New Grower: First Journal For Sativa Dominant Jack Herer Hybrid

Hi Drey,
everyone has their own way of drying but a couple of things to keep in mind.
I wrap in newsp[rint for 2-3 days.
If the buds are damp they will absorb the inks in the newsprint. Most are vegetable based but it's best if you can use brown paper bags
Once it is dry enough - leaves are crisp but the buds are still at 50% or more I trimmed it down and put all of the nugs into large 32 oz glass jars with a 62% Boveda and a hygrometer to stay on top of temp and humidity. I burp the jars daily - most days twice and watch to make sure it stays at <55%RH - once it falls below 50% I stop burping.
This is interesting. Maybe it was typos, but you don't want to go below 55% RH. 58-62% is ideal IMHO.

Cannabis always needs to be stored in environments below 65 percent RH to remain safe for consumption. Anytime cannabis is exposed to humidity levels above 65 percent, it is at risk of mold and microbial contamination. Our testing shows that exposing cannabis to high humidity for even a few hours can take it from dry to being at risk of mold propagation in less than a day. The scary part is that mold is difficult to see, and consuming moldy cannabis can introduce a significant health risk to even healthy individuals — not to mention the added risk for medical cannabis consumers such as those with compromised immune systems.

Boveda president Sean Knutsen.
Courtesy of Boveda
What's the right level of moisture a bud should have? At what point does it get too dry?

Industry standards have identified 55 to 65 percent RH to be the safest and most optimal range to store cannabis. We found that the negative effects of evaporation on cannabis potency and quality begin around 50 percent RH. What is “too dry” is difficult to define — the factors we recognize as important to most consumers are potency and smoking experience. The evaporation that occurs below 55 percent RH is compromising potency and quality every day the flower is at those levels. Most strains also begin to deliver a harsh taste or experience as they continue to lose moisture below 50 percent RH.

Beyond just evaporation impacting potency, as the bud dries, its trichomes, which hold the terpenes and cannabinoids, become brittle and are prone to breaking off, leaving the consumer less of the good stuff. We advocate storing cannabis in that safe zone below 65 percent RH and above 50 percent RH. Going lower begins to compromise the experience.

He mentions this at the end: below 65 percent RH and above 50 percent RH. Below 55% RH most growers will tell you the potency starts to degrade.

Hi Drey,

If the buds are damp they will absorb the inks in the newsprint. Most are vegetable based but it's best if you can use brown paper bags

This is interesting. Maybe it was typos, but you don't want to go below 55% RH. 58-62% is ideal IMHO.

Cannabis always needs to be stored in environments below 65 percent RH to remain safe for consumption. Anytime cannabis is exposed to humidity levels above 65 percent, it is at risk of mold and microbial contamination. Our testing shows that exposing cannabis to high humidity for even a few hours can take it from dry to being at risk of mold propagation in less than a day. The scary part is that mold is difficult to see, and consuming moldy cannabis can introduce a significant health risk to even healthy individuals — not to mention the added risk for medical cannabis consumers such as those with compromised immune systems.

Courtesy of Boveda
What's the right level of moisture a bud should have? At what point does it get too dry?

Industry standards have identified 55 to 65 percent RH to be the safest and most optimal range to store cannabis. We found that the negative effects of evaporation on cannabis potency and quality begin around 50 percent RH. What is “too dry” is difficult to define — the factors we recognize as important to most consumers are potency and smoking experience. The evaporation that occurs below 55 percent RH is compromising potency and quality every day the flower is at those levels. Most strains also begin to deliver a harsh taste or experience as they continue to lose moisture below 50 percent RH.

Beyond just evaporation impacting potency, as the bud dries, its trichomes, which hold the terpenes and cannabinoids, become brittle and are prone to breaking off, leaving the consumer less of the good stuff. We advocate storing cannabis in that safe zone below 65 percent RH and above 50 percent RH. Going lower begins to compromise the experience.

He mentions this at the end: below 65 percent RH and above 50 percent RH. Below 55% RH most growers will tell you the potency starts to degrade.
Thats true, THC will start to degrade below 55% and winter is harder to dry cannabis due to the RH dropping.
The lowest my RH has been this year is in the high 40s low 50s. I usually cut the plant twice at the base. But during the winter just single cut at the base to slow drying time down.
Glad you posted that Mr. Sauga, very important info.

Cheers

Hi Drey,

Courtesy of Boveda

Dang Dude, I love seeing that 420 Magaizine logo on your moniker nowdays, congatulations again.

I live in a really dry climate - and it is winter. 60%+_ humidity is just not possible. I can get ny dry rack to 40%+ - and a plant seems to dry in about 5-7 days. Once dry I place with a 62% Boveda pack into glass jars (after trim of course) and burp the jars until they hit 50% or so RH inside the jar. The smell is overwhelmingly good - I keep saying I wiosh we had smellovision here!

How's the new gig?

As always, thank you for your feedback, you make me a better grower! :hug:

Hi Drey,

Courtesy of Boveda

This may also be a measurement issue. I place hygrometers inside the glass jars so I can see then - so on the edge next to the glass. I assume since I am using 62% Boveda that the RH is actually higher than what I am showing - which is VERY uniform at 49%-51%. It doesn't change for days and days even after burping. I have also smoke tested it and it does burn well and doesn't need a light once started. It tastes amazing! The buds feel plump, spongy and dry enough to smoke.

One question; is there any way to reconstitute buds that smell bad? I mean they smoke okay, but they smell like hay. This is from a black market supplier a few months agi, it was awesome when I bought it but it has not held up!

Plant #1 harvest went well, just over 4 dry ounces total and OMG what an amazing soke this has turned out to be!

Now my #2 and #3 are almost ready. I'm having an easier time holding out with several oz's of beautiful buds curing in my fridge. This was my first time through so the next harvest markls the turning point in a perpetual grow. I have it set to yield me 3-5 plants at harvest every 2-4 weeks.

To accomplish this I have two grow tents in addition to a dedicated flower room. Basically I use one tent to service seeds and clones, more limited light higher humidity and variable schedules depending on where I am with starting grows. Currently in my Seeds & Cloines I have 10 more Sativa's (mix of Durban Poison and Jack Herrer) and 10 Indica dominant seedlings from True North Seed Bank.

I am finding my Sativa's are almost all genetically from the equator (is this true for all sativa strains?). They LOVE to flower for a long time. My first plant stayed in flower for 11 weeks. These next two will be harvested at 12 weeks in flower and have been growing since July! I am hopeful my new Indica dominant giurls will be shorter flowering periods.

My veg tent is just that, a dedicated veg tent that is always full (8 plants in a 2x4 tent). The way this works is my seeds and clones live in their tent for about 2-3 months. Once they are firmly established (amost root bound) I put them into 5 gal fabric pots and leave them in their tent until I harvest anmd move from veg to flower. On average my planst spend 2 months at each stage - seed or clone for ~2 months and veg for 2 months. I use the veg tent to host myt Mothers as well so I can maintain my favorite strains usiing clones. Next summer I may try to get soime crosses of my favorite strains.

The flowing room is also a dedicated space only for flowering girls. It holds about 10-12 plants depending on size. Sativa's have tended to grow bigger - a lot bigger as they can double in size during flower. To date myt Sativa dominant strains seem to like at LEAST 10 weeks of flowering. Even at 12-13 weeks they continue to put out white pistiless and new growth.

So, the way the perpetiual gropw works is; every two or three weeks I harvest the plants that are ready on the flower room. I move my most mature veg ladies into flower. The plants that leave the veg tent are replaced with the most mature seeds and clones - that have been potted and rooted into ther 5 gallon bags for flowering. At that time I will clone the strains I want to keep and start a new crop of sedlings if I have any. I do so much cloning I have about 14 strains in various stages of growth at any one time. I name and number all of them to track time at each step.

I hope this is helpful for any new growers considering a perpetual grow! Good luck, love and light to all of you!

Dang Dude, I love seeing that 420 Magaizine logo on your moniker nowdays, congatulations again.
Thanks DRey! It's still taking me time to get adjusted to it too!
Once dry I place with a 62% Boveda pack into glass jars
The Boveda's will not bring the RH to 62%, but I'm guessing you know that already. They are designed to maintain an RH already set.
How's the new gig?
Quiet so far. But I think that's going to change soon. :)
As always, thank you for your feedback, you make me a better grower!
I was confused so I wanted to make sure you weren't either. ;)
This may also be a measurement issue. I place hygrometers inside the glass jars so I can see then - so on the edge next to the glass. I assume since I am using 62% Boveda that the RH is actually higher than what I am showing - which is VERY uniform at 49%-51%. It doesn't change for days and days even after burping. I have also smoke tested it and it does burn well and doesn't need a light once started. It tastes amazing! The buds feel plump, spongy and dry enough to smoke.
I think the bottom line is if you are happy with the results then don't change a thing. It's working!
One question; is there any way to reconstitute buds that smell bad? I mean they smoke okay, but they smell like hay.
No. It's unusual if it smells like hay after a proper cure. Once the chlorophyll dissipates the hay smell goes away. Too fast a dry and cure and it will hang around.

Harvest #2 and #3 today! These plants have been in flower for almost 12 weeks! I kept think just one more day but they are so ripe and fruity now I decided to pull both. I have hung to dry for a few days with my trailer humidifier. In my very dry climate and especially in wintertime, I have a hard time getting my tents or rooms above 40% RH.

In the winters here it takes about 5 days of hang time to dry (up to 7 days in summer). I then cut and trim and let the buds sit out for another day before putting them into glass jars to cure. I bars daily and add a Boveda 62% pack and a hygrometer to watch the RH.

For everyone who has helped me this year; :thumb: . I started growing as a Covid Quarantine hobby and have been amazed at how fun and fulfilling this hobby has been for me. It, and all of you, saved me from the crippling depression of being stuck at home and working from home.

What I did not expect is how fucking complicated it is to grow this weed well. Every step from germinating seeds, to lights to nutrients, to cloning, keeping Mother's even Bonsai of my Mother plants - it has been a real joy to have so many of you share your knowledge and passion for this beautiful hobby we all share.

I completed the harvest of my first crop of three plants in 2020. They are one of the few bright lights in an otherwise dark year. I was successful because of your help. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart (and my bong)!
:Namaste:

Thanks DRey! It's still taking me time to get adjusted to it too!

The Boveda's will not bring the RH to 62%, but I'm guessing you know that already. They are designed to maintain an RH already set.

Quiet so far. But I think that's going to change soon. :)

I was confused so I wanted to make sure you weren't either. ;)

I think the bottom line is if you are happy with the results then don't change a thing. It's working!

No. It's unusual if it smells like hay after a proper cure. Once the chlorophyll dissipates the hay smell goes away. Too fast a dry and cure and it will hang around.
So checking in. I pulled my jars out of the fridge. Interest that RH is correlated to temperature. They now sit at 72 degrees and 55-56% humidity - just about perfect. The smell is amazing, almost overwhelming trichome's and grogeous dense red buds.

Thanks too for the message about Boveda's holding and not increasing RH. I did not know that and it makes perfect sense now seeing my buds in the jar.

My next harvest was 2 plants - yesterday. I take with a part of the root ball and hang for 4-7 days. I was able to raise the humidity to about 44% best case and down to 35% at night when I am not babysitting moisture.

So far I've had a few experienced "testers". One offered me all the bud he had at a 2:1 trade - he said my grow got him higher, longer and better tasting than anything he has had. My fatherhood pride at these beautiful girls is intact - thanks for all your help.

This will be my final post on this grow. I ended up harvesting 3 plants that I also used to start my perpetual grow for Sativa dominant hybrids. I was able to get about 700 g's total for all 3 plants - about 500g's of high quality buds and the rest sugar leaf shake that I make butter with.

This is now my new favorite hobby. I have set myself up with a perpetual grow for Sativa's - Jack Herer and Durban Poison. My 3 Mother's have so far given me 30+ clones that will keep this grow alive for some time to come. I've now started some Indica's and Indica dominant's which are now at seedling stages. I hope to find my perfect mix of growing genetics - so far I am so fucking happy it makes my head spin!

Pic's coming soon!

November 17.
Today I harvested 8 clones from four health plants, all Sativa dominant hybrids. I have placed them into my clone tent on top of the 5 gal repotted clones. I did this now because I hope to harvest my flowering girls in a few weeks and wanted my veg girls to have some recovery time before putting them into the flower room.

My cloning process is:
  1. prepare everything beforehand and check Ph. For some reason my water here is more basic and I routinely have to use Ph down. I am finding that apple cider vinegar works well.
  2. I choose the healthiest plants with good growth and generally take a few of the top growth with thicker stems. I have found this gives the clones more support and they grow faster as soon as they begin to take root.
  3. I take a cutting that is as long as I can get - at least 6-8 inches. I then cut it at a 45 degree angle scrap the stem a bit and dip in a cloning gel - I use Clonex. I find that the bigger the stem the faster they root and begin to grow - at least so far.
  4. I then put each one into a 6" pot with 1/2 soil and 1/2 perlite. I also use rockwool cubes to hold them in place. Check the Ph again even after watering to get it down.
  5. Each clone is then placed on tope of their sisters that I took over a month ago. They've been repotted when rootbound into 5 gal pots but they are still small enough to host a little 6" pot. This keeps the humidity higher since they are sitting in soil that is moist every other or every third day. Humidity is easy to keep at >60% even in my dry climate.
After Dec. 3rd, and depending on harvest date I will move the girls I cloned today from their veg tent into the flower room. That way they'll have a few more weeks to recover from the aggressive topping to get the clones. I figure this way they get 3-5 weeks of regrowth as they begin the flowering process.

At that point I'll move my next set of 10 clones into the veg tent where they will live for 8-9 weeks as their sisters flower out. My clones will stay in 6" pots until I can see strong root development. I put them right into 5 gal pots and they start growing fast within a week or so. In the past I moved them too soon and could see a definite difference in how fast root growth will propel a plant once it gets into the right sized pot.
Good read so far...:)

Wow, I had not considered harvesting a partial plant. Given the low growth I have is pretty robust that might make sense for me. I am also learning patience, fortunately I had stored some nice buds so I am not in need or these girls would be toasted and roasted already!

I have read that flushing doesn't do anything and will not work. Given the body of work I have read I am coming down on the side of switching to water alone the last 7-10 days. The scientific evidence that you can't flush the nutrients is pretty compelling. I do plan now to cut the stalk to get them to plump a but at the last 56 hours. I'm also going to do a 24-36 hour dark period just at harvest.

One consideration is I am seeing faster growth and development as the days come and go. It started very slow, I still have one three weeks behind and it looks like an infant next to her sister. What I saw was at about week 5 they started to really flourish and the colas filled out in about a week. Now I just want to make them more hefty and plump!

Sorry for the burple - from today, just now
IMG_2567.JPG
Going to be a beautiful harvest!

For everyone who has helped me this year; :thumb: . I started growing as a Covid Quarantine hobby and have been amazed at how fun and fulfilling this hobby has been for me. It, and all of you, saved me from the crippling depression of being stuck at home and working from home.

What I did not expect is how fucking complicated it is to grow this weed well. Every step from germinating seeds, to lights to nutrients, to cloning, keeping Mother's even Bonsai of my Mother plants - it has been a real joy to have so many of you share your knowledge and passion for this beautiful hobby we all share.

I completed the harvest of my first crop of three plants in 2020. They are one of the few bright lights in an otherwise dark year. I was successful because of your help. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart (and my bong)!
:Namaste:
Congrats! I'm in that same climate....had to get a humidifier!

Going to be a beautiful harvest Oh my first harvest was truly epic. After almost 6 months I was able to pull three plants from my

Going to be a beautiful harvest!
It was / is. I pulled three plants for my first harvest and got 14 pounces, 12 of high quality bud and 2 of sugar leaves I used to make butter. It is the most amazing, best smelling and smoking cannabis I have ever encountered. Now I have 14 plants in flower - scheduled to come out every few weeks over the next few months!

Too much Sativa!

Back
Top Bottom