Need help with light set up

Tmac23

Hey first time grower here I have a 48"x24"x60"grow tent I was wondering what would be a good light set up for 4 plants? Any advice greatly appreciated

A 600w hps would be plenty. If you are concerned about heat the lec 315 or lec 630 would do a good job. LED are an option, personally, I build my own cob style light but that option isn't for everyone. Look at the sponsors here first, I would recomend a pacific lighting concepts cob light or a hipoint led ragemax. Both would do a great job in a 2x4. Both would cover a 4x4 but I think the hipoint would do a better job in a 4x4.since it is 750 watts.

A 400 watt MH/HPS light kit is about 150 and comes with timer, ratcheting ropes, and an assortment of hoods. 400 watts is going to be perfectly adequate for that space.

You can get CFL setups to produce similar light, but then you generally have to come up with your own fixtures, ways to hang, and you'll need them much closer to the plants.

Edit: The same kits come in 600 so if you're not of mind to save electricity just go for 600, they're only a few bucks more. But 400 is adequate

600 draw watts of LED or a 600 watt dimmable MH/HPS. If the heat is too much just dim it down. LED would be a good option since that is a shorter tent.

My good ol' T5 has served me well. Follow along with my current Jock vs Jack grow :)

The most important questions to ask, the ones that will lead you in the right direction, is how much grow room (height) do you need. How do you plan to grow your plants?

You have 60" to work with. Subtract 12" for grow containers. Subtract another 12 for overhead (fans, filter, lights). Let's subtract another 12" for distance from canopy to lamp. We are left with a maximum plant height of 24".

If you can increase your overhead space by placing the main fan and filter outside the tent I'd consider LED else 400W HID SCroG or dual 250W HID dropped closer to the plants. That's winging it. I'd give it some thought.

/Obi

This might be more of a lighting question than a flowering question, but since it's about going into flower I thought I would poll the gurus here too. I have a total of 6'10" vertical space in my tent. Light and hangers 1 foot, distance to plant from light 1-2 feet , pot height 1 foot, plants are a little more than 1 foot tall right now, leaving me only 2-3 feet left for vertical growth. Having never taken a crop into flower before I not sure what to expect in the way of growth. I am running 1 plant that is an Indica dominant strain, but the rest are Sativa dominant Hybrids. So it come down how soon to start adjusting light to get to 12/12.

OPINIONS/OPTIONS NEEDED!!-
Part 1 of 2 part question: After doing all measurements, it has come to my attention that after I install the new 1000W HPS and adjusting for new lighting distance from plants (1-2 feet, chime in if this is incorrect) I only have 2 feet of growth room left. So I have decided to adjust my 24/0 lighting by 1 hour a day until I get to 12/12 over the next 12 days.?-
Part 2 of 2
I have 2 of 4 plants already on the first week of flowering nutes but other 2 are still at end of veg nutes, can I skip last week or so of veg feeding schedule and go right to fist week of flowering nutes? (Nutes are DaKine 420 powdered nutes, 3 part system plus a micronutrient for root mass)
Any thoughts on this would be a great help.

1. The indica should be fine with the stretch, the sativa may be a problem. Sativa will stretch 2 to 3 times. You may have to bend it around some to keep it out of the light. You don't need to reduce the light cycle, flip strait to 12/12. You are better off with 18/6 in the future.

2. It depends on the maturity of the plant. If it is from clone you can flip it any time you want. If from seed it should be at least 4 weeks and at that you want to make sure it has female pistols before flip. Make sure you start as soon as you can because of your hieght issue. In the sativa, look at the nutes you are using, you want to make sure there is NO nitrogen or as little as possible to help with stretch. Flip to 12/12 asap and full bloom nutes.

Tmac-
I'd do the 600W HPS if price is a concern and you can control the heat.

Back
Top Bottom