My First Time Growing

21 days, wow that's pretty quick

Dago, they are under a 250W metal halide at the moment (all of them) and on a 12/12 cycle, which has been the cycle to begin with. I've read starting with a 12/12 will help keep them short, which so far it has.

the other light i got is a 400w HPS, so i can switch them out if it's reccommended.

Congrats on the lady. That little one looks kinda cool. :smokin:

Yeah, it's really nice working with all female clones. You definitely want to get to that point. You can prune, pinch and train them to do what you want 'em to do. ;)

On a side note, in my current grow, I have a plant that has shown female preflowers in just over 5 weeks under 18/6.

:peace:

Harry

Hi Harry, thanks for stopping in.

Congrats on the lady. That little one looks kinda cool. :smokin:

Yeah, i was blown away the other day when I noticed it had a bud on top. I haven't ever seen something with almost black buds... Smelly yummy too... I'm wondering if I can somehow get it to actually grow bigger, i'd like to clone that one as well... Is that even possible?? How small of a clone can you take anyways?

Yeah, it's really nice working with all female clones. You definitely want to get to that point. You can prune, pinch and train them to do what you want 'em to do. ;)

I have heard of supercropping involving the "pinching" and I think i gotta do more reasearch before i try that. I figure i got about two weeks till I can clone anyways, so I have plenty of time to get a clone box ready to go.

laters!
:rollit:

I am curious to know others opinions on this. I think I'd let the female grow a bit bigger before I'd start plucking off clones.

Someone with more experience - what's the verdict?

I cloned my female once the sex was determined in 12/12 mode. The clones are under a 24h light that I have over a dome tray. I took the clones from the lower branches. I keep the clones in the tray until I can setup a veg area. I water the cubes with tap water. I figure I can keep them in the tray for a couple of weeks to give me time to setup the veg area.

I'm wondering if I can somehow get it to actually grow bigger, i'd like to clone that one as well... Is that even possible?? How small of a clone can you take anyways?
You can clone from a really small branch, at a point with just one node below the top leaves. Personally, I like staring with very small clones. They are easy to root and train. I took this one a few days ago and I hardly noticed it slowing down.

clonexmpl.jpg

I chose a lower node but could have taken from where the blue line is. I just use a little rootone, prop mine up in peat and sit it in a small plastic lid filled with water, misting occasionally. I see people have lot of trouble with clones but I'm 100% using this kiss method. I read where you can just suspend the clone in water with similar results. If I were doing hydro, I'd try that method with some rootone. If I needed lots of clones, maybe a little cloning station would be in order.

You can always re-veg that little bud, grow it out some and take a bunch of clones from it. Basically, make it a mother.

I have heard of supercropping involving the "pinching" and I think i gotta do more reasearch before i try that. I figure i got about two weeks till I can clone anyways, so I have plenty of time to get a clone box ready to go.
Crimping is a technique used in Supercropping where you crush the inner herd of the stem between your thumb and index finger. It redirects growth auxins to the lower branches and helps the plant bush. It heals back stronger that ever.

This following is is a good thread on crimping and supercropping.

Supercropping - a tutorial

Harry

Great, thanks for the info Harry!

Bad news about mystery mary, she made some banana pods so i panicked a bit and clipped her (smoked the buds! actually got me a lil stoned too)

I had taken him/her out of the setup, but I then noticed that even after clipping off nearly everything (i didnt PULL the plant) that there was new leaf growth, so i put back in the table. Hopefully i got the bananas out of there before pollen got spread around. We'll see if it grows or dies... I am going to get a small clone box together and will probably move the plant there.

Here's some pictures of the two ladies I have (the total so far is 3 males, 2 females, one too young to tell, but soon i will know)

w10f1.jpg

That one's growing pretty fast. I have to stop in the hydro store to get flowering nutes (haven't been able to get there yet)

Here's the 2nd female, hard to tell from pic but definitly a girl:
wk10f2.jpg

I'm kind of at an impasse with this grow.... I think I have a couple options...

1. Just let the grow finish, with 2 (possibly 3) females.
2. Take 6-8 clones from the big female, veg them, and let the two females bud then harvest them.
3. Take the clones from big female, move the big female and make her the mommy for future clones and let the other female bud and harvest.

After learning more about grows, I feel I should have started quite a bit differently but I gotta make due with what I've got ;)

Advice certainly welcome!

That sounds like a reasonable plant to me, jaudiofan.

Maybe take a least one cone from each plant, even while flowering. At some point, you can keep the plant with the best traits to use as a mother.

What is this, a leaf?

jananners.jpg

Almost looks like hermie nanners but I can't really tell from that pic. Might want to check that out a little closer.

Harry

Maybe take a least one cone from each plant, even while flowering. At some point, you can keep the plant with the best traits to use as a mother.
I like that idea alot. gonna try to get my clonebox setup this weekend (gonna be busy though, may not happen)

What is this, a leaf?

Almost looks like hermie nanners but I can't really tell from that pic. Might want to check that out a little closer.

Harry

I think its just a leaf, but it's "pointing" at the camera so it doesnt look like a leaf... I took another pic (BIG photo):

pretty1.jpg

And, here's a pic of mystery mary, she got chopped but still growing:
mysterymary.jpg

she will go in the clonebox when it gets made, along with a couple clones from the big plant.

:rollit:

ok, been a while since i had an update, had family in town and such so i haven't had much time...

My big girl's main cola is growin really nice, i ended up pinching the stalk so i could move the cola into a horizontal position, because she was almost touching the HPS light...

maincolaunder.jpg

Here's a view of that from the top:

maincolatop.jpg

After moving it, there was this one bud on the bottom side that was getting no light... SO, I of course had to cut it off and try it!!

main_cola_sample.jpg

That bud kept me and my "lab assistant" stoned long enough to watch 3 movies and eat lots of munchies. I found myself staring at the screen with my mouth open, just in a daze. This is *definitly* some potent stuff, and it's not even ready yet... I quick dried the bud by putting the oven on 200 and timer for 5 minutes (i have a gas stove) and after the timer went off, turned the oven off and waited 30 min and the bud was dried. THe whole time i was watchign movies i was thinking "WOW i grew this stuff and i'm stoned by my own hard work... i love it!!!"

THe high was definitly different, i felt like i could get up and clean the house or just sit there in a daze (actually getting up to clean is a whole different story though)

Here's a couple pics of the 2nd girl, who has really started to grow. I think it's partly the pinching i did (i tested it on one branch on main plant, and after i saw the results i went pinch happy). SHe's really starting to bush up.

lady2.jpg

lady2top.jpg

The "mystery mary" plant is really tiny but starting to flower already, ill need to move it to a clone chamber soon so it grows... It looked really cool when flowering so I want to try and clone it after it gets bigger.

Comments welcome :)

They're coming along nicely man. Looks like a ways to go yet though...

Do you think going 12/12 from the start is right for your setup or do you think vegging a little might allow you to fill the scrog a bit more?

Are you planning on re-vegging that small one and growing it into a mother? It would be cool if you had a nice female clone for each of your stations. ;)

Yeah, it's nice to smoke bud you've grown. I'm sure it will be more potent when it's matured a little longer. :smokin:

Harry

They're coming along nicely man. Looks like a ways to go yet though...

Do you think going 12/12 from the start is right for your setup or do you think vegging a little might allow you to fill the scrog a bit more?

I was a newbie when i started this grow... Next time around i will start with clones and do 24/7 light for a while to get the screen about 60% full, then switch to 12/12. I have read that this strain is a dwarf anyways but i wanted to make sure by doing 12/12. I also found out that the nutrients i used while in veg were actually the ones i am supposed to use for flowering. Just goes to show what happens when you ask the guy at the hydro store.
Are you planning on re-vegging that small one and growing it into a mother? It would be cool if you had a nice female clone for each of your stations. ;)

Yeah, it's nice to smoke bud you've grown. I'm sure it will be more potent when it's matured a little longer. :smokin:

Harry

I am definitly planning on re-vegging the little one with the purple/black flowers and making it into a mother. it looked too cool not to! I will probably take a flowering clone off the big female and veg it until nice and bushy, make it flower / take clones / re-veg. I would try it with the original mother but plants don't usually survive harvest, right?

After i do harvest everything, i will start another journal because it will be done quite different than this grow... already thinking ahead !!

Ok, last post didnt do it... oh well! Here's some new pictures =)

First up, an update on mystery mary. I've moved her into an improvised clone chamber (read: rubbermaid container) yesterday, so here she is. She had already started to flower. This plant i just left sitting in my shed after i saw she made some man-bananas and was going to get trashed, but after 3 days i saw new leaves (after cutting off the main stalk). This baby wants to live, so I'll help out.

w13mysterymary.jpg

Here's a pic of the 3 girls i got:

w13allplants.jpg

The one on the left was the last to sprout, and last to really start growing but it's definitly exploded with growth, i think that may have to do with the pinching i did (you can see the knot in this pic, i circled it)

w13p2.jpg

Thats the only pic of that plant, nothin else to show... yet.

Here's number 5... She's really different shaped, different genetics? Maybe someone can tell me about it:

w13p5.jpg

Ok, I definitly saved the best for last. This girl was the first to show her pretty lil flowers (i airbrushed out the other plant a bit):

w13p4.jpg

Pic of the top of the big cola:

w13p4topcola.jpg

Closeup of the cola:

w13p4colacloseup.jpg

Here's a smaller cola that's come up in the back of the plant:

w13p4backcola.jpg

And the last picture, i just had to throw in there. It's this tiny bud that looks absolutely delicious!

w13p4tinybud.jpg

laters!
;)

Nice and frosty man, great job!

nice grow but you flowered way too soon. You should have filled in 40% of the holes with bud sites before going to flower.

This i already know. I said a few posts back that i should have grown a couple plants, and cloned from them for my scrog grow. Give me a little credit, this is the first time i've ever grown =P

Thanks Dr. 215, i can't wait to friggin smoke some after it's done and cured!!

ok, i missed a week there, been pretty busy.

some of the leaves on the oldest plant are starting to die but the buds look fantastic, so i'm not too worried. I've got some pictures... One of all, one of each, and some "tasty nug" pics i took ;)

all 3 females:
w15allplants.jpg

female 1:

w15f1.jpg

female 2:

w15f2.jpg

female 3:

w15f3.jpg

Here's the tasty budz section:

Nug 1... This pic looks pretty cool but the combo of HPS and camera flash totally distort the actual color of the buds (mostly white, white hairs, white crystals ;)

tastynug1.jpg

Nug 2:

tastynug2.jpg

Nug 3:

tastynug3.jpg

Nug 4:

tastynug4.jpg

Nug 5:

tastynug5.jpg

Nug 6:

tastynug6.jpg

Nug 7:

tastynug7.jpg

I'll get some pics without the hps going and maybe someone can tell me what's up with the leaves dying =)

I been wondering where you've been, jaudiofan. Yeah, the buds are looking good.

As you know, I can't help much with hydro but what's your PH running? What's the feeding schedule like? I'm sure some hydro peeps will come along to help troubleshoot.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom