N420 Grows Barney's Farm Orange Sherbert & Special Guests

I usually germ in paper towel on a plate and put the plate on my cable box.

No light until they break the surface?

The "guide" I started following is the subcool method. In a nut shell:

Turn the RR upside down.
Make a hole.
Put seed in hole.
Use a tiny piece of the RR to gently plug said hole.
Put under lights.
Wait.

(Obviously using a seedling dome, with good temp/humidity.)

Similar to what I've done with peat pellets, just using RR's instead.

So far I'm batting 5 of 8 on this round.

FastBuds:

Six Shooter
Blue Dream
Green Crack
Mexican Airlines

I dropped 2 seeds of each 2 weeks ago (11/3).

Both of the Six Shooter and Blue Dream popped, 1 Green Crack popped, and neither Mexican Airlines popped.

Not sure if I'll pop a third MA or not. If I'm going to, I better do it quick as the rest are at 1-2 weeks already. Not that it really mattters with autos, but would be nice for evening up the canopy.

The "guide" I started following is the subcool method. In a nut shell:

Turn the RR upside down.
Make a hole.
Put seed in hole.
Use a tiny piece of the RR to gently plug said hole.
Put under lights.
Wait.

(Obviously using a seedling dome, with good temp/humidity.)

Similar to what I've done with peat pellets, just using RR's instead.

So far I'm batting 5 of 8 on this round.

FastBuds:

Six Shooter
Blue Dream
Green Crack
Mexican Airlines

I dropped 2 seeds of each 2 weeks ago (11/3).

Both of the Six Shooter and Blue Dream popped, 1 Green Crack popped, and neither Mexican Airlines popped.

Not sure if I'll pop a third MA or not. If I'm going to, I better do it quick as the rest are at 1-2 weeks already. Not that it really mattters with autos, but would be nice for evening up the canopy.
I just dropped mine in the hole in the Rr and have them in the dark right now. Maybe I should just rip a little piece off another RR and put it in the hole

Seeds have been dropped!
20191116_162044.jpg
20191116_162507.jpg
20191116_162514.jpg
nice choice with the breeder and the Pog.

Y'all ain't alone with that. Just sayin. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I have it printed on a mat and just lift it now , she is that used to hearing it. I did so many dropped megacrop mentions thos weekend too but she still thinks it is for me to drink while in the grow room relaxing in the sunshine , having g my balls massaged by fan leaves !!!.

Mine isn't overly interested in the mechanics of it all it seems. I'm ok with that, but if she were at least semi-interested then maybe she wouldn't roll her eyes when I walk off down to the basement.

On the other hand, I don't have to admit to her that I fucked up my plumbing job, and am redoing it completely. Whoopsie! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just dropped mine in the hole in the Rr and have them in the dark right now. Maybe I should just rip a little piece off another RR and put it in the hole
This is how I germ from the off now. No soaking just a damp RR and kept moist on prop. I do keep an eye on them though mate. the cubes can grip the seed hull too tightly and also snag on the spongy elements. I had to coax a good few up this round. Do prefer thisbwas though and is my most successful.
On the Rdwc front. cover your pots with reflective material to keep the heat out of the buckets. I have diary with my 8pot rdwc that highlights how easy it can all go seriously wrong, quickly. I was rescued by hydroguard following advice from some great members here. Another for me was to put my airpump lines down through the net pots so the stones lift with the buckets , thisbavoids ripping roots to pieces checking inside ect...
With air pumps , you really do need enough minute bubbles to disturb the surface into creating dissolvable oxygen. it is not to do with the bubbles going past your roots so much as it is dragging oxygen from the surface after the bubbles burst on it. smaller the better. I used large flat stones after tryinfnsonmany other ways including the diy bubble rings with soaker hose. Also to help with the temp going from the pump to the stones , I used hose pipe into the inlet hole for the air pump , which I fed to the outside roof eave( or out of room for cooler air). keeping the res cool is the key to success mate. the perfect temp for creating Dissolvable Oxygen (D.o) is 21°c this is also the perfect temp for pythos ( root rot) and this is where the hydroguard comes in. If you plan on using anything with life in it for the rootzone ( zyms, bennies , teas ect then hydroguard will work with them . If your not using any life then you can run a sterile res. There are products on the market that will kill all bennies and non bennie bacteria dead. Silver roots is one I have for this type of res and it is also for room cleaning down too. it has silver ions/elements to stabilise very well and will give our white healthy roots with no life possible.
quick summary and checklist I found worked for me was,

Res temp no higher than 19°c,
flat large airstones for smaller D.o bubbles,
Air pipe through net pot to protect roots when lifting lid,
Feed in pipe into net pot until roots can reach the water for top feeding ( not with rockwool !!), then back to side of bucket when they do
Insulated buckets and lids to deflect heat and contain cool,
HYDROGUARD !. lol
hope it makes sense. watch for clogged return outlets in buckets once roots get busy , they can search a long way and block the exit holes so they keep filling to over spilling.
Any way I can help give me a nudge , will be on here watching too so good luck mate. it is a great medium once confident.

This is how I germ from the off now. No soaking just a damp RR and kept moist on prop. I do keep an eye on them though mate. the cubes can grip the seed hull too tightly and also snag on the spongy elements. I had to coax a good few up this round. Do prefer thisbwas though and is my most successful.
On the Rdwc front. cover your pots with reflective material to keep the heat out of the buckets. I have diary with my 8pot rdwc that highlights how easy it can all go seriously wrong, quickly. I was rescued by hydroguard following advice from some great members here. Another for me was to put my airpump lines down through the net pots so the stones lift with the buckets , thisbavoids ripping roots to pieces checking inside ect...
With air pumps , you really do need enough minute bubbles to disturb the surface into creating dissolvable oxygen. it is not to do with the bubbles going past your roots so much as it is dragging oxygen from the surface after the bubbles burst on it. smaller the better. I used large flat stones after tryinfnsonmany other ways including the diy bubble rings with soaker hose. Also to help with the temp going from the pump to the stones , I used hose pipe into the inlet hole for the air pump , which I fed to the outside roof eave( or out of room for cooler air). keeping the res cool is the key to success mate. the perfect temp for creating Dissolvable Oxygen (D.o) is 21°c this is also the perfect temp for pythos ( root rot) and this is where the hydroguard comes in. If you plan on using anything with life in it for the rootzone ( zyms, bennies , teas ect then hydroguard will work with them . If your not using any life then you can run a sterile res. There are products on the market that will kill all bennies and non bennie bacteria dead. Silver roots is one I have for this type of res and it is also for room cleaning down too. it has silver ions/elements to stabilise very well and will give our white healthy roots with no life possible.
quick summary and checklist I found worked for me was,

Res temp no higher than 19°c,
flat large airstones for smaller D.o bubbles,
Air pipe through net pot to protect roots when lifting lid,
Feed in pipe into net pot until roots can reach the water for top feeding ( not with rockwool !!), then back to side of bucket when they do
Insulated buckets and lids to deflect heat and contain cool,
HYDROGUARD !. lol
hope it makes sense. watch for clogged return outlets in buckets once roots get busy , they can search a long way and block the exit holes so they keep filling to over spilling.
Any way I can help give me a nudge , will be on here watching too so good luck mate. it is a great medium once confident.
Thanks Gg much appreciated. My first thought was to run my air line though a hole in the side of the bucket near the top had seen that on some reading I had done but your point about the roots being tangled up with the air stone does make sense I didn't think about that may have to rethink the plan.I have the medium size cylinder air stones to use did a test run and seemed to create a nice amount of bubbles made it look like the water was boiling probably going to be a wait and see kinda thing and can upgrade if I have to. My air pump is a strong one from GH tried not to skimp on it knowing how important keeping the res oxygenated. I plan on keeping the pump outside the tent to draw the cool air from the garage where the tent is set up being winter it's about 60 degrees at the moment and thought it would help keep the res cool. I think I will look into the insulation I know I've seen that reflective wrap stuff on other Dwc grows just got to source some out. I was planning on using Advanced Nutrients Voodoo Juice that seems to have the same ingredients as Hydroguard because you can't get Hydroguard here in Canada for some reason. Was also going to use Advanced Nutrients senziym as my enzyme until I run out of it then probably get some Z9. I will definitely be giving you a shout as I go to help me sort things out. Good to see you Gg and thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

I have it printed on a mat and just lift it now , she is that used to hearing it. I did so many dropped megacrop mentions thos weekend too but she still thinks it is for me to drink while in the grow room relaxing in the sunshine , having g my balls massaged by fan leaves !!!.
I spat out my drink when I read this :rofl: :rofl:

Wow, I think you figured out the MC :thumb:
Thanks Mr. S definitely getting things dialed in. They are that beautiful medium green tone achieved when properly feeding Mega Crop to cannabis. lol Thanks @farside05
Still seeing some of the K deficiency and with following along with Gg 's journal farside posted his feed chart and it looks to me you can go up to 2.5 ec safely I'm currently feeding at 2.0 ec so I feel confident continuing to bump up the feed

