Nanners 5 days before Harvest

Blue Mystic,due to be chopped in 5 days-Guess she figures if it's going to get done,she's going to have to do it herself!
Weird flower- Nanners and Pistils from the same calyx....
Unfortunately for her,her fun is going to be cut short...

Nanners5.JPG

Im in the same situation now in 65days and found some nanners what should i do…
Lower your feed and ride it out. If you get a couple of feminized seeds that's not the end of the world. Cheers!

I mean i’m in the last 5 day befor i chop my plant down and i found some nanners

you can pick off what you see but the damage is probably done. there will likely be some in the interior of the buds you won't get to til after harvest.

don't use any seeds it produces. they will be genetic nightmares, prone to hermie, and likely to fuck up your other grows going forward.

you can pick off what you see but the damage is probably done. there will likely be some in the interior of the buds you won't get to til after harvest.

don't use any seeds it produces. they will be genetic nightmares, prone to hermie, and likely to fuck up your other grows going forward.
Some of my best crosses have all been accidental. Some commercial examples are Gorilla Glue and Chemdog that wouldn't exist otherwise, they were all pollinated accidentally by nanners!

I've gone through enough seeds to know that in every batch there is a pheno that's gonna throw nanners. Just because it's latent in the genetic pool doesn't mean the offsprings will express the same traits. It's latent in most strains, some more than others but it's the plants natural response to produce offsprings.

Some of my best crosses have all been accidental. Some commercial examples are Gorilla Glue and Chemdog that wouldn't exist otherwise, they were all pollinated accidentally by nanners!

complete myth. absolutely denied by the breeders.

I've gone through enough seeds to know that in every batch there is a pheno that's gonna throw nanners.

seems you have shitty genetics. once it goes that way it's hard to clean it up

Just because it's latent in the genetic pool doesn't mean the offsprings will express the same traits.

almost guaranteed if you are running hermies consistent. there are other growers i know have gone down the rabbit hole and grow consistently fucked crops now.

It's latent in most strains, some more than others but it's the plants natural response to produce offsprings.

the type of plant we grow will allow it for sure. it takes a fair bit of work to get any real reg strain to self. that is where real fem seeds are developed, and they are intended to be stable.

a plant going hermie on it's own without working it is genetically unstable and shouldn't be trusted going forward.

no self-respecting breeder would allow it. i've had seedbanks replace/refund entire orders because of it. half my current grow was a promo over this very issue.

Im in the same situation now in 65days and found some nanners what should i do…
With only another 5 days to go there is nothing much to do. You could pinch them off or squeeze them with a set of eyebrow pluckers.

Based on my experience it really is not all that unusual to come across a couple of male flowers showing up when a female plant has been flowering for 9 weeks or more.

A lot different of a story if you were finding them at about the 30th day after flowering started.

complete myth. absolutely denied by the breeders.

seems you have shitty genetics. once it goes that way it's hard to clean it up

almost guaranteed if you are running hermies consistent. there are other growers i know have gone down the rabbit hole and grow consistently fucked crops now.

the type of plant we grow will allow it for sure. it takes a fair bit of work to get any real reg strain to self. that is where real fem seeds are developed, and they are intended to be stable.

a plant going hermie on it's own without working it is genetically unstable and shouldn't be trusted going forward.

no self-respecting breeder would allow it. i've had seedbanks replace/refund entire orders because of it. half my current grow was a promo over this very issue.
I don't think anyone knows who's the breeder of Chemdog is since it came from an accidental seeded bud from old sayings? Supposed to be Sour D I think or really closely related.

I don't know about breeders, I only talk from my own anecdotal experience? Back in the day everything hermied and was seeded, especially if you didn't have your environment in check.

I think we have to agree to disagree on this one. I've sprouted old seeds from seeded bud from old lost genetics. Some of them have been absolutely stellar and different from all the commercial shit we have today. I don't bash genetics just because they have undesired traits in their genetic pool, but I'm oldschool in that sense I guess! Cheers!

I don't think anyone knows who's the breeder of Chemdog is since it came from an accidental seeded bud from old sayings? Supposed to be Sour D I think or really closely related.

i think you are correct. the rest is myth building. no respected breeder works with selfed seed. even femmed seed is made with two plants. it's only home breeders who self seed for fem.

