Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

If you want the bigger, denser buds in flower it is best to go with the higher output 5w led's and if you are concerned about the extra power draw from the red led's you can veg with HO T5's. The reason why LG went with 5w led's is because Black Dog went with 5w led's, I personally use T5's for veg and will use my Mars 900 for flower. Just my opinion

Hey 420Magazine,
I've been looking for a project to pick up and I came upon these things called SpaceBuckets. Space Buckets ~ DIY indoor garden. Instead of using CFLs inside the buckets, I was going to attempt to put a small LED UFO in the space. The light I was looking at is the TopLED Old Model 60x3w UFO UFO LED grow light. I know that LEDs need a good amount of space from the canopy otherwise bleaching can occur. I was wondering if this light, being the least powerful one that TopLED offers, would be able to be put inside one of these Spacebuckets and grow some decent medicine without bleaching the plants. Also, if anyone has any experience using this light I would like to know if this older model light uses the newer LED ratios that are present in TopLEDs newer models.

it just seems to me that if it (5w Mars) had a switch like the 3w reflector it would just make more sense.

Absolutely agree. Something seems very wrong to me about having to spend $100 more (per light!) for veg and bloom. I could understand a custom-build surcharge if I want some peculiar spectrum/bulb configuration. But, for standard veg and bloom? That's steep.

I wouldn't mind buying 2 lights because they'd end up lasting longer due to the "off time" each receives while the other is in use. I don't feel too gouged by that. But, $200 extra just to have what's considered standard? And, of course, if veg/bloom was switched in a single fixture, I'm sure that could be delivered for much less than the price of two lights (plus $200).

Maybe a package deal, like, "No surchage when buying veg and bloom together." But, I don't understand the surcharge under any circumstance because those spectrums should be standardized enough to build them in batches. (And built into high-quality brands with a switch that buyers shouldn't be penalized for acquiring it with two Mars fixtures.).

Going from $330 for a 4x4-foot rated light (with veg and bloom) to $940 is an enormous jump. Without the surcharge it would be $760. That would be a little closer to double the price instead of triple the price. I could rationalize that in terms of using the fixtures synchronously, and therefore they'd last twice as long.

I'm curious what others (and Sara) think. I imagine the answer is "Mars 5w is powerful enough that plants thrive with full-spectrum." But, that gets back to my other post (about reflectors) that "powerful enough" is another way of saying efficiency is sacrificed?

There is a reason why these lights are afordable, they don't have all the extra features. If you start adding all of the things you stated they would be more expensive.

If you start adding all of the things you stated they would be more expensive.

I can understand how a reflector would add to the cost of 5w fixtures. It might not be a worthwhile expense for the added light reaching the plants. But, switchable spectrum shouldn't be the price of two lights plus a $180 premium (nearly 3 times the price of a light). The price of a light and a half, maybe?

The value proposition for Mars's veg and flower doesn't add up for me. I think I'd be more inclined to buy flower and use my t5 for veg, as you suggested. But, for Sara, being incented to do so raises what may be a problem with the way the Mars lights are priced.

At 3 times the price they may still be "worth it." But, as a consumer, something about that proposition is off-putting to me. I just *feel* offended at having to pay a premium for a standard configuration. Like they're discouraging that choice. If it's still "worth it," then my feeling is irrational. But, I still have trouble accepting that condition.

Well guys you have to remember that you are typing to a blonde with a bit of brain damage and you are kinda typing above my head but with all that said I love my Top Leds in general but all in all I like everything about the 3w reflectors and that includes the product that they have grown for me. I know the 5w is doing a great job. It is right now blooming the clones off the plants that were harvested a couple of weeks ago and the bud production under the 5w is most certainly more effective. Part of it is the way they have been trained but by this time with the mother plants under the 3w they were not showing any trichs at all even with the loupe yet and these are covered already so that has to mean something. That is not the only change in the grows though. I didn't have the Open Sesame in the mother grow and the soil used with the mothers was Miracle Grow and the clones are in Fox Farm soil so there are to many variables to say it is all due to the different light but either way the 5w is doing a great job I just like my 3w better so far but the proof will be in the final buds. So with that said in about 7/8 weeks we will know for sure which one produces the best buds.....:circle-of-love:

I like the efficiency of the 3 watts. I just picked up two of the 96x3 reflectors. Replaced the Eye Hortilux 430 watt HPS in my flowering room with one and the temperature instantly dropped from 82 to 75, humidity went up.

This is a pic of my new veg room. It has a lot of veg in it now as well as herbs and herb. :)
Mar7LEDVeg.jpg

Hi Icemud.

PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation). PAR spectrum accounts only for light or more precisely photons emitted between 400-700nm. Scientists have concluded that it requires about 9 photons to bind one CO2 molecule in photosynthesis [6CO2 + 6H2O (+ light energy) C6H12O6 + 6O2]. It has also been found that there is little difference between the effectiveness of red & blue photons as long as they are within the 400-700nm range. This leads to a direct correlation between the number of photons produced in the PAR spectrum and the photosynthetic potential of a light source.

When trying to quantify how effective a light source is beyond the total output of μmol/per second, you must consider one last piece of information... the area of your garden. Inevitably some of the photons produced will not reach your garden. So the most accurate representation of a light source's ability to drive photosynthesis will take into account the area being lit and how many photons reach a given area per second; usually as square meters. That representation which actually summates the effectiveness of a light source for photosynthesis is written as μmol/m2/s. This descriptor is actually referred to as Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density or PPFD for short.

Lumens are essentially a measure of brightness based on human perception.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the post, good information, but I'm already familiar with the difference between PAR and Lumens.

Sorry Icebud... i did not mean to put your name in the post.... may have been something i was smoking.... i could tell you knew from your post..

Its all good Mungo...1 luv my friend!! Was very good information for those that weren't aware :) Good post!

MMMm, Icebud. Where do I get that strain? :hmmmm:

Just kidding of course. Great write up cause I didn't know that stuff on PAR. Dandy!

Well with my upcomming breeding and crossing project...that would be a great name for a new strain :) its very possible :)

I just started another grow Journal using Mars II LED Grow Light 400w from Seed (2.7 x 2.7 x 6 grow tent). Will finish with this light too cause I am now a LED light believer!

will be there:)
I just started another grow Journal using Mars II LED Grow Light 400w from Seed (2.7 x 2.7 x 6 grow tent). Will finish with this light too cause I am now a LED light believer!

Back
Top Bottom