My First Indoor Grow

Congratulations on your first grow, @jeeperrs ! It’s looking good.
:goodjob:

You’re on your way to a full tent. The description of the strains that you posted said to expect modest stretch on the WW, but I think you will have some bushy babies there. It’s exciting huh:p

I trim the bigger fan leaves from the top to allow more light penetration, and then lollipop trim the bottom stuff, if the light does not hit it it does no good. That’s just my way, I’m paranoid about airflow and mold because it’s humid here. But others do less trimming and have great success if that’s what you prefer.

For bugs I use soap and neem oil, of course you can’t spray the flowers but I haven’t needed to, knock on wood. You can peel those fabric pots down without cutting them. They should last many grows. Five gallon is a good size for that tent.

Good luck, I’ll be watching in anticipation too.

Congratulations on your first grow, @jeeperrs ! It’s looking good.
:goodjob:

You’re on your way to a full tent. The description of the strains that you posted said to expect modest stretch on the WW, but I think you will have some bushy babies there. It’s exciting huh:p

I trim the bigger fan leaves from the top to allow more light penetration, and then lollipop trim the bottom stuff, if the light does not hit it it does no good. That’s just my way, I’m paranoid about airflow and mold because it’s humid here. But others do less trimming and have great success if that’s what you prefer.

For bugs I use soap and neem oil, of course you can’t spray the flowers but I haven’t needed to, knock on wood. You can peel those fabric pots down without cutting them. They should last many grows. Five gallon is a good size for that tent.

Good luck, I’ll be watching in anticipation too.
Thanks for the reply! My RH is a high of 40%. I am trying not to trim too much, as my other feedback has been the opposite. However, I have notice the plants have dropped a couple leaves that don’t get light, and they didn’t suck the nutrients out before dropping the leaves. So, I am still not sure what to do. Thanks again!

I am using the Timber 3VL 3500k fixture. Once I had the third set of leaves I began increasing the wattage from about 50% to 100%. I had to keep the distance at about 2.5-3 feet because it was a lot of light for young plants. That is also the distance recommended by Timber for the lights during veg. Once I had them at 100% I started moving them lower. They now sit 18-14 inches from the canopy (they are growing like weeds). They grow so fast I have to raise the lights about every 3 days right now. They are just finishing the second week of flower in a few days, so they are still in transition.
Exactly what I do with mine. I did have an AK that had minor bleaching although I kept lights 20+ off it, prob the strain.

Although I don't run at full wattage, that would be 55+w per foot. I do about 45w co2, unless we have a seriously cool winter.

My first tent 2x4ft grows were using a 300w cheap LED, red+blue lights, hardcore burple. It wasn’t enough light so last year I got a full spectrum cheep 300w and the next grow was noticibly better. Now I just got another cheep no-name 1000w and added another small tent. I have no idea of the spectrum or actual wattage drawn.
It looks like you’re getting really good results with your Timber. The technology is still moving so fast with LED it will be a few years before it settles.

My first tent 2x4ft grows were using a 300w cheap LED, red+blue lights, hardcore burple. It wasn’t enough light so last year I got a full spectrum cheep 300w and the next grow was noticibly better. Now I just got another cheep no-name 1000w and added another small tent. I have no idea of the spectrum or actual wattage drawn.
It looks like you’re getting really good results with your Timber. The technology is still moving so fast with LED it will be a few years before it settles.
I have been quite happy with the Timber. I almost bought the 400w fixture but Dan from Timber said that I probably would not be able to run them at full power. It would have been too much light. So far his advice has been sound and my plants are growing well. :)

Well the sun is pretty bright. Interesting that the rep did not upsell to the 400. We can take that as a sign of integrity on their part. More commonly people say you can’t get too much light.
I don’t have direct experience. It is convenient to have two lights, for better coverage.

It seems you will have a couple shorties and a couple lanky Sativas. As I recall you have a Cambodian Sativa hybrid and an Indica based pair. You can put the WW on a little box or something to keep your canopy even. The flower stretch can be amazing.

Dan was great to work with. He never tried to sell me more than I needed, and talked me down from the 4VL model.

Ironically, the Indica dominate strains are starting to outgrow the Sativa stains. The Sativa has slowed down the stretch. I am going to get some styrofoam blocks to lift any plants that stay short. For now they are all within an inch or so of each other. I have to remind myself that they are all hybrids and have the potential to show either trait. It has been a fun learning experience.

Oh, about the comment of no such thing as too much light. I am not a botanist but I do have a Ph.D. I have learned that everything can be in excess. I assume sunlight is no different. Lol.

Oh, about the comment of no such thing as too much light. I am not a botanist but I do have a Ph.D. I have learned that everything can be in excess. I assume sunlight is no different. Lol.
Haha. The dosage makes the poison, as they say.
You’re right about the Indica vs Sativa observation. The strain AK-47 won cannabis cups for Best Sativa, Best Indica, and then Best Hybrid in various years. LOL.

I almost bought some AK-47 because I read so many people grow it. I ordered a couple auto flowers for my next grow (I can't remember the names). I am going to pop all five of one strain and grow them out at the same time. I hope that will prevent height differences like I may face with my current grow. This has been a great experience. I can't believe how knowledgable people are on best practices for growing cannabis.

I fimed this branch a couple weeks ago, that is why it has ugly leaves. One of the new leaves has a single point growing that is quite yellow. Should I be concerned since this is the only leaf on the entire plant?
82A7F66B-5C3C-4135-97F7-23F8FC665962.jpeg

I decided to measure my plants to see how much they have grown after almost 2 weeks of 12/12 lighting. The girls were very compact when I started. In about 2 weeks the girls have gone from about 14 inches to 26 inches. They are adding a lot of white pistols to the new growth, but not a definitive new bud. Fingers crossed the explosion slows down because they have already doubled in height. :oops:

My RH is staying between 36-40% and my temps are staying between 69-76 degrees.

That’s pretty manageable stretch, probably be slowing down this week.

Is that little bit of yellowing in the new growth greening up? I see that on my plants especially when growing vigorously. The leaves come in yellow until the plant can push the nutrients out to the new growth it seems. Especially if ph is a bit marginal or the temp is cool. A little foliar spray might give you more even green color. They still need some nitrogen during transition then less each week.

How about some pictures? I’m still curious about that Cambodia hybrid.

They grow in kind of a neon green when really young, shortly after the leaves open they start greening up fast. They have done this since day 1. So, I thought that was a bit normal. I will look into the spray and take some photos when I get home.

I tried to get pictures that better match what I see with the naked eye. The colors seem to shift a bit with the bright light on them. The last one is a bit more yellow in the photo than my actual eye, I think they look bright green more than yellow with the naked eye.
4918987C-69AA-438C-B6CC-878954BA1712.jpegA08894D7-8A73-4CD2-85D8-087D7327875F.jpeg42E31FA2-3420-42E0-9BF0-4752EE0D18E7.jpegB9056691-2B17-45A8-8559-1733A1601931.jpegE8E6F4C0-4517-4973-86A6-13BEC94AC869.jpeg6A9048C6-5B19-45A3-9548-6DF49C634D38.jpeg

That’s pretty manageable stretch, probably be slowing down this week.

Is that little bit of yellowing in the new growth greening up? I see that on my plants especially when growing vigorously. The leaves come in yellow until the plant can push the nutrients out to the new growth it seems. Especially if ph is a bit marginal or the temp is cool. A little foliar spray might give you more even green color. They still need some nitrogen during transition then less each week.

How about some pictures? I’m still curious about that Cambodia hybrid.
This is my only true yellow leaf.
2E65C006-63E9-4091-8C1D-40BA3B7B7B6A.jpeg

Do most people prefer not defoliating the plants? Mine are thick with leaves. I should have started flower earlier because my tent is wall to wall plants. Also, should I remove small buds lower down on the stems when they form? The plants are now taller than my waist (in the pot). Here they are as they begin the third week of flower.

367EA756-EBE9-4CE7-AB60-4BFB6A01C70B.jpeg8554AD46-663C-4D09-BAE9-76B288F7576B.jpegFF9B4610-C8E5-4937-8F48-75A5447770D1.jpeg3E80DC3D-B5AF-4A07-A156-401F5D1FA851.jpegFD7B7466-5578-4A20-99C6-2647A29174BE.jpeg8F74BA06-6834-44B1-80B4-E701D9A94037.jpeg

Do most people prefer not defoliating the plants? Mine are thick with leaves. I should have started flower earlier because my tent is wall to wall plants. Also, should I remove small buds lower down on the stems when they form? The plants are now taller than my waist (in the pot). Here they are as they begin the third week of flower.

367EA756-EBE9-4CE7-AB60-4BFB6A01C70B.jpeg8554AD46-663C-4D09-BAE9-76B288F7576B.jpegFF9B4610-C8E5-4937-8F48-75A5447770D1.jpeg3E80DC3D-B5AF-4A07-A156-401F5D1FA851.jpegFD7B7466-5578-4A20-99C6-2647A29174BE.jpeg8F74BA06-6834-44B1-80B4-E701D9A94037.jpeg
That is one beautiful forest you have there my friend!! Happy growing!:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom