MNS - My New Spot

Here's a good response on the subject..
L33t
hi all

hi Jamie

Regarding 6 weekers, from seedplants I 've never seen a plant to be fully ripe by week 6 /42days , never , even with so called 6 weeker strains/phenos. From clone I have, but most fast strains take 7-8 not 6 weeks.

As far as ripening is concerned I 've noticed that the way the buds ripen on a plant depends on lighting..but generally most potted plants indoors including sats will ripen from bottom up.

Lighting plays an important role in ripening times and even though many may disagree , its a fact..and there are many experienced growers that have done several tests that show that lighting levels does affect times.

As for clones vs seedplants , finishing times are usually shorter with cuts. Why? One of the reasons is the cuts usually come from a mother plant that has reach hormonal maturity (remember the age of a clone is the same as the mother plant's.
Now a cut taken from a mature 6-8week vegged seedplant will usually start flowering and finish faster than a cut taken from a 2-3 week vegged plant(which hadn't reached maturity with the short veg time)..or compared to the same seedplant flowered after a short veg period.Usually you can see the differences in first flower appearance during the budding cycle. A seedplant may take up to around 1.5-2.5 weeks to show sex in 12/12 while the same pheno when grown from clone that was taken from a mature mother seedplant will show first flower and start flowering within a week or even faster. In my experience you can save from one or less..to several weeks when growing from clone. It depends a lot on strain and usually the differences are more visible when growing late finishing strains.

L33t
For pure sativas or sat dominant strains I recommend to let up to 40-50% of the trichs turn amber.This is personal preference of courseI remember a post from Shanti talking about Nevs Hz where he said that he leaves em to amber up to 80% sometimes.I dont have personal experience with NH yet but I do have experience with landrace sativas and sat dominant hybrids , and the general rule of thumb says.. leAve those sats to fuUully mature

Unlike with indicas, sativas do 'get better' as they are let to mature and I personally prefer them almost overripe.The high n potency doesnt change so drammatically like with inDicas during/within the 'harvest window'.The high changes of course as the resin matures , the high becomes longer lasting etc but with sativas I find the extra wait is definitely worth the extra wait ..while with indicas you can chop early without much 'loss'

Iam sure those will smoke great , By the way were these from seed or clone?

Have fun!

Shantibaba
Higuys

would be good to get a photo to see what we are looking at.But the NH is pretty ripe at 60% coloration to the resin glands. how long are the clones taking from the mothers? Is it a shorter cycle?
All the best stay safe Sb

I should state also if any new growers.. this is for sativa, not indica.. indica looking for all cloudy..

Yeah Nic, worth seeing if the extra wait is worth the wait (I liked that :rofl:)

Jaga, talking about extra light :high-five: wish somebody would take this 1200w, I can't give it away :rofl::rofl:

I should state also if any new growers.. this is for sativa, not indica.. indica looking for all cloudy..

Really see I thought it was opposite

Peak thc:thumb: there's lots of mixed up stuff you can read.. say a lot myself and I read back with a, D'oh..

Morning Amy :passitleft:

Well....I'm about to test this theory on light...well, not just light but spectrum. We've continued to have high temperatures here both day and night. When I flipped to 12/12 tent temp went immediately to 88o F (31o C) and I personally didn't like that.

Running a Mars Hydro Mars II 900 and also at flip went from Grow spectrum to Grow and Bloom spectrum with some air conditioning ducted into the tent.

To get temp back to 80o to 84o F I chose to use only the bloom spectrum. It's just reds and blues and I don't know if any Infrared are running. Anyway, I'm going to proceed this way unless the outside temps go down. Then I might go back to both spectrum.

We'll just have to see how they finish I guess but I'm really expecting some hard ass nugs from Pakistan Valley which is landrace indica. Yep....I'm expecting that.

I'll be watching mate.. pv, I've liked her from early on and she's continued to look the stunner :passitleft:

Be careful with those switches Magic Jim. I was considering the same thing and after talking to the manufacturer found that the "growth" switch controls the fans, If you only have the "bloom" switch on then the heat sink fans don't run and that will significantly shorten the lifespan of the lights. BTW I am running a mars reflector 192 unit in my grow chamber. I did look at the mars hydro 900 and 700 units but decided to go with the reflector 192.

Thanks staker :passitleft:
:passitleft: and what an afternoon it is. The suns out and 22 here, hopefully that seasonal change I'm waiting for..

Some good info somebody might find useful/interesting.

By seshata
STABILISING CANNABIS
Procedures to stabilise cannabis strains are poorly understood, even by breeders producing commercial strains. Stability refers to the variability and predictability found in the offspring of a parent generation: when a strain is unstable, variability will be high and predictability low; with a stable strain, the reverse is true.

cannabis genetics 101 stabilizing a strain

Variability & predictability

Variability in this case refers to the range of different phenotypes that will express when hybridising two different strains; predictability refers to the expected distribution ratio of the different phenotypes. When crossing stable parents, Mendelian inheritance dictates that: 50% of the offspring will resemble both parents equally, 25% will express traits closer to the mother and 25% closer to the father.

Usually, breeders will stabilise a strain over several generations. First, a healthy mother and father are selected, and bred to produce hybrid offspring that will be of varying predictability depending on parent stability. Hence, if the mother and father are both considered stable, their offspring would be expected to express three phenotypes as outlined above.

Stable vs. true-breeding

It is important to note that ‘stable’ does not equate to ‘true-breeding’. A true-breeding strain is one that will produce consistent offspring of one dominant phenotype (with few to no specimens unlike their siblings); in cannabis, these are usually found among the landraces and traditional cultivars. Further, breeders may use the term true-breeding to refer to single traits that will always recur (such as purpling or webbed leaves), rather than for overall phenotypic expression.

Mendelian inheritance at its most simple - 25% of offspring have the type AA, 25% are aa and 50% are AaMendelian inheritance at its most simple – 25% of offspring have the type AA, 25% are aa and 50% are Aa
Stable parents usually produce predictable, homozygous offspring, although with a greater degree of variation than found in true-breeding strains. However, if one or more parents is unstable, crossing them together results in a range of heterozygous offspring that can express any number of unpredictable traits, and which will not correspond to predictable Mendelian ratios.

The traits that are dominant in each parent are recombined to provide the genetic basis for the next generation. The initial crossing of two unrelated parents is known as the filial-1 (f1) hybrid. Usually, the best examples of the f1 hybrids will be crossed to produce the f2 generation, which is usually even more unstable than the f1.

Crossing & back-crossing

With several generations of crossing together brothers and sisters from the same parents—selecting on the basis of desirable traits—a greater degree of consistency and therefore predictability can be achieved. Desired traits become dominant and will always appear, while undesirable traits are gradually eliminated from the gene pool and are no longer expressed.

For some traits, back-crossing plants to previous generations allows traits to become stabilised more quickly. Many breeders erroneously believe that some degree of back-crossing is necessary to stabilise any strain, but in reality this technique is only required for certain characteristics.

Inbreeding depression

After crossing and possibly back-crossing for several generations, the desired traits should begin to express in all individuals. However, after many generations of essentially limiting and reducing the gene pool so that only desired traits express, the resulting paucity of genetic material can lead to a level of inbreeding that is detrimental to the overall health and sustainability of the strain.

A simple diagram showing the potential for inbreeding to render unwanted, recessive traits dominantA simple diagram showing the potential for inbreeding to render unwanted, recessive traits dominant
Put simply, if two related parents both carry the same recessive allele, which happens to be defective or otherwise deleterious, the chances of two identical copies passing to the offspring are far higher than with unrelated parents. If two individuals carrying these faulty alleles then breed with each other, the undesirable trait will be dominant and breed true in all subsequent generations of the lineage.

Outbreeding for improved diversity

For this reason, when strains begin to experience such severe inbreeding (known as inbreeding depression), it is common to introduce a new, unrelated father in a process known as outbreeding.

Inbreeding depression will occur more slowly if there is an abundance of genetic material from which to form new offspring. Therefore, with smaller population sizes, inbreeding depression can occur rapidly. This is especially common in countries with a strong cannabis-using culture that have not decriminalised the means of production, such as the Netherlands where small libraries are maintained due to risk of discovery.

Be careful with those switches Magic Jim. I was considering the same thing and after talking to the manufacturer found that the "growth" switch controls the fans, If you only have the "bloom" switch on then the heat sink fans don't run and that will significantly shorten the lifespan of the lights. BTW I am running a mars reflector 192 unit in my grow chamber. I did look at the mars hydro 900 and 700 units but decided to go with the reflector 192.

Thanks. I had not thought of that but knew that I was able to control temperature within the tent with either switch on but not both.

Here's what happening on my LED. There are 4 fans. Grow switch controls 2 and Bloom switch controls the other 2. I visually checked with a piece of thread tied to a little stick and held it above the fans while flipping the 2 switches.

Life is good. :bongrip:

That's good.. they must have changed them up from the reflector series. Always thought they were asking for a burn out by not having fans controlled by both switches..

Back
Top Bottom