New Grower: First Journal For Sativa Dominant Jack Herer Hybrid

Hey Drey, is she still in the dirt? Should be about 59 days or so?
I know you're excited so she is probably drying now:laugh: either way, cheers bro. Try to throw us some pics if you can
I decided to wait 10 more days to day 66-70. I am going crazy because they look sooooo good but probably 30-40% of the buds still have white pistils and the trichomes are just starting to get coudy. I guess I'll have a Christmas harvest! I will for sure post pics of the harvest and drying setup.

IMG_2631.JPG
IMG_2632.JPG

i think your last pics were at bud swell, and you are entering the window either now or soon.

nice going for a first grow.

get a jewellers loupe to check trichomes. need between 30x - 60x. its a good tool for other purposes as well. i use a 30x and find it is just adequate. would probably suggest trying a 40x.

I am now at Day 60 and dang these Sativa's can flower for a long time. I still have +30% white pistils, new growth on the buds - still swelling! The cutting I tooks Thinksgiving was very very good after a week of dry time and a few days in the jar. I am astill waiting for the dank smells!

I started preparing to harvest my first plant sometime late this week after adding at least a week to my targeted 56 day - 8 week flowering period. I will allow my next girls to go to 70+ days based on this experience - BE PATIENT! To prepare I flushed my plant not to get rid of any contaominats but to get rid of the sales that can prevent them from taking the nutes right up to the day of harvest. I flushed at least 3x the container colume of clear fresh water until it ran clear. I also changed my lights from 12/12 to 8/16 for the next efw days. Sometime between Thursday and Sunday this week I will harvest my first plant!

Now to learn that cure stuff. I have about a week of dry time to read and absorb! Opinions? Chime in please!

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

Wow, I had not considered harvesting a partial plant. Given the low growth I have is pretty robust that might make sense for me. I am also learning patience, fortunately I had stored some nice buds so I am not in need or these girls would be toasted and roasted already!

I have read that flushing doesn't do anything and will not work. Given the body of work I have read I am coming down on the side of switching to water alone the last 7-10 days. The scientific evidence that you can't flush the nutrients is pretty compelling. I do plan now to cut the stalk to get them to plump a but at the last 56 hours. I'm also going to do a 24-36 hour dark period just at harvest.

One consideration is I am seeing faster growth and development as the days come and go. It started very slow, I still have one three weeks behind and it looks like an infant next to her sister. What I saw was at about week 5 they started to really flourish and the colas filled out in about a week. Now I just want to make them more hefty and plump!

Sorry for the burple - from today, just now
IMG_2567.JPG
I just watched a very scientific youtube about flushing today. If you want to check it out.

when was that video published?
I’ve been sort of waiting to come across a video or some sort of scientific study done on this matter...

I’m sort of, idk... perplexed... the tests ended exactly how they would of... but I’m almost disappointed because there was nothing that really blew my mind and left me like, :thedoubletake:

but yeah, anyways... thanks for sharing that!!

when was that video published?
I’ve been sort of waiting to come across a video or some sort of scientific study done on this matter...

I’m sort of, idk... perplexed... the tests ended exactly how they would of... but I’m almost disappointed because there was nothing that really blew my mind and left me like, :thedoubletake:

but yeah, anyways... thanks for sharing that!!
It was published 5 months ago. I was feeling like the study left me feeling like plants are better off not being flushed, but it really didn't matter much either way, flushed or unfleshed . The study leaned in the direction that unflushed is better because if plant wants more nutrients to Finnish it had them.

:passitleft:

Mr. Grow breaks down Study
Yes! you have found one of the Masters I follow as well. I read a ton about flushing as I am just beginning to prepare for my first harvest of one plant Saturday! In the end I did flush based on advice from @Emilya who wrote a great piece on it. Basically she says the flush does NOTING for the plant - no flushing of contaminants. But she does recommend a flush 2-3 weeks out (I did it at 2 weeks out), to get rid of the salts that can prohibit Nute uptake in the last few weeks of flower.

Yes! you have found one of the Masters I follow as well. I read a ton about flushing as I am just beginning to prepare for my first harvest of one plant Saturday! In the end I did flush based on advice from @Emilya who wrote a great piece on it. Basically she says the flush does NOTING for the plant - no flushing of contaminants. But she does recommend a flush 2-3 weeks out (I did it at 2 weeks out), to get rid of the salts that can prohibit Nute uptake in the last few weeks of flower.
Just so you know too, she did also say to continue with Nutes right up until harvest. Feed even after flushing.

I'm in organic grow so I have no build up of salts unless someone corrects this novice. Your logic sounds sound for flushing.

Well we have arrived at Harvest preparation with a target take day of Saturday Dec 12. Today I watered the plant I will harvest deep and cut the step halfway through. I had reduced my lights from 12/12 to 8/16 a few days ago and they'll stay here until I take the plant out Thursday evening and wrap it in a dark burlap for 36 hours.

My harvest plan is to take the entire plant including the roots, rinse the roots and hang to dry for 5-7 days. I have a drying area set up with fans and humidity about 55% - the best I can get in this dry climate here.

More on harvest and cure as I get to the actual event - and pics coming too!

Well we have arrived at Harvest preparation with a target take day of Saturday Dec 12. Today I watered the plant I will harvest deep and cut the step halfway through. I had reduced my lights from 12/12 to 8/16 a few days ago and they'll stay here until I take the plant out Thursday evening and wrap it in a dark burlap for 36 hours.

My harvest plan is to take the entire plant including the roots, rinse the roots and hang to dry for 5-7 days. I have a drying area set up with fans and humidity about 55% - the best I can get in this dry climate here.

More on harvest and cure as I get to the actual event - and pics coming too!
55% sounds good. Can’t wait to find out how it turns out.

Hey Drey, is she still in the dirt? Should be about 59 days or so?
I know you're excited so she is probably drying now:laugh: either way, cheers bro. Try to throw us some pics if you can
Brother I am taking her down Saturday after 66 days under lights. I may still be a little early but I want to be cured by the end of the year. I'll post pics for ya Saturday when it all comes down!

BTW, I have two more right behind these and 6 more about two months out - just showing flowers now. I was also able to get some new strains I am dying to try from True North - I have a second from seed grow journal. I dropped 6 on the 7th and in 24 hours 4 of 5 had already cracked. They're in paper now - all Indica dominant strains (all my first ladies are Sativa's). I have 8-Ball Kush, White Widow, Aurora Indica and Gelato, all from good seed banks and all seem to have great genetics.

Every time I grow new seeds (assuming I'm successful), I clone relentlessly. From my first three planst now coming to harvest I have 26 cloned and in the pipeline. This new grous of seedlings will feed my pipeline for years to come!

Brother I am taking her down Saturday after 66 days under lights. I may still be a little early but I want to be cured by the end of the year. I'll post pics for ya Saturday when it all comes down!

BTW, I have two more right behind these and 6 more about two months out - just showing flowers now. I was also able to get some new strains I am dying to try from True North - I have a second from seed grow journal. I dropped 6 on the 7th and in 24 hours 4 of 5 had already cracked. They're in paper now - all Indica dominant strains (all my first ladies are Sativa's). I have 8-Ball Kush, White Widow, Aurora Indica and Gelato, all from good seed banks and all seem to have great genetics.

Every time I grow new seeds (assuming I'm successful), I clone relentlessly. From my first three planst now coming to harvest I have 26 cloned and in the pipeline. This new grous of seedlings will feed my pipeline for years to come!
66 sounds great brother. Going to be incredible smoke. Congrats going the distance, its the hardest part of growing but mature flowers are incredible. Great job

OKay friends, Day 51 and the advice I have gotten makes so much sense I'm going to use my first girl to develop some experience. I figure (with help) that I am maybe 10-12 days away from harvest. To get ready and understand the reality of my first harvest timing, the process of curing etc. I too a sample a week ago, dried it for a week - so at day 49 it is a heady high, no body buzz to speak of but definitely stoney. Clearly I need to allow some more THC production and coonversion to cbn as they mature. I am also seeing buds get dramatically bigger day to day. No yellow leaves yet.

Last Thursday (thanksgiving) I took a larger sample. the nugs are very tight and hard and it smells amazing! Here's the fresh sample at clipping:
IMG_2624.JPG

Now I plan to dry this for a week then cure until my harvest target. Before I harvest I will look at the terpenes with ajewelers loop to see if I can spot clear vs cloudy. I was also advised to wait until most of the pistils have gone red (close!). Once this is dry I will cure for a few days and test my first real crop again.

Next post will probably be at harvest. I plan to use this to test a few harvesting tips I recieved - to put the plant into 8 hours of sun (down from 12), 56 hours before harvest. I was also told to cut the stems but since I plan to harvest in two tranches to allow the lower colas to fill out I am NOT planning to do this. Apparently the idea is to give the plant the message it is being eaten so it puts all energy into flowoering. I'm hoping that taking 50% or more of the current bud growth send that message to the rest of the planst!

As always your comments are most welcomed!
I put this flower out to dry on Danksgiving and in the cure jar December 3rd. Last night I opened my first hit of this harvest and OMG OMG OMG!!!! The smell has developed from fresh cut grass to almost candy-like to the most amazing nose I've ever smelled for any weed. I know this will only get better from here and I can't wait to test the rest when I harvet the whole plant this Saturday. It's been prepared for harvest and is just waiting for the day - Christmas buds!

Back
Top Bottom