I don't know about breeders, I only talk from my own anecdotal experience? Back in the day everything hermied and was seeded, especially if you didn't have your environment in check.

history lesson. gather 'round chillrin whilst i whistle through my teeth...

back in the day nothing hermied.

this whole mess was created because of sensimilla. if you grew in the 70's or earlier, through most of the 80's, there was no such thing as a hermie cause everyone grew stable regs. you got male or a female, and nothing in between. they stayed that way til smoke do them part.

in the late 70's and early 80's sinsemilla came into vogue. and has stayed there ever since. sensmilla is just female flower without seed. at first it was simply regs grown in the absence of males. that's it. nothing fancy, but it meant you were tossing at least 50% of your plants.

armed with the knowledge that cannabis is a dichotomous plant, a bunch of breeders went to work creating safe spaces for cannabis that felt out of place... err.. kidding .. they smashed a bunch of shit together to create fem only seed.

that's where sts and cs come into play. they are chemicals that stress the female plant in a particular chemical way to produce male parts and pollen. both are from the motion picture film industry, which is how i found out about femmed seed in the early 80's, i was working in film. everyone started trying to steal the chemicals.

anywho, femmed seed always starts from a stable photo reg. the pollen is then used on another stable female photo reg. both of those plants are trashed, and the seed from the second plant is supposed to be stable female photo. in reality, it doesn't always work that way, and a number of unstable hermies are produced as well.

the pollen and seed from these plants is unstable and genetically inferior. it's also fucking up the gene pool as a bunch of amateurs keep whacking junk together.

I think we have to agree to disagree on this one. I've sprouted old seeds from seeded bud from old lost genetics.

means nothing if they came from a proper breeder who knew what they were doing, and had a stable back catalogue.
the old lost genetics that were most likely more stable. there's a lot of money in that now as breeders are trying to find stuff that wasn't fucked over.

that's why stable landrace is so lucrative. single plants worth a million or more.

Some of them have been absolutely stellar and different from all the commercial shit we have today. I don't bash genetics just because they have undesired traits in their genetic pool, but I'm oldschool in that sense I guess!

i work with med where it's super important and central to what we do.

i think you are correct. the rest is myth building. no respected breeder works with selfed seed. even femmed seed is made with two plants. it's only home breeders who self seed for fem.

back in the day nothing hermied. this whole mess was created because of sensimilla. if you grew in the 70's or earlier, through most of the 80's, there was no such thing as a hermie cause everyone grew stable regs. you got male or a female, and nothing in between. they stayed that way til smoke do them part.

in the late 70's and early 80's sinsemilla came into vogue. and has stayed there ever since. sensmilla is just female flower without seed. at first it was simply regs grown in the absence of males. that's it. nothing fancy, but it meant you were tossing at least 50% of your plants.

armed with the knowledge that cannabis is a dichotomous plant, a bunch of breeders went to work creating safe spaces for cannabis that felt out of place... err.. kidding .. they smashed a bunch of shit together to create fem only seed.

that's where sts and cs come into play. they are chemicals that stress the female plant in a particular chemical way to produce male parts and pollen. both are from the motion picture film industry, which is how i found out about femmed seed in the early 80's, i was working in film. everyone started trying to steal the chemicals.

anywho, femmed seed always starts from a stable reg. the pollen is then used on another stable female reg. both of those plants are trashed, and the seed from the second plant is supposed to be stable female reg. in reality, it doesn't always work that way, and a number of unstable hermies are produced as well.

the pollen and seed from these plants is unstable and genetically inferior. it's also fucking up the gene pool as a bunch of amateurs keep whacking junk together.

means nothing if they came from a proper breeder who knew what they were doing, and had a stable back catalogue.
the old lost genetics that were most likely more stable. there's a lot of money in that now as breeders are trying to find stukk that wasn't fucked over.

that's why stable landrace is so lucrative. single plants worth a million or more.

You're totally right but you can better save the story time for the kids. I started growing in the early nineties and I remember us having a lot of problems with hermies back then indoors. Maybe we were not as good growers back then? I guess it also depends how far back you look?

Of course you should only grow stable genetics if you have the opportunity to do so, that is a given. What I mean is you could get a good stable pheno out of the bunch and it doesn't take a lot to sprout a seed and put it straight under 12/12 instead of wasting a potential good pheno?

I personally only work with trusted stable genetics from reputable breeders so any offspring should be good if anything. I may have old pollen laying around or floating around and I don't really care if I get a couple of seeds.

Everyone doesn't have the same opportunities as we do and some places its impossible and very illegal to source seeds.

I stress-hermied a Durban Poison from Dutch Passion in 2013. I grew a lot of DP and some crossed with Northern Lights from that seed. Out of a couple of dozen plants I saw only a couple more hermies. Granted, that was stress-hermied, the genetics were good. I bought some Girl Scout Cookies last year and they all hermied. That's bum genetics.

back in the day nothing hermied.

this whole mess was created because of sensimilla. if you grew in the 70's or earlier, through most of the 80's, there was no such thing as a hermie cause everyone grew stable regs. you got male or a female, and nothing in between. they stayed that way til smoke do them part.

anywho, femmed seed always starts from a stable photo reg. the pollen is then used on another stable female photo reg. both of those plants are trashed, and the seed from the second plant is supposed to be stable female photo. in reality, it doesn't always work that way, and a number of unstable hermies are produced as well.

the old lost genetics that were most likely more stable. there's a lot of money in that now as breeders are trying to find stuff that wasn't fucked over.

I’m gonna disagree with some of what you’re whistling. I grew in the 70s, in Humboldt, as sinsemilla was just taking off. We grew what seeds we had, which was for the most part Mexican ragweed, once in a while columbian, Acapulco gold, or rarely Thai Even then we got about 2-5% hermaphrodites. The rest of the plants were 50/50 male/female. This was way before feminized seeds or auto flowers. Btw, most flowering plants are dicots with the exception of the family gramineae (grasses), I believe the term you want is dioecious (one plant one sex), vs monoecious one plant both sexes). Cannabis can be either, though it’s strongly weighted towards dioecious, hence about 5% hermies, even in the wild.

I absolutely agree that “backyard breeding” for the most part produces crap, as well as diluting the gene pool with inferior and/or unstable genetics.

There is a difference between a true hermaphrodite and a plant that rodalizes (self fertilized via nanners). However, even then there can be genetic differences, even though the dna is female and from the same plant, it can recombine in different ways, usually it’s a close copy of the female parent, but their is always a chance of recessive genes expressing, usually not for the best.

I’m gonna disagree with some of what you’re whistling. I grew in the 70s, in Humboldt, as sinsemilla was just taking off.

the breeding process was extremely simplified in my example as i did not want to get into back breeding etc.

We grew what seeds we had, which was for the most part Mexican ragweed, once in a while columbian, Acapulco gold, or rarely Thai Even then we got about 2-5% hermaphrodites.

thai strains have always been prone. actually i watch anything sativa dominant. if you trace the dna it seems that thai in particular hybridized at some time in the past, likely through human interference, then regained in the wild.

2 - 5% is not the 98% that a lot of hermie growers here are consistently experiencing. these are guys that equate hermies to femmed seed and have convinced themselves cannabis is a self-propagating plant.

by continually growing them out, they've permanently changed their genetics, and strengthened the unwanted trait.

I believe the term you want is dioecious (one plant one sex), vs monoecious one plant both sexes). Cannabis can be either, though it’s strongly weighted towards dioecious, hence about 5% hermies, even in the wild.

the difference was it was rare. it's not rare at all now. you used to have to work to get a plant to hermie, and they would show much earlier. if you follow the journals most hermies are now showing really late after flower set.

I absolutely agree that “backyard breeding” for the most part produces crap, as well as diluting the gene pool with inferior and/or unstable genetics.

There is a difference between a true hermaphrodite and a plant that rodalizes (self fertilized via nanners).

selfed-seed was not safe even when rodalization was a primary fem method. proper breeders always gathered pollen and fertilized a second plant of the same strain with it. using selfed seed is a big part of what messed up the current gene pool.

a cs or sts application has always been more stable than rodalization through other methods. even then, the best breeders never self the seed.

However, even then there can be genetic differences, even though the dna is female and from the same plant, it can recombine in different ways, usually it’s a close copy of the female parent, but their is always a chance of recessive genes expressing, usually not for the best.

what we've been doing is encouraging folk to strengthen undesirable traits in the home boy market. it's why commercial growers for dispensaries are all going back to regs for stability and to control their own genetics.

things are a lot looser in the states. here commercial growers are not allowed to have their own dispensaries, and dispensaries can't grow their own product.

Back
Top Bottom