Newbie Grower, Carmen Auto x Diva, Outdoors

It's important to note that I have zero professional qualifications that apply here and my experience is limited and untraditional.
I get it. I have no professional qualifications either--but that is mostly because the system has different goals than I do.
I was enrolled for a Ph.D. in Transpersonal Psychology, and unenrolled because the institute I was looking at put blinders on their inputs. (Excluding certain populations from testing based on bias is NOT valid scientific technique!)
My Korean Zen master offered me ordination ("enlightenment"), and the Number #2 spot in his monastery, but I turned it down, because I could feel something was missing.
I have been in search of truth since I was 11, and while I have passed up mega-mega-megabucks, I don't care. I am much happier now, as I am, seeking truth. (MUCH happier!)
Soil is so very complex and different around the world that calling it all soil is actually a bit misleading, it hides the radical differences in the medium country to country.
Oh, you are talking about soil! I thought you were talking about life (Hahahaha....)
So, it just looks like high CBD, auto bullshit that triggers weird phenotypes.
Yeah, some of them do seem to grow funky. But at this point I am actually starting to be thankful for their short life span, because I am getting a lot more experience with soil than I otherwise would in the same amount of time.
The two both presenting this way is notable, but I don't feel enough to alter Otter's diagnosis. (See what I did there? Sticking Otter with the rap.)
LOL!!!! (TOO funny!!)
My thoughts are really based just upon reason, as I don't feel qualified to comment in detail.
Yeah, well, some of what you say goes way over my head (and no time to catch up right now), but the stuff you say that registers seems to make good sense.
And I appreciated your 60-40 experience a lot. I am kind of banking on it with the new supersoil re-cook (50% rice hulls).
Good luck with your struggles mate. Sometimes we roll Snake eyes and just have to get through it. I hope that's not the case for you.
Thanks, RD. I used to get all down and depressed when things do not go my way. Now I treat life as if I am "a pixel on Someone's computer screen", and I realize I don't have any control. So I try not to get upset when things don't go my way. I just try to square the shoulders, let it roll off the back, and move on. I love Colombia for the weather and the botanical freedom, but freedom can be carved out of other scenerios, if need be. Got to run. Thanks for the good wishes. LIkewise.

Hi, so the leaf pattern. Sometimes the plants can shift a little between seeds showing more of one side parental lineage than the other. Maybe this is happening. I've grown a few grows that seeds from the same packet don't resemble each other much at all. Or even temperature differences can do it too.
Thanks again, Stone! That helped a lot. Got to run for now. Tomorrow afternoon we find out if we can stay.

Sure, either a KNF sugar extract or a Jadam water one using the new bamboo shoots emerging from the soil.

For KNF, mix equal parts by weight of plant material and brown sugar. Put in a glass container with a breathable lid and fill no more than 2/3'ds full. After a week or two, filter out the liquid and use it diluted 1:1,000 to water your plants.

For Jadam, put your plant material in a container, no more than 2/3rds full, cover with water and add some microbes from leaf mold or worm castings and cover with a non-breathable lid (it will smell pretty bad). It is usable after 10 days or so, but gets better with age. Use it diluted 1:25 or so with non-chlorinated water to water your plants.
Azi, I just started a jar of the Jadam fish water.
May I please ask a question from ignorance?
I added a tsp of powdered wc.
Would liquid mycos or Re-charge help?
Or is straight wc best?
Thanks.

Don't know anything about either. Sorry.
Well, I appreciate it that you don't make stuff up!
That alone is very helpful!

It looks like we can stay if we invest now. The timing is perfect, so it will be busy with moving, but other than that, it looks like the blessing we were hoping for!
Gracias a todos.

Ahh, on another theme, it is a little colder there than here.
What is the lowest temperature one wants to expose thier plants tl at night?
Muchas gracias.

Ahh, on another theme, it is a little colder there than here.
What is the lowest temperature one wants to expose thier plants tl at night?
Muchas gracias.
Good morning el gringuito, indoors they slow growth and really slow magnesium uptake at 64F. Touching that for short periods may not be a problem with warmer day temps.
I hope it went well for you staying?

Good morning el gringuito, indoors they slow growth and really slow magnesium uptake at 64F. Touching that for short periods may not be a problem with warmer day temps.
I hope it went well for you staying?
Hahaha! Thanks, Stone! Haha, what a day!
Ok, as of this morning, we have a valid visa, and we can stay!!

Long story, I normally prefer Indicas (calms ADHD-like symptoms).
I used a new concentrate yesterday that was someone's homegrown sativa blend of Punto Rojo, Mango Biche, and Corinto.
I like sativas like it feels good to get hit by a truck, because then you can just lay there!

So it looks like we are staying, halleluyah!
So, I need to drought the more mature girls.
How do I do that?
Thanks!

Hahaha! Thanks, Stone! Haha, what a day!
Ok, as of this morning, we have a valid visa, and we can stay!!

Long story, I normally prefer Indicas (calms ADHD-like symptoms).
I used a new concentrate yesterday that was someone's homegrown sativa blend of Punto Rojo, Mango Biche, and Corinto.
I like sativas like it feels good to get hit by a truck, because then you can just lay there!

So it looks like we are staying, halleluyah!
So, I need to drought the more mature girls.
How do I do that?
Thanks!
Beautiful! It's easy yet a little complicated. You should go and read Krissi's or Maritimer's drought threads for the formal information. You've been there right?
I stop water and focus my attention on a few healthy leaves somewhere in the middle of the cola, a big main leaf. After a while it will wilt, and when the wilt angle(of the leaf stem in relation to the main stem) gets to 50 degrees (this the tricky part, and you need to see the text on their pages) the work is complete. It may take up to 11 days or just a few depending on the pot size and media. They all have a different response. Some huge, some meh. I try to do it on as any plants as possible as I've seen some incredible results!

Beautiful! It's easy yet a little complicated. You should go and read Krissi's or Maritimer's drought threads for the formal information.
Oohhhh, yeah! Knowing what you are doing it always good!
But time is going to be like hen's teeth for a while, but I will see what I can do.
You've been there right?
I stop water and focus my attention on a few healthy leaves somewhere in the middle of the cola, a big main leaf. After a while it will wilt, and when the wilt angle(of the leaf stem in relation to the main stem) gets to 50 degrees (this the tricky part, and you need to see the text on their pages) the work is complete. It may take up to 11 days or just a few depending on the pot size and media. They all have a different response. Some huge, some meh. I try to do it on as any plants as possible as I've seen some incredible results!
Got it. Thanks!
:thumb: :thanks:

And if I do not have time to learn on this grow, maybe the next one?

Hi @Bill284! I am waiting to move to my new place before starting my new grow. Hopefully that will be soon, but I am trying to get ready... so may I please ask you some questions?
I want to do a side-by-side comparison with autos in 5g SIP, and also SWICK, and your Perlite Parfaits.
And actually, I am most excited about your Perlite Parfaits, because it looks like they should work well with SWICK (and I am hoping to do a lot with SWICK, Father willing).
Only... then I realized I use different soil and stuff than you do! So I am hoping you can help me adjust.

To start with, I think you use regular soil, perlite, and bug frass (which I can't get) and some other stuff to make layers.
(I still don't understand the outer ring of Perlite.)

In contrast, I have been using Subcool Supersoil.
From all the SIP discussion I realized it had nowhere near the aeration it needs, so I just mixed it 50% with rice hulls (to open it up).
Here is the scenic birds-eye garbage can view:
1664678030614.png

And here is the obligatory trichrome bud shot:
1664678064524.png

Ok, so maybe my supersoil will breathe a bit better now?
Anyway, people are talking about their SIPs running out of gas before the grow is done, so my big plan was to use 5g commercial SIPS like Buds, and then fill the 5g cloth liner pots with:
- 3/4" of regular canna soil on the bottom (because Emmie says roots don't much go into that space),
- a Solo cup's worth of regular soil for the seed to get started in,
- and then everything else is 50/50 aerated supersoil.

So now, to compare to your Parfait, will it work to layer the ("New! Improved!") 50-50 supersoil with separate layers of rice hulls or Perlite?
I like the idea of your Parfaits (maybe also in a SWICK) because I can top-water with Azi's almost-free nutes (and I think they strongly urge bottom-watering with SIP??).

I am just looking for a no-time, stupid-simple way to get my medicine, and I think this might be it.
I would be so happy if your Perlite Parfait method is it, so I want to give it every chance.
Will it work if I layer my 50/50 supersoil mix with separate layers of aeration / Perlite?
Alternately, would that be TOO MUCH aeration?

Or how would you do it?

Also, I still do not understand why you put Perlite down the sides of the pot. I would think that the water would just roll off the sides.
Sorry, I still am not sure what you do there.
(Are you perhaps in plastic pots?? I thought you were in cloth pots??)

Also, what do you do with the runoff water?

Haha, further, I don't really understand the syringe thingy. (Sorry!)
If you water every day, then what is the function of the syringe????
(Sorry, not getting it.)

Thanks for your patience, comments and help!
It will be great to get started!

Hi @Azimuth !
Question for you:
If I put equal parts banana with brown sugar and 1/2 tsp of wc wait six months, does it become 1:1000 K ?
Or is banana peel better stored under water for three weeks?

Also, did you ever figure out how to top-water a SIP with your nutes?
Thanks.

If I put equal parts banana with brown sugar and 1/2 tsp of wc wait six months, does it become 1:1000 K ?
Close. Skip the wc. The brown sugar extracts the nutrients via osmotic pressure rather than microbes. The liquid will be ready to screen within a week or two, and then, yes, 1:1,000 dilution rate.

Or is banana peel better stored under water for three weeks?
Banana peel is different from banana. I would think the peel would be better extracted with water and microbes over a longer period of time.

Also, did you ever figure out how to top-water a SIP with your nutes?
I've been using dry amendments as a top dress and misting the mulch layer daily. This keeps that layer from drying out but doesn't add much to pot moisture. The SIPs should be mostly watered from below, but even the occasional light top watering should be fine after the roots are established. I think Emilya does that every two weeks when she applies her Geoflora nutes.

Hi @Bill284! I am waiting to move to my new place before starting my new grow. Hopefully that will be soon, but I am trying to get ready... so may I please ask you some questions?
I want to do a side-by-side comparison with autos in 5g SIP, and also SWICK, and your Perlite Parfaits.
And actually, I am most excited about your Perlite Parfaits, because it looks like they should work well with SWICK (and I am hoping to do a lot with SWICK, Father willing).
Only... then I realized I use different soil and stuff than you do! So I am hoping you can help me adjust.
The quality of the soil isn't vital.
Your loading it with microbes and fungi to take care of your roots.
And your feeding nutrients anyway so it shouldn't matter about the amount of nutrients in the soil.
To start with, I think you use regular soil, perlite, and bug frass
Perlite is very important to my method.
I'm not sure the rice hulls will hold air the same way Perlite does.
Frass can be substituted , let me see what else will work.
(which I can't get) and some other stuff to make layers.
(I still don't understand the outer ring of Perlite.)
The outer ring is for drainage and aeration.
You have a solid root ball in the middle.
Then my layers surrounding it.
The upper layers of perlite let the roots expand immediately.
within a couple days they have stretched to the outer edges getting air from the porous bag, or air pot.
The ring of perlite let's water drain down the outside of the pot.
Feeding those roots that shot out.
The slightly raised rootball in the center also forces water to the outside.
So all the roots shoot to the outside edges.
Getting air and water.
Then the 1" thick layers of perlite hold air in the pot.
So your roots have constant air and nutrients.
soilholds microbesthat careforthem.
it's the perfect growing environment.
In contrast, I have been using Subcool Supersoil.
From all the SIP discussion I realized it had nowhere near the aeration it needs, so I just mixed it 50% with rice hulls (to open it up).
Here is the scenic birds-eye garbage can view:
1664678030614.png

And here is the obligatory trichrome bud shot:
1664678064524.png

Ok, so maybe my supersoil will breathe a bit better now?
Anyway, people are talking about their SIPs running out of gas before the grow is done, so my big plan was to use 5g commercial SIPS like Buds, and then fill the 5g cloth liner pots with:
- 3/4" of regular canna soil on the bottom (because Emmie says roots don't much go into that space),
By the time you harvest the entire pot is full of roots.
Top to bottom, thick.
- a Solo cup's worth of regular soil for the seed to get started in,
- and then everything else is 50/50 aerated supersoil.

So now, to compare to your Parfait, will it work to layer the ("New! Improved!") 50-50 supersoil with separate layers of rice hulls or Perlite?
I like the idea of your Parfaits (maybe also in a SWICK) because I can top-water with Azi's almost-free nutes (and I think they strongly urge bottom-watering with SIP??).
I pour enough nutrients every day to absolutely soak the pots.
Top to bottom soaking wet dripping nutrients.
Some empty in 8 hrs, that's soil. DAILY.
I am just looking for a no-time, stupid-simple way to get my medicine, and I think this might be it.
I would be so happy if your Perlite Parfait method is it, so I want to give it every chance.
Will it work if I layer my 50/50 supersoil mix with separate layers of aeration / Perlite?
Alternately, would that be TOO MUCH aeration?
Not too much, never too much.
More is always better. It's like adding an extra bubbler to your dwc.
More is better. :thumb:
Or how would you do it?

Also, I still do not understand why you put Perlite down the sides of the pot. I would think that the water would just roll off the sides.
It does roll off the sides.
That is the point.
lots of air and water.
The outer edges of perlite let the soil breathe.
So when you flood the top of the pot it sucks Fresh Air in behind it.
Like a plunger.
Sucking in fresh air every time you water.
So the more you water the more Fresh Air gets sucked in.
Sorry, I still am not sure what you do there.
Put an air pot on top of a SIP system.
Best of both.
(Are you perhaps in plastic pots?? I thought you were in cloth pots??)
I prefer air pots.
But I have about 15 in bags.
This method will work in plastic pots aswell.
But cloth or air pots are best.
I highly recommend Air Pots.
The self pruning is worth it.
Also, what do you do with the runoff water?
In the tent I got oil pans from the dollar store.
Put a rack on top.
When they fill I'd grab my little shopmvac and suck them out.
It's all in my Gorilla Glue clone thread and in purple pics.
Haha, further, I don't really understand the syringe thingy. (Sorry!)
If you water every day, then what is the function of the syringe????
The syringe I used in solo cups.
Squirter water downthe outer edgesto get roots to come out.
Instead of soaking the cup.
strictly for training roots in a solo.
root ball is vital to my method.
(Sorry, not getting it.)

Thanks for your patience, comments and help!
No problem, I'm still trying to figure out how to pots a video. :rofl:
In the meantime I'll answer any questions I can.
Did I miss any?
It will be great to get started!
Looking forward to your new grow.
Talk soon my friend.
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Close. Skip the wc. The brown sugar extracts the nutrients via osmotic pressure rather than microbes. The liquid will be ready to screen within a week or two, and then, yes, 1:1,000 dilution rate.
Banana peel is different from banana. I would think the peel would be better extracted with water and microbes over a longer period of time.
Oops!! I meant to ask about banana peel.
So simple water and microbes (wc) is better for banana peel, than brown sugar extraction?
I've been using dry amendments as a top dress and misting the mulch layer daily. This keeps that layer from drying out but doesn't add much to pot moisture. The SIPs should be mostly watered from below, but even the occasional light top watering should be fine after the roots are established. I think Emilya does that every two weeks when she applies her Geoflora nutes.

Yeah, ok. Good. Thanks.
I saw that @Emilya Green topdresses with @GeoFlora Nutrients .
I was just wondering if GeoFlora had any kind of a routing where you mix the nutrients with the soil (a la supersoil), or if they still recomment top dressing in the SIP environment.

So simple water and microbes (wc) is better for banana peel, than brown sugar extraction?
Yes. There is less moisture in the peel so you'd get a lot less extracting it with sugar. Doesn't mean you can't do, just more effective with water and microbes I think. The Jadam water version is a 1:25ish dilution rate.

I was just wondering if GeoFlora had any kind of a routing where you mix the nutrients with the soil (a la supersoil), or if they still recomment top dressing in the SIP environment.
I think they recommend mixing the first round into the soil and letting it sit/cook for a couple of weeks and then topdressing when you plant and every two weeks from there. You'd have to check their thread.

Yes. There is less moisture in the peel so you'd get a lot less extracting it with sugar. Doesn't mean you can't do, just more effective with water and microbes I think. The Jadam water version is a 1:25ish dilution rate.

I think they recommend mixing the first round into the soil and letting it sit/cook for a couple of weeks and then topdressing when you plant and every two weeks from there. You'd have to check their thread.
Yep. there's an initial soil loading. Then every two weeks.

Hey @Bill284 !
Thanks for your answers!
I think I get what you are trying to say.
The quality of the soil isn't vital.
Your loading it with microbes and fungi to take care of your roots.
And your feeding nutrients anyway so it shouldn't matter about the amount of nutrients in the soil.
Ok, that is a VERY different approach from supersoil!
Perlite is very important to my method.
I'm not sure the rice hulls will hold air the same way Perlite does.
Frass can be substituted , let me see what else will work.
Ok, I will use Perlite for my Parfait tests.
The outer ring is for drainage and aeration.
You have a solid root ball in the middle.
Then my layers surrounding it.
The upper layers of perlite let the roots expand immediately.
within a couple days they have stretched to the outer edges getting air from the porous bag, or air pot.
The ring of perlite let's water drain down the outside of the pot.
Feeding those roots that shot out.
The slightly raised rootball in the center also forces water to the outside.
So all the roots shoot to the outside edges.
Getting air and water.
Then the 1" thick layers of perlite hold air in the pot.
So your roots have constant air and nutrients.
soilholds microbesthat careforthem.
it's the perfect growing environment.

By the time you harvest the entire pot is full of roots.
Top to bottom, thick.

I pour enough nutrients every day to absolutely soak the pots.
Top to bottom soaking wet dripping nutrients.
Some empty in 8 hrs, that's soil. DAILY.

Not too much, never too much.
More is always better. It's like adding an extra bubbler to your dwc.
More is better. :thumb:

It does roll off the sides.
That is the point.
lots of air and water.
The outer edges of perlite let the soil breathe.
So when you flood the top of the pot it sucks Fresh Air in behind it.
Like a plunger.
Sucking in fresh air every time you water.
So the more you water the more Fresh Air gets sucked in.

Put an air pot on top of a SIP system.
Best of both.

I prefer air pots.
But I have about 15 in bags.
This method will work in plastic pots aswell.
But cloth or air pots are best.
I highly recommend Air Pots.
The self pruning is worth it.

In the tent I got oil pans from the dollar store.
Put a rack on top.
When they fill I'd grab my little shopmvac and suck them out.
It's all in my Gorilla Glue clone thread and in purple pics.

The syringe I used in solo cups.
Squirter water downthe outer edgesto get roots to come out.
Instead of soaking the cup.
strictly for training roots in a solo.
root ball is vital to my method.

No problem, I'm still trying to figure out how to pots a video. :rofl:
In the meantime I'll answer any questions I can.
Did I miss any?

Looking forward to your new grow.
Talk soon my friend.
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Ok, thanks, amigo!
I think I understand what you are trying to say.
It sounds very good!

I should check out air pots.

It sounds like the idea is to get the soil good and wet, but with max aeration.
That way the plants have all the food they need right there, and also max air??
I am eager to try it!
Right now we are just waiting to see about the truck.
Thank you!

Ahhh, you have to cook it.
That means I should start it now.
How do I find their thread?

Back
Top Bottom