My First Indoor Grow

I have a serious question and can't seem to find the answer. My plants would grow a leaf and that leaf would grow straight sideways from the stem. The leaves became very big and kind of made a dome because the nodes all stayed less than an inch apart. Just before I pruned the plants, I noticed that new growth was coming from between the leaf and the stem. The new growth was getting very thick like a new stem and that is what I did not prune off, much thicker than the stem on the leaves sticking out sideways. All the leaves on the new diagonal growth are much more healthy and making new fan leaves. Is this how all new growth works? Does it grow between the stem of a leaf and stem, then grow up diagonally? The plants all seem to be doing great now that the new growth is getting some light. I just can't find a good diagram of how the plants grow. My plants just don't seem to look like any others. It seems most peoples make a tall stem with thin leaves branching off and with decent spacing. Mine all grew into short balls. LOL My strongest plant is still doing amazing and I am giving a liter of water a day at this point. They are drinking it as I am becoming a better gage at what "dry" soil is like. I was letting my soil turn into desert soil. LOL

I kind of wonder if the really short plants is a result of running 20+ hours of light a day. It seems that plants stretch at night, hence the large stretch reported at initial flowering. Maybe I would be better off with 18/6 schedule to get a little taller plants and to help the new growth to have room to grow. Mine were super dense balls of leaves.

I have a serious question and can't seem to find the answer. My plants would grow a leaf and that leaf would grow straight sideways from the stem. The leaves became very big and kind of made a dome because the nodes all stayed less than an inch apart. Just before I pruned the plants, I noticed that new growth was coming from between the leaf and the stem. The new growth was getting very thick like a new stem and that is what I did not prune off, much thicker than the stem on the leaves sticking out sideways. All the leaves on the new diagonal growth are much more healthy and making new fan leaves. Is this how all new growth works? Does it grow between the stem of a leaf and stem, then grow up diagonally? The plants all seem to be doing great now that the new growth is getting some light. I just can't find a good diagram of how the plants grow. My plants just don't seem to look like any others. It seems most peoples make a tall stem with thin leaves branching off and with decent spacing. Mine all grew into short balls. LOL My strongest plant is still doing amazing and I am giving a liter of water a day at this point. They are drinking it as I am becoming a better gage at what "dry" soil is like. I was letting my soil turn into desert soil. LOL

I kind of wonder if the really short plants is a result of running 20+ hours of light a day. It seems that plants stretch at night, hence the large stretch reported at initial flowering. Maybe I would be better off with 18/6 schedule to get a little taller plants and to help the new growth to have room to grow. Mine were super dense balls of leaves.

Plant height is genetics 90+%, maybe nutes and light type, not really hour per day.

How far are your lights off your plants? How much is pulled at the wall?

I am not sure how much is pulled from the wall. They are 300 watt Timber 3Vl 3500k lights. I have them about 2.5-3 feet above the plants. For a couple weeks I had them about 18 inches above the lights but raised them higher.

The stems seem thick. They are about the thickness of a sharpie marker right now.

Here are the girls at 4 weeks! I am thrilled at the new growth. The discolored leaves are the old growth from when I underwatered and had my lights a bit too close. Prior to pruning those leaves were the top of the plant. Since opening them up, you can see the new growth has shot up fast and is now covering those leaves. Everything seems to be doing quite well!

70AB1846-5C42-444F-916F-0DA5A6AC2B45.jpegD5946EFA-73D4-4C98-B241-4483FB90D4AF.jpeg930861D9-501B-4BAE-9B8D-2DB3171ACB01.jpegEDC50FC5-6928-454A-B735-DA90131893BD.jpeg

The plants are all about 1 foot tall. I have them in 3 gallon pots at this time. Today saw the white "hairs" at the internodes to verify that they are all female. They are much harder to see than I expected lol. To prevent them from outgrowing their pots, should I consider starting the flower process in the next week or so?

So, if I start flower next week, they will grow from their current height of 1 foot to a final height of about 2-3 feet??? I had read you should only allow 1 foot of height for each gallon of pot size. Is that still true?

All depends on genetics, light and nutes really

If she gets root bound it will just slow some growth, but since yer still learning they could have some serious issues

Why not uppot to 5 gal and then flip?

I don't know how people up-pot using smart pots. I had to cut open my smart pots to get the plants out. I had roots growing out the bottom of the pots! So, a few roots were torn off, but they were all about the thickness of hair. The sides were not showing lots of roots, but the root ball was enough to hold the whole mass of dirt together. I put two plants in to 5 gallons and will do the other two tomorrow. I had to give my back a break. I will post some new pics when I get the other two into a 5 gallon pot.

In preparation for flower, I started the lollipop. I wanted them to have time to heal before flowering. I only removed leaves that are completely covered by the canopy. I should have several good bud stems when they flower. You can see how tight my node spacing is in the photos. 6D6A3AC5-DA2D-45BC-B3EB-44C75E4437AD.jpeg63D5AF0D-7AA0-445D-A7A6-CB5E412AFAAD.jpegFA10F068-E1AE-4486-89EA-B9B665ACCC6A.jpegB7BE2A5A-7802-4B4C-80E7-244AE678D15A.jpegAAEF50B2-CB1A-4C43-9E0D-A3B19A3A49B1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom