only aware of vit c tablets to remove chloramine
I read that the chlorine and Chloramine in tap water are filtered out only after a couple inches of soil. I wanted to brew tea and it didn't make sense to brew tea in chloramine. The chloramine would kill all the hard work.

I added another tool to the grow room yesterday. I'm learning that coco requires a certain ph unlike soil. I thought I would give my coco grow a fair chance with accurate info. Hoping I'm not just throwing away money. Maybe none of these pens are good for long. Six times the price I'd hope for longer and more accurate pen.

DD06CF2A-3CE6-4975-84E1-5BC6CF6C2A08.JPG

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 1.25.12 PM.png

I added another tool to the grow room yesterday. I'm learning that coco requires a certain ph unlike soil. I thought I would give my coco grow a fair chance with accurate info. Hoping I'm not just throwing away money. Maybe none of these pens are good for long. Six times the price I'd hope for longer and more accurate pen.

DD06CF2A-3CE6-4975-84E1-5BC6CF6C2A08.JPG

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 1.25.12 PM.png
BlueLab and Hanna seem to be the bar or gold standard so to say. If you take care of it it will last and pay for itself.
I would love any coco growers to give me there 2 cents... My coco seedlings are much lighter in color than the ones in soil. I'm guessing it because of the ph. Cant wait to get some PHed water on them.

Coco is soilless, which is a form of hydroponic. So a ph of 5.8 is ideal. To high or too low can cause lockouts preventing the plant from feeding. Feeding is different since you want to saturate the coco daily you have to add nutrients every time also the agricultural term for this is fertigation.
you can typically get away with a much lighter feed schedule since it’s applied daily also.

Back
Top Bottom