New Grower: First Journal For Sativa Dominant Jack Herer Hybrid

I'm doing that RIGHT now, thanks. The key to light longevity, damn, am in, I can't afford to replace any of these expensive lights!
You bet buddy! Hurricane is a great fan with warranty’s(I believe 3 year)! Only fan I will buy for the gardens not to dog on any other fan company’s, but I’ve used many and so far hurricanes have out lasted any of my fans currently. In fact I’ve bought numerous different brands now and hurricane has definitely been throwing the other fans I have to extinction lmao!! Hurricane are the only fans standing now haha!!

I am trying to set up for repeated grows with a harvest every other month or so. I started a few months ago before I was fortunate enough to find these forums - you guys are amazing! So much of what I learned has come from the growers on here who have reached out or replied to my posts with helpful suggestions, grow tips and encouragement - I cannot thank you all enough - I feel like I have found my tribe! Since the grow journals were so useful to me I thought I'd attempt to pay it forward by writing one of my own - from one new grower to anyone who cares.

Since I have already started my growing plans I'll lay out the current state of my crops and where I hope to go with them. I'd LOVE to hear from anyone with ideas or to point out what I can do better!

My current crops and grow status is:
  1. 2 Sativia dominant Jack Herrar bought from seed bank in Amsterdam. - both plants in flower starting Oct. 8, 2020. Harvest target date Dec 3-10. (Photos #1 & #2). I initially had a LOT of trouble getting seeds to work. My first attempt failed completely and the second yielded only 3 of 6 seeds sprouted. I sprouted them in soil, outside which may have been a contributor.
  2. 1 Sativa dominant Agan Kush bought from Seed Bank Amsterdam. Put into flower October 15, 2020. Harvest target date Dec 10-17. (Photo #3)
  3. 6 clones in veg. (Photo #4), cloned Oct. 15, 2020, amazing early stage growth as soon as I repotted at week #2.
  4. 9 clones in hold. (Photo #5). I clone plants about every other month from mothers headed into the flower tent. I take the clones and do a last trim 7-12 days before I put them into the flower room.
My physical setup is:
  1. Grow media, any good soil mixed with 25% vermiculite. 6" pots with soil mix and rockwool grow cubes to help stabilize my clones until they root.
  2. 2 each - 24x48x60 Vivosun Indoor grow tents.
    • One for clones - with a 1000W Mars Hydro as a light source (Photo #6), and a heat mat that fits the entire bottom of the tent to spur root growth. Vivosun 8" fans in each tent to keep them temps down. Even though LED Lights run cooler my Mars Hydro in particular can raise the temp when lit to 80 degrees so I have to watch temps throughout the hot days.
    • One for veg growth - with a bloomspect 1500 w (Photo #7) - Vivosun 8" fan.
  3. 1 grow room approximately 12x5X10 with mylar wall coverings, a trailer park humidity control (Photo #8) that amazingly keeps at at about 60% relative humidity! The grow room has 2 CannLights 1000W and one Vander 2000W - for three plants I know it is overkill but my harvest will approximately double each time until I cal truly fill the room. I also have several fans that feed this room fresh air, and help control humidity because the trailer humidifier I have works amazingly well.
  4. For humidity control I use a small humidifier in the clone tent and the trailer setup in the grow room. I find the veg tent stays at about 40% relative humidity just from having a lot of plants in the small area.
My nutrient mix is:
  1. For clones I pot in 4 or 6 inch pots so they can grow for 3-4 weeks and establish good root growth. I use Clonex along with Rockwool Grow Cubes and take clones from plants in Veg that are headed to flower in 10 days to two weeks. That way I can keep a harvest rotating every other month or so. I use only straight water with about a half does of General Organics BioRoot Booster for the first two weeks or until the clones recover and show some growth. At growth (once they are established) I begin to use minimal amounts of Fox Farm nutrients (I bought the varietal 3 pack from amazon).
  2. For Veg I repot the clones in minimum 5 gal cloth bags (eight fits perfectly into my 24x48 grow tents). My next crop I think I'll go to 10 Gal bags though the 5Gal seem adequate. I use the Fox Farms Grow Big and Big Bloom even during Veg and get a nice green canopy. I use nutrients every other water and ALWAYS check moisture to make sure I am not over watering because everything I read says that is the biggest mistake first time growers make.
  3. At Flower I change to Fox Farms Big Bloom and every third watering I add Hawaiian Bud Flower Formula that is super high in Phosphate 5-50-17. The plants on photos #1-#3 show the early results, this is at 4 weeks into flower for the two larger plants (the Jack's) and three weeks for my smaller plant (the Afghan Kush).
My routine is:
  1. Daily: Check moisture levels and water as appropriate, refill humidity devices, check and log temperature and humidity in each grow area (twice daily), set heater in the grow room to 80 degrees (It is timed to go off at night lowering the grow room temp to ~70 degrees), and look for bugs, yellowing or other items that might require crisis intervention.
  2. Weekly: clean and mop floors in all grow areas, check for pests, leakages and fan controls.
  3. Every 3-4 weeks, take everything out of the tent or room and clean, clean, clean.
  4. Every 6-8 weeks, clone new crop from veg girls ready to go into flower in 10-14 days.
  5. Crop rotation. Every time I harvest flowers I move my veg girls into flower and my repotted clones (now 4-6 weeks into their new 5-10 gal fabric pots) into the veg room. I started with three plants grown from seed and now have 6 clones in veg and 9 clones in 6" plastic pots ready to repot in about 2 weeks.

Sativa jack #2 @ 4 weeks.jpeg
Sativa Jack #1 at 4 weeks.jpeg
Awesome looking plants. They really look great! Lot’s of frost, and beautiful hairs! I’m In!

nice flower tent Dray

nice flower tent Dray
Thank you. I have two tents, one for clones and one for veg. My flowering is actually in a small storage room - about 4x7 but it has higher ceilings for my Sativa's. I have most of the walls covered in reflective Mylar so it looks a little like a tent. I have three plants in there now coming out sometime around mid December. Right behind that I have 6 more clones in veg now - looks like a jungle in that tent!

nice, happy growing!

Nov 21. Man I got some ideas in treading all you grow Master's! I am trying to create a perpetual grow with a harvest every other month or so. I have three plants in flower now and, while they were put into flower at the same time they are all quite different. Two are Jack Herrer and are closest to harvest (Dec 3-15 sometime) and one is a Durban Poison which is a few weeks behind that.

Yesterday I read another grow journal from a grower @BeanTownFan420 who was putting his clones into flower at about week 6. They looked vibrant and healthy so I asked why not leave them in veg longer to get them bigger. He said if he is paying for the light he wants them into flower as fast as possible.

I am interested to see how the harvest works so I planned and am executing an experiment. I was feeling behind because my first set of clones were taken about 8 weeks ago and my veg tent was packed full (I have it on 20/4). Today I took his advice and put 4 of my beauties into the flower room. It will be crowded for the next few weeks while my older girls finish out but, if it works, I should have another harvest of 4 more plants about 6-8 weeks after this one and then every 4 weeks afterward.

Thanks @BeanTownFan420 for the advice!

Photos are from the change out today.

IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2598.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Nov 21. Man I got some ideas in treading all you grow Master's! I am trying to create a perpetual grow with a harvest every other month or so. I have three plants in flower now and, while they were put into flower at the same time they are all quite different. Two are Jack Herrer and are closest to harvest (Dec 3-15 sometime) and one is a Durban Poison which is a few weeks behind that.

Yesterday I read another grow journal from a grower @BeanTownFan420 who was putting his clones into flower at about week 6. They looked vibrant and healthy so I asked why not leave them in veg longer to get them bigger. He said if he is paying for the light he wants them into flower as fast as possible.

I am interested to see how the harvest works so I planned and am executing an experiment. I was feeling behind because my first set of clones were taken about 8 weeks ago and my veg tent was packed full (I have it on 20/4). Today I took his advice and put 4 of my beauties into the flower room. It will be crowded for the next few weeks while my older girls finish out but, if it works, I should have another harvest of 4 more plants about 6-8 weeks after this one and then every 4 weeks afterward.

Thanks @BeanTownFan420 for the advice!

Photos are from the change out today.

IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2598.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG
very nice pink plant :laughtwo:

Okay, now I really need some help. My girls are at day 49 of what I hoped would be a 56 day (8 week) flower period. However, they keep getting bigger! I don't mean by a little, look a week ago compared to today.

I have been watching the trichomes and one plant has started to go milky. I am attaching some natural light photos of a cola I took today. I am planning to dry it in the dridge and use it to be more patient (you understand I am dying to taste it!), and to get some opinions about how much longer should I go? I REALLY would love to heart your ideas!

IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG
IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

Okay, now I really need some help. My girls are at day 49 of what I hoped would be a 56 day (8 week) flower period. However, they keep getting bigger! I don't mean by a little, look a week ago compared to today.

I have been watching the trichomes and one plant has started to go milky. I am attaching some natural light photos of a cola I took today. I am planning to dry it in the dridge and use it to be more patient (you understand I am dying to taste it!), and to get some opinions about how much longer should I go? I REALLY would love to heart your ideas!

IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG
IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG
Hey Drey, great looking flowers bro. Definitely, alot better then my first couple of grows for sure.
Sativas are my favorite but definitely need extra flower time, not so much in Veg but its a wash on total time of the plant roughly.
Just make sure to go the distance in flower because theyre well worth it.
Great breeder Soma always say whenever you think the flowers are done go a couple more weeks.
You have spent 3 or 4 months with the plant, whats a couple more weeks for fully mature potent flowers.
This will ensure maximum yield and potency imo..cheers bro..great looking plants

Hey Drey, great looking flowers bro. Definitely, alot better then my first couple of grows for sure.
Sativas are my favorite but definitely need extra flower time, not so much in Veg but its a wash on total time of the plant roughly.
Just make sure to go the distance in flower because theyre well worth it.
Great breeder Soma always say whenever you think the flowers are done go a couple more weeks.
You have spent 3 or 4 months with the plant, whats a couple more weeks for fully mature potent flowers.
This will ensure maximum yield and potency imo..cheers bro..great looking plants
Thanks Brother! The first grow is I suspect the most difficult to be patient throughout. Two things push the envelope - how much bud do you have in reserve and not REALLY knowing. The community here helps a lot with the second, but the first problem has me taking samples - like today. I wait 7 full days of dry time to even try them so I am learning some patience.

Once this first harvest is done I suspect the second problem will go away because it appears I will have a lot of bud to harvest - maybe 300g's per plant x3 plants!

OKay friends, Day 51 and the advice I have gotten makes so much sense I'm going to use my first girl to develop some experience. I figure (with help) that I am maybe 10-12 days away from harvest. To get ready and understand the reality of my first harvest timing, the process of curing etc. I too a sample a week ago, dried it for a week - so at day 49 it is a heady high, no body buzz to speak of but definitely stoney. Clearly I need to allow some more THC production and coonversion to cbn as they mature. I am also seeing buds get dramatically bigger day to day. No yellow leaves yet.

Last Thursday (thanksgiving) I took a larger sample. the nugs are very tight and hard and it smells amazing! Here's the fresh sample at clipping:
IMG_2624.JPG

Now I plan to dry this for a week then cure until my harvest target. Before I harvest I will look at the terpenes with ajewelers loop to see if I can spot clear vs cloudy. I was also advised to wait until most of the pistils have gone red (close!). Once this is dry I will cure for a few days and test my first real crop again.

Next post will probably be at harvest. I plan to use this to test a few harvesting tips I recieved - to put the plant into 8 hours of sun (down from 12), 56 hours before harvest. I was also told to cut the stems but since I plan to harvest in two tranches to allow the lower colas to fill out I am NOT planning to do this. Apparently the idea is to give the plant the message it is being eaten so it puts all energy into flowoering. I'm hoping that taking 50% or more of the current bud growth send that message to the rest of the planst!

As always your comments are most welcomed!

OKay friends, Day 51 and the advice I have gotten makes so much sense I'm going to use my first girl to develop some experience. I figure (with help) that I am maybe 10-12 days away from harvest. To get ready and understand the reality of my first harvest timing, the process of curing etc. I too a sample a week ago, dried it for a week - so at day 49 it is a heady high, no body buzz to speak of but definitely stoney. Clearly I need to allow some more THC production and coonversion to cbn as they mature. I am also seeing buds get dramatically bigger day to day. No yellow leaves yet.

Last Thursday (thanksgiving) I took a larger sample. the nugs are very tight and hard and it smells amazing! Here's the fresh sample at clipping:
IMG_2624.JPG

Now I plan to dry this for a week then cure until my harvest target. Before I harvest I will look at the terpenes with ajewelers loop to see if I can spot clear vs cloudy. I was also advised to wait until most of the pistils have gone red (close!). Once this is dry I will cure for a few days and test my first real crop again.

Next post will probably be at harvest. I plan to use this to test a few harvesting tips I recieved - to put the plant into 8 hours of sun (down from 12), 56 hours before harvest. I was also told to cut the stems but since I plan to harvest in two tranches to allow the lower colas to fill out I am NOT planning to do this. Apparently the idea is to give the plant the message it is being eaten so it puts all energy into flowoering. I'm hoping that taking 50% or more of the current bud growth send that message to the rest of the planst!

As always your comments are most welcomed!
Looks awesome @DRey , how did it smoke?! Hope ypu had a good thanksgiving man especially with the new flower!

Looks awesome @DRey , how did it smoke?! Hope ypu had a good thanksgiving man especially with the new flower!
Thank you @johnnystackz my Brother. It does look like I have a nice grow going on. I've used it to check in on potency and the buds are very stoney, high THC for sure. I smoked the small nugs that I harvested a few weeks ago and have some buds in the jar for anotherin the fridge for another week before I try again. The one big issue I have now is being patient. My first real harvest and it looks better day to day! Many have told me to wait - so I am.

The lower buds are not nearly as mature - on top looks and smells ripe with 70%-80% of the pistils turned red. The trichomes are at about 50% milky though with my level of experience I would love to have you come over and give me a second opinion. I'm thinking Sunday (12/6) I'll harvest about half or more of the ripe buds, leaving the lower beauties to mature for at least a few more weeks. I'll probably try and leave one of the bigger colas to see for myself when growth stops and if it continues to get bigger because I have two more awesome ladies right behind this one - by a few weeks or a month.

I've used this first lady to test a bunch of stuff (probably too much!). I harvested one small nug at 7 weeks, and again at 8 weeks and will cut half out Sunday at about 9 weeks, leaving the rest for at least two or three more weeks to mature.

The strangest learning in this whole thing (and there has been a LOT!), is the harvest. When I harvest it smell amazing and is very sticky icky. As it dries though it smells more like cut grass and I haven't taken or made the time to patiently wait for drying and then a few weeks of curing - yet. I have learned that I can be patient when the downside is so big - to lose the crop to mold or have it taste bad.

One question, when does the smell start to take on more or the MJ Sativa plant and trichome smells and tastes we all love? It is NOT apparent in my drying and barely there even after a day in the jar? What do you think?

Looking like a Christmas harvest for me - some smokable fun should come from this next harvest as it should be cured and ready by 12/25! The rest can wait for Q1 and a better year for all of us in 2021! I truly wish I could have all of you over for a Christmas smoke out!

I'll post some pics Sunday after we cut down my first Mother - fingers crossed!

Hey DRey,

At least youre aware of patience of this plant. Lol.

Personally, I wouldn't harvest the main tops so the bottoms could ripen more. Thats the bulk of your yield and 9 weeks for Jack should be right on brother.
Try to run 60-63 days and after that couple days of darkness with no lights. Mature flowers are worth it.
Cut at base main stem, remove all big fan leaves and hang upside down in the dark. I try to keep my RH 55 and temp around 70 f.
Cheers bro

I am trying to set up for repeated grows with a harvest every other month or so. I started a few months ago before I was fortunate enough to find these forums - you guys are amazing! So much of what I learned has come from the growers on here who have reached out or replied to my posts with helpful suggestions, grow tips and encouragement - I cannot thank you all enough - I feel like I have found my tribe! Since the grow journals were so useful to me I thought I'd attempt to pay it forward by writing one of my own - from one new grower to anyone who cares.

Since I have already started my growing plans I'll lay out the current state of my crops and where I hope to go with them. I'd LOVE to hear from anyone with ideas or to point out what I can do better!

My current crops and grow status is:
  1. 2 Sativia dominant Jack Herrar bought from seed bank in Amsterdam. - both plants in flower starting Oct. 8, 2020. Harvest target date Dec 3-10. (Photos #1 & #2). I initially had a LOT of trouble getting seeds to work. My first attempt failed completely and the second yielded only 3 of 6 seeds sprouted. I sprouted them in soil, outside which may have been a contributor.
  2. 1 Sativa dominant Agan Kush bought from Seed Bank Amsterdam. Put into flower October 15, 2020. Harvest target date Dec 10-17. (Photo #3)
  3. 6 clones in veg. (Photo #4), cloned Oct. 15, 2020, amazing early stage growth as soon as I repotted at week #2.
  4. 9 clones in hold. (Photo #5). I clone plants about every other month from mothers headed into the flower tent. I take the clones and do a last trim 7-12 days before I put them into the flower room.
My physical setup is:
  1. Grow media, any good soil mixed with 25% vermiculite. 6" pots with soil mix and rockwool grow cubes to help stabilize my clones until they root.
  2. 2 each - 24x48x60 Vivosun Indoor grow tents.
    • One for clones - with a 1000W Mars Hydro as a light source (Photo #6), and a heat mat that fits the entire bottom of the tent to spur root growth. Vivosun 8" fans in each tent to keep them temps down. Even though LED Lights run cooler my Mars Hydro in particular can raise the temp when lit to 80 degrees so I have to watch temps throughout the hot days.
    • One for veg growth - with a bloomspect 1500 w (Photo #7) - Vivosun 8" fan.
  3. 1 grow room approximately 12x5X10 with mylar wall coverings, a trailer park humidity control (Photo #8) that amazingly keeps at at about 60% relative humidity! The grow room has 2 CannLights 1000W and one Vander 2000W - for three plants I know it is overkill but my harvest will approximately double each time until I cal truly fill the room. I also have several fans that feed this room fresh air, and help control humidity because the trailer humidifier I have works amazingly well.
  4. For humidity control I use a small humidifier in the clone tent and the trailer setup in the grow room. I find the veg tent stays at about 40% relative humidity just from having a lot of plants in the small area.
My nutrient mix is:
  1. For clones I pot in 4 or 6 inch pots so they can grow for 3-4 weeks and establish good root growth. I use Clonex along with Rockwool Grow Cubes and take clones from plants in Veg that are headed to flower in 10 days to two weeks. That way I can keep a harvest rotating every other month or so. I use only straight water with about a half does of General Organics BioRoot Booster for the first two weeks or until the clones recover and show some growth. At growth (once they are established) I begin to use minimal amounts of Fox Farm nutrients (I bought the varietal 3 pack from amazon).
  2. For Veg I repot the clones in minimum 5 gal cloth bags (eight fits perfectly into my 24x48 grow tents). My next crop I think I'll go to 10 Gal bags though the 5Gal seem adequate. I use the Fox Farms Grow Big and Big Bloom even during Veg and get a nice green canopy. I use nutrients every other water and ALWAYS check moisture to make sure I am not over watering because everything I read says that is the biggest mistake first time growers make.
  3. At Flower I change to Fox Farms Big Bloom and every third watering I add Hawaiian Bud Flower Formula that is super high in Phosphate 5-50-17. The plants on photos #1-#3 show the early results, this is at 4 weeks into flower for the two larger plants (the Jack's) and three weeks for my smaller plant (the Afghan Kush).
My routine is:
  1. Daily: Check moisture levels and water as appropriate, refill humidity devices, check and log temperature and humidity in each grow area (twice daily), set heater in the grow room to 80 degrees (It is timed to go off at night lowering the grow room temp to ~70 degrees), and look for bugs, yellowing or other items that might require crisis intervention.
  2. Weekly: clean and mop floors in all grow areas, check for pests, leakages and fan controls.
  3. Every 3-4 weeks, take everything out of the tent or room and clean, clean, clean.
  4. Every 6-8 weeks, clone new crop from veg girls ready to go into flower in 10-14 days.
  5. Crop rotation. Every time I harvest flowers I move my veg girls into flower and my repotted clones (now 4-6 weeks into their new 5-10 gal fabric pots) into the veg room. I started with three plants grown from seed and now have 6 clones in veg and 9 clones in 6" plastic pots ready to repot in about 2 weeks.

Sativa jack #2 @ 4 weeks.jpeg
Sativa Jack #1 at 4 weeks.jpeg
Twenty-five percent vermiculite, really?

I use vermiculite too just not at those levels. Say tent to fifteen percent in veg. soil and say five percent in flowering soil.

kinda hope he waited a few days. he might've been right on top of the final bud swell at those last pics. usually a chop window is around 2 wks after.

Back
Top Bottom