Thanks Gg much appreciated. My first thought was to run my air line though a hole in the side of the bucket near the top had seen that on some reading I had done but your point about the roots being tangled up with the air stone does make sense I didn't think about that may have to rethink the plan.I have the medium size cylinder air stones to use did a test run and seemed to create a nice amount of bubbles made it look like the water was boiling probably going to be a wait and see kinda thing and can upgrade if I have to. My air pump is a strong one from GH tried not to skimp on it knowing how important keeping the res oxygenated. I plan on keeping the pump outside the tent to draw the cool air from the garage where the tent is set up being winter it's about 60 degrees at the moment and thought it would help keep the res cool. I think I will look into the insulation I know I've seen that reflective wrap stuff on other Dwc grows just got to source some out. I was planning on using Advanced Nutrients Voodoo Juice that seems to have the same ingredients as Hydroguard because you can't get Hydroguard here in Canada for some reason. Was also going to use Advanced Nutrients senziym as my enzyme until I run out of it then probably get some Z9. I will definitely be giving you a shout as I go to help me sort things out. Good to see you Gg and thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
My pleasure mate. I struggled with hydroguard sourcing here in uk too. I think one of the compounds is banned in some countries outside the US. Only 1 supplier to the uk I found. I do have a growing contact in Canada that runs a grow shop there. He did offer a while back to supply products at a better price than I could source. I could hit him up and ask if it's available and link you if he has it. I do know the zyms and stuff work to the same end and the Z used to get a mention a lot too.
The insulation for pots is a cheap single layer bubblefoil. readily available and so bloody useful for deflection when wrapped around anything.
Another issue I found was the actual noise of the system running. Boy those airstones dance and sing !. You will go on a lot of journeys to look at bubbles very soon !!!. lol. I became a bubbleologist lol. Even a system that uses electrolysis and plates to create the perfect bubbles but bloody expensive for each pot. You will love the growth rate N. good luck mate

How's it going N?! How are the beans coming on? I can't really advise much on the DWC as I'm still too new to it. I can't advise too much on the germinating either as I've only germinated one seed for DWC and I did something pretty unorthodox with that one. The rapid rooters are very good though and hopefully you'll see something soon. Loving the GZ's by the way. They're looking really good. Beautiful leaves. Hope you're well bud.

:passitleft:

My pleasure mate. I struggled with hydroguard sourcing here in uk too. I think one of the compounds is banned in some countries outside the US. Only 1 supplier to the uk I found. I do have a growing contact in Canada that runs a grow shop there. He did offer a while back to supply products at a better price than I could source. I could hit him up and ask if it's available and link you if he has it. I do know the zyms and stuff work to the same end and the Z used to get a mention a lot too.
The insulation for pots is a cheap single layer bubblefoil. readily available and so bloody useful for deflection when wrapped around anything.
Another issue I found was the actual noise of the system running. Boy those airstones dance and sing !. You will go on a lot of journeys to look at bubbles very soon !!!. lol. I became a bubbleologist lol. Even a system that uses electrolysis and plates to create the perfect bubbles but bloody expensive for each pot. You will love the growth rate N. good luck mate
Thank you Gg I actually did see some Hydroguard at Wayfair a while back randomly should have jumped on it because now it's sold out and not sure they will get it back. If you could source it out from your buddy here that would be greatly appreciated but I understand it's not the easiest product to track down but you never know. I did actually look into the foil insulation stuff and found some at a local home improvement store for $25 will probably pick it up and at the least use it for the tops of the buckets to keep the light out. I know what you mean about the noise I set up a test run and ya that pump can sing it vibrates pretty good was thinking I would put it on something to make it higher then the buckets because I read that water can come down the air tube if its lower I hope the pump doesn't vibrate itself right off what I have it on lol. Appreciate the suggestions Gg stuff I didn't really think about luckily I have some time to get things together waiting for the seedlings to show themselves.

How's it going N?! How are the beans coming on? I can't really advise much on the DWC as I'm still too new to it. I can't advise too much on the germinating either as I've only germinated one seed for DWC and I did something pretty unorthodox with that one. The rapid rooters are very good though and hopefully you'll see something soon. Loving the GZ's by the way. They're looking really good. Beautiful leaves. Hope you're well bud.

:passitleft:
I'm good prof and happy to see you! The seeds have not come out of the rooter's yet but I did have a peek and they have all cracked and have some nice looking tap roots. 3 of them look like they need to turn themselves around to come out of the rooter so I'm hoping they will pop their heads out in a day or 2. Ya prof loving the Gz so far they are definitely floppy like you mentioned I already have had to stake them. Lookin to do a trim on them in the next few days cutting out some of the lower stuff and a bit of a defoil as well. They should be some good smoke and should make Mrs. N happy to have some stronger meds in the house. Hope your well buddy your Barney's girls are looking fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom